The Time-Life Cookbooks: Foods of the World series

Old 22-07-2006, 07:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Time-Life Cookbooks: Foods of the World series

Heya folks,

A bunch of us in chat tonight got to talking about the Time-Life
series, The Foods of The World. Seems like most of us, at least in
chat, have a few volumes of that series.

We were talking about how it was some of our first gourmet cooking,
and about some of the dishes that were pictured there...

How many of you have some or all of these volumes? Did you do any
cooking from them? Are the pages soiled with your drooling over some
of the dishes pictured in those books? Any favorite dishes from this
series?

Some of my volumes are heavily stained. I have the whole series..and
I know I cooked a lot from the earlier volumes.

I was googling for this series online, and realized that there were
some noted food writers that T-L enlisted to write them...like MFK
Fisher, Waverly Root, Joseph Wechsberg, James Beard, Craig
Claiborne...and probably a lot more that I can't remember. My own
series will be out of storage come this next week, and I can't wait to
rediscover it.. Maybe even do some cooking from them...

What are your experiences with this landmark series?

Christine
Old 22-07-2006, 07:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote on 22 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking

What are your experiences with this landmark series?

Christine

Never owned any...Never heard of them till I started posting in this group.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Old 22-07-2006, 08:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" wrote in message
[...]

Christine, we have almost all of them, or at least 23-24 or so. The original
Time Life series with the cookbook and the recipe book published separately
were edited by the late Michael Field. He is one of the greatest cookbook
writers ever, and his Michael Field's Cooking School still sits in the
middle of the bookshelf, along with Culinary Classics and Improvisations,
and All Manner of Food. Very sadly, he died at a young age. The series is,
by today's standards, just as good as it was then. I chase something in them
fairly often, especially if it is from a cuisine one chases rarely.
The second Time Life series was edited by Richard Olney, another great
cookbook author. I find his rhetoric, however, more difficult to follow. The
content, however, is excellent. I chase in them frequently as well.
Both can be found in used bookstores, frequently at low prices. I would
heartily recommend snatching issues up from either series.
Kent

Old 22-07-2006, 08:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 00:22:45 -0700, "Kent" wrote:

[...]

Kent,

I have the whole Foods of The World series already... I started
getting it when I was in high school.. It came every other month..and
I was ecstatic when a new volume was delivered. I poured through
it..and drooled over the recipes and the pictures.

I have almost the whole series of the Good Cook too..maybe missing one
or two volumes of that series.

But the Foods of the World series..has such a special place in my
heart. I learned to cook "gourmet" from that series...things like
risotto...and osso buco... And chocolate mousse. To this day, I
think the chocolate mousse recipe from the volume, The Cooking of
Provincial France is the best ever. And I have been exposed to some
great chocolate desserts, and cookbooks.

I am soon getting all these volumes out of storage. As I mentioned,
several of us in the chat channel were talking about these
volumes..and the idea has come up (at least from me) to explore these
volumes again, and try cooking from them. There are some good recipes
there.

Those of you who have these volumes..interested in joining in on
trying some of the recipes? Either for the first time, or again?

Christine
Old 22-07-2006, 08:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 00:22:45 -0700, "Kent" wrote:

The original
Time Life series with the cookbook and the recipe book published separately
were edited by the late Michael Field. He is one of the greatest cookbook
writers ever, and his Michael Field's Cooking School still sits in the
middle of the bookshelf, along with Culinary Classics and Improvisations,
and All Manner of Food.

I have two of those books in my collection: Michael Field's Cooking
School, and Culinary Classics and Improvisations. Great books
I love the greek lamb recipe in the Cooking School book....hmm...I
need to make that again....

Don't have All Manner of Food.. that one I have been looking for, for
years...

Christine
Old 22-07-2006, 10:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote in
:

Heya folks,

A bunch of us in chat tonight got to talking about the Time-Life
series, The Foods of The World. Seems like most of us, at least in
chat, have a few volumes of that series.

Christine,

I misread the subject line as Food of the World Series. I thought STADIUM
FOOD!

Rats,

Andy
Old 22-07-2006, 12:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Christine Dabney wrote:
A bunch of us in chat tonight got to talking about the Time-Life
series, The Foods of The World.

What are your experiences with this landmark series?

Christine

The only thing I remember making is the meringue thing that's on the
cooking of the one about the Viennese Empire (I think that's the one).
I quit buying them after the first 10-15 or so. How many are in the
complete series, Christine?
--
-Barb
http://jamlady.eboard.com Updated 7-19-2006, Visit to our Country
Old 22-07-2006, 12:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Christine Dabney wrote:

I was ecstatic when a new volume was delivered. I poured through
it..and drooled over the recipes and the pictures.

You poured what through it? Didn't you ruin the pages pouring stuff
while you were poring through the volume?

OB Jam:

Barb Schaller's Spiced Blueberry Jam
posted to rec.food.cooking 7-22-2006

2 cups crushed blueberries (Exactly one pint did it!)
3-1/2 cups sugar
zest from one smallish orange
juice from the orange plus lime juice to make 1/4 cup if shy of the
measure
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 - 3 oz pouch Ball liquid fruit pectin

Set four half pint jars to boiling.

Combine the blues, the sugar, the orange zest and juice, and the spices
in a large kettle. Cook, stirring to dissolve the sugar and bring to a
boil. Stir in liquid pectin, return to a hard boil and boil for one
minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir occasionally
for five minutes, jar up, seal and process in a boiling water bath for
10 minutes.

Dayam! This is good enough to eat. :-) Did I mention that I don't eat
the stuff I make? :-) True. There's enough scraped from the pan for a
couple pieces of toast in the morning. It could happen.

Old 22-07-2006, 05:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 01:30:07 -0600, Christine Dabney
wrote:

I have the whole Foods of The World series already... I started
getting it when I was in high school.. It came every other month..and
I was ecstatic when a new volume was delivered. I poured through
it..and drooled over the recipes and the pictures.

I'll bet that I would own and use the entire set if I'd started young,
like you did. I'm finding that I'm less and less adventurous about
cooking now than I was way back when.

Our guest room has an African decorating theme (Cathy says the stuff
is authentic - YAY!). I have a few books about Africa (eBay), between
two elephant-head bookends, including a few cookbooks. I found the
Time-Life Africa book (just the large one) at the local thrift store,
so that's there, too. Thought it would be fun for any foodies who
happened to stop by for a night or three.

Carol
Old 22-07-2006, 06:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 04:12:32 -0500, Andy q wrote:

I misread the subject line as Food of the World Series. I thought STADIUM
FOOD!

You weren't the only one. I *thought* this was a little early for the
end of baseball season! LOL!

Carol
Old 22-07-2006, 06:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 06:59:55 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

Christine Dabney wrote:

I was ecstatic when a new volume was delivered. I poured through
it..and drooled over the recipes and the pictures.

You poured what through it? Didn't you ruin the pages pouring stuff
while you were poring through the volume?

She was too young and poor to know any better.

Carol
Old 22-07-2006, 06:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
news
On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 04:12:32 -0500, Andy q wrote:

I misread the subject line as Food of the World Series. I thought
STADIUM FOOD!

You weren't the only one. I *thought* this was a little early for the
end of baseball season! LOL!

Carol

Carol,

Heh heh heh. It took me to read the first couple posts before I noticed
nobody mentioned any stadiums of past World Series and the final knife
through the heart was the absence of recipes!

Oh Wa Tah Nah Siam! (

Andy
Old 22-07-2006, 06:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:50:54 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

I started REALLY getting interested in cooking when I
was about 10, and my parents, both of whom worked, were pretty happy
about that.

When I was that age, I asked for an unabridged dictionary for
Christmas.

Carol
Old 22-07-2006, 06:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:23:13 -0500, Andy q wrote:

Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
news
On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 04:12:32 -0500, Andy q wrote:

I misread the subject line as Food of the World Series. I thought
STADIUM FOOD!

You weren't the only one. I *thought* this was a little early for the
end of baseball season! LOL!

Heh heh heh. It took me to read the first couple posts before I noticed
nobody mentioned any stadiums of past World Series and the final knife
through the heart was the absence of recipes!

I know this isn't technically stadium food, but it might help ease
your pain just a bit.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Kettle Corn

Recipe By :Carol Peterson (Damsel)
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Signature Dishes Snacks-Sweet

vegetable oil
popcorn
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
salt -- for sprinkling

In a three-quart saucepan (or "kettle") with a tight-fitting lid, pour
enough oil to cover to a depth of about one-half the size of a popcorn
kernel. Add two "test" kernels of popcorn, and turn heat to medium
high. When the test kernels pop, the oil is hot enough to continue.

Quickly pour in enough popcorn to cover the bottom of the saucepan in
an even layer. Sprinkle the sugar over the unpopped kernels, and
place the lid on the pan. As the corn pops, shake the pan
occasionally to assure that unpopped kernels reach the bottom of the
pan. When the lid starts to lift off the pan and the popping slows or
stops, remove pan from heat.

Pour popped corn into a large bowl or several smaller ones. Dust
lightly with salt.

Yield:
"12 cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Old 22-07-2006, 06:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

Christine, if you are starting a chat group on the internet I'd be very
interested in participating. Of my huge mass of cookbooks, I reach for these
often, usually when I can't find what I am looking for elsewhere. I should
probably start with this series and go from there.
Recently I barbecued bone in leg of lamb[The American West]. Virtually all
recipes are for boneless leg, which makes no sense to me. The lamb gets
drier and loses flavor. In addition if it's butterflied it also loses its
visual appeal. You don't need a recipe for barbecued leg of lamb, though
it's always fun to look back. Another great recipe I hadn't thought of, now
made for awhile is Bigos[Quintet of Cuisines]
Just for us to share I cooked "this" or "that" would send you digging
through the volumes again. In the Good Cook, when I want to braise pork loin
I head right to Richard Olney's recipe.
The original series is also fun to read in bed. You can look at the
pictures.
Kent