Rick & Cyndi

Default How long can you corn beef

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
: On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:15:52 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
: > wrote:
:
: >: Depends on the brine ingredients and concentration. Usually
: >three
: >: weeks would be fine for a full brisket.
: >:
: >: Cook it and see what happens. If we don't hear back from
: >you...
: >:
: >: -sw
: >========
: >
: >Whoa - three weeks?!
:
: Yes - three weeks.
:
: >Mine definitely doesn't take that long.
:
: ...
: >Mix together and cover a beef round. Marinate in the fridge
for
: >2 - 4 days before cooking.
:
: That will not produce a corned beef. Most respectable recipes
call
: for brining the meat 4-5 days for each inch of thickness.
:
: -sw
==========

It DOES produce corned beef and it's delicious. And yes, I do
realize that there are brines that suggest "x" number of days per
thickness but I prefer my recipe to those. I also dislike
"salty" foods which may be one of the main reasons that I prefer
mine to those others.

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

PENMART01

"Rick & Cyndi" writes:

>"Steve Wertz" wrote:
>: "Rick & Cyndi" wrote:
>:
>: >epends on the brine ingredients and concentration.
>: >:Usually three weeks would be fine for a full brisket.
>: >:
>: >: Cook it and see what happens. If we don't hear back from
>: >you...
>: >
>: >Whoa - three weeks?!
>:
>: Yes - three weeks.
>:
>: >Mine definitely doesn't take that long.
>:
>: >Mix together and cover a beef round.
>: >Marinate in the fridge for
>: >2 - 4 days before cooking.
>:
>:That will not produce a corned beef. Most respectable recipes
>:call for brining the meat 4-5 days for each inch of thickness.
>
>It DOES produce corned beef and it's delicious. And yes, I do
>realize that there are brines that suggest "x" number of days per
>thickness but I prefer my recipe to those. I also dislike
>"salty" foods which may be one of the main reasons that I prefer
>mine to those others.

Corning is a method used for retarding spoilage, not for preserving, but still
requires a brine with a salinity strong enough to prevent spoilage in the short
term, which for corned beef means still a fairly strong solution, approximately
1lb of salt for each gallon of water (recipes vary but not by much)... though
this is sufficient brine strength to hold for 4-5 days (and at 34F.) it is not
near strong enough to keep beef from spoiling for a much longer term, certainly
not for 3 weeks. Increasing the brine strength so that it prevents spoilage
for more than a week would venture over into the *preserving* catagory,
requiring several soakings/rinses before the meat would be edible - this is NOT
corned beef - sounds more like sqwertz corny bull shit.

Btw, you're not off the proverbial meat hook... anyone who catagorically states
that they "dislike "salty" foods" has no business eating corned beef, and is
certainly no corned beef maven.

I know neither of you have ever prepared corned beef nor have yoose ever eaten
real corned beef... probably gobbled a chub of that corned turkey crap from the
stupidmarket deli... with ketchup.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Hahabogus

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>: On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:15:52 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
>: > wrote:
>:
>: >: Depends on the brine ingredients and concentration. Usually
>: >three
>: >: weeks would be fine for a full brisket.
>: >:
>: >: Cook it and see what happens. If we don't hear back from
>: >you...
>: >:
>: >: -sw
>: >========
>: >
>: >Whoa - three weeks?!
>:
>: Yes - three weeks.
>:
>: >Mine definitely doesn't take that long.
>:
>: ...
>: >Mix together and cover a beef round. Marinate in the fridge
> for
>: >2 - 4 days before cooking.
>:
>: That will not produce a corned beef. Most respectable recipes
> call
>: for brining the meat 4-5 days for each inch of thickness.
>:
>: -sw
> ==========
>
> It DOES produce corned beef and it's delicious. And yes, I do
> realize that there are brines that suggest "x" number of days per
> thickness but I prefer my recipe to those. I also dislike
> "salty" foods which may be one of the main reasons that I prefer
> mine to those others.
>
> Cyndi
> <Remove a "b" to reply>

If you desire to check back in the archives...Hag and I did several
experiments on the making of Corned beef last year...We determined that 4-6
days was prime for the brine we used and that a day or 2 of rest out of the
brine helped equalize the flavors in the meat.
Rick & Cyndi

<snip>

: If you desire to check back in the archives...Hag and I did
several
: experiments on the making of Corned beef last year...We
determined that 4-6
: days was prime for the brine we used and that a day or 2 of
rest out of the
: brine helped equalize the flavors in the meat.
========

Yep. I remember that. I generally do mine 3-4 days... It
usually depends upon if I remember to start the brine early
enough in the week that I plan on eating it!

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:16:47 -0400, travis
> wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:07:06 GMT, Hahabogus >
>began spewing the following from their cake-hole:
>
>>travis > wrote in
m:

>>> "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a
>>> woodchuck could chuck wood?" :-)
>>>

>>Simple...None as woodchucks don't have thumbs. This lack also

interferes
>>with any bowling tournaments planned by the little furry

buggers...but
>>this isn't well documented because since they lack thumbs they can't

hold a
>>pen.

>You can tune a piano. Can you tuna fish? *cringe*

Of course you can - using it's scales...

How long 2 boil corn on the cob? Caesar General Cooking 31 17-08-2006 04:47 AM
All-Day-Long Crockpot Beef Tim Recipes 0 09-09-2005 11:54 AM
All-Day-Long Crockpot Beef Duckie ® Recipes 0 14-04-2005 12:28 PM
All-Day-Long Crockpot Beef terrymcintire Recipes 1 17-10-2004 11:54 AM
All-Day-Long Crockpot Beef Alan_B Diabetic 7 24-09-2004 05:11 AM