Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sugar Humidity Tips

Does anyone know how to keep sugar in a sugar shaker dry? (White
Sugar.)

At work we have an ant problem, so I got a sugar shaker to solve the
spillage problem. But now it's humid, and the sugar gets stuck in the
shaker.

I know mom used to put rice in the salt shaker to keep it from clumping
up. Is there anything similar for sugar?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Does anyone know how to keep sugar in a sugar shaker dry? (White
> Sugar.)

Granulated/powdered??

> At work we have an ant problem, so I got a sugar shaker to solve the
> spillage problem. But now it's humid, and the sugar gets stuck in the
> shaker.

Simple... don't use a sugar shaker. duh

Instead use an air-tite sealed canister... will keep humidity out and
keep ants out too... what made you think ants wouldn't find the *holes*
of a sugar shaker? DUH

There are also self-closing sugar dispensers... many restaurants use
them.

Sheldon Emmet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Sheldon wrote:

> Sheldon Emmet

penmart pismire

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 13 Jul 2006 08:12:10a, meant to say...

> Does anyone know how to keep sugar in a sugar shaker dry? (White
> Sugar.)
>
> At work we have an ant problem, so I got a sugar shaker to solve the
> spillage problem. But now it's humid, and the sugar gets stuck in the
> shaker.
>
> I know mom used to put rice in the salt shaker to keep it from clumping
> up. Is there anything similar for sugar?
>
> Thanks in advance.

As with salt, you could put rice in the shaker along with the sugar to reduce
the moisture. It should work in the same way. You could also cover the
holes in the lid with masking tape.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Virtue needs some cheaper thrills - Hobbes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Thu 13 Jul 2006 08:12:10a, meant to say...
>
> > Does anyone know how to keep sugar in a sugar shaker dry? (White
> > Sugar.)
> >
> > At work we have an ant problem, so I got a sugar shaker to solve the
> > spillage problem. But now it's humid, and the sugar gets stuck in the
> > shaker.
> >
> > I know mom used to put rice in the salt shaker to keep it from clumping
> > up. Is there anything similar for sugar?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

> As with salt, you could put rice in the shaker along with the sugar to reduce
> the moisture. It should work in the same way. You could also cover the
> holes in the lid with masking tape.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> Virtue needs some cheaper thrills - Hobbes

Yeah the hole is a little too big, and I'd end up with Rice in my
coffee. And I'd prefer not to cover it up with tape. The point of the
sugar shaker was easy access to sugar in a clean way. Fussing with
masking tape would detract from that.

I could go with sugar cubes, but they're a little pricier. Was hoping
from some decent *non-sarcastic* tips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Does anyone know how to keep sugar in a sugar shaker dry? (White
> Sugar.)
>
> At work we have an ant problem, so I got a sugar shaker to solve the
> spillage problem. But now it's humid, and the sugar gets stuck in the
> shaker.

You must have very polite ants where you live, possibly charm school grads.
Where I live, if humidity can get to the sugar, those micro-ants will get to
it.. Good luck, LOL!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Does anyone know how to keep sugar in a sugar shaker dry? (White
> Sugar.)
>
> At work we have an ant problem, so I got a sugar shaker to solve the
> spillage problem. But now it's humid, and the sugar gets stuck in the
> shaker.
>
> I know mom used to put rice in the salt shaker to keep it from clumping
> up. Is there anything similar for sugar?
>
> Thanks in advance.

The restaurants around here use a saltine cracker in the sugar. If it's one
of those dispensers with the little flip top so you can pour the sugar rice
wouldn't work very well since people would end up with rice in their coffee.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 13 Jul 2006 12:58:24p, meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Thu 13 Jul 2006 08:12:10a, meant to say...
>>
>> > Does anyone know how to keep sugar in a sugar shaker dry? (White
>> > Sugar.)
>> >
>> > At work we have an ant problem, so I got a sugar shaker to solve the
>> > spillage problem. But now it's humid, and the sugar gets stuck in
>> > the shaker.
>> >
>> > I know mom used to put rice in the salt shaker to keep it from
>> > clumping up. Is there anything similar for sugar?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.

>> As with salt, you could put rice in the shaker along with the sugar to
>> reduce the moisture. It should work in the same way. You could also
>> cover the holes in the lid with masking tape.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> Virtue needs some cheaper thrills - Hobbes

> Yeah the hole is a little too big, and I'd end up with Rice in my
> coffee. And I'd prefer not to cover it up with tape. The point of the
> sugar shaker was easy access to sugar in a clean way. Fussing with
> masking tape would detract from that.
>
> I could go with sugar cubes, but they're a little pricier. Was hoping
> from some decent *non-sarcastic* tips.

My suggests were hardly meant as sarcastic. They were measures I would try
myself.

Perhaps you should just stuff the whole damn sugar shaker down your throat
or up your ass, whichever fits better, and be done with it.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Virtue needs some cheaper thrills - Hobbes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
news :: On 13 Jul 2006 12:58:24 -0700, wrote:
::
::: Was hoping from some decent *non-sarcastic* tips.
::
:: It's an honest
:: effort to help you get along better with the people who are trying
:: help you with your humidity problem.
::
:: Carol

Did he wet his pants?

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message

|| On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:34:40 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:
||| "Damsel in dat Dress" wrote
sensitive.
||| Phgggttttt~~
|| Your colons are driving me NUTS! Just thought I'd mention that.
|| Heehee!
|| Carol

Are the pipes better?

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:58:59 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message

>|| On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:34:40 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:
>|| Your colons are driving me NUTS! Just thought I'd mention that.
>|| Heehee!
>|| Carol
>
>Are the pipes better?

As a matter of fact, yes, they are. Thank you!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Jul 2006 18:05:42 -0700, " >
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>> Your colons are driving me NUTS! Just thought I'd mention that.

>My colon drives me nuts sometimes, especially if I eat too much
>chocolate.

Pretty smooth, the way you worked food into this.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Cherry Bars (Cake)

Recipe By :Francis I. Jerzak, 25th Bake-Off® Contest, 1974
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes and Frostings Cookies and Bars

--- Cake/Bars ---
1 box Pillsbury Devils Food Cake Mix
1 can Wilderness Cherry Pie Filling
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 large eggs -- beaten
--- Frosting ---
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
5 tablespoons butter
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 15x10x1-inch baking pan (for
bars) or 13x9-inch pan (for cake). In large bowl, combine all cake bar
ingredients; stir until well blended. Pour into greased and floured
pan.

2. Bake at 350°F. until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
For 15x10x1-inch pan, bake 20 to 30 minutes; for 13x9-inch pan, bake
25 to 35 minutes.

3. In small saucepan, combine sugar, milk and butter. Bring to a boil.
Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in
chocolate chips until smooth. Pour and spread over warm bars. Cool 1
1/4 hours or until completely cooled. Cut into bars.

Source:
"http://www.pillsbury.com/"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14 Jul 2006 03:12:13 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Thu 13 Jul 2006 05:56:58p, Damsel in dis Dress meant to say...
>
>> On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:34:40 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:
>>
>>>"Damsel in dat Dress" wrote
>>>:: On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:14:58 -0400, " BOB" wrote:
>>>::
>>>::: "Damsel in dat Dress" wrote
>>>::::: On 13 Jul 2006 12:58:24 -0700, wrote:
>>>:::::
>>>:::::: Was hoping from some decent *non-sarcastic* tips.
>>>:::::
>>>::::: It's an honest
>>>::::: effort to help you get along better with the people who are
>>>::::: trying to help you with your humidity problem.
>>>:::
>>>::: Did he wet his pants?
>>>::
>>>:: Shhhhh! I think we should be discreet. He seems a little
>>>:: sensitive.
>>>::
>>>:: Carol
>>>
>>>Phgggttttt~~

>> Your colons are driving me NUTS! Just thought I'd mention that.
>> Heehee!

>He has more than one colon?

He was suffering from Multiple Colon Disorder. Now he's behind bars.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> My suggests were hardly meant as sarcastic. They were measures I
> would try myself.
>
> Perhaps you should just stuff the whole damn sugar shaker down your
> throat or up your ass, whichever fits better, and be done with it.

I don't think you were the one he found sarcastic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Jul 2006 18:53:06 -0700, "bastettkatt"

>> Does anyone know how to keep sugar in a sugar shaker dry? (White
>> Sugar.)
>>
>> At work we have an ant problem, so I got a sugar shaker to solve the
>> spillage problem. But now it's humid, and the sugar gets stuck in the
>> shaker.
>>
>> I know mom used to put rice in the salt shaker to keep it from clumping
>> up. Is there anything similar for sugar?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

>Granny use a saline cracker, the moist goes to the cracker. In the
>sugar jar that held the bag of sugar she use this clay shaped bear," A
>Sugar Bear" you can get them for places like cooking store specialities
>place. Or sounds nasty will work cheese cloth or panty hose new of
>course with a tablespoon of raw white rice will work too, in a large
>contianer like 5 pound bag size use 5 Tablespoons of rice.
>EM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 13 Jul 2006 09:00:33p, Janet Puistonen meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> My suggests were hardly meant as sarcastic. They were measures I
>> would try myself.
>>
>> Perhaps you should just stuff the whole damn sugar shaker down your
>> throat or up your ass, whichever fits better, and be done with it.

> I don't think you were the one he found sarcastic.

Unless I'm missing some intervening posts, his comment appears to be in
direct response to what I posted.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Virtue needs some cheaper thrills - Hobbes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dat Dress" wrote
> On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:58:59 -0400, " BOB" < wrote:
>
>> "Damsel in dat Dress" wrote

>> Are the pipes better?

> As a matter of fact, yes, they are. Thank you!
>
> Carol

I could use these thingies. The default is the colons, though.
Sometimes, it changes back after I do some maintenance on the
computer. I kinda like it. It changes *everybodys* so I don't have
to/get to see what others use. But then there are the googlers where
you can't tell who said what or in what order.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Does anyone know how to keep sugar in a sugar shaker dry? (White
> Sugar.)
>
> At work we have an ant problem, so I got a sugar shaker to solve the
> spillage problem. But now it's humid, and the sugar gets stuck in the
> shaker.
>
> I know mom used to put rice in the salt shaker to keep it from
> clumping
> up. Is there anything similar for sugar?

Aren't there shakers with a twist top that can be twisted to various
sized holes? One position should be closed entirely, which might stop
the humidity from getting in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>, "Sheldon" > wrote:

wrote:
>> Does anyone know how to keep sugar in a sugar shaker dry? (White
>> Sugar.)

>Granulated/powdered??
>
>> At work we have an ant problem, so I got a sugar shaker to solve the
>> spillage problem. But now it's humid, and the sugar gets stuck in the
>> shaker.

>Simple... don't use a sugar shaker. duh
>
>Instead use an air-tite sealed canister... will keep humidity out and
>keep ants out too... what made you think ants wouldn't find the *holes*
>of a sugar shaker? DUH
>
>There are also self-closing sugar dispensers... many restaurants use
>them.

Even cafes. ;-)

But, glad to see you back, Shels, me old mate. I thought your new PC
wasn't due till August, and was a bit concerned about holding my
breath that long. Have you get it now, or are you compromising?

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM MoM is offline

If it's in a shaker and the holes are not too big, put some rice in it.

MoM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Does anyone know how to keep sugar in a sugar shaker dry? (White
> Sugar.)
>
> At work we have an ant problem, so I got a sugar shaker to solve the
> spillage problem. But now it's humid, and the sugar gets stuck in the
> shaker.
>
> I know mom used to put rice in the salt shaker to keep it from clumping
> up. Is there anything similar for sugar?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM MoM is offline

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> Oh pshaw, on Thu 13 Jul 2006 08:12:10a, meant to say...
>
>> Does anyone know how to keep sugar in a sugar shaker dry? (White
>> Sugar.)
>>
>> At work we have an ant problem, so I got a sugar shaker to solve the
>> spillage problem. But now it's humid, and the sugar gets stuck in the
>> shaker.
>>
>> I know mom used to put rice in the salt shaker to keep it from clumping
>> up. Is there anything similar for sugar?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

> As with salt, you could put rice in the shaker along with the sugar to
> reduce
> the moisture. It should work in the same way. You could also cover the
> holes in the lid with masking tape.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> Virtue needs some cheaper thrills - Hobbes

I just thought of another idea. I save the silicone hard little tubs in
my meds and through one of them in my sugar.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:39:10 -0400, MoM > wrote
in >:

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> Oh pshaw, on Thu 13 Jul 2006 08:12:10a, meant to say...
>>
>>> Does anyone know how to keep sugar in a sugar shaker dry? (White
>>> Sugar.)
>>>
>>> At work we have an ant problem, so I got a sugar shaker to solve the
>>> spillage problem. But now it's humid, and the sugar gets stuck in the
>>> shaker.
>>>
>>> I know mom used to put rice in the salt shaker to keep it from clumping
>>> up. Is there anything similar for sugar?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

>> As with salt, you could put rice in the shaker along with the sugar to
>> reduce
>> the moisture. It should work in the same way. You could also cover the
>> holes in the lid with masking tape.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> Virtue needs some cheaper thrills - Hobbes
>>

> I just thought of another idea. I save the silicone hard little tubs in
> my meds and through one of them in my sugar.
>
> MoM

NO! Silica Gel is toxic!

--
Die dulci fruere,
Nicolaas.

.... There are three things I always forget: names, faces, and I've
forgotten the third

Humidity? Tim Smith Baking 5 10-05-2008 09:10 PM
Humidity and sourdough [email protected] Sourdough 7 26-01-2007 07:13 PM
Humidity and sourdough [email protected] Sourdough 11 21-01-2007 01:24 PM
Humidity and sourdough PastorDIC Sourdough 0 15-01-2007 01:30 AM
Humidity problem seb Winemaking 6 12-08-2004 02:51 AM