Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nasty Tilapia, a Basa and other questions...

Ok, let me preface this with the statement that I am not a fan of
eating fish....

I bought some frozen tilapia that looked pretty good - product of
China, imported into CA, individually wrapped and frozen, fileted.
Thawed O/N in the fridge and cooked this evening. Smelled fine after
thawing. I didn't really know what to do with them, so cooked them in
a similar manner as I do whole catfish - I oiled a baking dish lightly
and seasoned with a bit of onion powder, garlic granules, chili powder,
black and cayenne pepper - just a touch of everything - extremely
lightly seasoned. I covered the dish with foil and baked at 375 for
about 20 minutes - fish was moist, firm and flaky. I noticed a smell
after cooking - somewhat typical "fishy" smell - almost reminiscent of
canned tuna, but a bit odd, and the flavor was tuna-like as well. I
also noticed a distinct petroleum undertone to the flavor. I only ate
one piece and DH only ate a bite. DS thought it was chicken (LOL), but
only ate a bite too, which is unusual for him with any food. I tossed
the rest away.

So my questions are these: Does tilapia normally taste anything like
tuna? Could the petroleum taste have come from where the fish was
farmed (China) or is it more likely an effect of the packaging?

I am not inclined to buy this fish ever again. On the flip side I
bought and fried some Basa a few weeks ago which was delicious and then
I read it is farmed in Vietnam in water contaminated with human
excrement - is there any truth to that statement?

Also, what other fish should I try, as someone who generally doesn't
like fish? I am in the PNW - DH grew up on the East coast/Chesapeak
Bay eating fish daily. I like shrimp, halibut and "rock" (Atlantic
species, common name - have no idea what else it is called), as well as
freshwater rainbow trout, Northern pike and walleye. I do not like
Orange Roughy, Salmon, lobster, crabs or mollusks (except conch, which
I won't eat now). DH's favorite fish is rock but we can't get it here.
Any suggestions? (Other than sticking to poultry!)

TIA for any info,
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

> Also, what other fish should I try, as someone who generally doesn't
> like fish?

I haven't tried tilapia either, but we loved the Mahi-mahi (aka dorado,
I think) we had the other night - we grilled it. And have you tried
sole? (I don't find that too-fishy-tasting, FWIW). We do our sole in
seasoned flour and egg, and then pan fry. Very nice.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L wrote:

> what other fish should I try, as someone who generally doesn't
> like fish? I am in the PNW - DH grew up on the East coast/Chesapeak
> Bay eating fish daily. I like shrimp, halibut and "rock" (Atlantic
> species, common name - have no idea what else it is called), as well as
> freshwater rainbow trout, Northern pike and walleye. I do not like
> Orange Roughy, Salmon, lobster, crabs or mollusks (except conch, which
> I won't eat now). DH's favorite fish is rock but we can't get it here.
> Any suggestions? (Other than sticking to poultry!)

You might like sturgeon, shad, ling cod, black rockfish, blue rockfish, or
cabazon.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> Ok, let me preface this with the statement that I am not a fan of
> eating fish....
>
> I bought some frozen tilapia that looked pretty good - product of
> China, imported into CA, individually wrapped and frozen, fileted.

Hmmmm, the tilapia I get is from Florida, around the keys. It's cryovac'd.
It is not at all fishy, nor does it smell or taste like petroleum, neither
before nor after cooking it. Methinks you got a bad batch of something.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> -L. wrote:
>

>> Also, what other fish should I try, as someone who generally doesn't
>> like fish?

> I haven't tried tilapia either, but we loved the Mahi-mahi (aka
> dorado, I think) we had the other night - we grilled it. And have you
> tried sole? (I don't find that too-fishy-tasting, FWIW). We do our
> sole in seasoned flour and egg, and then pan fry. Very nice.

Sole in the U.S. is very expensive. It's also a very delicate fish when
filleted. I love sole piccata! But you need a wide spatula to turn it so
that the fillet doesn't fall apart.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> I bought some frozen tilapia that looked pretty good - product of
> China, imported into CA, individually wrapped and frozen, fileted.
> Thawed O/N in the fridge and cooked this evening. Smelled fine after
> thawing. I didn't really know what to do with them, so cooked them in
> a similar manner as I do whole catfish - I oiled a baking dish lightly
> and seasoned with a bit of onion powder, garlic granules, chili powder,
> black and cayenne pepper - just a touch of everything - extremely
> lightly seasoned. I covered the dish with foil and baked at 375 for
> about 20 minutes - fish was moist, firm and flaky. I noticed a smell
> after cooking - somewhat typical "fishy" smell - almost reminiscent of
> canned tuna, but a bit odd, and the flavor was tuna-like as well. I
> also noticed a distinct petroleum undertone to the flavor. I only ate
> one piece and DH only ate a bite. DS thought it was chicken (LOL), but
> only ate a bite too, which is unusual for him with any food. I tossed
> the rest away.

Did you cook it whole with the skin on?

I've tried tilapia both whole and fillet.
The whole tilapia is disgusting. The skin is slimy and lends a strong
fishy flavor to the meat.

The fillets are much better, clean but bland tasting. Needs a lot of
help. I prefer them either contact grilled with lots of seasoning, or
lightly coated with spiced corn starch and deep or pan fried.

Tilapia fillet is ok, but I'm not a huge fan of it. I'll get it if it's
cheaper than whiting. Whiting has NO flavor and needs lots of help, but
the texture is good. ;-)

Catfish nuggets, as a general rule, are the cheapest fish on the market,
at least around here so that's what we eat the most of.

I will _never_ EVER purchase whole tilapia with the skin on again!!!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> Sole is really
> pricey here in Missouri so I don't often buy it.

Sole is not that cheap here either, but its a family favorite, so we
splurge on it about once a month or so

The ones we buy are usually not frozen, and they will clean them for you
at the fishmongers if you ask them. I love a lot of different fish, but
cleaning and gutting them is not my idea of fun....

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "-L." >
> oups.com:
>
>> Ok, let me preface this with the statement that I am not a fan of
>> eating fish....
>>

>> So my questions are these: Does tilapia normally taste anything like
>> tuna? Could the petroleum taste have come from where the fish was
>> farmed (China) or is it more likely an effect of the packaging?

> What I buy here is frozen and not at all fishy or petroleum flavored.
> Do you remember the brand name? I love tilapia, never had it taste
> like tuna or petroleum.

(snippage)
> Swordfish is outrageous in price but I love it, so I buy it when I'm
> in the mood for steak. I'll grill a giant fillet of it and season as
> steak. Good eats.

Wow! I thought I was the only person who thought swordfish tastes like
steak! It truly does when grilled. It's like steak you can cut with a
fork! Fantasmagorical

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "-L." > wrote:
>
>> I bought some frozen tilapia that looked pretty good - product of
>> China, imported into CA, individually wrapped and frozen, fileted.
>> I noticed a smell after cooking - somewhat typical "fishy" smell -
>> almost reminiscent of canned tuna, but a bit odd, and the flavor
>> was tuna-like as well. I also noticed a distinct petroleum
>> undertone to the flavor. I only ate one piece and DH only ate a
>> bite.

> The fillets are much better, clean but bland tasting. Needs a lot of
> help. I prefer them either contact grilled with lots of seasoning, or
> lightly coated with spiced corn starch and deep or pan fried.
>
> Tilapia fillet is ok, but I'm not a huge fan of it. I'll get it if
> it's cheaper than whiting. Whiting has NO flavor and needs lots of
> help, but the texture is good. ;-)
>
> Catfish nuggets, as a general rule, are the cheapest fish on the
> market, at least around here so that's what we eat the most of.

Catfish "nuggets" are something I don't see up here in west TN; the fillets
are a different matter. Even though it's farmed all around this area, the
cost of catfish is outrageous. Might as well be buying a couple of ribeyes
for the price of a pound of catfish fillets up here (aka $7.99/lb). It's
ridiculous, which is why I started buying tilapia. Same nice, mild
non-fishy fish but at much less per pound. I can get tilapia from the
freezer section, cryo-vac'd or I can get them at the fish counter. Both
sensibly priced. Both nice and mild. I've never encountered anything like
the OP is suggesting with tilapia.

I also like whiting but it's hard to find. I can find it whole, without the
head and gutted (of course) in a box in the freezer case. But then you have
all those bones to contend with. It tastes great, though.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Wow! I thought I was the only person who thought swordfish tastes like
> steak! It truly does when grilled. It's like steak you can cut with a
> fork! Fantasmagorical

Never tried swordfish either - have seen it at some fishmongers and
debated about it, so maybe I will try it too!

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I find that tilapia doesn't have a fishy taste at all -- if anything, it has
a slightly "nutty" taste (which is why I often marinate in some sort of
citrus sauce, and then top with macadamia nuts). I'm thinking you got some
bad fish.

I generally don't like frozen fish. For instance, I can eat fresh salmon,
but can't handle any frozen salmon at all -- the taste is too strong.

Sheila

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

-L. wrote:
> Ok, let me preface this with the statement that I am not a fan of
> eating fish.... [snip]
>
> Also, what other fish should I try, as someone who generally doesn't
> like fish? I am in the PNW - DH grew up on the East coast/Chesapeak
> Bay eating fish daily. I like shrimp, halibut and "rock" (Atlantic
> species, common name - have no idea what else it is called), as well as
> freshwater rainbow trout, Northern pike and walleye. I do not like
> Orange Roughy, Salmon, lobster, crabs or mollusks (except conch, which
> I won't eat now). DH's favorite fish is rock but we can't get it here.
> Any suggestions? (Other than sticking to poultry!)

Since you like halibut and rock you'll probably like red snapper and
other rockfish that are available in the PNW. Yelloweye, for example,
if that shows up in your markets. Flounder, too, come to think of it,
though that's likely to be frozen from the East Coast. At any rate,
try one of these in this nice recipe for Huachinango Veracruzana that
Jamie R posted a few months ago. (huachinango is something like red
snapper, found around the east coast of Mexico). -aem

http://tinyurl.com/f22dp

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 Jul 2006 02:10:05 -0700, "-L." > wrote:

>So my questions are these: Does tilapia normally taste anything like
>tuna? Could the petroleum taste have come from where the fish was
>farmed (China) or is it more likely an effect of the packaging?

Ick, no! I hate hot tuna and I love tilapia. It usually has a very
mild flavor. Not fishy at all (I hate fishy fish). Not sure what
happened to your batch. I'd try another brand, myself. I know that
tilapia's a good fish.

>Also, what other fish should I try, as someone who generally doesn't
>like fish?

Mahi-mahi, swordfish, and halibut, all of which grill beautifully.
Cod, pollack, haddock, perch, and catfish, all nice, mild fish which
we eat regularly.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Did you cook it whole with the skin on?

No - skin was off but there were sections that had the dark goo/meat
that runs along the skin - that may be why it tasted bad. That's the
same with catfish - you need to get the skin off completely or it
wrecks the flavor. Skinning a catfish is a total PITA!

Thanks to all who replied - some really good suggestions.

(OT sole/flounder - flounder is one of the most amazing and
beautiful fish in the wild. I once followed a peacock flounder for 20
minutes along a reef off the coast of Kauai - little stinker kept
burying himself in the sand and playing hide-and-seek.)

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 17:36:48 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>Never tried swordfish either - have seen it at some fishmongers and
>debated about it, so maybe I will try it too!

It's really dry, quite steak-like, and has good flavor.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Catfish "nuggets" are something I don't see up here in west TN; the fillets
> are a different matter.

It's "trim" meat, mostly the meat from over the body cavity and any
scraps. I have to go thru it when I'm making deep fried nuggets and
sometimes remove fins prior to cooking.

It's "waste" meat but still very good if cooked right, and last time it
was only $1.29 per lb. ;-)

> Even though it's farmed all around this area, the
> cost of catfish is outrageous. Might as well be buying a couple of ribeyes
> for the price of a pound of catfish fillets up here (aka $7.99/lb). It's
> ridiculous, which is why I started buying tilapia.

Oh geeze! And I bitch about paying $2.99 to $3.99 per lb. for it!

> Same nice, mild
> non-fishy fish but at much less per pound. I can get tilapia from the
> freezer section, cryo-vac'd or I can get them at the fish counter. Both
> sensibly priced. Both nice and mild. I've never encountered anything like
> the OP is suggesting with tilapia.

I'm ok with tilapia fillets (but consider them to be a bit boring), it's
_whole_ tilapia with the skin on that I have an issue with.

> I also like whiting but it's hard to find. I can find it whole, without the
> head and gutted (of course) in a box in the freezer case. But then you have
> all those bones to contend with. It tastes great, though.
>
> Jill

Really? I can often get whiting fillets, (I've yet to find a bone in
one) for $1.99 in 2 lb. frozen packages.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 11:07:00 -1200, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>Foil pack tilapia
>
>1 tilapia fillet
>two pats of butter
>two tablespoons of lemon juice
>sprinkle of each salt and pepper (to taste)
>sprinkle of dill weed
>
>wrap in foil, sealing tightly. Bake in 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.

Thank you, Ginny. That sounds delicious!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 Jul 2006 10:15:20 -0700, "-L." > wrote:

>(OT sole/flounder - flounder is one of the most amazing and
>beautiful fish in the wild. I once followed a peacock flounder for 20
>minutes along a reef off the coast of Kauai - little stinker kept
>burying himself in the sand and playing hide-and-seek.)

It must be difficult for you to think about eating them after that
experience. Thanks for sharing it. Gave me a smile.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > Did you cook it whole with the skin on?

> No - skin was off but there were sections that had the dark goo/meat
> that runs along the skin - that may be why it tasted bad. That's the
> same with catfish - you need to get the skin off completely or it
> wrecks the flavor. Skinning a catfish is a total PITA!

Agreed. ;-)

All the tilpia fillet I've eaten that was ok was nice and clean.

--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 17:36:48 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> > wrote:
>
>> Never tried swordfish either - have seen it at some fishmongers and
>> debated about it, so maybe I will try it too!

> It's really dry, quite steak-like, and has good flavor.

Ok. Gotta try it now. Grilled. Next time I see it, I will grab some

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On 8 Jul 2006 10:15:20 -0700, "-L." > wrote:
>
> >(OT sole/flounder - flounder is one of the most amazing and
> >beautiful fish in the wild. I once followed a peacock flounder for 20
> >minutes along a reef off the coast of Kauai - little stinker kept
> >burying himself in the sand and playing hide-and-seek.)

> It must be difficult for you to think about eating them after that
> experience. Thanks for sharing it. Gave me a smile.

Honestly, it's hard for me to eat any fish after snorkeling/diving.
They're just so incredible in their wild habitat. Even the lowly blue
gill is a beautiful creature.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On 8 Jul 2006 10:15:20 -0700, "-L." > wrote:
>>
>> >(OT sole/flounder - flounder is one of the most amazing and
>> >beautiful fish in the wild. I once followed a peacock flounder for 20
>> >minutes along a reef off the coast of Kauai - little stinker kept
>> >burying himself in the sand and playing hide-and-seek.)

>> It must be difficult for you to think about eating them after that
>> experience. Thanks for sharing it. Gave me a smile.
>>

> Honestly, it's hard for me to eat any fish after snorkeling/diving.
> They're just so incredible in their wild habitat. Even the lowly blue
> gill is a beautiful creature.

If you need to eat, you need to eat girl! We shoot pretty birds if they are
going into the pot

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." wrote
> Ok, let me preface this with the statement that I am not a fan of
> eating fish....
>
> Also, what other fish should I try, as someone who generally doesn't
> like fish? I am in the PNW - DH grew up on the East coast/Chesapeak
> Bay eating fish daily. I like shrimp, halibut and "rock" (Atlantic
> species, common name - have no idea what else it is called> . DH's
> favorite fish is rock but we can't get it here.
>
> TIA for any info,
> -L.

I'm here on the Chesapeake Bay. Striped bass is called "rock", or
"rockfish", by locals. Don't ask me why.

I don't care for tilapia either - to me, there are much tastier fish.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 19:56:38 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> > wrote:
>
>>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>> On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 17:36:48 +0200, Chatty Cathy

>>> It's really dry, quite steak-like, and has good flavor.

>>Ok. Gotta try it now. Grilled. Next time I see it, I will grab some

> I had shark once, and liked that, too. It was probably 30 years ago.
> Is shark still sold as food, anyone? It's hard to keep up with what
> species of fish (I'm counting fish as anything that swims around in
> the ocean) are in trouble and which are safe to eat with a clear
> conscience.
>
> Carol

I'd like to scuttle all Japanese and Russian fish-factory ships - they are
ruining the world's fish supply. Massive herring runs in the North
Atlantic - no more. The cod industry is ruined in Canada.
Orange roughy is endangered. To name just a few.

I gnashed my teeth the other day - I read where Japan (Tokyo??) has this
enormous fish market, with "fish of all species, from all over the world".
Grrr.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"limey" > wrote

> I gnashed my teeth the other day - I read where Japan (Tokyo??) has this
> enormous fish market, with "fish of all species, from all over the world".
> Grrr.

When I was a kid, they told us in school that one day we
would all be eating fish all the time as the ocean was an endless
supply of food. Something along those lines. Doesn't seem to
be working out that way so long as the ocean is treated as if it's
a bottomless supply of edible fish to be taken en masse.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Seafood Watch. Was: Nasty Tilapia, a Basa and other questions...

On 8 Jul 2006 12:05:19 -0700, "aem" > wrote:

>Those who are interested in eco-friendly seafood choices might like to
>visit the site of the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Their Seafood Watch arm
>is, best I can tell, pretty responsible for an advocacy group.
>Research-based notions rather than anthropomorphic emotion. They even
>have printable guides to choosing seafood -- one page, foldable for
>your pocket. -aem
>
> http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp

THANK YOU FOR THIS!

The Tilapia in my freezer is from China, but future purchases will be
from the US. This is a great site, and one I'll refer to often.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote on July 8, 2006:

> I bought some frozen tilapia that looked pretty good - product of
> China, imported into CA, individually wrapped and frozen, fileted.

<snip>

> I noticed a smell
> after cooking - somewhat typical "fishy" smell - almost reminiscent of
> canned tuna, but a bit odd, and the flavor was tuna-like as well. I
> also noticed a distinct petroleum undertone to the flavor.

<snip>

Where did you buy it? I occasionally see threads about this on other
boards -
usually Chowhound and they almost always involve frozen tilapia
purchased
at Trader Joe's. The posters almost always write that the cooked fish
had a
petroleum flavor or a vague "chemical" flavor. Responders usually
attribute the
problem to packaging - usually small tears. I don't really know myself,
as I've never
had the problem - BUT - I do now look at the packaging rather
carefully. I like but don't
love tilapia. Merely liking is OK. I first bought it after reading many
indorsements by Jill M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> [snip] It's hard to keep up with what
>> species of fish (I'm counting fish as anything that swims around in
>> the ocean) are in trouble and which are safe to eat with a clear
>> conscience.
>>

> Those who are interested in eco-friendly seafood choices might like to
> visit the site of the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Their Seafood Watch arm
> is, best I can tell, pretty responsible for an advocacy group.
> Research-based notions rather than anthropomorphic emotion. They even
> have printable guides to choosing seafood -- one page, foldable for
> your pocket. -aem
>
> http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp

Many thanks! That's a great site. I've sent for two of the guides.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
:

> "limey" > wrote
>
>> I gnashed my teeth the other day - I read where Japan (Tokyo??) has
>> this enormous fish market, with "fish of all species, from all over
>> the world". Grrr.

> When I was a kid, they told us in school that one day we
> would all be eating fish all the time as the ocean was an endless
> supply of food.

And the universe has an endless supply of aliens!

"That'll learn ya!" --Spanky (??)

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KevinS wrote:
> -L. wrote on July 8, 2006:
>
>> I bought some frozen tilapia that looked pretty good - product of
>> China, imported into CA, individually wrapped and frozen, fileted.

> <snip>
>
>> I noticed a smell
>> after cooking - somewhat typical "fishy" smell - almost reminiscent
>> of canned tuna, but a bit odd, and the flavor was tuna-like as
>> well. I also noticed a distinct petroleum undertone to the flavor.

> <snip>
>
> Where did you buy it? I occasionally see threads about this on other
> boards -
> usually Chowhound and they almost always involve frozen tilapia
> purchased
> at Trader Joe's. The posters almost always write that the cooked fish
> had a
> petroleum flavor or a vague "chemical" flavor. Responders usually
> attribute the
> problem to packaging - usually small tears. I don't really know
> myself, as I've never
> had the problem - BUT - I do now look at the packaging rather
> carefully. I like but don't
> love tilapia. Merely liking is OK. I first bought it after reading
> many indorsements by Jill M.

Oh, so now it's *my* fault! LOL Just kidding. I like a very mild tasting
fish so I can add to it with other ingredients, and (for the time being)
tilapia is cheap and mild and fits the bill. I used to do the same sort of
things with flounder until the price went up to $9.99/lb. Eventually I'll
wind up eating rocks and telling everyone how tasty they are

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote om July 8, 2006:

> Oh, so now it's *my* fault! LOL Just kidding. I like a very mild tasting
> fish so I can add to it with other ingredients, and (for the time being)
> tilapia is cheap and mild and fits the bill. I used to do the same sort of
> things with flounder until the price went up to $9.99/lb. Eventually I'll
> wind up eating rocks and telling everyone how tasty they are
>
> Jill

Everything is your fault. You're the group scapegoat, which is actually
position of pride. <G>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> -L. wrote:
> > Ok, let me preface this with the statement that I am not a fan of
> > eating fish....
> >
> > I bought some frozen tilapia that looked pretty good - product of
> > China, imported into CA, individually wrapped and frozen, fileted.

> Hmmmm, the tilapia I get is from Florida, around the keys. It's

cryovac'd.
> It is not at all fishy, nor does it smell or taste like petroleum, neither
> before nor after cooking it. Methinks you got a bad batch of something.
>
> Jill

I second this. As a seafood clerk (if they gave me the title of seafood
manager, which is what I am, they'd have to pay me more), tilapia is
generally a mild flavored easy to cook fish, whether it is fresh or frozen.
I think you got something that was either contaminated or thawed and
refrozen spoiling it. Don't mark it off your 'to do' list yet. Try
again, this time buy from another distributor and another company of buying
frozen. At my store, we get both frozen prepacked and fresh fillets of
tilapia.

Foil pack tilapia

1 tilapia fillet
two pats of butter
two tablespoons of lemon juice
sprinkle of each salt and pepper (to taste)
sprinkle of dill weed

wrap in foil, sealing tightly. Bake in 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
Enjoy
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

limey wrote:

> I'm here on the Chesapeake Bay. Striped bass is called "rock", or
> "rockfish", by locals. Don't ask me why.

Oh thanks, Dora! That's probably why I like it - I like other species
of bass, too.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> If you need to eat, you need to eat girl! We shoot pretty birds if they are
> going into the pot

That bothers me too, O. I think chickens are probably one of the most
fascinating birds. Little dinosaurs!

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> snip
>>
>> Oh, so now it's *my* fault! LOL Just kidding. I like a very mild
>> tasting fish so I can add to it with other ingredients, and (for the
>> time being) tilapia is cheap and mild and fits the bill. I used to
>> do the same sort of things with flounder until the price went up to
>> $9.99/lb. Eventually I'll wind up eating rocks and telling everyone
>> how tasty they are
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Little Bear already beat you to it. He made Stone Soup with all his
> friends.
> -ginny

Ah, you don't remember my Stone Soup thread from a few years ago, do you? I
started one and asked everyone to chip in a little something...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> If you need to eat, you need to eat girl! We shoot pretty birds if they
>> are
>> going into the pot

> That bothers me too, O. I think chickens are probably one of the most
> fascinating birds. Little dinosaurs!

I have no time for shooting for sport, but for food, yes!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
snip

> Oh, so now it's *my* fault! LOL Just kidding. I like a very mild tasting
> fish so I can add to it with other ingredients, and (for the time being)
> tilapia is cheap and mild and fits the bill. I used to do the same sort

of
> things with flounder until the price went up to $9.99/lb. Eventually I'll
> wind up eating rocks and telling everyone how tasty they are
>
> Jill

Little Bear already beat you to it. He made Stone Soup with all his
friends.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KevinS wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Where did you buy it? I occasionally see threads about this on other
> boards -
> usually Chowhound and they almost always involve frozen tilapia
> purchased
> at Trader Joe's. The posters almost always write that the cooked fish
> had a
> petroleum flavor or a vague "chemical" flavor.

Yep!

>Responders usually
> attribute the
> problem to packaging - usually small tears. I don't really know myself,
> as I've never
> had the problem - BUT - I do now look at the packaging rather
> carefully. I like but don't
> love tilapia. Merely liking is OK. I first bought it after reading many
> indorsements by Jill M.

This came from Winco - Captain's Best brand. Guess ole Cappy was
havin' a bad day...

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > snip
> >>
> >> Oh, so now it's *my* fault! LOL Just kidding. I like a very mild
> >> tasting fish so I can add to it with other ingredients, and (for the
> >> time being) tilapia is cheap and mild and fits the bill. I used to
> >> do the same sort of things with flounder until the price went up to
> >> $9.99/lb. Eventually I'll wind up eating rocks and telling everyone
> >> how tasty they are
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > Little Bear already beat you to it. He made Stone Soup with all his
> > friends.
> > -ginny

> Ah, you don't remember my Stone Soup thread from a few years ago, do you? I
> started one and asked everyone to chip in a little something...
>
> Jill

Might be time to do that again........ :-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I cook Tilapia fairly often. However, if I'm not buying it fresh from
the Raleys/BelAir here in Sacramento, I buy it frozen. The frozen
packets I get are coming out of Ecuador, and seem to be fairly high
quality. I stock up the freezer when it's on sale.

Tilapia is a nice mild fish that doesn't seem to fall apart as easily
as some of the other fishes.

I use it as my easy dinner meal. I have a couple of boxes of
McCormick's Golden Dipt Fish Fry always on the shelf. I put some of it
in a Zip Lock baggie, add a little Cajun seasoning, and toss the fish
around to cover.

I simply fry the fish in vegetable oil.

It's great with lemon slices to squeeze on afterwards. I serve with
salad, baked potatoes, and have a nice and quick meal.

My family loves it!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com