Birds in the grocery store!

Old 02-07-2006, 01:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Birds in the grocery store!

All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
Mostly sparrows.

Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.

They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more sheltered
places in the ceilings.

Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure I
wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the store
management leaves them alone.

They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
problem with automated doors.

Anyone else?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 02-07-2006, 02:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
Mostly sparrows.

Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.

They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more sheltered
places in the ceilings.

Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure I
wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the store
management leaves them alone.

They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
problem with automated doors.

Anyone else?
--

When I was living in Hawaii, the doors were always open in our local Sack N
Save to catch the tradewinds; I guess it made air-conditioning cheaper.

I thought it was nice. Hearing them sing made me happy.

kili

Old 02-07-2006, 03:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
Mostly sparrows.

Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.

They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more sheltered
places in the ceilings.

Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure I
wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the store
management leaves them alone.

They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
problem with automated doors.

Anyone else?

I know they're something of a health hazard because of the droppings,
but I still love them. There used to be birds in the X-tra when I lived
in Miami. Now I go out of my way to shop at a smaller supermarket where
I like the price, selection, and people better (and lack of Big Brother
loyalty cards) and where they don't have birds. Gotta make some sacrifices!

--Lia

Old 02-07-2006, 04:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
Mostly sparrows.

Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.

They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more sheltered
places in the ceilings.

Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure I
wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the store
management leaves them alone.

They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
problem with automated doors.

Anyone else?

I live in NJ. I have never seen that happen, but I have seen birds in
other buildings, including my parents' house. A few years ago, I stopped
by late at night to visit my parents because I was passing by and I saw
their lights on, which is unusual for midnight. I stopped in just to
make sure everything was okay. It was a nice summer evening. My mom was
watching a movie in the living room. Dad was sound asleep upstairs in
their bedroom.

Mom and I sat and we chatted for a few minutes. I glanced up at the
ceiling and I noticed a bat quietly flying in a big circle in the living
room. My mom did not nice anything unusual. So, I got curious about how
long it would take for my mom to notice the bat flying around and I
allowed our conversation to continue.

After about ten minutes, I asked my mom if she noticed anything flying
around by the ceiling. She said she thought it was just a piece of paper
or something flying around. I told her it was a bat. Much to my
surprise, my mom let out a loud shriek. My dad being my dad did not come
down to see what all the yelling was about. He remained sound asleep.

I was fascinated by how a bat could get in my parents' house, so I
continued to watch and see what it would do. My dad finally came down
after my mom demanded that I wake him up. My dad, being a bit groggy and
not thinking to clearly, stood on a foot stall and grabbed the bat wit
his bare hands. The bat proceeded to bite my dad. My dad tossed the bat
out the front door and it flew away.

My dad's bat bite wasn't too bad; it only drew a small amount of blood.
A band aid, wash with soap and water, and some antiseptic ointment fixed
him up ... so we thought. When I reminded my dad that bats can carry
rabies, he did not look too thrilled. The next morning, he called his
doctor (who's a long-time friend of his) and his doctor had him get
rabies shots. Due to my dad's medical plan at the time, he had to pay
the $1,100 for a series of several painful shots. My dad called his
insurance agent (also a long-time friend) to ask if his home owners'
policy would cover the shots. The agent said that my dad's policy "did
not cover stupidity" at least that's what my dad said the agent said.

Lesson learned: Don't handle a stray bat with your bare hands!
Old 02-07-2006, 04:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
Mostly sparrows.

Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.

They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more
sheltered places in the ceilings.

Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure
I wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the
store management leaves them alone.

They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
problem with automated doors.

Anyone else?

I've seen news stories about it. Any place, like Sam's Club, Lowe's or
whatever where they leave the doors open, birds will roost and take shelter
and build nests on the store signs.

I don't begrudge them one bit. We stole their territory by building this
crap where there used to be trees for them to nest in.

Jill

Old 02-07-2006, 04:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Part Duex ( Birds in the grocery store!)

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
Mostly sparrows.

Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.

They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more
sheltered places in the ceilings.

Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure
I wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the
store management leaves them alone.

They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
problem with automated doors.

Anyone else?

When I moved into my apartment 9 years ago, I had two parakeets. I was
sitting in my bedroom reading when suddenly this bird zoomed in and flew
back out. It was like being straifed by a tiny jet fighter. WTF?! I knew
my birds were in their cage. I went to look; sure enough, a sparrow had
somehow gotten in and was perched on the top of an ivy plant up by the
ceiling. It was as confused as I was. I opened the back door and waved and
it flew out

Jill

Old 02-07-2006, 05:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
Mostly sparrows.

They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
problem with automated doors.

Anyone else?

Our grocery stores trap them and release (state law, maybe?) but I have
noticed quite a few in Home Depot and Lowe's. Also the main terminal at
our airport (DIA) has a few which nest in the supports of the tent roofs
and in the big potted trees. Little kids love to see them.

Our friends at the seashore in Massachusetts have a barn swallow that
makes a nest every year on top of the drive box for their electric
garage door opener. They watch for her and leave the side door open for
easy access once she has laid eggs.

When my daughter lived outside San Diego they had various hummingbird
nets in the big Deodar cedar in the front yard. We watched by the hours.

All of those are relatively whimsical compared to the ravens which are
nesting in the tops of a few of our Ponderosa pines. They are big,
ugly, and mean and dive bomb pets as well as us when we are outdoors.

gloria p
Old 02-07-2006, 06:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:34:43 GMT, Puester
wrote:

Our grocery stores trap them and release (state law, maybe?) but I have
noticed quite a few in Home Depot and Lowe's. Also the main terminal at
our airport (DIA) has a few which nest in the supports of the tent roofs
and in the big potted trees. Little kids love to see them.

Fortunately, I haven't seen birds in any grocery stores where I've
shopped. They are charming in the trees around my home and a few are
cute in home centers, but not in grocery stores, thankyewverymuch!

Sue(tm)
Old 02-07-2006, 06:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

The govt requires me to get a room full of stainless steel sinks,
separate entries sealed from outside, an exhast and intake fan. no
pets, no smoking, and many other expensive to code shelves, NSF
approved tables, floors, plus food safety training (again expensive) to
get a licenced kitchen. Now why are they allowing large stores to allow
health hazards after all this trouble? Lobbyists payments? I agree
birds are cute, and as a farmer I value their help and beauty in things
like pollinating and spreading seeds outdoors, so I feed them: but if
this is the case why should anyone bother with any sanitary food prep?
USDA and Dept of Health should be monitoring this, and if they are not,
they are not doing thier jobs that we pay taxes for.
jill stardust

Old 02-07-2006, 07:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"kilikini" wrote:

[...]

:-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 02-07-2006, 07:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Julia Altshuler wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
[...]

I normally shop at the smallest store in town because it's closest to my
house, and it's easier to navigate. :-) They still have birds. Must be a
very small store?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 02-07-2006, 07:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Stan Horwitz wrote:

Lesson learned: Don't handle a stray bat with your bare hands!

Geez. I thought that everybody knew that!
I grab them with a towel...

The rabies shots are no longer painful, but they are still expensive.

I had the pre-exposure series a couple of years in a row as I dabble in
wildlife rehabbing. It was not even as bad as getting tetanus shots. I
hate Tetanus shots! I get an egg-sized lump in my arm and 'flu like
symptoms for close to a week and the shot site hurts. :-P

The employee health nurse at work tho' makes sure I get one every ten
years. They keep track of shot records.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 02-07-2006, 07:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
[...]

One of the clerks at Lowe's tells me that some of the birds have learned
to activate the door sensors. :-) They then come in and hang out on the
bird seed isle.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Chicago Asian grocery store? [email protected] General Cooking 6 25-06-2005 10:19 PM
Grocery shopping Edwin Pawlowski General Cooking 8 12-05-2005 09:33 PM
I hate the Beer Store Sam Beer 0 23-04-2005 10:08 PM
Bachelors need to live in grocery stores Maverick General Cooking 34 06-03-2005 12:23 AM
Can you ask your grocery store to stock stuff? jmcquown General Cooking 33 10-10-2003 02:27 PM