Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sloppy Joes

Okay, here's the deal. I've been invited to a cookout where the main dish
will be sloppy joes. Okay, so far...then the cook asks me what's in gumbo
soup...

I start rattling off okra..yada yada, and why do you need to know this?

"Because the recipe calls for gumbo soup."

"The recipe for WHAT?" I say, in a bit of shock.

"Sloppy joes."

Arrgh...gasp...huh? I'm flummoxed. Gumbo in sloppy joes?

She says, "And I couldn't find Campbell's gumbo soup, so I was wondering
what was in it."

I started rattling off gumbo ingredients again, and she said, "I figure
Campbell's gumbo doesn't have any of that; maybe just tomatoes and rice."

Huh? I'm thinking, Wouldn't that be tomato rice soup? And what is rice doing
in sloppy joes, anyway?

So now I'm wondering if anyone has ever tasted this, um, recipe? I've never
had Campbell's gumbo, never wanted to, but I'm having a hard time
reconciling the ideas of Campbell's and gumbo and sloppy joes all in the
same room, much less the same dish.

But maybe it tastes okay. I just sort of wish I didn't know this in advance.

--
Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:
> Okay, here's the deal. I've been invited to a cookout where the main dish
> will be sloppy joes. Okay, so far...then the cook asks me what's in gumbo
> soup...
>
> I start rattling off okra..yada yada, and why do you need to know this?
>
> "Because the recipe calls for gumbo soup."
>
> "The recipe for WHAT?" I say, in a bit of shock.
>
> "Sloppy joes."
>
> Arrgh...gasp...huh? I'm flummoxed. Gumbo in sloppy joes?
>
> She says, "And I couldn't find Campbell's gumbo soup, so I was wondering
> what was in it."
>
> I started rattling off gumbo ingredients again, and she said, "I figure
> Campbell's gumbo doesn't have any of that; maybe just tomatoes and rice."
>
> Huh? I'm thinking, Wouldn't that be tomato rice soup? And what is rice doing
> in sloppy joes, anyway?
>
> So now I'm wondering if anyone has ever tasted this, um, recipe? I've never
> had Campbell's gumbo, never wanted to, but I'm having a hard time
> reconciling the ideas of Campbell's and gumbo and sloppy joes all in the
> same room, much less the same dish.
>
> But maybe it tastes okay. I just sort of wish I didn't know this in advance.

That sounds kinda scary. Maybe you could just offer her a recipe for
real sloppy joes. Or offer to bring them yourself. Or bring her a few
cans of Manwich. Anything but gumbo!

I did have sloppy joes once that were made with Campbell's chicken and
rice soup. I enjoyed them, but I've never been tempted to try to
reproduce them.

Okra in sloppy joes. I may not sleep tonight.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:
> Okay, here's the deal. I've been invited to a cookout where the main dish
> will be sloppy joes. Okay, so far...then the cook asks me what's in gumbo
> soup...
>
> I start rattling off okra..yada yada, and why do you need to know this?
>
> "Because the recipe calls for gumbo soup."

OK. Not really related, but we're making sloppy joes at cooking camp
tomorrow. (i'm a vegetarian so i won't be tasting them =) but your
thread made me immediately start thinking of our recipe.

our ingredients include: ground beef, onion, bell pepper, tomato paste,
lots of spices, beef broth. no gumbo, no okra, no soup.

the rest of our menu is oven-baked crispy fries with parmesan cheese
and ranch for dipping, and patriotic pound cake, a lemon flavored cake
with whipped cream, fresh strawberry 'stripes' and fresh blueberry
'stars'. cherry limeade to drink.

have i mentioned that i love my job? =) =) =)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 28 Jun 2006 07:04:53p, D.Currie meant to say...

> Okay, here's the deal. I've been invited to a cookout where the main
> dish will be sloppy joes. Okay, so far...then the cook asks me what's in
> gumbo soup...

UGH! Yes, I've heard of it. No, I've neither made nor tasted it, nor
would I be remotely tempted to do either.

There are many variations on Sloppy Joes. The Sloppy Joes my mother made
were based on tomato ketchup, onion, greenpepper, and seasonings. Pretty
simple stuff, and pretty typical. I've modified that over time, but I'd
never be tempted to add soup, let alone gumbo soup.

This is the recipe I usually make...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sloppy Joes

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sandwiches

1 lb Ground meat
2 tb Unsalted butter
1/2 ea Medium onion -- 1/4" dice
1/2 ea Green bell pepper -- 1/4" dice
1/2 ea Red bell pepper -- 1/4" dice
1 ea Stalk celery -- 1/4" dice (optional)
2 ts Chili powder, or to taste
1/2 ts Ground cumin
1/2 ts Ground coriander
1/2 ts Mexican oregano
1/2 c Chili sauce
1/2 c Catsup
1/2 ts Salt
Few grindings black pepper

Brown meat, breaking up large pieces. Drain in colander and reserve.
Melt butter and cook onion, green and red pepper, and celery until all
are transparent. Return meat to pan. Add remaining ingredients and
simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes. May be frozen if desired.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Okra in sloppy joes. I may not sleep tonight.

It does sound like a joke, doesn't it?

sigh.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ms_peacock" > wrote in message

> It's the Sloppy Joe recipe out of the Betty Crocker cookbook. I've been
> making it for years and years. Gumbo soup is generally on the top shelf.
>
> Ms P

I just checked my cookbooks, and oddly enough Betty's not there.

But if you say it's edible, it gives me some hope.

Not particularly of me enjoying it, but survival...

;-)

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Donna wrote:

> I started rattling off gumbo ingredients again, and she said, "I figure
> Campbell's gumbo doesn't have any of that; maybe just tomatoes and rice."
>
> Huh? I'm thinking, Wouldn't that be tomato rice soup? And what is rice
> doing in sloppy joes, anyway?
>
> So now I'm wondering if anyone has ever tasted this, um, recipe? I've
> never had Campbell's gumbo, never wanted to, but I'm having a hard time
> reconciling the ideas of Campbell's and gumbo and sloppy joes all in the
> same room, much less the same dish.

I don't know about the sloppy joe recipe, but I've had Campbell's chicken
gumbo often; it's one of the only Campbell's soups I like (though I
liberally add Tabasco). It does contain okra.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> Oh pshaw, on Wed 28 Jun 2006 07:04:53p, D.Currie meant to say...
>
>> Okay, here's the deal. I've been invited to a cookout where the main
>> dish will be sloppy joes. Okay, so far...then the cook asks me what's in
>> gumbo soup...

> UGH! Yes, I've heard of it. No, I've neither made nor tasted it, nor
> would I be remotely tempted to do either.

I'll be reporting back...

> There are many variations on Sloppy Joes. The Sloppy Joes my mother made
> were based on tomato ketchup, onion, greenpepper, and seasonings. Pretty
> simple stuff, and pretty typical.

Sounds a lot like what I grew up with, too. Basic comfort food.

>I've modified that over time, but I'd

Yup, me too. Depends on what's on hand and what mood I'm in. Tends to be a
little spicier than what mom made.

> never be tempted to add soup, let alone gumbo soup.

The weird thing is that when I first heard her say "Gumbo" I was thinking
that it's a relatively complicated dish. And I'm thinking about okra and
sausage and maybe some shrimp....chicken...file...peppers....
mmmm...yum....

Then to take that complicated dish and use it to make Sloppy Joes? It's just
ground beef. Let's not gild that lily too much, hmmmm?

But Cambell's gumbo is far enough from gumbo to maybe make sense. We'll see.

<snip recipe>

I'll have to try this variation some day.

Thanks,

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 28 Jun 2006 08:09:42p, D.Currie meant to say...

> Then to take that complicated dish and use it to make Sloppy Joes? It's
> just ground beef. Let's not gild that lily too much, hmmmm?
>
> But Cambell's gumbo is far enough from gumbo to maybe make sense. We'll
> see.

Be brave! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ms_peacock" > wrote in message

> "D.Currie" > wrote in message
> > Okay, here's the deal. I've been invited to a cookout where the main

dish
> > will be sloppy joes. Okay, so far...then the cook asks me what's in

gumbo
> > soup...
> >
> > I start rattling off okra..yada yada, and why do you need to know this?
> >
> > "Because the recipe calls for gumbo soup."
> >
> > "The recipe for WHAT?" I say, in a bit of shock.
> >
> > "Sloppy joes."
> >
> > Arrgh...gasp...huh? I'm flummoxed. Gumbo in sloppy joes?
> >> But maybe it tastes okay. I just sort of wish I didn't know this in
> >> advance.

> > Donna

> It's the Sloppy Joe recipe out of the Betty Crocker cookbook. I've been
> making it for years and years. Gumbo soup is generally on the top shelf.
>
> Ms P

I just looked through some of my Betty Crocker Cookbooks (I'm a collector of
Betty). I found three recipes for Sloppy Joe's, but none of them contain
gumbo soup. Which Betty Crocker cookbook are you referring to? Apparently
I need to track down yet another Betty Crocker cookbook <g>

Chris in Pearland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> I don't know about the sloppy joe recipe, but I've had Campbell's chicken
> gumbo often; it's one of the only Campbell's soups I like (though I
> liberally add Tabasco). It does contain okra.

Sicko!

Just my way of saying howdy
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" > wrote in message
> Okay, here's the deal. I've been invited to a cookout where the main dish
> will be sloppy joes. Okay, so far...then the cook asks me what's in gumbo
> soup...
>
> I start rattling off okra..yada yada, and why do you need to know this?
>
> "Because the recipe calls for gumbo soup."
>
> "The recipe for WHAT?" I say, in a bit of shock.
>
> "Sloppy joes."
>
> Arrgh...gasp...huh? I'm flummoxed. Gumbo in sloppy joes?
>> But maybe it tastes okay. I just sort of wish I didn't know this in
>> advance.

> Donna

It's the Sloppy Joe recipe out of the Betty Crocker cookbook. I've been
making it for years and years. Gumbo soup is generally on the top shelf.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I do love okra, but I just can't quite picture it as a component
> of Sloppy Joes.

What about celery in a sloppy Joe?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 28 Jun 2006 09:25:30p, Steve Pope meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I do love okra, but I just can't quite picture it as a component of
>> Sloppy Joes.

> What about celery in a sloppy Joe?
>
> Steve

What about it? Sometimes I put it in, sometimes not. If I use it, iy's cut
small and there isn't much.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chris Marksberry" > wrote in message

> "ms_peacock" > wrote in message
>>
>> It's the Sloppy Joe recipe out of the Betty Crocker cookbook. I've been
>> making it for years and years. Gumbo soup is generally on the top shelf.
>>
>> Ms P
>>

> I just looked through some of my Betty Crocker Cookbooks (I'm a collector
> of
> Betty). I found three recipes for Sloppy Joe's, but none of them contain
> gumbo soup. Which Betty Crocker cookbook are you referring to?
> Apparently
> I need to track down yet another Betty Crocker cookbook <g>
>
> Chris in Pearland

In my BC it's on page 404 in the "Soups, Stews and Sandwiches" section. My
BC is an early 70s edition.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Wed 28 Jun 2006 08:09:42p, D.Currie meant to say...
>
>> Then to take that complicated dish and use it to make Sloppy Joes? It's
>> just ground beef. Let's not gild that lily too much, hmmmm?
>>
>> But Cambell's gumbo is far enough from gumbo to maybe make sense. We'll
>> see.

> Be brave! :-)

I loved the first episode of Julia Child's French Chef series when she
ends with a "Courage!" command (in her delightful french accent)
My mother used to say that at times also and now I know where she got it
from.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" > wrote in
:

> So now I'm wondering if anyone has ever tasted this, um, recipe? I've
> never had Campbell's gumbo, never wanted to, but I'm having a hard
> time reconciling the ideas of Campbell's and gumbo and sloppy joes all
> in the same room, much less the same dish.
>
> But maybe it tastes okay. I just sort of wish I didn't know this in
> advance.

Donna,

"People are strange..." -- Jim Morrison

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I do love okra, but I just can't quite picture it as a component
>> of Sloppy Joes.

> What about celery in a sloppy Joe?
>
> Steve

Shudder.

Of course, I hate Sloppy Joes. [Recollections of sodden untoasted hamburger
buns covered with tasteless red glop.] Maybe I've never had a good one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Jun 2006 06:59:30a, Janet Puistonen meant to say...

> Steve Pope wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I do love okra, but I just can't quite picture it as a component of
>>> Sloppy Joes.

>> What about celery in a sloppy Joe?
>>
>> Steve

> Shudder.
>
> Of course, I hate Sloppy Joes. [Recollections of sodden untoasted
> hamburger buns covered with tasteless red glop.] Maybe I've never had a
> good one.

Maybe it's an acquired taste, but I remember liking them from the first one I
ever had. You could toast the bun, of course, but *most* recommendations are
to use "cheap supermarket buns". Perhaps the Sloppy Joe filling you had was
really not very good.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-06-29, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan > wrote:

> OTOH, I don't know why gumbo soup
> wouldn't work in sloppy joes.

Well, I'm happy to report I do.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> "D.Currie" > wrote in
> :
>
>> So now I'm wondering if anyone has ever tasted this, um, recipe? I've
>> never had Campbell's gumbo, never wanted to, but I'm having a hard
>> time reconciling the ideas of Campbell's and gumbo and sloppy joes all
>> in the same room, much less the same dish.
>>
>> But maybe it tastes okay. I just sort of wish I didn't know this in
>> advance.

> Donna,
>
> "People are strange..." -- Jim Morrison
>
> Andy

And it appears that everyone I know is out to get me with their cooking
experiments. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to
get you...

Maybe people feel like they need to do something "fancy" when I'm around
because they know I like to cook and they want to come up with something
different, but I sure wish some of these folks would stick to basics.

A burger and a beer, and I'd be just fine. Overcook it, even. Kraft cheez.
Cheap ketchup. I could deal with that.

These voodoo recipes that I keep hearing about are just giving me the
willies.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message

> If she's going to make gumbo she should leave it as soup and just grill
> the
> ground beef in patties for hamburgers. OTOH, I don't know why gumbo soup
> wouldn't work in sloppy joes. Kind of strange but doable.

If she was making her own gumbo, I'd be impressed. But she's out looking for
Campbell's gumbo, which to me sounds pretty awful all by itself. I don't
know why, because I've never tried it. Maybe it's okay.

Then again, she couldn't find the gumbo (or at least not yet) so maybe plans
will change. Burgers would certainly be nice.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" > wrote in
:

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
>> "D.Currie" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> So now I'm wondering if anyone has ever tasted this, um, recipe?
>>> I've never had Campbell's gumbo, never wanted to, but I'm having a
>>> hard time reconciling the ideas of Campbell's and gumbo and sloppy
>>> joes all in the same room, much less the same dish.
>>>
>>> But maybe it tastes okay. I just sort of wish I didn't know this in
>>> advance.

>> Donna,
>>
>> "People are strange..." -- Jim Morrison
>>
>> Andy

> And it appears that everyone I know is out to get me with their
> cooking experiments. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're
> not out to get you...
>
> Maybe people feel like they need to do something "fancy" when I'm
> around because they know I like to cook and they want to come up with
> something different, but I sure wish some of these folks would stick
> to basics.
>
> A burger and a beer, and I'd be just fine. Overcook it, even. Kraft
> cheez. Cheap ketchup. I could deal with that.
>
> These voodoo recipes that I keep hearing about are just giving me the
> willies.
>
> Donna

ROFL!!! Thanks,

Andy
"Don't be a chef, be a guest!"
--A
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Jun 2006 06:59:30a, Janet Puistonen meant to say...
>
>> Steve Pope wrote:

>>> What about celery in a sloppy Joe?
>>>
>>> Steve

>> Shudder.
>>
>> Of course, I hate Sloppy Joes. [Recollections of sodden untoasted
>> hamburger buns covered with tasteless red glop.] Maybe I've never had a
>> good one.

> Maybe it's an acquired taste, but I remember liking them from the first
> one I
> ever had. You could toast the bun, of course, but *most* recommendations
> are
> to use "cheap supermarket buns". Perhaps the Sloppy Joe filling you had
> was
> really not very good.

Some of the juice from the filling should soak into the bread. No toast,
please.

This is a good Sloppy Joe recipe:

1Tbsp. Oil
1 Large onion, diced fine
3 Cloves garlic, minced
2 Large pinches salt
5 Grinds of pepper
3lbs. Ground beef
1/4c. Wondra® or all-purpose flour
1 1/2c. Ketchup
1/2c. Sweet pickle relish
2c. V-8® juice

Sweat the onion, garlic, salt, and pepper in the oil until translucent, then
add the ground beef and cook until the beef has lost its pink color, but is
not browned. Add the flour and stir until all the flour is coated and there
are no lumps. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir, and simmer for ten to
fifteen minutes. Serve on hamburger buns. Makes enough for eight sandwiches.

I like to add a finely dice jalapeno pepper with the onion and garlic, but
that's not part of the original recipe.

--Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" > wrote in message

>> Donna,
>>
>> "People are strange..." -- Jim Morrison
>>
>> Andy

> And it appears that everyone I know is out to get me with their cooking
> experiments. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to
> get you...
>
> Maybe people feel like they need to do something "fancy" when I'm around
> because they know I like to cook and they want to come up with something
> different, but I sure wish some of these folks would stick to basics.
>
> A burger and a beer, and I'd be just fine. Overcook it, even. Kraft cheez.
> Cheap ketchup. I could deal with that.
>
> These voodoo recipes that I keep hearing about are just giving me the
> willies.

LOL, but you should see my recipe for the "Ultimate Hamburger"! It's even
scarier than "Gumbo Joes."

;o) Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rich > wrote:

>This is a good Sloppy Joe recipe:

>1Tbsp. Oil
>1 Large onion, diced fine
>3 Cloves garlic, minced
>2 Large pinches salt
>5 Grinds of pepper
>3lbs. Ground beef
>1/4c. Wondra® or all-purpose flour
>1 1/2c. Ketchup
>1/2c. Sweet pickle relish
>2c. V-8® juice

[snip]

So, what fat percentage ground beef would you say should be used in
the above recipe?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Rich > wrote:
>
>>This is a good Sloppy Joe recipe:

>>1Tbsp. Oil
>>1 Large onion, diced fine
>>3 Cloves garlic, minced
>>2 Large pinches salt
>>5 Grinds of pepper
>>3lbs. Ground beef
>>1/4c. Wondra® or all-purpose flour
>>1 1/2c. Ketchup
>>1/2c. Sweet pickle relish
>>2c. V-8® juice

> [snip]
>
> So, what fat percentage ground beef would you say should be used in
> the above recipe?

I just use chuck, which is usually about 80:20.

--Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rich wrote:
> "D.Currie" > wrote in message
> >

> >> Donna,
> >>
> >> "People are strange..." -- Jim Morrison
> >>
> >> Andy

> > And it appears that everyone I know is out to get me with their cooking
> > experiments. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to
> > get you...
> >
> > Maybe people feel like they need to do something "fancy" when I'm around
> > because they know I like to cook and they want to come up with something
> > different, but I sure wish some of these folks would stick to basics.
> >
> > A burger and a beer, and I'd be just fine. Overcook it, even. Kraft cheez.
> > Cheap ketchup. I could deal with that.
> >
> > These voodoo recipes that I keep hearing about are just giving me the
> > willies.

> LOL, but you should see my recipe for the "Ultimate Hamburger"! It's even
> scarier than "Gumbo Joes."
>
> ;o) Rich

Good gumbo is delicious, but I can't imagine that Campbell's version
would be very good. And in a sloppy joe? I LOVE SLOPPY JOES! But I make
them myself, not out of a can. Yuck! But Sloppy Joe's with Campbell's
chicken gumbo? I'd need a lot of encouragement to try it, and would
have to have someone make it up for me. I can't imagine making it
myself just to try it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"salgud" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Rich wrote:

>> > And it appears that everyone I know is out to get me with their cooking
>> > experiments. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out
>> > get you...
>> >
>> > Maybe people feel like they need to do something "fancy" when I'm
>> > around
>> > because they know I like to cook and they want to come up with
>> > something
>> > different, but I sure wish some of these folks would stick to basics.
>> >
>> > A burger and a beer, and I'd be just fine. Overcook it, even. Kraft
>> > cheez.
>> > Cheap ketchup. I could deal with that.
>> >
>> > These voodoo recipes that I keep hearing about are just giving me the
>> > willies.

>> LOL, but you should see my recipe for the "Ultimate Hamburger"! It's even
>> scarier than "Gumbo Joes."
>>
>> ;o) Rich

> Good gumbo is delicious, but I can't imagine that Campbell's version
> would be very good. And in a sloppy joe? I LOVE SLOPPY JOES! But I make
> them myself, not out of a can. Yuck! But Sloppy Joe's with Campbell's
> chicken gumbo? I'd need a lot of encouragement to try it, and would
> have to have someone make it up for me. I can't imagine making it
> myself just to try it!

I agree. I've never seen Campbell's Chicken Gumbo in any of my markets, but
then I haven't bought any Campbell's soups in years. I like to make my own
soup with fresh ingredients. But I wouldn't include any gumbo, even fresh
home made, in any Sloppy Joe recipe. See my recipe above in this thread. No
gumbo, canned or otherwise, and it's quite tasty and traditional.

--Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rich" > wrote in message

>> These voodoo recipes that I keep hearing about are just giving me the
>> willies.

> LOL, but you should see my recipe for the "Ultimate Hamburger"! It's even
> scarier than "Gumbo Joes."

Ooohh...I like that name...Gumbo Joes.

Perhaps part of my distaste for the *ahem* recipe is that "sloppy joes"
conjures up a certain, specific thing in my mind. And when you mess with the
recipe to the point where it's not even close, then don't call it the same
thing. Sloppy Joes do not contain Cajun sausage, file, okra, chicken,
shrimp, or most of the many things you'd find in gumbo.

Call it a Cajun Gumbo Joe and I might be a little less frightened when I
find the okra.

Might as well tell me there's chocolate cake for dessert, and hand me
something that looks like chocolate pudding. I'm going to wonder if your
oven broke and whether this is safe to eat or not. It might be really yummy
pudding, but if I'm thinking it's supposed to be radically different, I'm
going to sample it with a lot more suspicion.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ms_peacock" > wrote in message

> "Sloppy Joes" also conjures up a specific thing in my mind. Just because
> you've never heard of a decades old recipe doesn't mean it's not the same
> thing.

It's not the same thing as what?

It's certainly not the same thing as what's in my mind; I can't say what's
in yours. If you like your version, that's fine; it's just not what I think
of when I think of sloppy joes.

Whether a recipe is decades old has nothing to do with it. Your recipe is
decades old, so it mine. They're different. In my world, Sloppy Joes have
been pretty much the same as prepared by my mother, by the school I went to,
by friends' parents, and now by me. Some subtle changes, but nothing to get
excited about. It's a basic comfort food from when I was a kid, and when I
think of sloppy joes, that's what I think of.

> Neither does Campbell's Chicken gumbo soup. It has little tiny pieces of
> chicken, rice, an occasional small chunk of okra in a faintly tomatoey
> base.

And none of those would be familiar in the sloppy joes that I make. It might
taste fine, it's just not what I think of as sloppy joes.

>> Call it a Cajun Gumbo Joe and I might be a little less frightened when I
>> find the okra.

> You will not find the okra when you make Sloppy Joes with gumbo soup

Very true, because I will not make sloppy joes with gumbo soup. And okra
belongs in gumbo, as far as I'm concerned, which is why I'll make my own
gumbo, rather than buy Campbell's in a can.

> Betty Crocker Sloppy Joes made with gumbo soup *is* sloppy joes. It is
> not radically different.

It's radically different from what I would expect. If it's what you expect,
that's fine, too. I suppose I'll find out if I like it or not if it's served
this weekend.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ms_peacock" > wrote in message

> "Chris Marksberry" > wrote in message
> >
> > "ms_peacock" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> It's the Sloppy Joe recipe out of the Betty Crocker cookbook. I've

been
> >> making it for years and years. Gumbo soup is generally on the top

shelf.

> >> Ms P
> >>

> > I just looked through some of my Betty Crocker Cookbooks (I'm a

collector
> > of
> > Betty). I found three recipes for Sloppy Joe's, but none of them

contain
> > gumbo soup. Which Betty Crocker cookbook are you referring to?
> > Apparently
> > I need to track down yet another Betty Crocker cookbook <g>
> >
> > Chris in Pearland
> >

> In my BC it's on page 404 in the "Soups, Stews and Sandwiches" section.

My
> BC is an early 70s edition.
>
> Ms P

Many thanks. I found it in my 1972 Betty Crocker cookbook just like you
said on page 404! At least I don't have to hunt for yet another BC
cookbook. I think my collection is WAY to big as it is.

A bit of Betty trivia... this edition was first published in 1969 and the
Eleventh printing was in 1972. My oldest Betty is a First Edition (Fifth
Printing) that was published in 1950.

Chris in Pearland, TX

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:

> Ooohh...I like that name...Gumbo Joes.
>
> Perhaps part of my distaste for the ahem recipe is that "sloppy joes"
> conjures up a certain, specific thing in my mind. And when you mess
> with the recipe to the point where it's not even close, then don't
> call it the same thing. Sloppy Joes do not contain Cajun sausage,
> file, okra, chicken, shrimp, or most of the many things you'd find in
> gumbo.
>
> Call it a Cajun Gumbo Joe and I might be a little less frightened
> when I find the okra.

You could call them "Souperburger sandwiches", which is what the
Campbell's recipe does:

<http://www.campbellkitchen.com/recip...urce=search&re
cipeID=24346>

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" > wrote in message

> "Rich" > wrote in message
>>

>>> These voodoo recipes that I keep hearing about are just giving me the
>>> willies.

>> LOL, but you should see my recipe for the "Ultimate Hamburger"! It's even
>> scarier than "Gumbo Joes."

> Ooohh...I like that name...Gumbo Joes.
>
> Perhaps part of my distaste for the *ahem* recipe is that "sloppy joes"
> conjures up a certain, specific thing in my mind. And when you mess with
> the recipe to the point where it's not even close, then don't call it the
> same thing. Sloppy Joes do not contain Cajun sausage, file, okra, chicken,
> shrimp, or most of the many things you'd find in gumbo.

"Sloppy Joes" also conjures up a specific thing in my mind. Just because
you've never heard of a decades old recipe doesn't mean it's not the same
thing.

Neither does Campbell's Chicken gumbo soup. It has little tiny pieces of
chicken, rice, an occasional small chunk of okra in a faintly tomatoey base.

> Call it a Cajun Gumbo Joe and I might be a little less frightened when I
> find the okra.

You will not find the okra when you make Sloppy Joes with gumbo soup.

> Might as well tell me there's chocolate cake for dessert, and hand me
> something that looks like chocolate pudding. I'm going to wonder if your
> oven broke and whether this is safe to eat or not. It might be really
> yummy pudding, but if I'm thinking it's supposed to be radically
> different, I'm going to sample it with a lot more suspicion.
>
> Donna

Betty Crocker Sloppy Joes made with gumbo soup *is* sloppy joes. It is not
radically different.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ms_peacock" > wrote in message

> "Chris Marksberry" > wrote in message
> >
> > "ms_peacock" > wrote in message
> >>

> >> In my BC it's on page 404 in the "Soups, Stews and Sandwiches" section.

> > My
> >> BC is an early 70s edition.
> >>
> >> Ms P
> >>

> > Many thanks. I found it in my 1972 Betty Crocker cookbook just like you
> > said on page 404! At least I don't have to hunt for yet another BC
> > cookbook. I think my collection is WAY to big as it is.
> >
> > A bit of Betty trivia... this edition was first published in 1969 and

the
> > Eleventh printing was in 1972. My oldest Betty is a First Edition

(Fifth
> > Printing) that was published in 1950.
> >
> > Chris in Pearland, TX
> >

> Is that a good thing or a bad thing? LOL I think I only have three BCs.
> One of mine is the first one of the three ring binder style. I try not to
> use that one too much so it stays in nicer condition. My 1972 BC is

pretty
> cruddy in places and has a few pages missing from the index.
>
> Ms P

If it's a good thing or bad thing would depend on who you ask. Husband says
bad!!! I say good!!! My first Betty is in a derelict condition so my
husband insists that the 1950 Betty amd all my other derelict-looking
cookbooks stay out of common areas in our house. The prettier, newer ones
are allowed in a small bookcase in the kitchen. Basically he's pond scum
<g>

Chris in Pearland who yearns for the 1932 JOC which "only" costs about
$4500!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chris Marksberry" > wrote in message

> "ms_peacock" > wrote in message
>>

>> In my BC it's on page 404 in the "Soups, Stews and Sandwiches" section.

> My
>> BC is an early 70s edition.
>>
>> Ms P
>>

> Many thanks. I found it in my 1972 Betty Crocker cookbook just like you
> said on page 404! At least I don't have to hunt for yet another BC
> cookbook. I think my collection is WAY to big as it is.
>
> A bit of Betty trivia... this edition was first published in 1969 and the
> Eleventh printing was in 1972. My oldest Betty is a First Edition (Fifth
> Printing) that was published in 1950.
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? LOL I think I only have three BCs.
One of mine is the first one of the three ring binder style. I try not to
use that one too much so it stays in nicer condition. My 1972 BC is pretty
cruddy in places and has a few pages missing from the index.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Caribbean Sloppy Joses

Here's one of my latest recipes. It's similar to Sloppy Joes, but
different enough that I named it Caribbean Sloppy Joses. I thought it
up after a week in Costa Rica, which affected my ideas about cooking,
and made me love beans and rice.

Caribbean Sloppy Joses May 31, 2006

1lb hamburger meat
1 orange or red bell pepper
1-2 tsp chopped fresh ginger
4-6 chopped scallions
¾ cup of ketchup and or sweet and sour sauce (the tomatoey sweet and
sour, not the syrupy kind)
½ medium chopped white or red onion
3-4 cloves chopped garlic
2 tblspns olive oil
chopped cilantro (how much do you like?)
2 - 4 tblspn picked jalopeno peppers (fresh would be good too!)

Turn on the broiler, get it hot. Remove the seeds and veins from the
pepper, coat with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and place on a baking
pan.

Chop the ginger, onion, garlic and scallions.

Put the pepper under the broiler. Broil until it starts to blister,
then turn over for another minute or two until it is soft. Remove and
let cool.

While the pepper is cooking, heat the oil in a fry pan. Saute the onion
and ginger for a few moments, until the onion starts to be transparent
and the ginger starts to brown. Add the scallions. When the ginger,
onion and scallions are nearly done, add the chopped garlic and sauté
for 30 - 60 sec.

Add the meat in small pieces. Cook until nearly done.

Add ½ to one cup of ketchup and or sweet and sour sauce (the tomatoey
kind).

While you're waiting for the meat and pepper to be ready, chop up the
cilantro.

When the pepper has cooled, chop it into ¼" pieces and add it to the
fry pan with the meat.

Sprinkle the jalpeno peppers over the meat.

Sprinkle the cilantro over the dish and serve with a nice cold beer. I
like to serve it over rice and beans instead of bread to give it more
of a Caribbean flavor. YMMV. Enjoy!

D.Currie wrote:
> "ms_peacock" > wrote in message
>

> > "Sloppy Joes" also conjures up a specific thing in my mind. Just because
> > you've never heard of a decades old recipe doesn't mean it's not the same
> > thing.

> It's not the same thing as what?
>
> It's certainly not the same thing as what's in my mind; I can't say what's
> in yours. If you like your version, that's fine; it's just not what I think
> of when I think of sloppy joes.
>
> Whether a recipe is decades old has nothing to do with it. Your recipe is
> decades old, so it mine. They're different. In my world, Sloppy Joes have
> been pretty much the same as prepared by my mother, by the school I went to,
> by friends' parents, and now by me. Some subtle changes, but nothing to get
> excited about. It's a basic comfort food from when I was a kid, and when I
> think of sloppy joes, that's what I think of.
>

> > Neither does Campbell's Chicken gumbo soup. It has little tiny pieces of
> > chicken, rice, an occasional small chunk of okra in a faintly tomatoey
> > base.

> And none of those would be familiar in the sloppy joes that I make. It might
> taste fine, it's just not what I think of as sloppy joes.
>

> >> Call it a Cajun Gumbo Joe and I might be a little less frightened when I
> >> find the okra.

> > You will not find the okra when you make Sloppy Joes with gumbo soup

> Very true, because I will not make sloppy joes with gumbo soup. And okra
> belongs in gumbo, as far as I'm concerned, which is why I'll make my own
> gumbo, rather than buy Campbell's in a can.
>
> > Betty Crocker Sloppy Joes made with gumbo soup *is* sloppy joes. It is
> > not radically different.

> It's radically different from what I would expect. If it's what you expect,
> that's fine, too. I suppose I'll find out if I like it or not if it's served
> this weekend.
>
> Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default now cookbook collecting

"Chris Marksberry" > wrote in message

> If it's a good thing or bad thing would depend on who you ask. Husband
> says
> bad!!! I say good!!! My first Betty is in a derelict condition so my
> husband insists that the 1950 Betty amd all my other derelict-looking
> cookbooks stay out of common areas in our house. The prettier, newer ones
> are allowed in a small bookcase in the kitchen. Basically he's pond scum
> <g>
>
> Chris in Pearland who yearns for the 1932 JOC which "only" costs about
> $4500!

My husband says very similar things about my cookbook collection. I collect
mostly the pamplet style ones. There isn't room in this apartment for the
bookcase big enough to hold the majority of the collection so most of them
are in the closet under the stairs and the favorites are in a small bookcase
in the dining area.

One of my favorites is called "The Silent Hostess" and came with new monitor
top refrigerators in the early 30s.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:52:31 -0600, ms_peacock wrote:

> "Chris Marksberry" > wrote in message
> >
> > "ms_peacock" > wrote in message
> >>

> >> In my BC it's on page 404 in the "Soups, Stews and Sandwiches" section.

> > My
> >> BC is an early 70s edition.
> >>
> >> Ms P
> >>

> > Many thanks. I found it in my 1972 Betty Crocker cookbook just like you
> > said on page 404! At least I don't have to hunt for yet another BC
> > cookbook. I think my collection is WAY to big as it is.
> >
> > A bit of Betty trivia... this edition was first published in 1969 and the
> > Eleventh printing was in 1972. My oldest Betty is a First Edition (Fifth
> > Printing) that was published in 1950.
> >
> > Chris in Pearland, TX
> >

> Is that a good thing or a bad thing? LOL I think I only have three BCs.
> One of mine is the first one of the three ring binder style. I try not to
> use that one too much so it stays in nicer condition. My 1972 BC is pretty
> cruddy in places and has a few pages missing from the index.

OMG! It IS there! I absolutely love that cookbook, I used to pick it
up first in many cases.... but Betty Crocker's sloppy joe recipe is
mind both numbing and stomach churning.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cuban Sloppy Joses

Piccadillo
Black beans
Yellow rice
Crusty bread...

Dang, I miss Ol' Key West....

~R~

Do You Like Sloppy Joes? Judy Haffner General Cooking 42 10-03-2012 05:35 PM
Sloppy Joes Curtis[_2_] General Cooking 78 17-04-2009 08:16 AM
Sloppy Joes Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-10-2005 03:33 PM
Sloppy Joes Joshuall General Cooking 9 15-09-2004 10:16 PM
Sloppy Joes Darkginger General Cooking 189 07-08-2004 08:53 PM