How to shell (dehull) pumpkin seeds at home?

Old 21-06-2006, 04:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to shell (dehull) pumpkin seeds at home?

I'm interested in growing a few pumpkins this year and to keep the
seeds... I enjoy them raw, but I buy them already dehulled... is there
an easy way to do that at home?

Thanks,
Bristen.

ps: if possible, please reply to my email as well as group...

Old 22-06-2006, 02:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:57:21 GMT, Steve Wertz wrote:

Can you hell them at home? Sure. One by one. It will be 20x
more cost effective to buy raw, hulled pepitas for $2.50/lb and
roast/season them yourself. This is what I do.

ps: if possible, please reply to my email as well as group...

Nope. Doesn't work that way.

Sure it does, if you choose.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Old 22-06-2006, 04:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote on 21 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:07:08 -0500, Kathleen wrote:

wrote:
I'm interested in growing a few pumpkins this year and to keep
the seeds... I enjoy them raw, but I buy them already dehulled...
is there an easy way to do that at home?

I roast and eat the seeds from our Halloween pumpkins shell and
all. The best ones come from the common orange pumpkins. The seeds
from the white pumpkins, and those giant pinkish things (I think
they're some sort of gourd rather than a true pumpkin) are too
tough for this method.

I've roasted the seeds of many pumpkins over the years and they
NEVER turn out right no matter what I do to them. So, I still
prefer buying a package of already roasted and salted pepitas. Less
work, better eating.

If that's what you like, why not?

I like to toss the seeds with some melted butter, garlic, cayenne
pepper, soy sauce, cajun seasoning or whatever else I happen to have
on hand. I leave some of the strings/pulp for flavor, add the
seasonings and then bake at about 300 F, stirring frequently, for as
long as it takes to get the seeds brown and crispy. The time will
obviously vary with the size of the batch and personal preference and
the tasting and testing is part of the fun.

What I liked about roasting pumpkins was the kids...The procedure lasted
about a week...From the driving around several sites thumping pumpkins to
selecting the best one...to the drawing the face, carving and getting out
the seeds...The washing and drying of the seeds then the tossing in
melted butter and the sprinkling on of the salt and seasoning. We used to
slow roast in a 200F oven to get the house full of the smell. The kids
enjoyed doing it all. Definately time well spent. These days I just buy
them. But now my 33 yr old daughter still continues the pumpkin seed
tradition.

All the talking and the bright eyes...all the screw ups...mine too. When
I started to do this I just soaked the seeds over night in salty water
then put them on a cookie sheet dotted with butter and sprinkled with
salt...later on I refined the recipe. But the kids enjoyed even the
fasilures and talked about the roasting days prior and after the
halloween event almost as much as about the candy they got trick or
treating.

--
-Alan
Old 22-06-2006, 07:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

I've roasted the seeds of many pumpkins over the years and they NEVER
turn out right no matter what I do to them. So, I still prefer buying
a package of already roasted and salted pepitas. Less work, better
eating.

What are you doing? I have it down to an art.

-L.

Old 22-06-2006, 07:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
What I liked about roasting pumpkins was the kids...The procedure lasted
about a week...From the driving around several sites thumping pumpkins to
selecting the best one...to the drawing the face, carving and getting out
the seeds...The washing and drying of the seeds then the tossing in
melted butter and the sprinkling on of the salt and seasoning. We used to
slow roast in a 200F oven to get the house full of the smell. The kids
enjoyed doing it all. Definately time well spent. These days I just buy
them. But now my 33 yr old daughter still continues the pumpkin seed
tradition.

We do this. Last year it was 17 pumpkins. We are pretty famous for our
Jack-O-Lanterns. We also have pumpkin seeds to eat all year (We don't
save them all - only the biggest and the best.)

-L.

Old 22-06-2006, 05:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Jun 2006 23:35:57 -0700, -L. wrote:

sf wrote:

I've roasted the seeds of many pumpkins over the years and they NEVER
turn out right no matter what I do to them. So, I still prefer buying
a package of already roasted and salted pepitas. Less work, better
eating.

What are you doing? I have it down to an art.

I've tried pretty much every method from soaking for days to dry
roasting.... it's not something I want to get back into. I did it
every year as my kids grew up, they can do it with their kids now.
Surfice it to say, I never developed a taste for home roasted pumpkin
seeds. I prefer them from a package, precooked, preshelled and
presalted.