Have to refrigerate frosting?

Old 13-06-2006, 03:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Have to refrigerate frosting?

Hi. I have a frosting recipe that calls for butter, sugar and milk.
Just beat it together and that's it. My question is: if there is
uncooked butter and milk in the frosting, then how can you leave it at
room temp for much time at all? Can you? Are these cupcakes going to
have to stay in the fridge at all times? Thanks.

Crispee

Old 13-06-2006, 03:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Crispee" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi. I have a frosting recipe that calls for butter, sugar and milk.
Just beat it together and that's it. My question is: if there is
uncooked butter and milk in the frosting, then how can you leave it at
room temp for much time at all? Can you? Are these cupcakes going to
have to stay in the fridge at all times? Thanks.

Crispee

A typical powdered sugar frosting with butter and milk is fine to leave
unrefrigerated for a couple of days.

My questions is, do you flavor this at all? Vanilla, maybe?

kimberly

Old 13-06-2006, 03:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Crispee wrote:

Hi. I have a frosting recipe that calls for butter, sugar and milk.
Just beat it together and that's it. My question is: if there is
uncooked butter and milk in the frosting, then how can you leave it at
room temp for much time at all? Can you? Are these cupcakes going to
have to stay in the fridge at all times? Thanks.

The sugar acts as a preservative.

Old 13-06-2006, 03:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
Crispee wrote:

Hi. I have a frosting recipe that calls for butter, sugar and milk.
Just beat it together and that's it. My question is: if there is
uncooked butter and milk in the frosting, then how can you leave it at
room temp for much time at all? Can you? Are these cupcakes going to
have to stay in the fridge at all times? Thanks.

The sugar acts as a preservative.

Ahhh. OK. Interesting. Thanks!

Crispee

Old 13-06-2006, 03:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:
"Crispee" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi. I have a frosting recipe that calls for butter, sugar and milk.
Just beat it together and that's it. My question is: if there is
uncooked butter and milk in the frosting, then how can you leave it at
room temp for much time at all? Can you? Are these cupcakes going to
have to stay in the fridge at all times? Thanks.

Crispee

A typical powdered sugar frosting with butter and milk is fine to leave
unrefrigerated for a couple of days.

My questions is, do you flavor this at all? Vanilla, maybe?

kimberly

Yes, the recipe calls for vanilla, too. Thanks for the info.

Crispee

Old 13-06-2006, 08:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Crispee" wrote in news:1150209729.572142.143890
@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

My question is: if there is uncooked butter and milk in the frosting,
then how can you leave it at room temp for much time at all?

THere is virtually no available moisture in the mixture for bacteria to
feed off of, and sugar, like salt, helps preserve things.

Old 15-06-2006, 02:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
"Crispee" wrote:

Hi. I have a frosting recipe that calls for butter, sugar and milk.
Just beat it together and that's it. My question is: if there is
uncooked butter and milk in the frosting, then how can you leave it at
room temp for much time at all? Can you? Are these cupcakes going to
have to stay in the fridge at all times? Thanks.

Crispee

If the cupcakes are any good, they won't be around long enough to
consider storage options. "-) They'll be fine at room temp.
--
-Barb
http://jamlady.eboard.com Updated 6-11-2006; Church Reviews, #19,
Old 09-07-2006, 07:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

As a rule, especially if the weather is hot, yes.Most buttercream should be
refrigerated. But the amount of sugar acts as a spoilage retardant. I would
keep them in a cool place but only for a couple of days.
Missmoon www.yummyfood.net
oups.com...

Old 09-07-2006, 10:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sorry, I somehow missed the beginning of this thread.

Here is a heat and humdity-proof frosting recipe that tastes amazingly
like whipped cream:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creamy White Frosting

Recipe By :Gail Wallen
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : Cakes and Frostings Signature Dishes

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg white -- beaten foamy*
2/3 cup skim milk -- lukewarm
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. With electric mixer, cream together the butter, shortening, and
sugar.
2. Add egg white and beat well.
3. Add milk and vanilla, and beat for 10 minutes.

"This luscious frosting tastes like whipped cream!"
Source:
"RFC 3/10/1999"

NOTES : Stands up well to heat and humidity.

For just us, I use a real egg white. For others, I use powdered egg
white that I buy he
http://www.maidofscandinavia.com/

Frosts: 2 - 9" layers or 1 -13x9" oblong