Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default definitve article on "Afternoon Tea" and "High Tea"---They're not the same thing.

http://coffeetea.about.com/cs/culture/a/aftervshigh.htm

If you forget the difference between the two "tea's", when in England
just asking for just plain "Tea" will do just fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nancree wrote:
> http://coffeetea.about.com/cs/culture/a/aftervshigh.htm
>
> If you forget the difference between the two "tea's", when in England
> just asking for just plain "Tea" will do just fine.

If this is something you're particularly into, I'd really recommend
Eating with the Victorians to you - it's a fascinating book, and
there's a good amount of the social history and influences behind each
meal in there too.

www.gastronomydomine.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "nancree" > said:

> http://coffeetea.about.com/cs/culture/a/aftervshigh.htm
>
> If you forget the difference between the two "tea's", when in England
> just asking for just plain "Tea" will do just fine.

I don't picture getting to Great Britain any time soon
(unfortunately), but here's a great tea service that's
closer -- I hope to visit there again within the next
year:

http://tinyurl.com/338g9

Or:

http://www.fairmont.
com/FA/en/CDA/Home/Hotels/Facilities/CDRestaurantDetail/0,1130,
facility%25255Fcode%253DREST%252B%2526property%252 55Fcd%253DEMP%2526pr
operty%25255Fseq%253D100128%2526facility%25255Fseq %253D1005035,00.html

--
jj - rfc (Jani) in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jj - rfc wrote:
> One time on Usenet, "nancree" > said:
>
> > http://coffeetea.about.com/cs/culture/a/aftervshigh.htm
> >
> > If you forget the difference between the two "tea's", when in England
> > just asking for just plain "Tea" will do just fine.

> I don't picture getting to Great Britain any time soon
> (unfortunately), but here's a great tea service that's
> closer -- I hope to visit there again within the next
> year:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/338g9

Unless you haul yourself to London and to a really fancy hotel, you're
unlikely to get anything *really* good. I live in Cambridge, which is
about as packed with authenticity-seekers as you're likely to get in
the UK - and there's not a good tea to be had anywhere. You can get a
*cream* tea (yet another different thing) in a couple of locations
round here, especially outside the city. Visitors should try Wimpole
Hall (a National Trust property with good cream teas) or Burwash Manor
Barns (a collective of shops in a farmyard with another excellent cream
tea). Both are less than ten miles from Cambridge.

As far as proper afternoon or high teas go, though, I'm afraid that the
best I've had have been at my mother-in-law's house (invitations thin
on the ground, I'm afraid), in some of the more disgustingly expensive
London hotels (try the Landmark, Browns, Claridge's and the Ritz -
Fortnum and Masons is a food hall with questionable service and a
pretty good afternoon tea), and, ludicrously, at the Regent hotel in
Kuala Lumpur.

--
www.gastronomydomine.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Squeezeweasel wrote:
> jj - rfc wrote:
> > One time on Usenet, "nancree" > said:
> >
> > > http://coffeetea.about.com/cs/culture/a/aftervshigh.htm
> > >
> > > If you forget the difference between the two "tea's", when in England
> > > just asking for just plain "Tea" will do just fine.

> > I don't picture getting to Great Britain any time soon
> > (unfortunately), but here's a great tea service that's
> > closer -- I hope to visit there again within the next
> > year:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/338g9
> >

>======================

Yes, the Afternoon Tea at the Empress Hotel, in Victoria, Canada is a
treat you won't forget--the surroundings, the Afternoon Tea itself, and
the old world atmosphere. One of my favorite places in the world.
First see the excellent museum nearby--Alaskan and Canadian objects,
folk history, etc. Then go and relax at the Empress. (It's not cheap,
but it really is worth it !! )

Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ah yes!. . .The Empress Hotel in Victoria. I was there in 1994. What
a beautiful place it is! The high tea there, is legendary.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm going to be making my first trip to England in late July. We will
be lodging in London. I am curious, since I know very little about
English food - What are the best food dishes the English have to offer?

I'm coming with my daughter, and my 16 year old grandson. . .I refuse
to allow him to eat at McDonalds, while there;-)

Can you recommend some places to eat?

Thanks!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Squeezeweasel wrote:
>[snip]
> As far as proper afternoon or high teas go, though, I'm afraid that the
> best I've had have been at my mother-in-law's house (invitations thin
> on the ground, I'm afraid), in some of the more disgustingly expensive
> London hotels (try the Landmark, Browns, Claridge's and the Ritz -
> Fortnum and Masons is a food hall with questionable service and a
> pretty good afternoon tea), and, ludicrously, at the Regent hotel in
> Kuala Lumpur.

I've had afternoon tea only twice. The first was at Browns Hotel in
London and it was so much better than I had anticipated I was stunned.
Much wider variety of offerings than I had heard of, and all very
meticulously prepared and served. The second was at the Peninsula
Hotel in Hong Kong (Kowloon side), and it was a disappointment. Much
less interesting. It's not really our style of thing anyway, so it's
unlikely we'll go for a third round. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Whereabouts in London will you be? A couple of my personal favourite
restaurants are Odette's in Primrose Hill
(http://economist.com/cities/displayo...47&city_id=LDN)
- really high-quality ingredients, great wine list and a charming room;
and St John in Smithfield (http://www.stjohnrestaurant.co.uk/), which
is fabulous - they concentrate on rare breeds and unusual parts of the
animal and my, they're good - check their site for the menu.

It's well worth sampling some curry while you're here. I know it's a
cliche that the curry is now the British national dish, but it's pretty
ubiquitous. The best you'll find in London will be on Brick Lane - it's
a street full of Bangladeshi and Indian restaurants, and has amazing
local colour. See http://www.visitbricklane.com/ - my favourite
restaurant is Preem. You'll also find that Chinese food is very
different from the Chinese food you get in the States (and it's
excellent). Try E-Capital on Gerrard St for amazing Shanghaianese food.

If you're feeling flush, go to the Ritz for the best breakfast you've
ever had. (There is a strict dress code.) Gordon Ramsay's restaurant at
Claridges is perfection but very expensive. At the back of Fortnum and
Mason, a food hall on Piccadilly (http://www.fortnumandmason.com/)
you'll find a cafe. The decor is tired and the service can be pretty
awful, but the food more than makes up for it. Try the afternoon tea
with finger sandwiches and champagne. The archetypal afternoon tea is
to be found at Brown's, though.

Hope this helps!

--
www.gastronomydomine.com