Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pork sirloin?

I've picked up a good batch of pork sirloin on sale. It's not the primo
best but pretty good. But I'm really tired of the way I've been fixing
it and would love a few tasty sugestions. Any ideas?

I've been sauteing it (med hot skillet) in a little butter, both sides,
then turning the heat down and cooking slowly. Still doesn't take very
long, and if you don't overcook it it's fine, but...kinda boring.

Thanks for any ideas!

Jen L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tired of pork sirloin recipes? Try:

Oven-Braised Pork Chops With Red Onions And Pears

2 cups balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
6 garlic cloves, peeled
4 center cut pork chops,; 1 1/4 inch thick
1 large red onion; in 8 wedges
1 salt
1 freshly ground pepper
2 ripe but firm pears,; cut in 8 wedges
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoon honey

The sugar in the honey helps to caramelize the pork, onion and pears as
they oven-braise. It is a technique that works well with other roasted
meats and birds as well. Just mix a little honey with the pan juices and
baste or brush the roast with that during the last 10 minutes or so of
roasting.

For some dishes, you want the onions cut fine, so they almost disappear.
Here, I cut the onions large-and the pears, too-so they keep their shape
and don't fall apart. Even when ripe, Bosc pears stay firmer than most,
making them just right for this dish.

In a small saucepan, bring the balsamic vinegar to a boil over high heat.
Adjust the heat to a gentle boil and boil until the vinegar is syrupy and
reduced to about 1/3 cup. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 425° F. Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet with a
flameproof handle over medium-high heat. Whack the garlic cloves with the
flat side of a knife and scatter them over the oil. Cook, shaking the
skillet, until brown, about 2 minutes. Lay the pork chops in and cook
until the underside is browned, about 6 minutes. Remove and reserve the
garlic cloves if they become more than deep golden brown before the chops
are fully browned. Turn the chops, tuck the onion wedges into the pan and
continue cooking until the second side of the chops is browned, about 6
minutes. Season with salt and pepper. About half way through browning the
second side, tuck the pear wedges in between the chops.

Stir the red wine vinegar and honey together in a small bowl, until the
honey is dissolved. Pour the vinegar/honey mixture into the skillet and
bring to a vigorous boil. Return the garlic cloves to the skillet if you
have removed them. Place the skillet in the oven and roast until the
onions and pears are tender and the juices from the pork are a rich,
syrupy dark brown, about 30 minutes. Once or twice during roasting, turn
the chops and redistribute the onions and pears. Handle the skillet
carefully-it will be extremely hot.

Remove the skillet from the oven. Place a chop in the center of each
warmed serving plate. Check the seasoning of the onion-pear mixture,
adding salt and pepper if necessary. Spoon the pears, onion and pan juices
around the chops. Drizzle the balsamic vinegar reduction around the edge
of the plate.

Contributor: Lydia's Kitchen

Yield: 4 servings

NYC Nutrilink: N0^00000,N0^00000,N0^00000,N0^00000
NYC Nutrilink: N0^00000,N0^00000,N0^00000,N0^00000
NYC Nutrilink: N0^00000,N0^00000

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote on 11 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> sf wrote:
> > On 10 Jun 2006 17:48:52 -0700, wrote:
> >
> >> I've picked up a good batch of pork sirloin on sale. It's not the
> >> primo best but pretty good. But I'm really tired of the way I've
> >> been fixing it and would love a few tasty sugestions. Any ideas?
> >>
> >> I've been sauteing it (med hot skillet) in a little butter, both
> >> sides, then turning the heat down and cooking slowly. Still
> >> doesn't take very long, and if you don't overcook it it's fine,
> >> but...kinda
> >> boring.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any ideas!
> >>

> > Add some seasonings.... garlic, thyme (my son uses Old Bay - but I
> > don't like it with pork). Deglaze the pan with some dry sherry.
> > Make a (flour) gravy from that... finish with a couple dabs of sour
> > cream.

> Exactly that I would have suggested (also sans the Old Bay). A little
> Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb goes a long way. Deglaze the pan with sherry
> or white wine and and then make a gravy (cornstarch works just as well
> as flour). Dang, good stuff! Serve it with some rice or noodles and
> you've got yourself quite the $50 in a resaurant meal
>
> Jill

I use a granulated garlic, onion powder and cumin mix and a pinch of
cayanne pepper when I pan fry pork steaks. I rub the mix and fresh ground
black pepper into the meat about 15 minutes before frying.

I have recently tried breading pork steaks...this to me is the way to go
to replace new-age breaded pork chops as the steaks seem to have a better
fat to lean ratio than these leaner pork chops.

Pork as well as chicken takes well to brining; that is another avenue for
you to exploreto explore.

Pork steaks grill wonderfully and take well to most BBQ sauces.

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I've picked up a good batch of pork sirloin on sale. It's not the primo
> best but pretty good. But I'm really tired of the way I've been fixing
> it and would love a few tasty sugestions. Any ideas?
>
> I've been sauteing it (med hot skillet) in a little butter, both sides,
> then turning the heat down and cooking slowly. Still doesn't take very
> long, and if you don't overcook it it's fine, but...kinda boring.
>
> Thanks for any ideas!
>
> Jen L.

Two things come to mind:
Grilling after a bit of a brine (maybe an hour). Rinse well and pat dry before
grilling, and you can brush with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with smoked paprika.
OR
Sear in a hot skillet til a nice deep golden brown, turn down heat, season with salt
& pepper and add sauerkraut (with liquid). Braise until tender and serve with smashed
yukon golds.

kimberly