Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Turkey burgers fall apart?

I use bread crumbs, eggs and the usual onions for my turkey burgers.
They are usually soft and fall apart easily. Any tips for getting to
remain as one piece?

Thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

synergy3000 wrote:
> I use bread crumbs, eggs and the usual onions for my turkey burgers.
> They are usually soft and fall apart easily. Any tips for getting to
> remain as one piece?
>
> Thanks

Don't add anything to them. I cook them all the time with no additions
and they are ok. You have to brown them well on one side before you
flip them, though.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have the same problem with crumbling turkey burgers. . .The secret is
to gobble them down really fast;-) Excuse the terrible play on words!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-06-11, synergy3000 > wrote:

> They are usually soft and fall apart easily. Any tips for getting to
> remain as one piece?

One word: Sloppy Joes!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message

:: On 2006-06-11, synergy3000 > wrote:
::
::: They are usually soft and fall apart easily. Any tips for getting
::: remain as one piece?
::
:: One word: Sloppy Joes!
::
:: nb

That was two words.
;-)

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-06-11, BOB > wrote:

> That was two words.

Ok, I lied.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"synergy3000" > wrote in message
>I use bread crumbs, eggs and the usual onions for my turkey burgers.
> They are usually soft and fall apart easily. Any tips for getting to
> remain as one piece?

You might try a small amount of mayonnaise. It will also keep them
juicy, but it will probably affect the taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"synergy3000" > wrote in message

> I use bread crumbs, eggs and the usual onions for
> my turkey burgers. They are usually soft and fall
> apart easily. Any tips for getting to remain as one
> piece?

Handle them a bit more before you form patties. In learning to make
frikadeller (traditional Danish dish made with ground pork or a mixture of
ground pork and veal, grated onion, flour, salt & pepper, egg and milk made
into patties, balls or quenelles and then fried in butter), the hardest
thing for me to get right is how much to mix them. I tend to undermix (I
have the same problem with pie crust), which means the mixture doesn't
always hold together as well as it should. Mix it a few more strokes, make
your patties, let them rest for a couple of minutes (so the bread crumbs can
hydrate and do their job of holding things together), and you should be good
to go.

-j

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mordechai Housman wrote on 11 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> "synergy3000" > wrote in message
> >I use bread crumbs, eggs and the usual onions for my turkey burgers.
> > They are usually soft and fall apart easily. Any tips for getting to
> > remain as one piece?

> You might try a small amount of mayonnaise. It will also keep them
> juicy, but it will probably affect the taste.

Sometimes letting the 'burger patties' rest in the fridge for 30 minutes
allows the egg and bread crumbs to bind the 'burger' together better.

Other thoughts...maybe the onion should be diced finer?

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"synergy3000" > wrote in message
> I use bread crumbs, eggs and the usual onions for my turkey burgers.
> They are usually soft and fall apart easily. Any tips for getting to
> remain as one piece?
>
> Thanks

Turkey is often very lean, which is attractive from some points of view but
makes the meat dry and in this case not hold together. How about adding
some (say 25%) fatty pork mince and working the mix fairly hard before you
make the patties.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message

:: On 2006-06-11, BOB > wrote:
::
::: That was two words.
::
:: Ok, I lied.
::
:: nb

Naw, just slightly confused.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
synergy3000 > wrote:

> I use bread crumbs, eggs and the usual onions for my turkey burgers.
> They are usually soft and fall apart easily. Any tips for getting to
> remain as one piece?
>
> Thanks

They are too lean.

I mix turkey with either beef or pork to make burgers, but I usually
just use it in recipes where I _want_ it to break apart.

Turkey tacos are the gods. ;-d
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

synergy3000 wrote:
> I use bread crumbs, eggs and the usual onions for my turkey burgers.
> They are usually soft and fall apart easily. Any tips for getting to
> remain as one piece?
>
> Thanks

Must be too much fat in them. I've never had turkey burgers fall apart on
me before.

Here's a recipe from the 1980's version of Cooking Light Magazine (before
they decided "Light" meant nothing but desserts).

Turkey Burgers for Two

8 oz. lean ground turkey
1 green onion, minced
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. hot sauce (I used Tabasco)
2 tsp. low-salt soy sauce
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
2 toasted whole wheat buns
desired vegeable toppings

In a medium mixing bowl combine ground turkey, onion, soy sauce, ground
ginger, sesame oil and Tabasco. Form mixture into patties about 3/4 inch
thick. Broil 5-6 inches from heat (or from coals). Serve on buttered,
toasted wheat buns with your choice of toppings.

They don't fall apart

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

synergy3000 wrote:
> I use bread crumbs, eggs and the usual onions for my turkey burgers.
> They are usually soft and fall apart easily. Any tips for getting to
> remain as one piece?
>
> Thanks

You don't say how you're cooking them. Since I've had them fall apart
on me when using a grill, I nipped that problem by using a rack...the
type used to grill fish. It holds the burgers in. Don't add too much
solid ingredients to the meat, too. That causes all sorts of burgers
to fall apart. And don't pay attention to the ignorant berk who said
they're falling apart because they have too much FAT in them. We all
know how lean ground turkey is and often NEEDS some sort of moisture or
fat to be ADDED.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

synergy3000 wrote:
> I use bread crumbs, eggs and the usual onions for my turkey burgers.
> They are usually soft and fall apart easily. Any tips for getting to
> remain as one piece?

Probably ground too coarsely... poultry for burgers needs to be ground
twice.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote

> Must be too much fat in them. I've never had turkey burgers fall
> apart on me before.
>
> Here's a recipe from the 1980's version of Cooking Light Magazine
> (before they decided "Light" meant nothing but desserts).
>
> Turkey Burgers for Two
>
> 8 oz. lean ground turkey
> 1 green onion, minced
> 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
> 1 tsp. hot sauce (I used Tabasco)
> 2 tsp. low-salt soy sauce
> 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
> 2 toasted whole wheat buns
> desired vegeable toppings
>
> In a medium mixing bowl combine ground turkey, onion, soy sauce,
> ground ginger, sesame oil and Tabasco. Form mixture into patties
> about 3/4 inch thick. Broil 5-6 inches from heat (or from coals).
> Serve on buttered, toasted wheat buns with your choice of toppings.
>
> They don't fall apart
>
> Jill

Jill,

I'll try that! Have to hunt down "low salt" soy sauce though.

Thanks,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> synergy3000 wrote:
> > I use bread crumbs, eggs and the usual onions for my turkey burgers.
> > They are usually soft and fall apart easily. Any tips for getting to
> > remain as one piece?
> >
> > Thanks

> Must be too much fat in them. I've never had turkey burgers fall apart on
> me before.

More ikely too little

David