Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bone In or Boneless? Best Value

Usually I think boneless and still may. Not sure. I slow cooked a whole
turkey and I did a whole chicken. The 12Lb turkey after cooked, deboned
weighed in at 6Lbs. So you pay for 12Lbs and
get 6Lbs. Same with the chicken. 6Lbs becomes 3Lbs. Both my chicken and
turkey were so tender they fell off the bones. I think some people
won't believe these figures. I actually weighed them. If this is the
case is boneless possibly the better deal? Just want to see if anyone
else has figured this out. Thanks, I'll be looking in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Usually I think boneless and still may. Not sure. I slow cooked a whole
> turkey and I did a whole chicken. The 12Lb turkey after cooked, deboned
> weighed in at 6Lbs. So you pay for 12Lbs and
> get 6Lbs. Same with the chicken. 6Lbs becomes 3Lbs. Both my chicken and
> turkey were so tender they fell off the bones. I think some people
> won't believe these figures. I actually weighed them. If this is the
> case is boneless possibly the better deal? Just want to see if anyone
> else has figured this out. Thanks, I'll be looking in.

All value is not judged by volume! The bones add something in the
cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Usually I think boneless and still may. Not sure. I slow cooked a whole
> turkey and I did a whole chicken. The 12Lb turkey after cooked, deboned
> weighed in at 6Lbs. So you pay for 12Lbs and
> get 6Lbs. Same with the chicken. 6Lbs becomes 3Lbs. Both my chicken and
> turkey were so tender they fell off the bones. I think some people
> won't believe these figures. I actually weighed them. If this is the
> case is boneless possibly the better deal? Just want to see if anyone
> else has figured this out. Thanks, I'll be looking in.

Many folks will say that the meat tastes better if it's cooked with the bone
in.

And it depends on what your plans are for the bones. Usually when there's a
whole chicken or turkey around, I'm planning on soup in the near future. So
I want the bones and bits and leftovers for that.

And...I'll bet that if you started with just the meat and weighed it before
and after, you'd still see some weight loss. If you weighed the bones, it
would have given you a better idea how much was waste because of the bones,
and how much was other shrinkage.

In the end, it's really up to you which you like better, and it depends on
what kind of sales the stores are running to figure out which is most
economical.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Usually I think boneless and still may. Not sure. I slow cooked a whole
> turkey and I did a whole chicken. The 12Lb turkey after cooked, deboned
> weighed in at 6Lbs. So you pay for 12Lbs and
> get 6Lbs. Same with the chicken. 6Lbs becomes 3Lbs. Both my chicken and
> turkey were so tender they fell off the bones. I think some people
> won't believe these figures. I actually weighed them. If this is the
> case is boneless possibly the better deal? Just want to see if anyone
> else has figured this out. Thanks, I'll be looking in.

Depends on the price of the meat. Here in SoCal, chickens are usually on
sale every week somewhere. I save the bones & make stock.

Harriet, MBA 2006 (finally)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote

> Usually I think boneless and still may. Not sure. I slow cooked a whole
> turkey and I did a whole chicken. The 12Lb turkey after cooked, deboned
> weighed in at 6Lbs. So you pay for 12Lbs and
> get 6Lbs. Same with the chicken. 6Lbs becomes 3Lbs. Both my chicken and
> turkey were so tender they fell off the bones. I think some people
> won't believe these figures. I actually weighed them. If this is the
> case is boneless possibly the better deal? Just want to see if anyone
> else has figured this out. Thanks, I'll be looking in.

Ditto what everyone else said, bone in meat is more flavorful.
I don't buy boneless aside from the occasional chicken breast.
Occurred to me, though, when you list the before weight, is that
the weight marked on the package? Because that includes the
package of mystery meat. Doesn't weigh much but it does weigh
something.

At any rate, boneless meat is more expensive, often by a lot,
so you have to take that into consideration. You save by doing
your own butchering.

nancy (buys boneless bacon, too)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote

> As a rule of thumb, the larger the bird, the better buy it is because
> the bone takes up about the same volume, but there is more meat on a
> bigger bird. At least, that's what I've been told.

Same deal with lobster.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Usually I think boneless and still may. Not sure. I slow cooked a whole
> turkey and I did a whole chicken. The 12Lb turkey after cooked, deboned
> weighed in at 6Lbs. So you pay for 12Lbs and
> get 6Lbs. Same with the chicken. 6Lbs becomes 3Lbs. Both my chicken and
> turkey were so tender they fell off the bones. I think some people
> won't believe these figures. I actually weighed them. If this is the
> case is boneless possibly the better deal? Just want to see if anyone
> else has figured this out. Thanks, I'll be looking in.

Yes, but how much does the three pounds of boneless meat weight after
it is cooked ?

Many whole chickens are turkeys are sold with a solution of mostly salt
water added to increase the weight. Recently I have also noticed this
with other meats as well. My last package of boneless chicken breasts
had quite a bit of liquid in the package. So, even before cooking they
had lost a significant bit of weight. After cooking they had lost even
more.

Put in perspective, cheap boneless chicken breasts usually run at least
$2.00/lb (and up), while I can frequently find whole chickens for
$0.69/lb. Not an apples-to-apples comparison, but these are the things
I buy. Also, thighs are cheap, even if boneless.

For me, the best value depends on what I am cooking. For chicken
saltimboca*, I get the boneless breasts. My time is worth something,
and the bones don't get used in that dish. For chicken cacciatore, I
prefer the thighs, or whole chicken. For roasting, I like the whole
chicken. For soup, the whole chicken. For stir fries and curries, the
whole chicken, unless I am in a hurry. For chicken fajitas*, I use the
breasts. For fried chicken, the whole bird.

Aside from chicken, I like my pork chops with the bone. I'd pay more
per pound if I had to.

Dean G.

*Don't even start. I know, and I don't care. You know who you are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dean G. wrote:
> wrote:
> > Usually I think boneless and still may. Not sure. I slow cooked a whole
> > turkey and I did a whole chicken. The 12Lb turkey after cooked, deboned
> > weighed in at 6Lbs. So you pay for 12Lbs and
> > get 6Lbs. Same with the chicken. 6Lbs becomes 3Lbs. Both my chicken and
> > turkey were so tender they fell off the bones. I think some people
> > won't believe these figures. I actually weighed them. If this is the
> > case is boneless possibly the better deal? Just want to see if anyone
> > else has figured this out. Thanks, I'll be looking in.

> Yes, but how much does the three pounds of boneless meat weight after
> it is cooked ?
>
> Many whole chickens are turkeys are sold with a solution of mostly salt
> water added to increase the weight. Recently I have also noticed this
> with other meats as well. My last package of boneless chicken breasts
> had quite a bit of liquid in the package. So, even before cooking they
> had lost a significant bit of weight. After cooking they had lost even
> more.
>
> Put in perspective, cheap boneless chicken breasts usually run at least
> $2.00/lb (and up), while I can frequently find whole chickens for
> $0.69/lb. Not an apples-to-apples comparison, but these are the things
> I buy. Also, thighs are cheap, even if boneless.
>
> For me, the best value depends on what I am cooking. For chicken
> saltimboca*, I get the boneless breasts. My time is worth something,
> and the bones don't get used in that dish. For chicken cacciatore, I
> prefer the thighs, or whole chicken. For roasting, I like the whole
> chicken. For soup, the whole chicken. For stir fries and curries, the
> whole chicken, unless I am in a hurry. For chicken fajitas*, I use the
> breasts. For fried chicken, the whole bird.
>
> Aside from chicken, I like my pork chops with the bone. I'd pay more
> per pound if I had to.
>
> Dean G.
>
> *Don't even start. I know, and I don't care. You know who you are.

Well everyone is saying bone in has more flavor. Thats something to
think about.
Thats important to me. I don't eat the skin either and that has some
weight. My mum
lol complains that when you buy bananas you have to pay for the peal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Usually I think boneless and still may. Not sure. I slow cooked a whole
> turkey and I did a whole chicken. The 12Lb turkey after cooked, deboned
> weighed in at 6Lbs. So you pay for 12Lbs and
> get 6Lbs. Same with the chicken. 6Lbs becomes 3Lbs. Both my chicken and
> turkey were so tender they fell off the bones. I think some people
> won't believe these figures. I actually weighed them. If this is the
> case is boneless possibly the better deal? Just want to see if anyone
> else has figured this out. Thanks, I'll be looking in.

Most of the time when you buy a chicken, its just a chicken. But when you
buy boneless chicken, read the label carefully, because it will, more times
than not, tell you there's "Water Added." Even bone-in "parts," like those
industrial sized bags of frozen thighs down at the warehouse market are
usually "Water Added." Although I like my chicken brined, I don't mind doing
it myself, and I don't care to pay meat prices for the brine. I'd rather pay
meat prices for the bones, wingtips, carcase, and trimmings that I can use
later to make stock. Canned chicken stock is too light on chicken and too
heavy on salt to pay good money for.

--Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jacqui{JB}" > wrote:

> That said, I think the decision to purchase bone-in v. boneless very much
> depends on what you're planning to cook (consider, too, that boned poultry
> tends to be rather expensive). For roasting or slow cooking poultry, I
> pretty much only cook bone-in, because the bone adds flavor and moisture
> (ditto the skin).

Also even if you lose half to the bones, the price of boneless is
much more than double the price of bone in, at least here.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> In article >,
> "jacqui{JB}" > wrote:
>
> > That said, I think the decision to purchase bone-in v. boneless very much
> > depends on what you're planning to cook (consider, too, that boned poultry
> > tends to be rather expensive). For roasting or slow cooking poultry, I
> > pretty much only cook bone-in, because the bone adds flavor and moisture
> > (ditto the skin).

> Also even if you lose half to the bones, the price of boneless is
> much more than double the price of bone in, at least here.

At regular prices. When boneless chicken breasts go on sale in
quantity, I can throw a trayful into individual Tilia bags and have
them at that price for months if not years. So even though there's
bagging costs and effort, it's well made up for by the price savings
and the speed and convenience when it comes time to thaw and prep.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Ranee Mueller wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "jacqui{JB}" > wrote:
> >
> > > That said, I think the decision to purchase bone-in v. boneless very much
> > > depends on what you're planning to cook (consider, too, that boned poultry
> > > tends to be rather expensive). For roasting or slow cooking poultry, I
> > > pretty much only cook bone-in, because the bone adds flavor and moisture
> > > (ditto the skin).

> > Also even if you lose half to the bones, the price of boneless is
> > much more than double the price of bone in, at least here.

> At regular prices. When boneless chicken breasts go on sale in
> quantity, I can throw a trayful into individual Tilia bags and have
> them at that price for months if not years. So even though there's
> bagging costs and effort, it's well made up for by the price savings
> and the speed and convenience when it comes time to thaw and prep.
>
> --Blair

I will have to do a test. I know the test won't work out like this but
if you could cook
6Lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts and end up with close to 6Lbs
after cooking
it might be a better deal even though it costs more per pound than bone
in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> I slow cooked a whole
> turkey and I did a whole chicken. The 12Lb turkey after cooked, deboned
> weighed in at 6Lbs. So you pay for 12Lbs and
> get 6Lbs. Same with the chicken. 6Lbs becomes 3Lbs. Both my chicken and
> turkey were so tender they fell off the bones. I think some people
> won't believe these figures. I actually weighed them. If this is the
> case is boneless possibly the better deal? Just want to see if anyone
> else has figured this out. Thanks, I'll be looking in.

I roast or rotisserie 6-7 pound rosasting chickens all the time,
definitely don't lose half their weight, perhaps barely 1/3.

Slow cooked is tantamount to braised... what weight you lost was mostly
water (meat is better than 70% H2O), and fat (naturally if you discard
the fat instead of using it that's one's choice, years ago folks used
all that meat fat - years ago folks worked a heck of a lot harder - the
farmers around here don't need to watch their diets or go to a gym).
Bones in of themselves, especially poultry bones, contribute little to
weight loss from cooking. Most any braised meat will be reduced to
less than half it's raw weight... not ribs and other bony cuts but all
others. But you can't honestly claim you lost that weight because it's
now in the sauce you created.

When you purchase deboned cuts most of the higher cost is due to labor
(butchering)... takes time to trim and tie a roast. If one is a smart
shopper they will buy bone-in cuts and debone themselves, then the
bones and trimmings can be used to prepare very tasty dishes. This
week the Price Chopper stupidmarket chain here had bone-in center cut
pork loin on sale at 99¢/lb, I bought 15 pounds worth yesterday, spent
20 minutes trimming, deboning some, and repackaging... got a nice huge
roast, a mess of chops (9 biguns), and about five pounds stewing pork,
nice chunks that'll be used for braising and/or marinated for
grilling... bones will be used for ****ghetti sauce. I even took a
picture of this package before opening... will post it in a week or so
when I have enough pics to download.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> wrote:
> > I slow cooked a whole
> > turkey and I did a whole chicken. The 12Lb turkey after cooked, deboned
> > weighed in at 6Lbs. So you pay for 12Lbs and
> > get 6Lbs. Same with the chicken. 6Lbs becomes 3Lbs. Both my chicken and
> > turkey were so tender they fell off the bones. I think some people
> > won't believe these figures. I actually weighed them. If this is the
> > case is boneless possibly the better deal? Just want to see if anyone
> > else has figured this out. Thanks, I'll be looking in.

> I roast or rotisserie 6-7 pound rosasting chickens all the time,
> definitely don't lose half their weight, perhaps barely 1/3.
>
> Slow cooked is tantamount to braised... what weight you lost was mostly
> water (meat is better than 70% H2O), and fat (naturally if you discard
> the fat instead of using it that's one's choice, years ago folks used
> all that meat fat - years ago folks worked a heck of a lot harder - the
> farmers around here don't need to watch their diets or go to a gym).
> Bones in of themselves, especially poultry bones, contribute little to
> weight loss from cooking. Most any braised meat will be reduced to
> less than half it's raw weight... not ribs and other bony cuts but all
> others. But you can't honestly claim you lost that weight because it's
> now in the sauce you created.
>
> When you purchase deboned cuts most of the higher cost is due to labor
> (butchering)... takes time to trim and tie a roast. If one is a smart
> shopper they will buy bone-in cuts and debone themselves, then the
> bones and trimmings can be used to prepare very tasty dishes. This
> week the Price Chopper stupidmarket chain here had bone-in center cut
> pork loin on sale at 99¢/lb, I bought 15 pounds worth yesterday, spent
> 20 minutes trimming, deboning some, and repackaging... got a nice huge
> roast, a mess of chops (9 biguns), and about five pounds stewing pork,
> nice chunks that'll be used for braising and/or marinated for
> grilling... bones will be used for ****ghetti sauce. I even took a
> picture of this package before opening... will post it in a week or so
> when I have enough pics to download.
>
> Sheldon

I just want to make sure you know how I'm thinking. Say you buy a whole
6Lb chicken on sale for .65Lb. If, and I say if you end up with
something like 3Lbs that you can eat
that means that you paid $1.30 a pound not .65 a pound.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> > > I slow cooked a whole
> > > turkey and I did a whole chicken. The 12Lb turkey after cooked, deboned
> > > weighed in at 6Lbs. So you pay for 12Lbs and
> > > get 6Lbs. Same with the chicken. 6Lbs becomes 3Lbs. Both my chicken and
> > > turkey were so tender they fell off the bones. I think some people
> > > won't believe these figures. I actually weighed them. If this is the
> > > case is boneless possibly the better deal? Just want to see if anyone
> > > else has figured this out. Thanks, I'll be looking in.

> > I roast or rotisserie 6-7 pound rosasting chickens all the time,
> > definitely don't lose half their weight, perhaps barely 1/3.
> >
> > Slow cooked is tantamount to braised... what weight you lost was mostly
> > water (meat is better than 70% H2O), and fat (naturally if you discard
> > the fat instead of using it that's one's choice, years ago folks used
> > all that meat fat - years ago folks worked a heck of a lot harder - the
> > farmers around here don't need to watch their diets or go to a gym).
> > Bones in of themselves, especially poultry bones, contribute little to
> > weight loss from cooking. Most any braised meat will be reduced to
> > less than half it's raw weight... not ribs and other bony cuts but all
> > others. But you can't honestly claim you lost that weight because it's
> > now in the sauce you created.
> >
> > When you purchase deboned cuts most of the higher cost is due to labor
> > (butchering)... takes time to trim and tie a roast. If one is a smart
> > shopper they will buy bone-in cuts and debone themselves, then the
> > bones and trimmings can be used to prepare very tasty dishes. This
> > week the Price Chopper stupidmarket chain here had bone-in center cut
> > pork loin on sale at 99¢/lb, I bought 15 pounds worth yesterday, spent
> > 20 minutes trimming, deboning some, and repackaging... got a nice huge
> > roast, a mess of chops (9 biguns), and about five pounds stewing pork,
> > nice chunks that'll be used for braising and/or marinated for
> > grilling... bones will be used for ****ghetti sauce. I even took a
> > picture of this package before opening... will post it in a week or so
> > when I have enough pics to download.
> >
> > Sheldon

> I just want to make sure you know how I'm thinking. Say you buy a whole
> 6Lb chicken on sale for .65Lb. If, and I say if you end up with
> something like 3Lbs that you can eat
> that means that you paid $1.30 a pound not .65 a pound.

No, it actually costs a lot more, you didn't figure in your seasonings,
cooking fuel, clean up supplies, and your time... and yes, even your
silly ass is worth at least minimum wage.

If that's your logic then you really should be buying your chicken at
the deli counter, sliced chicken loaf.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> > > I roast or rotisserie 6-7 pound rosasting chickens all the time,
> > > definitely don't lose half their weight, perhaps barely 1/3.
> > >
> > > Slow cooked is tantamount to braised... what weight you lost was mostly
> > > water (meat is better than 70% H2O), and fat (naturally if you discard
> > > the fat instead of using it that's one's choice, years ago folks used
> > > all that meat fat - years ago folks worked a heck of a lot harder - the
> > > farmers around here don't need to watch their diets or go to a gym).
> > > Bones in of themselves, especially poultry bones, contribute little to
> > > weight loss from cooking. Most any braised meat will be reduced to
> > > less than half it's raw weight... not ribs and other bony cuts but all
> > > others. But you can't honestly claim you lost that weight because it's
> > > now in the sauce you created.
> > >
> > > When you purchase deboned cuts most of the higher cost is due to labor
> > > (butchering)... takes time to trim and tie a roast. If one is a smart
> > > shopper they will buy bone-in cuts and debone themselves, then the
> > > bones and trimmings can be used to prepare very tasty dishes. This
> > > week the Price Chopper stupidmarket chain here had bone-in center cut
> > > pork loin on sale at 99¢/lb, I bought 15 pounds worth yesterday, spent
> > > 20 minutes trimming, deboning some, and repackaging... got a nice huge
> > > roast, a mess of chops (9 biguns), and about five pounds stewing pork,
> > > nice chunks that'll be used for braising and/or marinated for
> > > grilling... bones will be used for ****ghetti sauce. I even took a
> > > picture of this package before opening... will post it in a week or so
> > > when I have enough pics to download.
> > >
> > > Sheldon

> > I just want to make sure you know how I'm thinking. Say you buy a whole
> > 6Lb chicken on sale for .65Lb. If, and I say if you end up with
> > something like 3Lbs that you can eat
> > that means that you paid $1.30 a pound not .65 a pound.

> No, it actually costs a lot more, you didn't figure in your seasonings,
> cooking fuel, clean up supplies, and your time... and yes, even your
> silly ass is worth at least minimum wage.
>
> If that's your logic then you really should be buying your chicken at
> the deli counter, sliced chicken loaf.
>
> Sheldon

I don't like deli meats.
I'm not trying to make anyone mad. I didn't think that would.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Usually I think boneless and still may. Not sure. I slow cooked a whole
> turkey and I did a whole chicken. The 12Lb turkey after cooked, deboned
> weighed in at 6Lbs. So you pay for 12Lbs and
> get 6Lbs. Same with the chicken. 6Lbs becomes 3Lbs. Both my chicken and
> turkey were so tender they fell off the bones. I think some people
> won't believe these figures. I actually weighed them. If this is the
> case is boneless possibly the better deal? Just want to see if anyone
> else has figured this out. Thanks, I'll be looking in.

The difference will bear out in the price per pound. For example, sometimes I can get
boneless skinless chicken breasts at $5.49/lb or I can get a whole chicken at $1.29
per pound. But for me personally, value is more than just cost. I buy bone-in meats
more often than not, because the flavor is so much better in most cases. This is
especially true with beef and pork, but also holds up with chicken and turkey, IMO.

kimberly