Good "premade" recipes for a camping trip?

Old 02-06-2006, 06:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Good "premade" recipes for a camping trip?

Hi folks -

I am looking at preparing most of my food for a camping trip ahead of
time, to reduce snacking on junk (which happens all too often on
trips).

I am looking for things that I don't have to keep cool, and maybe some
things that require being kept cool ( although it's hard since I will
be driving 1400 miles,and then fifty miles into a remote national
forest area in Montana). If any of you experts had any recipes, (stuff
that I could just put in plastic baggies label, and then add some kind
of liquid) that would be great.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Jun 2006 22:56:00 -0700, "Jim"
wrote:

Hi folks -

I am looking at preparing most of my food for a camping trip ahead of
time, to reduce snacking on junk (which happens all too often on
trips).

I am looking for things that I don't have to keep cool, and maybe some
things that require being kept cool ( although it's hard since I will
be driving 1400 miles,and then fifty miles into a remote national
forest area in Montana). If any of you experts had any recipes, (stuff
that I could just put in plastic baggies label, and then add some kind
of liquid) that would be great.

If you are going to go to all that effort, just buy MREs. Just add
water, no muss no fuss.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

You don't say whether you will have a stove or some other heat source
available, nor whether you are backpacking or car camping, but here goes.

For "things that require being kept cool", consider freezing everything in
plastic bags, to as cold a temperature as you can. You can make chili, beef
stew, barbeque chicken, vegetables, etc., fully cooked, and then freeze them
in heavy ziplock bags. In the cooler, these will take the place of ice, and
you can thaw them as needed, or eat them as they thaw. Freeze them in
meal-sized portions, so you never need to thaw more than you need. Of
course, you will want to leave room for some ice, to keep things cool as the
food thaws. If space is a problem, consider freezing some of your water
supply to keep in the cooler. Be careful using empty milk jugs, as if they
aren't very well cleaned, you can get food poisoning.

For things that don't need to be kept cool, again, a lot depends on room and
how much weight you can tolerate. If you like milk, you can use powdered,
which keeps almost forever. Get the kind that comes in individual pouches.
There is also "ultra-pasteurized" milk, which comes in boxes and can be kept
at room temperature. It is expensive, though, and takes up as much room as
water. Dried cereal, such as Captain Crunch, as well as granola and the
like, is durable, and goes well with the milk.

Peanut butter, jelly, and bread are great for these trips, if you like such.
The peanut butter and jelly will keep forever, while a loaf of bread usually
lasts for a week or so, if it doesn't get too warm. Along these lines, there
are lots of canned goods, such as canned pasta, meat, and other things.
Remember to bring a can opener; I recommend the "Swing-away" brand. If you
have a cookstove, you can get dried pasta, and there a zillions of recipes
out there for combining canned goods, such as tuna and cream of mushroom
soup, with cooked pasta. Dried pasta lasts forever.

There is "shelf-stable" food out there now, such as pasta and other meals,
that do not need refrigeration. It is very expensive, but practically
preparation-free, and pretty tasty.

Think about salt and pepper, and whatever other spices you like. Hot sauce
usually does not need refrigeration. If you are bringing a stove, consider
bringing at least some food that will be edible without heating; I
personally like canned ravioli, chow mein, sardines, and such for this
purpose. Stoves break down in the outdoors a lot.

oups.com...

Old 02-06-2006, 12:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi Jim,

I have a great recipe for fruit and nut granola posted on my website
http://www.yummyfood.net/recipes-id 511.html
My Niece hikes a lot and always takes a bag with her. I have lots more
camping food recipes but they are on my computer at home waiting to be
posted. I'm in Italy right now with my boyfriend.Hope this helps. When
I camped a lot I made most of my food using a dehyderator to eliminate
or cut down on cold storage.

Kate

Old 02-06-2006, 12:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

opppps
the url is
http://www.yummyfood.net/recipes-id511.html
Sorry
Kate

Old 02-06-2006, 06:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Also, make some portions of dry bean soup mix up, with bullion powder,
dried lentils, dried veggies, and spices.

Take a thermos, and when you get up in the morning, dump a packet in
your thermos, and add hot water.

By lunch, you've got your soup.

Do the same after lunch, and you can have supper.

Works great.

http://cooking.mikeski.net

Old 03-06-2006, 12:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks -

I am looking at preparing most of my food for a camping trip ahead of
time, to reduce snacking on junk (which happens all too often on
trips).

I am looking for things that I don't have to keep cool, and maybe some
things that require being kept cool ( although it's hard since I will
be driving 1400 miles,and then fifty miles into a remote national
forest area in Montana). If any of you experts had any recipes, (stuff
that I could just put in plastic baggies label, and then add some kind
of liquid) that would be great.

Zip Lock Spanish Rice w/beef
feeds a mob of kids on a canoe trip

2 packages of mild beef jerky chopped into fine pieces
add 3 tbs beef boullion
3 tbs of dried chopped onion
2 packages of dried tomatoes chopped into coarse pieces
place in ziplock bag with jerky and boullion

In another Zip lock bag
2 cups of rice
several tbs chili powder ( or to taste)
several tbs cumin
1 tsp thyme

Preparation
In a large campfire skillet, in several cups of water, simmer
the contents of the jerkey bag until the jerky gets a little tender
and tomatoes are tender . This will take at least a half hour.
Hunger can shorten the cooking time.
A pizza pan can act as a multi-functional cover for
the skillet.

Add enough water to make 4 cups of liquid in the skillet
and add the contents of the rice bag. Cover and dimmer
until the liquid is absorbed in the rice. Fluff up the mixture
and places slices of Velveeta (doesn't require refridgeration)
on top to cover the rice. Replace cover for a couple of minutes
untill cheese is melted. Serve

Jim

Old 03-06-2006, 02:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim" wrote in
oups.com:

Hi folks -

I am looking at preparing most of my food for a camping trip ahead of
time, to reduce snacking on junk (which happens all too often on
trips).

I am looking for things that I don't have to keep cool, and maybe some
things that require being kept cool ( although it's hard since I will
be driving 1400 miles,and then fifty miles into a remote national
forest area in Montana). If any of you experts had any recipes, (stuff
that I could just put in plastic baggies label, and then add some kind
of liquid) that would be great.

As for keeping things cool, stop at an ice plant, most cities have them
(look in the Yellow Pages) and get some dry ice, then put some regular
ice on top, if cooler is in shade or out of 100 degree So Cal heat you
can get 5 days of good cold, just keep the cooler closed and shaded.

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

Old 04-06-2006, 03:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks everyone for your fantastic suggestions! I greatly appreciate
the help.

I am still reading some of the replies and plan to ask more questions.
Thanks.

Old 05-06-2006, 03:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim" wrote in
oups.com:

Hi folks -

I am looking at preparing most of my food for a camping trip ahead of
time, to reduce snacking on junk (which happens all too often on
trips).

I am looking for things that I don't have to keep cool, and maybe some
things that require being kept cool ( although it's hard since I will
be driving 1400 miles,and then fifty miles into a remote national
forest area in Montana). If any of you experts had any recipes, (stuff
that I could just put in plastic baggies label, and then add some kind
of liquid) that would be great.

We sometimes make in advance things like pasties, quiches and sausage
rolls, that can be eaten cold. And we pack sandwich ingredients (bread,
spread, cheese, ham, tomatoes etc) for quick-assembly meals.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

If you use...gulp, instant rice , this recipe can be ready in half the
time and not use up all your camp stove fuel.I used to make something
similiar for back packing, but also added dehyderated pepper flakes and
home dehyderated cooked ground beef. It was a real winner after a long
day on the trail. I'm still looking for my old camping recipes. Will
post when I find them.
Kate
www.yummyfood.net

Old 10-06-2006, 06:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim wrote:
Hi folks -

I am looking at preparing most of my food for a camping trip ahead of
time, to reduce snacking on junk (which happens all too often on
trips).

I am looking for things that I don't have to keep cool, and maybe some
things that require being kept cool ( although it's hard since I will
be driving 1400 miles,and then fifty miles into a remote national
forest area in Montana). If any of you experts had any recipes, (stuff
that I could just put in plastic baggies label, and then add some kind
of liquid) that would be great.

Bingo, found one of them!
1 cup couscous
1 small package dried mushrooms, any type you like
2 tsps chicken bouillion granules
2Tbsps minced dried onions
1Tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 small can chicken meat

Make a packet of the spices and mushrooms.Have couscous in a seperate
baggie.
Bring 2 cups water to a boil.Add mushroom/spice packet and let sit off
the heat a few minutes to soften mushrooms. Adjust salt as needed.
Bring back to a boil and add canned chicken and couscous, stir briefly
to combine.Remove from heat and cover until all water is absorbed.If
too dry add a little more hot water and let sit a couple of minutes.
Makes 2 hearty servings.

Kate www.yummyfood.net

Old 15-06-2006, 02:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thanks for the Tips (was: Good "premade" recipes for a camping trip?)

Next August my wife, father-in-law and myself will be taking a loooooong
(3200 plus miles) trip in our RV from Austin, Tx to Palo Duro park in
Amarillo Tx, then the Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce National parks with a
stop over at Colorado Springs to visit some friends, then on to Carlsbad
Caverns, NM and finally head back to Austin.

The tips and advice y'all have posted have really solved some of the
mysteries of advance food preparation and storage (always limited in an
RV).

Again, thanks.

Ray
Austin, TX