Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do I keep rubs fresh.

I am a BBQ fanatic. Part of my passion is trying and creating new rubs
and spice mixes.This last Christmas I gave friends and family bottles
of some of my favories. The problem is, some of the ingredients, like
onion and garlic powder, paprika etc tend to clump. Is there a natural
ingredient that I can add to keep my rubs from clumping?

Thanks

Will
Posted to rec.food.cooking

willy lowman wrote:

> I am a BBQ fanatic. Part of my passion is trying and creating new rubs
> and spice mixes.This last Christmas I gave friends and family bottles
> of some of my favories. The problem is, some of the ingredients, like
> onion and garlic powder, paprika etc tend to clump. Is there a natural
> ingredient that I can add to keep my rubs from clumping?

Don't bother. Just run it through a sieve.

Plus, never make more than you'll use within a month or two.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"willy lowman" > wrote in message
>I am a BBQ fanatic. Part of my passion is trying and creating new rubs
> and spice mixes.This last Christmas I gave friends and family bottles
> of some of my favories. The problem is, some of the ingredients, like
> onion and garlic powder, paprika etc tend to clump. Is there a natural
> ingredient that I can add to keep my rubs from clumping?
>
> Thanks
>
> Will

Restaurants sometimes put a few grains of rice in their salt shakers to
absorb moisture. You might try that. But, to remove the rice, you'll need to
dump some rub into your hand or the lid of the jar. If you're going to do
that, forget the rice and just de-clump the powder with your fingers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My BBQ book of rubs and spices says to freeze it. I haven't tried this
yet.

Cheers

--
Bronwyn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

willy lowman wrote:
> I am a BBQ fanatic. Part of my passion is trying and creating new rubs
> and spice mixes.This last Christmas I gave friends and family bottles
> of some of my favories. The problem is, some of the ingredients, like
> onion and garlic powder, paprika etc tend to clump. Is there a natural
> ingredient that I can add to keep my rubs from clumping?
>
> Thanks
>
> Will

If you live in a particularly humid climate, add a few grains of raw rice to
the jars/bags. Rice will absorb the moisture. Also I suggest you store
them in the freezer.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> willy lowman wrote:
>> I am a BBQ fanatic. Part of my passion is trying and creating new rubs
>> and spice mixes.This last Christmas I gave friends and family bottles
>> of some of my favories. The problem is, some of the ingredients, like
>> onion and garlic powder, paprika etc tend to clump. Is there a natural
>> ingredient that I can add to keep my rubs from clumping?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Will

> If you live in a particularly humid climate, add a few grains of raw rice
> the jars/bags. Rice will absorb the moisture. Also I suggest you store
> them in the freezer.
>
> Jill

And then, when you take them out of the freezer and open them, moisture will
condense on the contents and defeat the purpose of the rice. These are dry
powders. Store them in the spice cabinet, where it should, in theory, be
dark and not at an excessive temperature.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

> "jmcquown" > wrote

>> If you live in a particularly humid climate, add a few grains of raw rice
>> the jars/bags. Rice will absorb the moisture. Also I suggest you store
>> them in the freezer.
>>

> And then, when you take them out of the freezer and open them, moisture
> will condense on the contents and defeat the purpose of the rice. These
> are dry powders. Store them in the spice cabinet, where it should, in
> theory, be dark and not at an excessive temperature.

I keep some powdered spices in the freezer. I take out what I need and
put it back. No moisture problem. Are you saying it would happen if
you took it out and kept it out?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

willy lowman wrote:
> I am a BBQ fanatic. Part of my passion is trying and creating new rubs
> and spice mixes.This last Christmas I gave friends and family bottles
> of some of my favories. The problem is, some of the ingredients, like
> onion and garlic powder, paprika etc tend to clump. Is there a natural
> ingredient that I can add to keep my rubs from clumping?

Don't know about an ingredient, but Penzey's recommends the fridge for
its clumpable mixtures.Not the freezer, just the fridge. You ought to
try it with yours. Also add a use by date, and they'll be ready for
another gift next year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote

>>> If you live in a particularly humid climate, add a few grains of raw
>>> rice to
>>> the jars/bags. Rice will absorb the moisture. Also I suggest you store
>>> them in the freezer.
>>>

>> And then, when you take them out of the freezer and open them, moisture
>> will condense on the contents and defeat the purpose of the rice. These
>> are dry powders. Store them in the spice cabinet, where it should, in
>> theory, be dark and not at an excessive temperature.

> I keep some powdered spices in the freezer. I take out what I need and
> put it back. No moisture problem. Are you saying it would happen if
> you took it out and kept it out?
>
> nancy

Nancy, take anything out of the freezer and put it on the counter for a
moment. What do you see happening? Go outside in cold weather for a few
minutes, and when you come back into the house, what happens to your
glasses?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I keep some powdered spices in the freezer. I take out what I need and
>> put it back. No moisture problem. Are you saying it would happen if
>> you took it out and kept it out?

> Nancy, take anything out of the freezer and put it on the counter for a
> moment. What do you see happening? Go outside in cold weather for a few
> minutes, and when you come back into the house, what happens to your
> glasses?

Hmmph. I don't wear glasses! Honestly. (snork) I take out
two tablespoons of paprika, add it to whatever and put the rest
back in the freezer. No clumping. Just using paprika as an example.
With the rub, I'd take out enough to do my steak/whatever, put it
back and use the stuff I took out.

Just sayin I don't have the problem you mention.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> I keep some powdered spices in the freezer. I take out what I need and
>>> put it back. No moisture problem. Are you saying it would happen if
>>> you took it out and kept it out?

>> Nancy, take anything out of the freezer and put it on the counter for a
>> moment. What do you see happening? Go outside in cold weather for a few
>> minutes, and when you come back into the house, what happens to your
>> glasses?

> Hmmph. I don't wear glasses! Honestly. (snork) I take out
> two tablespoons of paprika, add it to whatever and put the rest
> back in the freezer. No clumping. Just using paprika as an example.
> With the rub, I'd take out enough to do my steak/whatever, put it
> back and use the stuff I took out.
>
> Just sayin I don't have the problem you mention.
>
> nancy

Unless the humidity in your house is ZERO, or it's as cold in the kitchen as
it is in the freezer, the phenomenon is happening, Nancy. How MUCH it's
happening is another story, but it is happening. It impossible for it not
to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> two tablespoons of paprika, add it to whatever and put the rest
>> back in the freezer. No clumping. Just using paprika as an example.
>> With the rub, I'd take out enough to do my steak/whatever, put it
>> back and use the stuff I took out.
>>
>> Just sayin I don't have the problem you mention.

> Unless the humidity in your house is ZERO, or it's as cold in the kitchen
> as it is in the freezer, the phenomenon is happening, Nancy. How MUCH it's
> happening is another story, but it is happening. It impossible for it not
> to.

I don't notice it because it's in the soup or on the steak. I don't
leave it sit there to clump. Having said that, my spices in my
cabinet aren't clumpy, either, except for the onion powder, and
that's my fault for sprinkling over the pot.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> two tablespoons of paprika, add it to whatever and put the rest
>>> back in the freezer. No clumping. Just using paprika as an example.
>>> With the rub, I'd take out enough to do my steak/whatever, put it
>>> back and use the stuff I took out.
>>>
>>> Just sayin I don't have the problem you mention.

>> Unless the humidity in your house is ZERO, or it's as cold in the kitchen
>> as it is in the freezer, the phenomenon is happening, Nancy. How MUCH
>> it's happening is another story, but it is happening. It impossible for
>> it not to.

> I don't notice it because it's in the soup or on the steak. I don't
> leave it sit there to clump. Having said that, my spices in my
> cabinet aren't clumpy, either, except for the onion powder, and
> that's my fault for sprinkling over the pot.
>
> nancy

I agree. Perhaps the OP's spice cabinet is right over the stove or sink,
where there's steam.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 28 May 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I don't notice it because it's in the soup or on the steak. I don't
> leave it sit there to clump. Having said that, my spices in my
> cabinet aren't clumpy, either, except for the onion powder, and
> that's my fault for sprinkling over the pot.
>
> nancy

Possibly Nancy open the freezer, gets her spices and closes the
freezer...therefore the transfer takes place at the same temp/humidity and
any moisture problems would occur only to the tbsp or so product she's
removed. And since it was a small quantity the problem would be minor.
Or she works fast...she doesn't dally... and vaccum seals her spices
afterwards every time...same results; little to no moisture troubles.

Nancy seems to be of the type who wouldn't dally and I know she owns a
vaccum sealer (from other postings). Except for her sprinkling onion powder
over a poor defensless pot, she has always seemed to me a intelligent
person.

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote on 28 May 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> I don't notice it because it's in the soup or on the steak. I don't
>> leave it sit there to clump. Having said that, my spices in my
>> cabinet aren't clumpy, either, except for the onion powder, and
>> that's my fault for sprinkling over the pot.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> Possibly Nancy open the freezer, gets her spices and closes the
> freezer...therefore the transfer takes place at the same temp/humidity and
> any moisture problems would occur only to the tbsp or so product she's
> removed. And since it was a small quantity the problem would be minor.
> Or she works fast...she doesn't dally... and vaccum seals her spices
> afterwards every time...same results; little to no moisture troubles.
>
> Nancy seems to be of the type who wouldn't dally and I know she owns a
> vaccum sealer (from other postings). Except for her sprinkling onion
> powder
> over a poor defensless pot, she has always seemed to me a intelligent
> person.
>
> --
> -Alan

Rumor has it she vacuum seals her panties, but you didn't hear that from me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

if mine clump up all i do is "unclump" them by mortar and pestle

Grizzman
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

> "Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote

>> Nancy seems to be of the type who wouldn't dally and I know she owns a
>> vaccum sealer (from other postings). Except for her sprinkling onion
>> powder
>> over a poor defensless pot, she has always seemed to me a intelligent
>> person.

> Rumor has it she vacuum seals her panties, but you didn't hear that from
> me.

What panties?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote on 28 May 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> I don't notice it because it's in the soup or on the steak. I don't
>> leave it sit there to clump. Having said that, my spices in my
>> cabinet aren't clumpy, either, except for the onion powder, and
>> that's my fault for sprinkling over the pot.

> Possibly Nancy open the freezer, gets her spices and closes the
> freezer...therefore the transfer takes place at the same temp/humidity and
> any moisture problems would occur only to the tbsp or so product she's
> removed.

Precisely. I don't know why people are taking it out and
putting it on the counter to look at. I take it out and use it.
Put the rest right back.

Thank you, Mr. L. You understand.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>
>> "Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote

>>> Nancy seems to be of the type who wouldn't dally and I know she owns a
>>> vaccum sealer (from other postings). Except for her sprinkling onion
>>> powder
>>> over a poor defensless pot, she has always seemed to me a intelligent
>>> person.

>> Rumor has it she vacuum seals her panties, but you didn't hear that from
>> me.

> What panties?

hehe attagirl)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

>>> Rumor has it she vacuum seals her panties, but you didn't hear that from
>>> me.

>> What panties?

> hehe attagirl)

(laugh) He didn't get that rumor from anyone who knows me,
that's for sure.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>
>> "Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote

>>> Nancy seems to be of the type who wouldn't dally and I know she owns a
>>> vaccum sealer (from other postings). Except for her sprinkling onion
>>> powder
>>> over a poor defensless pot, she has always seemed to me a intelligent
>>> person.

>> Rumor has it she vacuum seals her panties, but you didn't hear that from
>> me.

> What panties?
>
> nancy

Get over here, and fast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

willy lowman wrote:
> I am a BBQ fanatic.

Only apply them on the naughty bits.

-bwg

Opinion about BBQ rubs tutall Barbecue 10 14-06-2013 04:26 AM
Rubs Granby Barbecue 104 08-08-2009 12:47 AM
Question on BBQ Rubs Wayne Boatwright[_3_] Barbecue 17 19-01-2008 06:19 AM
Dry Rubs? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 0 11-09-2007 11:00 AM
About Rubs? Kent Barbecue 4 03-08-2006 05:48 AM