Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Problem with my apple pie

"Mordechai Housman" > wrote
> She said it was very good. I thought it was pretty good. I'm going to
> try next, G-d willing, with golden delicious apples. I used granny smith
> this time. After that, I may try a mix, or some other kind of apple, if
> I find any in the store.
>
> I am considering driving about half an hour away, if I can remember
> where it is, to a specialty apple store in this county. I like to
> experiment, so we'll see what I can find.

I enjoyed the discussion, Mordechai. I'm glad the pie was pretty good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mordechai Housman wrote:
> "Old Mother Ashby" > wrote in message
>> Mordechai Housman wrote:
>>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>> . uk...

>>> True.
>>>

>> For goodness sake Mordechai, why don't you just get on with it? Stop
>> agonising, decide on a recipe and give it a go. You will have
>> realised by now that there are hundreds of variations on basic apple
>> pie, and in the end it's all a matter of personal taste. If you don't
>> like cinnamon, leave it out. If you like a soggy bottom, fine. If you
>> don't have any cornstarch in the house, don't buy some specially, use
>> flour.
>>
>> If you don't like what comes out of the oven, analyse the result -
>> too sweet, not sweet enough, too much liquid, not enough - and adjust
>> your next attempt. That's what all experienced cooks do. That's why
>> there are so many recipes for apple pie.
>>
>> Cut to the chase, man.

> Good point. At any rate, I have already made the pie, and it was
> pretty good. I posted about it in one of the threads of this subject.
>
> Mordechai

Good on you! I read your post and it sounds as though you've made a
promising start. It'll just get better and better, trust me!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mordechai Housman wrote:
> "Old Mother Ashby" > wrote in message
>> Mordechai Housman wrote:

>>> Stone fruit? I'm not familiar with that term. Sounds like it would
>>> apply to peaches? What other fruit has a stone pit? (Forgive my
>>> ignorance -- I was born a city slicker and have only recently
>>> fulfilled a life-long dream and moved out to an almost-country-like
>>> area.)

>> You are guessing correctly. Stone fruit is peaches, nectarines,
>> apricots and the like, which ripen in the summer.
>>
>> I dunno what being a city slicker has to do with all this. Are you
>> implying that I'm some sort of country bumpkin? :-)

> I'm not much of a nectarine eater, though I like some types of plums,
> and I like apricots a little, and I had forgotten that those fruits
> have stone pits. Being form the city, I would see fruits only if I
> actually bought them, or were near them in some large produce store
> that also sold those fruits. Most of the time nectarines, plums and
> apricots are not found in those stores. Peaches are more likely to be
> found there.

I dunno, what happened to America, the land of plenty? I can only repeat
my sentiments in another post that I appreciate that I am truly
fortunate to live in a big city where you can easily buy just about
anything. But I would expect a comprehensive range of produce in any
Australian city, and at least a reasonable range in a township big
enough for a supermarket. Only in the extreme outback where transport
costs are prohibitive would I understand the sort of deprivation you
seem to have been used to.

> People from the country, on the other hand, or so I imagine hopefully,
> are more likely to see the fruits on trees and in local stores. Where
> I now live, there are more stores with such fruits and fruit products
> than I was used to seeing in the "big city."

I really don't see why people in the country would be more likely to see
the fruit on trees unless they lived in an orchard area. If you live in
the Mallee, for example, it's nothing but wheat and rapeseed for as far
as the eye can see.

Our next door neighbours have a nectarine tree in the front yard,
there's a place around the corner with a huge and prolific lemon tree in
the back yard. We've got a lemon tree in a tub, and a bay tree, but our
back yard is too tiny for much else.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:
<snip>
[Aside: DID YOU SEE WHAT I DID THERE? I SNIPPED ALL THAT PRECEDING CRAP
WHICH DOESN'T PERTAIN TO THIS POST! *YOU* SHOULD DO THAT TOO!]

> I dunno, what happened to America, the land of plenty? I can only repeat
> my sentiments in another post that I appreciate that I am truly fortunate
> to live in a big city where you can easily buy just about anything. But I
> would expect a comprehensive range of produce in any Australian city, and
> at least a reasonable range in a township big enough for a supermarket.
> Only in the extreme outback where transport costs are prohibitive would I
> understand the sort of deprivation you seem to have been used to.

Has Mordecai said where he lives? If he has, I don't remember seeing it. I
live in a fairly small town, but my local grocery store carries all manner
of fruits and vegetables.

Maybe he lives in an isolated community: Small towns pepper the USA; some of
them are a hundred miles or more from any major city. Grocery stores there
are usually small, and don't have the space to carry much in the way of
fresh fruits or vegetables.

(http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...denio&state=nv gives one example.)

If he lives near a major city (which is what I thought, based on his saying
he lives in an "almost-country-like area"), then he's just not looking in
the right places for produce. Or maybe he simply doesn't want to go into
town for groceries.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Anyway, by the time you posted that, my pie had long been out of the oven.
> In fact, that was around the time (10:30 or so) my wife and I were tasting
> it.
>
> She said it was very good. I thought it was pretty good. I'm going to try
> next, G-d willing, with golden delicious apples. I used granny smith this
> time. After that, I may try a mix, or some other kind of apple, if I find
> any in the store.
>
> I am considering driving about half an hour away, if I can remember where
> it is, to a specialty apple store in this county. I like to experiment, so
> we'll see what I can find.

Let us know how you get on

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mordechai Housman wrote on 27 May 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Where I
> now live, there are more stores with such fruits and fruit products

than
> I was used to seeing in the "big city."
>
> Mordechai

Not necessarily true. Usually this kinda thing happens when one is too
tied up with one thing, too committed... to say a career, a longterm ill
family member...that sort of thing. Or never leaving a fixed area.

Sure if I shopped in the same small local corner stores, in the same area
of town every time. It might take some time befoe I saw something new.
Smaller stores have less chance to try new things...due to less shelf
space, less knowledge of what's out there, and needing to make
happy/ensure their customers. Small stores have to go with what works or
they risk going out of business. Plus their suppliers don't necessarily
try to sell them newer types of products. For example a local corner
kosher grocery store wouldn't find necessary to carry a wide range of
Chinese, Mexican or Italian foodstuffs (even if the products met the
dietary laws).

Cities are where the most people are (concentrated population base), so
they see the "new" things first. New Products are usually tried/tested
out in larger population centers first.

In my opinion apple pie without spices is not worth making. Might as well
just make apple sauce, heck even the blandess apple sauce has spices.

Seems to me you need to expand your horizons or get a hobby or do
something rash like shop across town. Make youself a vow to try at least
one new thing (to you) a week...whether it be a food style/product,
movie, tying your shoes or a new route to work...Getting stuck in a rutt
can affect your intelligence, mood and other aspects of your life and
personality, and those of your children as well. Sure you'll have some
diasters but the pleasant surprises should make that well worth while.

But then again what do I know...I'm just a Blue Collar worker. And sure
it's easy to say these things...but finding the time and the energy is
yet another thing.

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> But then again what do I know...I'm just a Blue Collar worker. And sure
> it's easy to say these things...but finding the time and the energy is
> yet another thing.

Nice post Alan)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

>> Anyway, by the time you posted that, my pie had long been out of the
>> oven. In fact, that was around the time (10:30 or so) my wife and I
>> were tasting it.
>>
>> She said it was very good. I thought it was pretty good. I'm going to
>> try next, G-d willing, with golden delicious apples. I used granny
>> smith this time. After that, I may try a mix, or some other kind of
>> apple, if I find any in the store.
>>
>> I am considering driving about half an hour away, if I can remember
>> where it is, to a specialty apple store in this county. I like to
>> experiment, so we'll see what I can find.

> Mordecai, I would ask the specialty apple store for some words of
> wisdom on the purchase of apples for a pie.

Oh, of course. I expect they will have apples marketed specifically
for pies, but if not I intend to ask them for some. I'd never get
anywhere if I didn't ask questions from time to time, which is why I
would up on this newsgroup in the first place!

> IMO I don't think an apple pie of ALL golden delicious would be the
> right texture (too mushy), but that you would need a mix of at least 2
> apples, one not so mushy. I'd be interested to know what they say.

Hmm, I thought golden delicious were harder than that. Well, I guess
I'll find out. I'll have to document my results, I suppose, or else I'll
soon forget which pie tasted like what. I'll probably post my results
here, if there is any interest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Mordechai Housman" > wrote
>> She said it was very good. I thought it was pretty good. I'm going to
>> try next, G-d willing, with golden delicious apples. I used granny
>> smith
>> this time. After that, I may try a mix, or some other kind of apple,
>> if
>> I find any in the store.
>>
>> I am considering driving about half an hour away, if I can remember
>> where it is, to a specialty apple store in this county. I like to
>> experiment, so we'll see what I can find.
>>

> I enjoyed the discussion, Mordechai. I'm glad the pie was pretty good.

I enjoyed it as well. Thanks a bunch, all of you! (And eating the pie
was nice too!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Old Mother Ashby" > wrote in message
> Mordechai Housman wrote:

>>> For goodness sake Mordechai, why don't you just get on with it? Stop
>>> agonising, decide on a recipe and give it a go. You will have
>>> realised by now that there are hundreds of variations on basic apple
>>> pie, and in the end it's all a matter of personal taste. If you
>>> don't like cinnamon, leave it out. If you like a soggy bottom, fine.
>>> If you don't have any cornstarch in the house, don't buy some
>>> specially, use flour.
>>>
>>> If you don't like what comes out of the oven, analyse the result -
>>> too sweet, not sweet enough, too much liquid, not enough - and
>>> adjust your next attempt. That's what all experienced cooks do.
>>> That's why there are so many recipes for apple pie.
>>>
>>> Cut to the chase, man.

>> Good point. At any rate, I have already made the pie, and it was
>> pretty good. I posted about it in one of the threads of this subject.
>>
>> Mordechai
>>

> Good on you! I read your post and it sounds as though you've made a
> promising start. It'll just get better and better, trust me!
>
> Christine

Thank you VERY much for that encouragement! It's nice to hear a kind and
hopeful word.

I will admit, though, that probably the greatest encouragement I had was
the way the pie came out!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

>> I'm not much of a nectarine eater, though I like some types of plums,
>> and I like apricots a little, and I had forgotten that those fruits
>> have stone pits. Being form the city, I would see fruits only if I
>> actually bought them, or were near them in some large produce store
>> that also sold those fruits. Most of the time nectarines, plums and
>> apricots are not found in those stores. Peaches are more likely to be
>> found there.
>>
>> People from the country, on the other hand, or so I imagine
>> hopefully, are more likely to see the fruits on trees and in local
>> stores. Where I now live, there are more stores with such fruits and
>> fruit products than I was used to seeing in the "big city."
>>
>> Mordechai

> I have a surprise for you, Mordechai. Hardly anyone out here in the
> sticks knows what any fruit is except an apple, and that is mainly
> because Winchester, VA is the apple city and they have an apple
> festival and etc.
> If you gave them a test on whether a fruit was a nectarine, plum or
> apricot or peach, they may know the peach.
> There are individual farms around that sell produce in season, but
> they are definitely limited in what they grow.
> I do rely on buying produce that is not strictly potatoes, carrots,
> and onions in another larger city where there is an ethnic population.
> Dee Dee

Interesting. I don't have quite that same experience here, and where
I live is not truly country (at least not anymore -- but then again, you
can say that about ANY settled area), and I know only one farmer
personally -- and he lives here in Rockland County but has his farm in
upstate New York (right near the famous Woodstock, as it happens).

The stores here vary. The marge supermarket-type stores have the same
amount of variety that you would find in the average large supermarket
in New York City. Most will not have all that variety, except for
whatever exotic fruit or vegetable is in vogue at the moment.

But the smaller stores here have all sorts of brands, types, and even
fruits that I have never heard of. It can be quite fascinating
sometimes. But of course, it isn't alwayseasy finding these stores.
However, they are often listed on tourist maps of the area, and on the
internet.

> PS Mordechai is a first-name that is in my family in the late 1700's
> and early 1800's. You don't hear it much anymore; if at all.

I'm actually very into names, their meanings, their origins, and who
used them, and so forth.

I don't know your background, but I'm Orthodox-Jewish. Mordechai is a
common name among us, though not the most widely found. I know only one
Orthodox-Jewish Dee Dee, as far as I can recall, a niece of my sister's.
And that is actually her nickname, not her given name.

I have found though, that in the past decade or so, the name Mordecai
(without the h in the middle) has been used for several comic book
characters, though all of them evil! Or so I am told. The first known
usage of the name Mordechai (or Mordecai, in the English versions), as
you may know, was for a righteous person, in the Book of Esther. It's
from Aramaic, and means "fine myrrh." It is the Aramaic translation of a
phrase in the Jewish Bible. Fine myrrh was one of the eleven types of
incense that were used in the Tabernacle and the Holy Temple.

Might I ask what your background is, and that of your family in the 17
and 18 hundreds? I'm fascinated by this sort of historic information.
Where did they live?

Mordechai

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Old Mother Ashby" > wrote in message
>> Mordechai Housman wrote:

>>> Good point. At any rate, I have already made the pie, and it was pretty
>>> good. I posted about it in one of the threads of this subject.
>>>
>>> Mordechai
>>>

>> Good on you! I read your post and it sounds as though you've made a
>> promising start. It'll just get better and better, trust me!
>>
>> Christine

> Thank you VERY much for that encouragement! It's nice to hear a kind and
> hopeful word.
>
> I will admit, though, that probably the greatest encouragement I had was
> the way the pie came out!

Did I miss it, or was there a discussion about your pie crust; the one you
used for this pie? I'm interested in your crust,too.

I never made a good crust until I recently made a good one, which I probably
discussed ad infinitum here on this ng.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

> Did I miss it, or was there a discussion about your pie crust; the one you
> used for this pie? I'm interested in your crust,too.
>
> I never made a good crust until I recently made a good one, which I probably
> discussed ad infinitum here on this ng.

I don't understand why so many people have troubles with pie crusts. I have seen
lots of recipes for pastry dough posted here, but I have good luck with the
Crisco recipe. It always works. Sometimes it is not quite as good as other
times, but even those are better than many peoples best.
There are just a few things to remember, the most important being not to work it
too much. Cut the shortening into the flour only until the pieces are a little
less than pea size, then add the egg/ water/ vinegar and stir until it forms a
ball. I cut the ball into two, roll each and then flatten them a bit and then
into the fridge for 1-15 minutes. Use lots of flour to prevent sticking and
roll the ball out evenly into a circle by starting in the middle and rolling
out, and keep rotating. The dough should roll into a nice circle. Try to do it
right the first time. The pastry will not be as good if you mess it up and have
to roll it out a second or third time.

I just took a rhubarb pie out of the oven. It could be the best one yet. The
pastry looks great. I have a problem with someone in the house who thinks she is
my assistant baker. I start pies at high temperature and then turn them down
after 15 minutes and cook for another 40-50 minutes. To be on the safe side, I
set the timer for 30 minutes and then check it, taking it out if it looks done
or leaving it in if it looks too pale. I usually find something to do until the
timer goes. If my wife is around, she takes the pie out when the timer goes. I
keep telling her golden brown, but any colour at all seems to suit her, so I
come along and find an undercooked pie. The pie crust is pretty resilient to
minor changes in cooking time, but fruit fillings with flour need time to cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> PS Mordechai is a first-name that is in my family in the late 1700's and
>> early 1800's. You don't hear it much anymore; if at all.

> I'm actually very into names, their meanings, their origins, and who used
> them, and so forth.
>
> I don't know your background, but I'm Orthodox-Jewish. Mordechai is a
> common name among us, though not the most widely found. >

Might I ask what your background is, and that of your family in the 17 > and
18 hundreds?
I'm fascinated by this sort of historic information.
> Where did they live?

> Mordechai

This branch of the family (with the Mordechai and Malachai given names)
first surfaced in Virginia. Malachi gave his signature on "Early Virginia
Religious Petitions
October 22, 1776, Albemarle, Amherst, Buckingham, Dissenters, against
established churches, and for religious equality."
along with other members of this/my family group of men.

I think at that time it was prevalent for many white men, American Indian
and Black men to take biblical names.
All three races were there at that time.

With so many immigrants from Germany and much German ancestry in my family,
there may be Jewish ancestry, but none I've known about -- thus far :-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> I have a problem with someone in the house who thinks she is
> my assistant baker. I start pies at high temperature and then turn them down
> after 15 minutes and cook for another 40-50 minutes. To be on the safe side, I
> set the timer for 30 minutes and then check it, taking it out if it looks done
> or leaving it in if it looks too pale. I usually find something to do until the
> timer goes. If my wife is around, she takes the pie out when the timer goes. I
> keep telling her golden brown, but any colour at all seems to suit her, so I
> come along and find an undercooked pie. The pie crust is pretty resilient to
> minor changes in cooking time, but fruit fillings with flour need time to cook.

Set the timer for an hour. Set another pocket-sized timer for 30
minutes and carry it with you. HTH :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Mordechai Housman" > wrote in message

>>> Good on you! I read your post and it sounds as though you've made a
>>> promising start. It'll just get better and better, trust me!
>>>
>>> Christine

>> Thank you VERY much for that encouragement! It's nice to hear a kind
>> and hopeful word.
>>
>> I will admit, though, that probably the greatest encouragement I had
>> was the way the pie came out!

> Did I miss it, or was there a discussion about your pie crust; the one
> you used for this pie? I'm interested in your crust,too.
>
> I never made a good crust until I recently made a good one, which I
> probably discussed ad infinitum here on this ng.
> Dee Dee

I mentioned that at this point I'm using frozen pie crusts I bought in
the store. I'm not up to making my own just yet. Maybe in a month or so,
after I've tried a some variety in my pies, and I have some success
under my belt (literally, I'm afraid).

But some people posted some pie crust recipes, which I will probably
take a much closer look at in a few weeks, I hope.

Mordechai

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

> I'm 71 and I've been afraid to make a pie crust all my life, but have tried.
> I'm still afraid.

Pity. My mother was always a pretty good baker and often made delicious pies.
It was actually my brother who taught me how to make pastry. Good pastry is
good stuff. Bad pastry is not so great, but nothing to be afraid of.

> Also, I've watched foodnetwork for a few years now and none of them have
> convinced me that EYE could make a pie crust, until I saw Ina Garten on one
> of her shows make one in the food processor.

I don't recommend the FP for pie dough. I have tried it and the results were
substandard. I found that it chopped up the shortening too much. It is important
not to work the dough too much and to leave the shortening in chunks. They melt
and sort of fry little layers of the flour mixture, which is what makes pastry
flaky.

> I (we) have made two sets of pie crusts so far. The first was perfect, but
> the second because of my forgetfulness to add, or add enough,
> cornstarch/flour, the bottom inside crust was a little soggy.

Cornstarch???? I use the Crisco recipe... 2 cups o flour and 3/4 tsp. salt, 1
cup Crisco, 1 egg 2 Tbs.. cold water and 1 Tbs.. vinegar. Sift the flour and
salt, cut in the shortening. Beat the egg slightly and mix with water and
vinegar and then stir into the flour mixture until it forms a fall. Cut the ball
in half, form each half roughly into a ball, wrap in wax paper or plastic wrap
and refrigerate 10-15 minutes.

If the pastry is too soggy, just use a little extra bench flour when rolling it
out. The excess flour will be pressed into the dough and absorb some of the
excess water.

FWIW....yesterday I made the best rhubarb pie that I had done in a while. Like
they say, easy as pie. I got home from my riding lesson and mixed up the dough
in 3-4 minutes, turned the oven on and went out to the garden for the rhubarb. I
came back , washed and chopped the rhubarb, mixed it with 1/4 cup flour and 1
cup sugar. Took out the dough and rolled one ball for the bottom crust and lined
the pie pan, then rolled the top crust. I put the rhubarb mixture into the lined
pie pan and dotted with butter, put the top crust on, trimmed, sealed and
folded the edges, then into a 450 degree oven for 5 minutes, turned it down to
375 for another 40 minutes. It turned out great.

The only problem was that my wife would not try it. She is not a rhubarb fan.
She tried a piece of the one I made last week, one that she had ruined by taking
out of the oven too early, before the filling was properly cooked. Pity. This
one is great. OTOH.... more for me :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>>> I never made a good crust until I recently made a good one, which I
>>> probably discussed ad infinitum here on this ng.
>>> Dee Dee

>> I mentioned that at this point I'm using frozen pie crusts I bought
>> in the store. I'm not up to making my own just yet. Maybe in a month
>> or so, after I've tried a some variety in my pies, and I have some
>> success under my belt (literally, I'm afraid).
>>
>> But some people posted some pie crust recipes, which I will probably
>> take a much closer look at in a few weeks, I hope.
>>
>> Mordechai

> I'm 71 and I've been afraid to make a pie crust all my life, but have
> tried. I'm still afraid.
>
> Also, I've watched foodnetwork for a few years now and none of them
> have convinced me that EYE could make a pie crust, until I saw Ina
> Garten on one of her shows make one in the food processor.
>
> I (we) have made two sets of pie crusts so far. The first was
> perfect, but the second because of my forgetfulness to add, or add
> enough, cornstarch/flour, the bottom inside crust was a little soggy.
>
> Happy cooking,
> Dee Dee

But that's just how I LOVE my apple pies! The bottom crust to be soggy
at the place where it meets the apples. Of course, I usually want them
soggy from apple juice, but this may be good too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> I mentioned that at this point I'm using frozen pie crusts I bought
>>> in the store. I'm not up to making my own just yet. Maybe in a month
>>> or so, after I've tried a some variety in my pies, and I have some
>>> success under my belt (literally, I'm afraid).
>>>
>>> But some people posted some pie crust recipes, which I will probably
>>> take a much closer look at in a few weeks, I hope.
>>>
>>> Mordechai

>> I'm 71 and I've been afraid to make a pie crust all my life, but have
>> tried. I'm still afraid.
>>
>> Also, I've watched foodnetwork for a few years now and none of them
>> have convinced me that EYE could make a pie crust, until I saw Ina
>> Garten on one of her shows make one in the food processor.
>>
>> I (we) have made two sets of pie crusts so far. The first was
>> perfect, but the second because of my forgetfulness to add, or add
>> enough, cornstarch/flour, the bottom inside crust was a little soggy.
>>
>> Happy cooking,
>> Dee Dee

> But that's just how I LOVE my apple pies! The bottom crust to be soggy
> at the place where it meets the apples. Of course, I usually want them
> soggy from apple juice, but this may be good too.

Well, it looks like there's something for everyone. I think it might be
harder to make the bottom crispy, so you're probably in luck. (For me, when
the bottom crust is soggy, the (imaginary) dog gets it. :-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Mordechai Housman" > wrote in message

>>> I'm 71 and I've been afraid to make a pie crust all my life, but
>>> have
>>> tried. I'm still afraid.
>>>
>>> Also, I've watched foodnetwork for a few years now and none of them
>>> have convinced me that EYE could make a pie crust, until I saw Ina
>>> Garten on one of her shows make one in the food processor.
>>>
>>> I (we) have made two sets of pie crusts so far. The first was
>>> perfect, but the second because of my forgetfulness to add, or add
>>> enough, cornstarch/flour, the bottom inside crust was a little
>>> soggy.
>>>
>>> Happy cooking,
>>> Dee Dee

>> But that's just how I LOVE my apple pies! The bottom crust to be
>> soggy
>> at the place where it meets the apples. Of course, I usually want
>> them
>> soggy from apple juice, but this may be good too.
>>

> Well, it looks like there's something for everyone. I think it might
> be harder to make the bottom crispy, so you're probably in luck. (For
> me, when the bottom crust is soggy, the (imaginary) dog gets it. :-))
> Dee Dee

Pant, pant!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

> "Mordechai Housman" > wrote in message

> >> I'm 71 and I've been afraid to make a pie crust all my life, but have
> >> tried. I'm still afraid.
> >>
> >> Also, I've watched foodnetwork for a few years now and none of them
> >> have convinced me that EYE could make a pie crust, until I saw Ina
> >> Garten on one of her shows make one in the food processor.
> >>
> >> I (we) have made two sets of pie crusts so far. The first was
> >> perfect, but the second because of my forgetfulness to add, or add
> >> enough, cornstarch/flour, the bottom inside crust was a little soggy.
> >>
> >> Happy cooking,
> >> Dee Dee

> > But that's just how I LOVE my apple pies! The bottom crust to be soggy
> > at the place where it meets the apples. Of course, I usually want them
> > soggy from apple juice, but this may be good too.
> >

> Well, it looks like there's something for everyone. I think it might be
> harder to make the bottom crispy, so you're probably in luck. (For me, when
> the bottom crust is soggy, the (imaginary) dog gets it. :-))
> Dee Dee

When I make a meat pie from leftover roast or chicken, I paint the
bottom crust with some beaten egg. It may work for a fruit pie
too. .......Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Mordechai Housman" > wrote in message

>>> But that's just how I LOVE my apple pies! The bottom crust to be soggy
>>> at the place where it meets the apples. Of course, I usually want them
>>> soggy from apple juice, but this may be good too.
>>>

>> Well, it looks like there's something for everyone. I think it might be
>> harder to make the bottom crispy, so you're probably in luck. (For me,
>> when the bottom crust is soggy, the (imaginary) dog gets it. :-))
>> Dee Dee

> Pant, pant!

LOL. so cute.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> When I make a meat pie from leftover roast or chicken, I paint the
> bottom crust with some beaten egg. It may work for a fruit pie
> too. .......Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> When I make a meat pie from leftover roast or chicken, I paint the
> bottom crust with some beaten egg. It may work for a fruit pie
> too. .......Sharon

Thanks, Sharon, that might work for a pie that has too much liquid.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Mordechai Housman" > wrote in message
>> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Mordechai Housman" > wrote in message

>>> Well, it looks like there's something for everyone. I think it
>>> might be harder to make the bottom crispy, so you're probably in
>>> luck. (For me, when the bottom crust is soggy, the (imaginary) dog
>>> gets it. :-))
>>> Dee Dee

>> Pant, pant!

> LOL. so cute.
> Dee Dee

Why? It's just a pair of pants.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Mordechai Housman" > wrote in message

>>> Pant, pant!

>> LOL. so cute.
>> Dee Dee

> Why? It's just a pair of pants.

Down, boy, down.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mordechai Housman wrote:

>>> Why? It's just a pair of pants.

>> Down, boy, down.
>> Dee Dee

> Getting caught with one's pants down is not a good thing.

sez who?

Grizzman
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> Mordechai Housman wrote on 27 May 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Where I
>> now live, there are more stores with such fruits and fruit products

> than
>> I was used to seeing in the "big city."
>>
>> Mordechai
>>

> Not necessarily true. Usually this kinda thing happens when one is too
> tied up with one thing, too committed... to say a career, a longterm
> ill
> family member...that sort of thing. Or never leaving a fixed area.
>
> Sure if I shopped in the same small local corner stores, in the same
> area
> of town every time. It might take some time befoe I saw something new.
> Smaller stores have less chance to try new things...due to less shelf
> space, less knowledge of what's out there, and needing to make
> happy/ensure their customers. Small stores have to go with what works
> or
> they risk going out of business. Plus their suppliers don't
> necessarily
> try to sell them newer types of products. For example a local corner
> kosher grocery store wouldn't find necessary to carry a wide range of
> Chinese, Mexican or Italian foodstuffs (even if the products met the
> dietary laws).
>
> Cities are where the most people are (concentrated population base),
> so
> they see the "new" things first. New Products are usually tried/tested
> out in larger population centers first.
>
> In my opinion apple pie without spices is not worth making. Might as
> well
> just make apple sauce, heck even the blandess apple sauce has spices.
>
> Seems to me you need to expand your horizons or get a hobby or do
> something rash like shop across town. Make youself a vow to try at
> least
> one new thing (to you) a week...whether it be a food style/product,
> movie, tying your shoes or a new route to work...Getting stuck in a
> rutt
> can affect your intelligence, mood and other aspects of your life and
> personality, and those of your children as well. Sure you'll have some
> diasters but the pleasant surprises should make that well worth while.
>
> But then again what do I know...I'm just a Blue Collar worker. And
> sure
> it's easy to say these things...but finding the time and the energy is
> yet another thing.

I'm not anything close to rich myself. I'm not a highly paid skilled
worker or anything like that. But we all enjoy having a good time.

And I agree; now that the warmer weather is here, I have been trying
expand my horizons a bit, going out for different things more,
bicycling, though it a great deal for me to do so, walking a bit,
talking with friends and acquaintances now and then, things like that. I
hope maybe to go a little sightseeing around here, including finding
more exotic stores to shop in, if I can afford to buy anything there.

As it happens, my hobbies are writing and cooking, and I'm tentatively
expanding into baking. Which is why I am here. And I can't afford to do
much, but I'm trying anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> As it happens, my hobbies are writing and cooking, and I'm tentatively
> expanding into baking. Which is why I am here. And I can't afford to do
> much, but I'm trying anyway.

Writing and cooking -- that's a handfull.
I've done just about everything I've ever wanted to do in life, as far as
hobbies; I'm down to cooking -- every now and then adding a few things that
I've wanted to try.
I want to find something NEW!
I'm going to start a new thread and see what others are doing -- thanks for
the tip!
Dee Dee