4yr old Pinto Beans..cooking time?

Old 18-05-2006, 12:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 4yr old Pinto Beans..cooking time?

Hi,

I have some Pinto beans that are about 4yrs old. I looked up and saw that
people state that they will keep for 10+ (to indefinitely) if stored in dry
area.

I also found that cooking times will increase for beans over a year old.

Well, I've been cooking these beans for a few hours now and they're still a
bit crunchy.

I have been pretty much simmering on low w/ cover. Should it be higher?

How long should I be looking to cook these suckers?

Thanks for any help :-D

Old 18-05-2006, 12:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Glenn" wrote in message
Hi,

I have some Pinto beans that are about 4yrs old. I looked up and saw that
people state that they will keep for 10+ (to indefinitely) if stored in
dry area.

I also found that cooking times will increase for beans over a year old.

Well, I've been cooking these beans for a few hours now and they're still
a bit crunchy.

I have been pretty much simmering on low w/ cover. Should it be higher?

How long should I be looking to cook these suckers?

Another 3 years or so..

Sorry, couldn't resist

E.

Old 18-05-2006, 01:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

What elevation are you at?

If the beans are too old and you're in the high country,
they might not ever cook.

Did you pre-soak them?

Steve
Old 18-05-2006, 01:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" wrote in message
What elevation are you at?

If the beans are too old and you're in the high country,
they might not ever cook.

Did you pre-soak them?

Steve

Yes, presoaked about 6 or so hours (wife took them out and started them this
morning).

We're at 2800ft outside of Kingman Az.

So they're not going to cook then?

Thanks for the help

Old 18-05-2006, 01:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 May 2006 00:14:12 GMT, "Glenn"
wrote:

"Steve Pope" wrote in message
What elevation are you at?

If the beans are too old and you're in the high country,
they might not ever cook.

Did you pre-soak them?

Steve

Yes, presoaked about 6 or so hours (wife took them out and started them this
morning).

We're at 2800ft outside of Kingman Az.

So they're not going to cook then?

Thanks for the help

They should have soaked a minimum of 8 hours, even better 24 hours.
So you may end up with bean mush.

Old 18-05-2006, 03:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Glenn" wrote:

Hi,

I have some Pinto beans that are about 4yrs old. I looked up and saw that
people state that they will keep for 10+ (to indefinitely) if stored in dry
area.

I also found that cooking times will increase for beans over a year old.

Well, I've been cooking these beans for a few hours now and they're still a
bit crunchy.

I have been pretty much simmering on low w/ cover. Should it be higher?

How long should I be looking to cook these suckers?

Thanks for any help :-D

Pressure cook for 20 to 30 minutes. ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 19-05-2006, 09:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks to all the replied...

Sorry for not getting back until now. I have a relatively new PC and
the Outlook program, in the middle of this thread, decided that I
needed to register it for me to continue using it! Ugh!

Anyway, have a new newsreader now and just wanted to update.

I ended up feeding some of the beans to our dogs and composting the
rest. As one person stated that our elavation combined with the age of
the beans could conspire to make the beans bad. After several (at
least 4, possibly 6, can't recall) hours of cooking, the pinto beans
were still crunchy

Thanks again for replies

~Glenn

On Wed, 17 May 2006 21:10:24 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet

Old 19-05-2006, 09:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 May 2006 20:24:11 GMT, Glenn
wrote:
snipped
"I ended up feeding some of the beans to our dogs"

Boy, that little foxpaw is going to come back and surprise you when
you least expect it. Don't blame it on the dog now

Old 20-05-2006, 07:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Glenn" wrote in message
Thanks to all the replied...

Sorry for not getting back until now. I have a relatively new PC and
the Outlook program, in the middle of this thread, decided that I
needed to register it for me to continue using it! Ugh!

Anyway, have a new newsreader now and just wanted to update.

I ended up feeding some of the beans to our dogs and composting the
rest. As one person stated that our elavation combined with the age of
the beans could conspire to make the beans bad. After several (at
least 4, possibly 6, can't recall) hours of cooking, the pinto beans
were still crunchy

Thanks again for replies

Dried beans are one of the main reasons I bought a pressure cooker. I'm at a
higher elevation than you are, so it's even longer cooking here, and there's
a limit to how long I want to have a pot on the stove. And with the dry air
and elevation out to get me, I have to worry about the pot boiling dry, too.
With the pressure cooker, I can actually serve the beans the same day I
start cooking them. :-)

Donna

Old 25-05-2006, 11:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Pressure cooker, ok, gotcha!

Thanks again for the advice

On Sat, 20 May 2006 00:21:13 -0600, "D.Currie"
wrote:

.. .

Old 26-05-2006, 05:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"Steve Pope" wrote in message
What elevation are you at?

If the beans are too old and you're in the high country,
they might not ever cook.

Did you pre-soak them?

Steve

Yes, presoaked about 6 or so hours (wife took them out and started them this
morning).

We're at 2800ft outside of Kingman Az.

So they're not going to cook then?

Thanks for the help

They should have soaked a minimum of 8 hours, even better 24 hours.
So you may end up with bean mush.

But then you can take the mush and fry it in lard or extra light olive
oil, and it'll turn out lovely. I love pintos.

--Bryan

Old 26-05-2006, 02:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Glenn wrote:

I have some Pinto beans that are about 4yrs old. I looked up and saw that
people state that they will keep for 10+ (to indefinitely) if stored in dry
area.

I also found that cooking times will increase for beans over a year old.

Well, I've been cooking these beans for a few hours now and they're still a
bit crunchy.

I have been pretty much simmering on low w/ cover. Should it be higher?

How long should I be looking to cook these suckers?

Simmering in what?

Sheldon

Old 26-05-2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Glenn wrote:

I have some Pinto beans that are about 4yrs old. I looked up and saw that
people state that they will keep for 10+ (to indefinitely) if stored in dry
area.

I also found that cooking times will increase for beans over a year old.

Well, I've been cooking these beans for a few hours now and they're still a
bit crunchy.

I have been pretty much simmering on low w/ cover. Should it be higher?

How long should I be looking to cook these suckers?

Simmering in what?

Sheldon

water

Hmm, for someone wordy as you that's an awfully clipped response, lower
case and all.... most normal folks would have seasoned the water, at
least added some garlic, onion, s n' p., let alone a ham hock, etc....
plain H2O, hmm, hmm, hmm.

Sheldon

Old 26-05-2006, 09:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Glenn wrote:
[...]

minimalist.

Bob

rec.food.sourdough FAQ Questions and Answers Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 0 24-11-2005 06:28 AM
Pizza Sauce Recipe rmg General Cooking 4 26-01-2005 04:20 AM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Questions and Answers Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 0 16-01-2005 06:47 AM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Questions and Answers Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 0 29-12-2004 06:27 AM
Waterless Cooking: Cooking and nutrient loss Vox Humana Cooking Equipment 3 02-10-2003 07:18 PM