Broken Egg In Carton

Old 04-05-2006, 04:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Broken Egg In Carton

I went to the neighborhood supermarket today, and there was only one
carton of Jumbo eggs left. I noticed that one egg is broken. I bought
it anyway, since I prefer the jumbo eggs. I have set aside the eggs
stained by the egg white from the broken egg to be disposed.

Is it safe to eat the other eggs?

Thank you in advance ...

Old 04-05-2006, 05:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Why on earth would you dispose of the eggs which have egg white on
them?
I would just wash the eggs affected and store them, certainly not throw
them out.

Providing the eggs are within their use-by-date, they should be
perfectly ok.

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Old 04-05-2006, 07:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
On 3 May 2006 20:07:05 -0700, wrote:

I went to the neighborhood supermarket today, and there was only one
carton of Jumbo eggs left. I noticed that one egg is broken. I bought
it anyway, since I prefer the jumbo eggs. I have set aside the eggs
stained by the egg white from the broken egg to be disposed.

Is it safe to eat the other eggs?

I tell ya - Is Google Groups advertising on AOL and WebTV or
what? This new round of Google posts are getting out of hand.

-sw

Hmmmmmm, google snobs in rec.food.cooking? I thought this was a nice
group? Why is it that folks go off topic and put people down about
where they post from? I have never quite understood this concept. Is
it sort of like not wanting to spend time with people who live in
trailer parks and only spend time with people who have large houses in
the suburbs? How about cars? No pintos or old ramblers, but honda
accords or suvs are okay?

Hey, I'll be the first to admit that I"m not the sharpest tack in the
box when it comes to understanding computers. I have the basics down
and get around fairly well. I'm far from a computer nerd and live a
fairly simple life as a social worker, mom, decent human being. At
least I'm not a computer snob.

Now....back to the broken egg in the carton. I don't eat eggs and I'd
probably worry about contamination :-) I do buy eggs for my daughter I
just buy the organic ones. Should eggs always be washed off before
using them?

Old 04-05-2006, 12:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
" wrote:

I went to the neighborhood supermarket today, and there was only one
carton of Jumbo eggs left. I noticed that one egg is broken. I bought
it anyway, since I prefer the jumbo eggs. I have set aside the eggs
stained by the egg white from the broken egg to be disposed.

Is it safe to eat the other eggs?

Thank you in advance ...

Sure. It happens.
--
-Barb
http://jamlady.eboard.com Updated 4-30-2006, Dead Spread
Old 04-05-2006, 12:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
"tofuqueen" wrote:

Now....back to the broken egg in the carton. I don't eat eggs and I'd
probably worry about contamination :-) I do buy eggs for my daughter I
just buy the organic ones. Should eggs always be washed off before
using them?

It's probably not a bad idea, but I don't.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
In article . com,
"tofuqueen" wrote:

Now....back to the broken egg in the carton. I don't eat eggs and I'd
probably worry about contamination :-) I do buy eggs for my daughter I
just buy the organic ones. Should eggs always be washed off before
using them?

It's probably not a bad idea, but I don't.
--

Well, now that we're onto the subject of broken eggs, I've always wondered
if a cracked, uncooked egg is safe to eat? I check the cartons when I

kili

Old 04-05-2006, 02:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

LadyJane wrote:
Why on earth would you dispose of the eggs which have egg white on
them?
I would just wash the eggs affected and store them, certainly not throw
them out.

Providing the eggs are within their use-by-date, they should be
perfectly ok.

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember what someone once explained to
me.

Eggshells are porous - pores on the surface - and can harbor bacteria.
When liquid from the broken egg gets onto shells of the other eggs, it
can potentially create an incubating environment. When you crack open
the unbroken egg with a contaminated shell, the egg white running past
the contaminated shell can come into contact with the shell and also
become contaminated. This kind of contamination can cause some forms
of food poisoning.

I cannot substantiate it but only more of a hearsay ...

Old 04-05-2006, 04:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

Well, now that we're onto the subject of broken eggs, I've always wondered
if a cracked, uncooked egg is safe to eat? I check the cartons when I
purchase the eggs, but sometimes you get an egg that's kind of stuck to the
bottom of the carton because of a hairline crack in the shell. You don't
see it because it's not obvious when you buy the eggs. Is *that* egg safe
to eat?

kili

It seems obvious to me, but even though I don't wash eggs before using,
I would NEVER use an egg that had a crack, no matter how small, and
especially one that was stuck in the carton.

N.

Old 04-05-2006, 04:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote:
Well, now that we're onto the subject of broken eggs, I've always wondered
if a cracked, uncooked egg is safe to eat? I check the cartons when I
purchase the eggs, but sometimes you get an egg that's kind of stuck to
the
bottom of the carton because of a hairline crack in the shell. You don't
see it because it's not obvious when you buy the eggs. Is *that* egg safe
to eat?

I always check for signs of cracked shells, but sometimes I miss them, or
they get cracked on the way home.

I guess how one approaches this depends on how many uses one has for eggs.
Since I use them for lots of different things, I can always find a use for
them.

Cracked or older eggs get used for glazing the tops of loaves of bread, and
to help the seeds stick on the crust. They might also be used in other
baking where the eggs get thoroughly cooked. I don' use them just to eat by
themselves.

I also tend to use the freshest, most pristine eggs for things that aren't
cooked thoroughly, if cooked at all. Things like soft boiled eggs, or eggs
fried sunny side up where I want a thick, high standing white.

Yesterday I made tapioca cream pudding with very fresh eggs. The cookbook
(Settlement) with the recipe I use is rather inconsistent on warnings about
eggs. The egg section is rather stern in its warnings on raw or lightly
cooked eggs. But over in the desserts section, there is no mention at all of
a safety problem in the tapioca cream pudding recipe. The milk, tapioca, egg
yolks, sugar, and salt are cooked fairly well. But the egg whites are beaten
into stiff peaks and folded into the cool tapioca mixture. So the egg whites
are raw in the finished dish. I know this is a potential problem, but
personally I've never gotten sick from it in years of making it. But I would
never serve this to someone with a weakened immune system. The risk is low
but not worth taking. I also would not make this with cracked or older eggs.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Old 04-05-2006, 04:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article . com,
"tofuqueen" wrote:

Now....back to the broken egg in the carton. I don't eat eggs and I'd
probably worry about contamination :-) I do buy eggs for my daughter I
just buy the organic ones. Should eggs always be washed off before
using them?

It's probably not a bad idea, but I don't.

Unless purchased direct from the farmer eggs sold in the US have
already had their shells washed, sanitized, and coated with a
protectorate... any home washing will only help cause contamination...
do not wash eggs.

Everything you need to know about egg handling can be found he
http://www.aeb.org

Sheldon

Old 04-05-2006, 04:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

Well, now that we're onto the subject of broken eggs, I've always wondered
if a cracked, uncooked egg is safe to eat? I check the cartons when I
purchase the eggs, but sometimes you get an egg that's kind of stuck to the
bottom of the carton because of a hairline crack in the shell. You don't
see it because it's not obvious when you buy the eggs. Is *that* egg safe
to eat?

kili

Kili, to add to my previous post - you can tell if there are any stuck
eggs, by opening up the carton and running your hand lightly over the
top of the eggs to make sure they all move in the carton. Often, the
cashier will do this anyway to make sure you don't have any broken
ones. (Hmm, I guess I should wash them before using....)

N.

Old 04-05-2006, 04:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" wrote

Kili, to add to my previous post - you can tell if there are any stuck
eggs, by opening up the carton and running your hand lightly over the
top of the eggs to make sure they all move in the carton. Often, the
cashier will do this anyway to make sure you don't have any broken
ones. (Hmm, I guess I should wash them before using....)

(laugh) That's funny, especially as you know how very disgusting
dirty money is. Anyway, I always give each egg a little move to make
sure it's not stuck. Got stuck (no pun/whatever intended) with broken
eggs one too many times.

nancy

Old 04-05-2006, 05:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
kilikini wrote:

Kili, to add to my previous post - you can tell if there are any stuck
eggs, by opening up the carton and running your hand lightly over the
top of the eggs to make sure they all move in the carton. Often, the
cashier will do this anyway to make sure you don't have any broken
ones. (Hmm, I guess I should wash them before using....)

N.

I've never seen a cashier open an egg carton going through checkout in
my life. I guess they figure you're buying the eggs, you check.

And what Sheldon says is true.

Unless purchased direct from the farmer eggs sold in the US have
already had their shells washed, sanitized, and coated with a
protectorate... any home washing will only help cause contamination.

If I am unfortunate enough to get a cracked egg after checking the
carton, I trash it. No telling how long it's been sitting there with a
crack and I just don't want to take the chance of getting sick. Eggs
are too cheap to risk it.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 May 2006 20:07:05 -0700, "
wrote:

I went to the neighborhood supermarket today, and there was only one
carton of Jumbo eggs left. I noticed that one egg is broken. I bought
it anyway, since I prefer the jumbo eggs. I have set aside the eggs
stained by the egg white from the broken egg to be disposed.

Is it safe to eat the other eggs?

Thank you in advance ...

Check out www.aeb.org
It is the American Egg Board and has all the information you will ever
need about eggs.
--
Susan N.