Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

Default 5 lb bag of sugar is 4 lbs...

I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5 pound"
bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price PER
BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc. rather
than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
weight

I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old standards"
like sugar make that change?

(FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost 100%
over last year.)

--
------

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hob wrote:
> I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5 pound"
> bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price PER
> BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
> Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc. rather
> than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
> weight
>
> I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
> any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
> displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old standards"
> like sugar make that change?
>
> (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost 100%
> over last year.)

ha! I noticed the same thing yesterday too. Really irritating. I also noticed
a while back that the Breyers half gallon is now 1.75 quarts.

Sugar has gone up in price and so has flour.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hob" > wrote in message
> I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5

pound"
> bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price

PER
> BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
> Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc.

rather
> than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
> weight
>
> I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
> any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
> displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old standards"
> like sugar make that change?
>
> (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost

100%
> over last year.)
>

> --
> ------

Well, I know for a fact that the sugar industry in Hawaii is slowly moving
to Costa Rica, Filippines, and Thailand. I'd say within 10 years, there
won't be anymore sugar produced in U.S. islands. Could that be affecting
part of the price?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hob wrote:

> I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity
> without any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars
> put out in new displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when
> did the "old standards" like sugar make that change?
>
> (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up
> almost 100% over last year.)

The sugar industry is a terrible racket, maintained
by large donations to corrupt politicians. You may
pay double what you did last year, but people outside
the U.S. pay less than half for the same thing.

Quoting from this article:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0408/p01s02-usec.htm

"Here in the US, consumers – including candymakers – pay
at least twice the world-market price. That's why
America's soft-drink makers long ago shifted from sugar
to corn syrup to sweeten their beverages.
Candymakers usually can't make that change,
especially in high-sugar-content hard candy."

Quoting from this article:

"Kraft Foods Inc. is closing the plant and moving its
operations to Canada, where sugar is half the price
and its work force will be nonunion. The move will
wipe out 600 union jobs that pay an average of $15.50
an hour."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hob wrote:

> I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5 pound"
> bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price PER
> BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
> Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc. rather
> than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
> weight
>
> I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
> any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
> displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old standards"
> like sugar make that change?
>
> (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost 100%
> over last year.)

I started buying flour in larger sizes. A 5 kg. bag doesn't cost much more than
a 2 kg. bag, and a 10 kg. bag doesn't cost much more than a 5 kg. bag. I never
used to buy the larger bags because it seemed like I would have a lot more flour
on hand than I needed, but when I realized that it costs about half as much per
pound I was easily convinced.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> The sugar industry is a terrible racket, maintained
> by large donations to corrupt politicians. You may
> pay double what you did last year, but people outside
> the U.S. pay less than half for the same thing.

It was the sugar business that was responsible for such gross
mismanagement of the Cuban economy that it was ripe for rebellion.

I think American consumers get ripped on a lot of things. I used to do
a lot of cross border shopping and when our dollar was worth about 25%
less most fruits and vegetables were the same price. At the time, a
head of lettuce was 99 cents. I could buy it at home for 99 cents or
cross the border and pay 99 cents US... $130 Cdn. CDs, computer
programs, jeans ... all the same price figure in Canada as they are in
the US.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hob wrote:
> I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5 pound"
> bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price PER
> BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
> Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc. rather
> than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
> weight
>
> I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
> any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
> displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old standards"
> like sugar make that change?
>
> (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost 100%
> over last year.)

They try it with everything. My buddy did some design work for a local
plant that cans stuff for Wally. He said they set up a line at Wallys
request to package 4 packs instead of 6 packs. The stated intent was
that if it had the usual plastic ring carrier no one would notice they
just bought a 4 pack for the 6 pack price.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-04-30, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> wipe out 600 union jobs that pay an average of $15.50
> an hour."

Why do you think our Southern borders are not protected? Illegals
have been busting our unions since the late 70's. You don't really
think all these illegals are due to our govt just being lax, do you?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hob wrote:
> I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5 pound"
> bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price PER
> BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
> Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc. rather
> than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
> weight
>
> I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
> any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
> displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old standards"
> like sugar make that change?
>
> (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost 100%
> over last year.)

Just wait until you take a closer look at your favorite one-pound (or 2
pound or 3 pound) can of coffee!

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> <cough> that 5# bag of sugar has weighed 4# for several years.
> The two pound box of graham crackers doesn't weigh two pounds anymore,
> either. OTOH, the 1# box doesn't weight a pound, either. Tricky price
> increases.

I do wish they'd make the packaging smaller just to use less resources.
I would appreciate carrying less home to dispose of, as well as less
waste in the environment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Well, I know for a fact that the sugar industry in Hawaii is slowly
> moving to Costa Rica, Filippines, and Thailand. I'd say within
> 10 years, there won't be anymore sugar produced in U.S. islands.
> Could that be affecting part of the price?
>
> kili

There will always be a large beet-sugar industry
in the U.S., as long as taxpayers are willing
to support it. It would disappear tomorrow
if it was forced to compete in international
markets against cane sugar, BUT THERE'S NO WAY
THAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:57:57 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > The sugar industry is a terrible racket, maintained
> > by large donations to corrupt politicians.

> You can blame the HFCS lobby for that. Not only Kraft, but many
> candy makers have moved to Canada (LifeSavers, ie), putting
> Americans out of work all to fatten the politicians pockets.
> Somebody gimme a gun... I *HATE* politicians.

You can't blame the HFCS industry for creating
the sugar racket. They merely exploited the
price supports created by the sugar beet industry.
Essentially, HFCS is an end-run around the
sugar price supports, and now that it is an
established industy, they certainly don't want
to see the pricing regime change.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> "Kraft Foods Inc. is closing the plant and moving its
> operations to Canada, where sugar is half the price
> and its work force will be nonunion. The move will
> wipe out 600 union jobs that pay an average of $15.50
> an hour."

In the meantime the head honchos at the top of the corporate ladder
will still make their questionable 6 and 7 figure salaries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> In the meantime the head honchos at the top of the corporate
> ladder will still make their questionable 6 and 7 figure salaries.

Hey, if they advance the stock price,
why should any stockholder care?

It's like the recent fuss about the $400M
retirement package for the head of Exxon.

If that guy made $401M for Exxon that it
would not have had otherwise, he was worth
every penny. That's why I'm not bothered
by the money that sports and movie stars
make -- if one of them makes $10M extra
profits for CBS (or whomever), I'd be
in favor of him or her getting as much
of that $10M as possible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > <cough> that 5# bag of sugar has weighed 4# for several years.
> > The two pound box of graham crackers doesn't weigh two pounds anymore,
> > either. OTOH, the 1# box doesn't weigh a pound, either. Tricky price
> > increases.

> I do wish they'd make the packaging smaller just to use less resources.
> I would appreciate carrying less home to dispose of, as well as less
> waste in the environment.

Indeed, the boxes (graham crackers) are smaller. So is the cracker.
Same number of packets within, though. Like I said. . . . tricky little
buggers. And the 4# bag of sugar is smaller than the 5#. Not a lot --
about a pounds' worth. "-)
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-30-2006, Dead Spread
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hob" > wrote in message
> I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5

pound"
> bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price

PER
> BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
> Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc.

rather
> than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
> weight
>
> I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
> any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
> displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old standards"
> like sugar make that change?
>
> (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost

100%
> over last year.)

We eat way too much sugar anyway. I hear the average US household goes
through 160 pounds of it every year *per person*.
http://www.cspinet.org/new/sugar_limit.html

14 pounds a month is simply unbelievable - that's almost a half pound a day.
I have had he same box of sugar, 8 ounces, in my pantry for no less than 3
years now.

It's a commodity item and its cost is indexed to other goods which is why we
pay so much more for it. Any market with the demand that this country has
can expect to pay a lot more for it. Why sell low when the demand supports
gouging? Same for oil.

Do yourself a flavor - go savory.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Mark Thorson wrote:
> >

> > "Kraft Foods Inc. is closing the plant and moving its
> > operations to Canada, where sugar is half the price
> > and its work force will be nonunion. The move will
> > wipe out 600 union jobs that pay an average of $15.50
> > an hour."

> In the meantime the head honchos at the top of the corporate ladder
> will still make their questionable 6 and 7 figure salaries.

7 figures is so last week. Try 8 figures and even 9 when you factor in the
entire value of their pay package. It's obscene.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> " wrote:
> >
> > In the meantime the head honchos at the top of the corporate
> > ladder will still make their questionable 6 and 7 figure salaries.

> Hey, if they advance the stock price,
> why should any stockholder care?
>
> It's like the recent fuss about the $400M
> retirement package for the head of Exxon.
>
> If that guy made $401M for Exxon that it
> would not have had otherwise, he was worth
> every penny. That's why I'm not bothered
> by the money that sports and movie stars
> make -- if one of them makes $10M extra
> profits for CBS (or whomever), I'd be
> in favor of him or her getting as much
> of that $10M as possible.

When I worked for Lucent, the CEO had a 100 million dollar pay and severance
package. During his reign of ineptitude, Lucent stock went from around 90
bucks a share to about 7 bucks a share. Richard McGinn walked away with all
of his pay, plus bonuses after completely ruining the company in 2 short
years. Oh and he exercised his options before the price tanked. The guy
was out for 1 thing and one thing only, jacking up the stock price so he
could cash out and then letting the company fail.

Crime pays.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:

> We eat way too much sugar anyway. I hear the average US household goes
> through 160 pounds of it every year *per person*.
> http://www.cspinet.org/new/sugar_limit.html

I belive they are referring to sugar in processed foods, rather than
purchased sugar. I couldn't imagine buying & using that much sugar.

> 14 pounds a month is simply unbelievable - that's almost a half pound a day.
> I have had he same box of sugar, 8 ounces, in my pantry for no less than 3
> years now.
>
> It's a commodity item and its cost is indexed to other goods which is why we
> pay so much more for it. Any market with the demand that this country has
> can expect to pay a lot more for it. Why sell low when the demand supports
> gouging? Same for oil.
>
> Do yourself a flavor - go savory.
>
> Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>The move will
wipe out 600 union jobs that pay an average of $15.50
an hour."

Not as clear as all that. First, much of the world depends on beet
sugar, and I pay a premium for cane sugar as brown sugar. I use beet
for everything else. I just checked a package of brown cane sugar,
store brand and it says €2.40 for 500 g, or 1.1 pounds. That's
almost $3 a pound.
Second, $15.50 an hour is very high pay indeed here in Italy and is
paid to highly skilled workers only. The employer pays a similar
amount for various social and tax schemes, all nice to have but keeping
cash earnings down.
So, from my POV there really isn't a world market price because you are
talking two different products entirely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Denise~* wrote:
> Paul M. Cook wrote:
> >
> > We eat way too much sugar anyway. I hear the average US household goes
> > through 160 pounds of it every year *per person*.
> > http://www.cspinet.org/new/sugar_limit.html

> I belive they are referring to sugar in processed foods, rather than
> purchased sugar. I couldn't imagine buying & using that much sugar.

I believe they're speaking of *all* sugar even that contained naturally
in foods, like in fruit, vegetables, and in wine and beer!

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hob" > wrote in message
>I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5 pound"
> bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price
> PER
> BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
> Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc.
> rather
> than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
> weight
>
> I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
> any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
> displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old standards"
> like sugar make that change?
>
> (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost
> 100%
> over last year.)

It hasn't been downsized. They make 3 sizes currently:

4-lb. bag
4-lb. New Plastic Canister
5-lb. bag

The unit price *has* gone up some, but that's due to freight more than any
other factor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hob wrote:
> I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5 pound"
> bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price PER
> BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
> Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc. rather
> than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
> weight
>
> I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
> any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
> displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old standards"
> like sugar make that change?

I hate to tell you this, but the "5 lb." bag of sugar has been 4 lbs.
for quite a while. Same phenom can be observed in coffee weights.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> hob wrote:
>> I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5
>> pound"
>> bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price
>> PER
>> BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
>> Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc.
>> rather
>> than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
>> weight
>>
>> I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
>> any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
>> displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old standards"
>> like sugar make that change?

> I hate to tell you this, but the "5 lb." bag of sugar has been 4 lbs.
> for quite a while. Same phenom can be observed in coffee weights.
>
> N.

No it hasn't, assuming you're talking about Domino. Your store has chosen to
carry the 4 lb bag. Which store do you shop at?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> hob wrote:
>
>>I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5 pound"
>>bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price PER
>>BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
>> Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc. rather
>>than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
>>weight
>>
>> I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
>>any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
>>displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old standards"
>>like sugar make that change?

> I hate to tell you this, but the "5 lb." bag of sugar has been 4 lbs.
> for quite a while. Same phenom can be observed in coffee weights.
>
> N.

Not at the stores where I commonly shop. I just bought a actual 5 lb
weight "5 lb" bag last week.

The coffee is another story. You may remember how they tried to spin
that "we grind it using a new process so you need to use less...". Then
how would they explain the 12.5 oz actual weight "1 lb" bag of unground
beans?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Denise~* wrote:
> > Paul M. Cook wrote:
> > >
> > > We eat way too much sugar anyway. I hear the average US household

goes
> > > through 160 pounds of it every year *per person*.
> > > http://www.cspinet.org/new/sugar_limit.html

> > I belive they are referring to sugar in processed foods, rather than
> > purchased sugar. I couldn't imagine buying & using that much sugar.

> I believe they're speaking of *all* sugar even that contained naturally
> in foods, like in fruit, vegetables, and in wine and beer!

No they are not. They are talking about all processed sugars and this
includes either pure or as an ingredient. It's a hell of a lot of sugar and
that statistic was from 1999 - the actual number now is probably even higher
still. There simply is no way to even estimate how much "natural" sugars
are consumed as well.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hob" > wrote in message

> (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost
> 100%
> over last year.)

The wholesale price has done no such thing. What do you mean by "looks
like"??? What were you looking at when you came up with your 100% figure?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I just went to do a little food shopping, happened to see the
sugar ... all 5 lb bags except for the no name brand, that was 4.
Never heard of a 4lb bag of sugar before today. Not paying
attention.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 01 May 2006 11:10:24a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy Young?

> I just went to do a little food shopping, happened to see the
> sugar ... all 5 lb bags except for the no name brand, that was 4.
> Never heard of a 4lb bag of sugar before today. Not paying
> attention.

If it makes a difference to anyone, you should also look to see if it is
"pure cane sugar". Beet sugar is also a greater share of the sugar for sale
now.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
> "hob" > wrote in message
> >I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5

pound"
> > bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price
> > PER
> > BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
> > Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc.
> > rather
> > than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
> > weight
> >
> > I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
> > any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
> > displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old

standards"
> > like sugar make that change?
> >
> > (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost
> > 100%
> > over last year.)

> It hasn't been downsized. They make 3 sizes currently:
>
> 4-lb. bag
> 4-lb. New Plastic Canister
> 5-lb. bag

The 5 lb bags from C&H and Crystal, offered for an eternity at the local
upscale bigmart, have been replaced on the shelf by 4 lb bags of C&H and
Crystal.

No 5 lb bags offered.

(ONTOH, I almost always buy "fine" baker's sugar in the carton, so for me
it's more a curiosity than anything else)

> The unit price *has* gone up some, but that's due to freight more than any
> other factor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hob" > wrote in message

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>> "hob" > wrote in message
>> >I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5

> pound"
>> > bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price
>> > PER
>> > BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
>> > Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc.
>> > rather
>> > than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
>> > weight
>> >
>> > I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity
>> > without
>> > any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
>> > displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old

> standards"
>> > like sugar make that change?
>> >
>> > (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost
>> > 100%
>> > over last year.)

>> It hasn't been downsized. They make 3 sizes currently:
>>
>> 4-lb. bag
>> 4-lb. New Plastic Canister
>> 5-lb. bag

> The 5 lb bags from C&H and Crystal, offered for an eternity at the local
> upscale bigmart, have been replaced on the shelf by 4 lb bags of C&H and
> Crystal.
>
> No 5 lb bags offered.

C&H makes 4, 5 & 10 lb bags. Nothing has been downsized. The decision to
carry only the 4 lb bag was made by your supermarket's buying department,
for any of a number of reasons. What store do you shop at?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
> "hob" > wrote in message
>
> > (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost
> > 100%
> > over last year.)

> The wholesale price has done no such thing. What do you mean by "looks
> like"??? What were you looking at when you came up with your 100% figure?

I paid $.99 for 5 lb bag of sugar on sale late last fall and the 4 lb bags
are $1.69 on sale a few days ago.
( First, 5 lb just fills my canister and I never buy 10 lb bags, and
second, I made candy for a group around Christmas that took five pounds of
sugar and I needed to submit the costs.)

that's .20 a lb then vs .42 a lb now.

Ok, so it's up 110%. Close enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
> "hob" > wrote in message

> > pound"

price

"unit's"

new

> > standards"

almost

> >> It hasn't been downsized. They make 3 sizes currently:
> >>
> >> 4-lb. bag
> >> 4-lb. New Plastic Canister
> >> 5-lb. bag

> > The 5 lb bags from C&H and Crystal, offered for an eternity at the local
> > upscale bigmart, have been replaced on the shelf by 4 lb bags of C&H and
> > Crystal.
> >
> > No 5 lb bags offered.

> C&H makes 4, 5 & 10 lb bags. Nothing has been downsized. The decision to
> carry only the 4 lb bag was made by your supermarket's buying department,
> for any of a number of reasons. What store do you shop at?

byerly's

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hob" > wrote in message

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>> "hob" > wrote in message
>>
>> > (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost
>> > 100%
>> > over last year.)

>> The wholesale price has done no such thing. What do you mean by "looks
>> like"??? What were you looking at when you came up with your 100%
>> figure?
>>

> I paid $.99 for 5 lb bag of sugar on sale late last fall and the 4 lb
> bags
> are $1.69 on sale a few days ago.
> ( First, 5 lb just fills my canister and I never buy 10 lb bags, and
> second, I made candy for a group around Christmas that took five pounds of
> sugar and I needed to submit the costs.)
>
> that's .20 a lb then vs .42 a lb now.
>
> Ok, so it's up 110%. Close enough.

First, a question: How old are you?

Now, some data. Right now, unless a store negotiates a hot deal with Domino
or C&H, they're paying about $2.00 for a 5 lb bag of sugar. This price has
been the same, give or take a quarter, for the past year.

Another question: Why do you think your store occasionally sells these $2.00
bags of sugar for $0.99?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
> "hob" > wrote in message
> >I was walking through the store yesterday, and I noticed that the "5

pound"
> > bags of sugar (of all producers) were now all 4 pounds.. (and the price
> > PER
> > BAG was also up from last year, fwiw).
> > Since I almost always buy by the "unit", e.g., can, bag, box, etc.
> > rather
> > than by the weight, I don't really pay close attention to the "unit's"
> > weight
> >
> > I realize there has been a lot of "downsizing" of the quantity without
> > any commensurate lowering of price (a lot of candy bars put out in new
> > displays in the past few weeks, e.g., ), but when did the "old

standards"
> > like sugar make that change?
> >
> > (FWIW 2 - It also looks like the price per pound of sugar is up almost
> > 100%
> > over last year.)

> It hasn't been downsized. They make 3 sizes currently:
>
> 4-lb. bag
> 4-lb. New Plastic Canister
> 5-lb. bag
>
> The unit price *has* gone up some, but that's due to freight more than any
> other factor.

No, you are wrong. The price of sugar has jumped significantly.

from the USDA

refined sugar price November 2005 - 13.10
refined sugar price April 2006 -21.35

in the last six months, price of refined is up 63%

--------

from the USDA

raw sugar price, November 2005 -12.86
raw sugar price, April 2006 -18.21

in the last six months, price of raw is up 42%

http://www.ers.usda.gov/briefing/sugar/Data/Table02.xls

http://www.ers.usda.gov/briefing/sugar/Data/Table03.xls