Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Top 10 Home-Cooked Meals

I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my FAVORITES.
And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you ask me again
a week from now, at least five of them will probably be different. So what
are YOUR top ten favorite meals?

1. Roast Chicken (so versatile!)
2. Barbecued Pork Ribs with the typical barbecue fixin's
3. Seared Scallops with Habañero-Mango Salsa
4. Pastitsio[*]
5. Beef Sukiyaki[*]
6. Singapore Chili Crab
7. Pho
8. Pork Braised in Milk[*]
9. Ma-La (Spicy & Numbing) Beef with Vegetables and Noodles
10. Vindaloo
[*] Will change when summer hits

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Interesting choices, Bob--they look delicious. I notice that 6 of the
10 are Asian dishes.

Cheers, Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my FAVORITES.
> And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you ask me again
> a week from now, at least five of them will probably be different. So what
> are YOUR top ten favorite meals? [snips]

I was surprised how fast this list went together. No doubt, as you
say, it would be different next week. In no particular order:
-aem

1. Beef with mushrooms, peapods, and oyster sauce. Stirfry.
2. Shrimp with chili-garlic paste. Stirfry.
3. Red-cooked chicken ("loo"), thighs or drumsticks or wings. Picnic
fare.
4. Sichuan eggplant in fish sauce (means spicy sauce for fish, not
made of fish).
5. Rabo encendido--Cuban-style braised oxtails.
6. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob. -- It's the
gravy that makes it.
7. Coq au vin, prepared as Julia taught.
8. Charcoal grilled steak. Usually New York strip. I make do with a
gas grill and wood chips. Twice-baked potato, or French fries.
Creamed spinach or spinach salad.
9. King or silver salmon, grilled, basted with mixture of maple syrup
and soy sauce. Pilaf.
10. Spaghetti with homemade "Italian gravy". Pork shoulder/butt in
long-cooked tomato sauce.

Honorable mention: pork spareribs, marinated overnight in standard
Chinese sauce--soy, rice wine, ginger, garlic, dried red chiles,
pre-cooked in oven at 225°F until near done, then finished on grill
with smoke, basted with soy sauce and melted butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 Apr 2006 21:44:12 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my FAVORITES.
>And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you ask me again
>a week from now, at least five of them will probably be different. So what
>are YOUR top ten favorite meals?

Hmm. Favorites, as opposed to most frequent. Gotcha. These aren't in
any kind of order, just as they occurred to me.

1. Chicken and dumplings
2. Spaghetti with tomato sauce
3. Roasted root veggies
4. Tacos
5. Split pea soup
6. Falafel and baba ganouj
7. Quiche
8. Yakisoba
9. Slow-cooked pork
10. Roasted chicken

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancree wrote:

> Interesting choices, Bob--they look delicious. I notice that 6 of the
> 10 are Asian dishes.

Huh? I only counted five, and they come from five different cuisines.

Beef Sukiyaki is Japanese
Singapore Chili Crab is Nonya (I suppose)
Pho is Vietnamese
Ma-La (Spicy & Numbing) Beef with Vegetables and Noodles is Szechuan
Vindaloo is Goan (Indian)

The remaining ones are

Roast Chicken
Barbecued Pork Ribs
Seared Scallops with Habañero-Mango Salsa
Pastitsio
Pork Braised in Milk

Which one of those did you think was Asian?

[As a side note, doesn't Asia -- including the Indian subcontinent --
account for at least sixty percent of the world's population?]

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> 7. Coq au vin, prepared as Julia taught.
>
> 10. Spaghetti with homemade "Italian gravy". Pork shoulder/butt in
> long-cooked tomato sauce.

Funny you should mention those. Both of those were on my original list of
favorites, but got taken off when I pared the list down to ten entries. The
coq au vin was temporarily supplanted by liver with bacon, onions, stewed
figs, and a red-wine jus, but that eventually got taken off too.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Here's mine - right from scratch:

1. TV Dinner Surprise
2. Gormet Banquet Chicken
3. Michelani frozon meals (Mama's style)
4. Deep fried chicken (with just the right amount of shortening)
5. Baked Pork Chops (non-butterflied), seasoned with Kraft
House Italian Dressing and garlic salt
6. Beef Taco's (Elpaso Style)
7. Shrimp Scampi (now this one I actually do make from scratch -
well, haven't found a way to make the shrimp from scratch yet)
8. Chef salad with exquisite extras within and albacore tuna on the side
9. Mr. P's peperoni pizza

And lastly ..... get ready!

10. All American, specialty ordered Campbels Chicken Noodle Soup

Now, please! Hold your applause! If you're really nice, I'll post my
invaluable recipes to the above dishes at no charge.

Bill

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Nancree wrote:
>
> > Interesting choices, Bob--they look delicious. I notice that 6 of the
> > 10 are Asian dishes.

> Huh? I only counted five, and they come from five different cuisines.
>
> Beef Sukiyaki is Japanese
> Singapore Chili Crab is Nonya (I suppose)
> Pho is Vietnamese
> Ma-La (Spicy & Numbing) Beef with Vegetables and Noodles is Szechuan
> Vindaloo is Goan (Indian)
>

> The remaining ones are
>
> Roast Chicken
> Barbecued Pork Ribs
> Seared Scallops with Habañero-Mango Salsa
> Pastitsio
> Pork Braised in Milk
>

> Which one of those did you think was Asian?
>
> [As a side note, doesn't Asia -- including the Indian subcontinent --
> account for at least sixty percent of the world's population?]
>
> Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 04:06:05 GMT, Bill-NWG wrote:

> Now, please! Hold your applause! If you're really nice, I'll post my
> invaluable recipes to the above dishes at no charge.
>
> Bill

I like you... stick around rrfc, you're a real hoot.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my FAVORITES.
> And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you ask me again
> a week from now, at least five of them will probably be different. So what
> are YOUR top ten favorite meals?
>
> 1. Roast Chicken (so versatile!)
> 2. Barbecued Pork Ribs with the typical barbecue fixin's
> 3. Seared Scallops with Habañero-Mango Salsa
> 4. Pastitsio[*]

have you ever posted your recipe for this? I would love to have it!

My top 10 entrees a

Chicken pot-roast (cooked under cover with carrots, onions and
potatoes)
Turkey Meatloaf
Turkey Burgers with fries
Roast whole turkey
baked fresh Ham
Chicken quesadillas or chicken burritos
Shrimp and pasta and veggies
Pasta with meat/veggie sauce
Chili with or without dogs and cheese
Pizza (the infamous "I made a pizza")
lasagne

Ok, that's 11.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in news:444c3b14$0
:

#1 Cast Iron Pan Fried Chicken (Doesn't taste as good if not CI)
#2 Lasagna
#3 Hamburgers ala "What Einstien Told his Cook" (Thin layer of Kosher Salt
in a cast iron pan, no seasoning to the beef)
#4 Spaghetti & Meat Sauce
#5 Pizza
#6 Chili Cheese Noodles
#7 Herb Roasted Chicken
#8 Pot Roast
#9 Krystal's, White Castles or Denny's similar burger
#10 Sausage, Eggs & Cheese (Often in the form of a Fritata)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob's list has some overlap with mine. In no particular order:

Duck a l'Orange
Smoked ribs with homemade BBQ sauce
Just about any kind of fish with mango-habanero salso
Singapore Chili Crab
Cambodian sweet and sour catfish soup
Grilled NY strip steak (leftovers used for Thai beef salad)
Spaghetti Puttanesca
Paella (or its Cajun cousin, Jambalaya)
Cheese enchiladas (in New Mexico style red chile sauce)
Steamed shrimp (Chesapeake Bay style)

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my
> FAVORITES. And the list is only good for the way I feel right now.
> If you ask me again a week from now, at least five of them will
> probably be different. So what are YOUR top ten favorite meals?
>
> 1. Roast Chicken (so versatile!)
> 2. Barbecued Pork Ribs with the typical barbecue fixin's
> 3. Seared Scallops with Habañero-Mango Salsa
> 4. Pastitsio[*]
> 5. Beef Sukiyaki[*]
> 6. Singapore Chili Crab
> 7. Pho
> 8. Pork Braised in Milk[*]
> 9. Ma-La (Spicy & Numbing) Beef with Vegetables and Noodles
> 10. Vindaloo
>
> Bob

Hmmmm. This is a tough choice. Most of these I don't cook frequently at
all, but I love them. In no particular order:

Veal piccata
Sauteed sea scallops
Braised lamb shanks
Grilled or broiled lamb loin chops
Roasted Cornish game hens
Beef stroganoff
Pork tenderloin
Grilled or broiled porterhouse steak (rare)
Grilled or broiled flank steak (rare)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my FAVORITES.
> And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you ask me again
> a week from now, at least five of them will probably be different. So what
> are YOUR top ten favorite meals?

Let's see:

1. NY strip Pittsburgh style w/ spinach salad and a good cabernet
2. Hamburgers seasoned with Worcestershire sauce, mustard and salt
3. Pan fried pork tenderloin with stir fried spinach and garlic
4. Braised pork tenderloin with its vegetables
5. Allen Bros. baby backs
6. Wild salmon fillet en papillotte with green beans
7. Smoked salmon with eggs either scrambled or over easy
8. Oysters on the 1/2 shell (no accompaniments) followed by pan seared
foie gras - with whatever sauce the chef offers as I'm not making this
one myself
9. Gratin Dauphinois followed by a green salad, but, sigh, I'm not
really allowed this one.
10. Rack of lamb

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:12:37 -0700, aem wrote:

> I was surprised how fast this list went together. No doubt, as you
> say, it would be different next week. In no particular order:
> -aem
>
> 1. Beef with mushrooms, peapods, and oyster sauce. Stirfry.
> 2. Shrimp with chili-garlic paste. Stirfry.
> 3. Red-cooked chicken ("loo"), thighs or drumsticks or wings. Picnic
> fare.
> 4. Sichuan eggplant in fish sauce (means spicy sauce for fish, not
> made of fish).
> 5. Rabo encendido--Cuban-style braised oxtails.
> 6. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob. -- It's the
> gravy that makes it.
> 7. Coq au vin, prepared as Julia taught.
> 8. Charcoal grilled steak. Usually New York strip. I make do with a
> gas grill and wood chips. Twice-baked potato, or French fries.
> Creamed spinach or spinach salad.
> 9. King or silver salmon, grilled, basted with mixture of maple syrup
> and soy sauce. Pilaf.
> 10. Spaghetti with homemade "Italian gravy". Pork shoulder/butt in
> long-cooked tomato sauce.
>
> Honorable mention: pork spareribs, marinated overnight in standard
> Chinese sauce--soy, rice wine, ginger, garlic, dried red chiles,
> pre-cooked in oven at 225°F until near done, then finished on grill
> with smoke, basted with soy sauce and melted butter.

Great list! I love oxtails.. aka.. swinging tenderloin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julian wrote:

> Cambodian sweet and sour catfish soup
> Paella (or its Cajun cousin, Jambalaya)
> Cheese enchiladas (in New Mexico style red chile sauce)

This is funny! I keep seeing items that I whittled off my original list to
pare it down to ten items! (My catfish soup was Thai rather than Cambodian,
though, and then I changed it to a seafood stew instead.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my FAVORITES.
> Bob

Are these your favorites to cook or to eat?
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-20-2006 with our visit
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in
:

> I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my
> FAVORITES. And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If
> you ask me again a week from now, at least five of them will probably
> be different. So what are YOUR top ten favorite meals?
>
> 1. Roast Chicken (so versatile!)
> 2. Barbecued Pork Ribs with the typical barbecue fixin's
> 3. Seared Scallops with Habañero-Mango Salsa
> 4. Pastitsio[*]
> 5. Beef Sukiyaki[*]
> 6. Singapore Chili Crab
> 7. Pho
> 8. Pork Braised in Milk[*]
> 9. Ma-La (Spicy & Numbing) Beef with Vegetables and Noodles
> 10. Vindaloo
>
>[*] Will change when summer hits
>

> Bob

Spaghetti and meatballs with pesto or marina, garlic bread, with white wine (pesto'd) or red wine
(marina'd).

London broil (medium-rare) with baked potato with sour cream, tossed salad w/Ken's Caesar salad
dressing, with red wine.

Pepperoni and sausage pizza sprinkled with crushed red pepper, garlic powder and oregano, with
beer.

Thai chicken satay with peanut dipping sauce and saffron rice with white wine.

Pot roast accompanied with diced cooked carrots, onions and potatoes, with beer. Leftover pot
roast shredded and reheated with gobs of Hunts Hickory & Brown Sugar BBQ sause on buns for
breakfast, with OJ.

Dual jumbo sirloin avocado cheeseburgers (monterey jack) with dijon mustard and diced or whole
green chilies on toasted english muffins, with beer.

Chicken and beef tacos with all the fixin's and Cholula hot sauce, with beer

Tuna avocado mac 'n' cheese with cayenne pepper (liberally applied).

Grilled hot dogs with French's mustard on a bun with side of baked beans, with beer.

7-egg avocado and cheese omelette topped with parmesan and tabasco, with white wine.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 Apr 2006 21:44:12 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:
> [..] So what are YOUR top ten favorite meals?

[snip Bob's list]

10) Beef stew with fresh bread
9) Ernesto's Chile Verde
8) Pork stew with fresh bread
7) Garlic chicken with roasted new potatoes
6) Catch-all Salad
5) Spaghetti with meat sauce & green salad
4) Roasted bone-in rib-eye, sautéed green beans
3) Slow-roasted, dry-rubbed beef ribs
2) Smoked salmon, salami and sausage platter
1) Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, biscuits and gravy

The Ranger
--
"No one likes a smartass, especially another smartass, unless they
have their own TV show, then they're a comic genius." -- Steve Allen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

This is a rough list, not in any spewcific order:

Shrimp fajitas with guacamole, grilled onions & peppers, sour cream,
tomatoes; rice or hominy and beans on the side, and southwestern ceasar
salad

Quiche, veggies and cheese vary by mood but we like asparagus,
mushrooms, broccoli especially

Pasta with pesto or oven roasted veggies

Baked potaotes with cheese sauce and steamed broccoli or with
portobello mushrooms and bluie cheese; sauteed mushrooms; creamed
spinach; and fruit or salad

Mu-shu veggies, fried rice, marinated baked tofu, and edamame

(winter) potato-veggie-cheese soup or tomato soup

white beans with sage, cornbread, and waldorf salad

These are the dishes I cook most often because everyone loves to eat
them so they're in heavy rotation. Also they're dishes I could probably
make in my sleep!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my FAVORITES.
> And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you ask me again
> a week from now, at least five of them will probably be different. So what
> are YOUR top ten favorite meals?
>
> 1. Roast Chicken (so versatile!)
> 2. Barbecued Pork Ribs with the typical barbecue fixin's
> 3. Seared Scallops with Habañero-Mango Salsa
> 4. Pastitsio[*]
> 5. Beef Sukiyaki[*]
> 6. Singapore Chili Crab
> 7. Pho
> 8. Pork Braised in Milk[*]
> 9. Ma-La (Spicy & Numbing) Beef with Vegetables and Noodles
> 10. Vindaloo
>
>[*] Will change when summer hits
>

> Bob

Well, here goes.. not in any particular order

Green chicken curry (DH loves this - I just think its okay)
Prawns (shrimp) - done in the shell on the grill or "skottle"
Sole - pan-fried in butter with salad or veggies
Roast chicken and veggies
Beef Wellington
Rainbow trout - we usually bake this
Stir-fries (chicken or beef or whatever we are in the mood for)
Musaman beef curry
Stuffed mushroom caps - very versatile - you can put in whatever you
fancy at the time
Mussels - done in spicy sauce or cream and garlic..

Like you said, there are many more meals we like and it depends on the
season; also I haven't included our "braais". But that is summer stuff
and we are going into winter now. We also like most fish....

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Umbrian wrote:
> 10. Risotto-- almost any kind without squid or other 8 legged
> creatures.

Um, squid don't have legs, they have testicles, and squid have 10.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> Beef Wellington

You make Beef Wellington? Wow! Can I please come to dinner?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Umbrian wrote:
> > 10. Risotto-- almost any kind without squid or other 8 legged
> > creatures.

> Um, squid don't have legs, they have testicles, and squid have 10.
>
> Sheldon

Testicles, testicles? Don't you mean tentacles?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> So what are YOUR top ten favorite meals?

1. Meat loaf w'mashed

2. Pot roast w/kasha

3. Bean soup w/ham hocks

4. Fresh ham w/butternut squash and greens

5. Fried potatoes and eggs

6. smoked sausage w/kraut

7. Roast beef w/baked

8. Hormel Dilusso Genoa hero

9. roast chicken w/corn

10. spare ribs

1 to 11 Chef's Salad

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:

> Chatty Cathy wrote:
>

>> Beef Wellington

> You make Beef Wellington? Wow! Can I please come to dinner?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Sheldon wrote:
>> Umbrian wrote:
>> > 10. Risotto-- almost any kind without squid or other 8 legged
>> > creatures.

>> Um, squid don't have legs, they have testicles, and squid have 10.
>>
>> Sheldon

> Testicles, testicles? Don't you mean tentacles?

ROFLMAO

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my
>FAVORITES. And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you
>ask me again a week from now, at least five of them will probably be
>different. So what are YOUR top ten favorite meals?
>

> Bob

Our most favorite meals are in no particular order of course

1 pot roast
2 spaghetti with salad and bread
3 Golden Mushroom pork chops
4 fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, biscuits and corn
5 meatloaf with scalloped potatoes and green beans
6 country style pork ribs grilled with grilled corn on the cob
7 steak, either grilled or broiled
8 chile and cinnamon rolls
9 stew with blueberry muffins
10 ham and beans with corn bread

There are several of those that we don't eat in the summer and a couple we
don't eat in the winter. During the summer we tend to eat more grilled
foods with just a salad. Since I don't eat potatoes much anymore that also
has a big effect on which meals we eat.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my FAVORITES.
> And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you ask me again
> a week from now, at least five of them will probably be different. So what
> are YOUR top ten favorite meals?

In no particular order, more than 10:

Roast chicken
Marinated grilled flank steak
Spaghetti with meatballs and Carmine's deli sausage
Lasagna
Roasted beef tenderloin a la Cook's Illustrated
Portuguese cosido--chicken, shrimp and rice stew
spareribs
hot-pepper chicken (General Tso's variant)
pepper steak
pot roast made with red wine
chicken piccata
pasta with garlic-butter shrimp

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 16:32:36 GMT, Puester >
wrote:
>Portuguese cosido--chicken, shrimp and rice stew

Ooooohhhhh.... Got recipe?

The Ranger
--
"All Scottish cooking is based on a dare"
Mike Meyers

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Apr 2006 08:38:23 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Umbrian wrote:
>> 10. Risotto-- almost any kind without squid or other 8 legged
>> creatures.

>Um, squid don't have legs, they have testicles, and squid have 10.

I can't help myself... rotlmao here! Is that what you call
'well-hung'????
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my

FAVORITES.
> And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you ask me

again
> a week from now, at least five of them will probably be different. So

what
> are YOUR top ten favorite meals?
>
> 1. Roast Chicken (so versatile!)
> 2. Barbecued Pork Ribs with the typical barbecue fixin's
> 3. Seared Scallops with Habañero-Mango Salsa
> 4. Pastitsio[*]
> 5. Beef Sukiyaki[*]
> 6. Singapore Chili Crab
> 7. Pho
> 8. Pork Braised in Milk[*]
> 9. Ma-La (Spicy & Numbing) Beef with Vegetables and Noodles
> 10. Vindaloo
>
>[*] Will change when summer hits

These are also the dishes I make the most for any gatherings that include
more than my SO and I (and very frequently when others aren't around).

Pasta Bolognese I make the sauce in large batches and freeze. Its got more
tomato than an authentic Bolognese but the meats include, pancetta,
prosciutto, sausage and ground beef. It gets a good half bottle of wine,
about two cups home made brodo, 2 cups half & half or whole milk plus the
usual sweated vegetables and a long, long simmer.

Anything schnitzelly aka pounded, breaded and fried. These include veal,
chicken, skate served with browned butter, capers and lemon.

Tortellini/agnolotti (homemade) in brodo or served with Bolognese or Pesto

Tuna carpaccio/tartare

Braised lanb, veal or beef shanks with olivers, capers and gremolata

Mussels with spicy curry and coconut milk

A plum wine chicken dish with a dressing/sauce made from pickled ginger
juice and mustard from the China Moon Cookbook. It requires all these
infused oils and homemade pickled ginger and it's a pain to make all of the
components the first time but once you have them around it's a snap. I
make it as a salad in the heat of the summer but serve over steamed rice the
rest of the year.

Thomas Keller's herb and cheese (pate choux) gnocchi served simply with a
brown butter and lemon or white wine or fancied up with a variety of
vegetables and wild mushrooms. My pastry bag was a forgotten item until I
discovered these darlings.

Spanakopita

Rack of lamb.

Kate

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 Apr 2006 21:44:12 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my FAVORITES.
>And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you ask me again
>a week from now, at least five of them will probably be different. So what
>are YOUR top ten favorite meals?
>
>1. Roast Chicken (so versatile!)
>2. Barbecued Pork Ribs with the typical barbecue fixin's
>3. Seared Scallops with Habañero-Mango Salsa
>4. Pastitsio[*]
>5. Beef Sukiyaki[*]
>6. Singapore Chili Crab
>7. Pho
>8. Pork Braised in Milk[*]
>9. Ma-La (Spicy & Numbing) Beef with Vegetables and Noodles
>10. Vindaloo
>
>[*] Will change when summer hits

Thinking about this question has made me realise just how limited my
repertoire has become since I got married. My husband doesn't know the
first thing about cooking and he doesn't much like vegetables and he
HATES curries or exotic spices... I've turned into a very boring cook
trying to make things that he likes

If you asked DH his favourite meals would be something like:
1. pepperoni pizza (bought not homemade)
2. nachos
3. Plain burger with raw onion and cheese, grilled rare (either bought
or homemade) and a loaded baked potato
4. spicy chilli
5. BBQ pork
6. grilled chicken with green beans or broccoli with italian dressing
7. cheese enchilada (he orders this EVERY SINGLE TIME we go for
Mexican)
8. roast chicken and homemade potato wedges
9. Homemade fried rice
10. grilled pork chop with rice

My favourites include:
1.lasagna
2.homemade pizza with lots of vegetables and not a lot of cheese
3.macaroni cheese with bacon or ham and vegetables cooked into it
4.roast chicken and roast veggies
5.very mild chilli, preferably with vegetables
6.chicken pasta (either a carbonara made with chicken and sweetcorn,
or chicken cacciatore)
7. slow-cooked BBQ pork and rice
8.meatloaf or rissoles with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables
9.aromatic green chicken curry with coconut milk
10.baked fish in white wine

As you can probably tell, he likes food plainer than me and he thinks
a 'vegetable' is another word for a plate decoration...

As a compromise we eat a lot of chicken and a lot of baked potatoes,
with a frozen vegetable to accompany them, usually tossed in italian
dressing. I dish the plates a bit differently to try and make us both
happy. He has 35% meat, 35% starch, 30% veggies... and I have 50%
veggies, 25% starch, 25% meat.

Dishes I actually make would be:

nachos
chilli
burgers (he has a bun and little salad, and I usually have more salad
and a slice of bread)
roast chicken or roast meatloaf and potato wedges
grilled chicken
slow-cooked bbq pork
homemade fried rice with lots of 'stuff' in it.
chicken cacciatore
grilled chicken and veggies
grilled pork chops and veggies
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:49:19 GMT, Peter A >
wrote:

>Interesting - but I think that a list of what you cook most often would
>be more informative. It would show what you really like not only for
>taste but in terms of ingredient cost and availability and preparation
>effort. I'm not sure I can come up with a "top 10" but the list would
>certainly include:
>
>Grilled or broiled lamb chops
>Ma po dofu
>Pasta Norma (with eggplant and tomato sauce, in the summer only)

Yum. What I cook most often:

1. Spaghetti with tomato sauce
2. Beans and rice
3. Soup (bean or lentil or split pea, usually)
4. Curry and rice
5. Seitan (stir-fried or baked with some kind of sauce)
6. Tacos or burritos with TVP and/or beans
7. Yaki soba or udon with seitan and veggies

I guess those are our normal rotation.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my FAVORITES.
> And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you ask me again
> a week from now, at least five of them will probably be different. So what
> are YOUR top ten favorite meals?
>
> 1. Roast Chicken (so versatile!)
> 2. Barbecued Pork Ribs with the typical barbecue fixin's
> 3. Seared Scallops with Habañero-Mango Salsa
> 4. Pastitsio[*]
> 5. Beef Sukiyaki[*]
> 6. Singapore Chili Crab
> 7. Pho
> 8. Pork Braised in Milk[*]
> 9. Ma-La (Spicy & Numbing) Beef with Vegetables and Noodles
> 10. Vindaloo
>
>[*] Will change when summer hits

Our cooking is seasonal. It's not quite patio grilling weather here, but any
day now we will be switching to outdoor cooking mode and I will be using the gas
grill almost every night to BBQ salmon, shrimp, marinated chicken breasts, dry
rubbed pork chops, burgers etc.

During the winter we switch to indoor cooking mode. We like having a roasted
chicken on Sundays, and that gives us cold chicken for Monday. We do a lot of
stir fries, and at least once a week it is a braised dish, usually beef stew.
Some Sundays we do a leg of lamb instead of the chicken and then I make a curry
with the left overs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my
>FAVORITES. And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you
>ask me again a week from now, at least five of them will probably be
>different. So what are YOUR top ten favorite meals?

Soup. Never a recipe. Often the starting point is leftovers from other meals
Meatloaf
Pasta with tomato-meat or marinara or fresh tomato sauce. Or Lasagna.
Chicken - outdoor rotisserie in summer, a variety of ways in cold weather.
Roast beef. Italian beef sandwiches after.
Cuban sandwiches
Gyros or some other lamb dish
Sausages and/or burgers on the grill in summer.
Oxtails in tomato sauce
Stuffed cabbage

Just what I'm thinking about right now.
Favorite to cook and favorite to eat are probably different too, if I
thought much about it.

What I make most of these are probably the soup in the fall and winter, and
pasta dishes, when I'm in that mood. With meat, I think about what we had
last and the time before, and try to go with something else. I've always got
lamb on hand because I buy a whole one every year. The rest of it depends on
what's on sale and what I've stocked up on before.

Oddly enough the last few things I made -- corned beef and turkey -- aren't
on the list. Possibly because I just had them and I'm not thinking about
having either one really soon. Then again, I just had a bowl of soup, and
that's #1 on the list. I love cooking soup when it's cold outside.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my FAVORITES.
> And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you ask me again
> a week from now, at least five of them will probably be different. So what
> are YOUR top ten favorite meals?

Tofu, black beans and rice with mole sauce

kale and white bean stew

risotto

seitan gyros

rack of lamb

stuffed aggplant

pumpkin gnocchi

sesame crusted tofu stir fry

chick pea curry

miso/udon soup

these are my favorites. relaxing to make, good to eat.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:11:19 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote:

>Tofu, black beans and rice with mole sauce

>seitan gyros

>stuffed aggplant
>
>pumpkin gnocchi

Recipes, please?

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my
>> FAVORITES. And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If
>> you ask me again a week from now, at least five of them will probably
>> be different. So what are YOUR top ten favorite meals?
>>

> In no particular order, more than 10:
>
> Roast chicken
> Marinated grilled flank steak
> Spaghetti with meatballs and Carmine's deli sausage
> Lasagna
> Roasted beef tenderloin a la Cook's Illustrated
> Portuguese cosido--chicken, shrimp and rice stew
> spareribs
> hot-pepper chicken (General Tso's variant)
> pepper steak
> pot roast made with red wine
> chicken piccata
> pasta with garlic-butter shrimp
>
> gloria p

Oops, how could I forget chili?

gp
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default For Ranger (Recipe) Top 10 Home-Cooked Meals

The Ranger wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 16:32:36 GMT, Puester >
> wrote:
>> Portuguese cosido--chicken, shrimp and rice stew

> Ooooohhhhh.... Got recipe?
>
> The Ranger
> --

There's no real recipe.

Chopped chicken (breast or thigh meat) browned lightly with onion,
garlic, celery and green pepper, them simmered with chopped tomatoes
(canned is fine) and chicken stock/broth and raw rice. Add whatever
spices you like--I frequently use curry powder or a bit of cayenne or a
little oregano, marjoram, or even tarragon. Add more broth, stock or
water as needed. I've had the original both soupy or dry, depends on
whose grandma is making it.

When the rice is nearly done, add shrimp and (optional) some small
chunks of ham or small clams or mussels.

Serve with crusty bread and a salad.

gloria p