Top 10 Home-Cooked Meals

Old 24-04-2006, 03:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Top 10 Home-Cooked Meals

I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my FAVORITES.
And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you ask me again
a week from now, at least five of them will probably be different. So what
are YOUR top ten favorite meals?

1. Roast Chicken (so versatile!)
2. Barbecued Pork Ribs with the typical barbecue fixin's
3. Seared Scallops with Habañero-Mango Salsa
4. Pastitsio[*]
5. Beef Sukiyaki[*]
6. Singapore Chili Crab
7. Pho
8. Pork Braised in Milk[*]
9. Ma-La (Spicy & Numbing) Beef with Vegetables and Noodles
10. Vindaloo
[*] Will change when summer hits

Bob

Old 24-04-2006, 03:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Interesting choices, Bob--they look delicious. I notice that 6 of the
10 are Asian dishes.

Cheers, Nancree

Old 24-04-2006, 04:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my FAVORITES.
And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you ask me again
a week from now, at least five of them will probably be different. So what
are YOUR top ten favorite meals? [snips]

I was surprised how fast this list went together. No doubt, as you
say, it would be different next week. In no particular order:
-aem

1. Beef with mushrooms, peapods, and oyster sauce. Stirfry.
2. Shrimp with chili-garlic paste. Stirfry.
3. Red-cooked chicken ("loo"), thighs or drumsticks or wings. Picnic
fare.
4. Sichuan eggplant in fish sauce (means spicy sauce for fish, not
made of fish).
5. Rabo encendido--Cuban-style braised oxtails.
6. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob. -- It's the
gravy that makes it.
7. Coq au vin, prepared as Julia taught.
8. Charcoal grilled steak. Usually New York strip. I make do with a
gas grill and wood chips. Twice-baked potato, or French fries.
Creamed spinach or spinach salad.
9. King or silver salmon, grilled, basted with mixture of maple syrup
and soy sauce. Pilaf.
10. Spaghetti with homemade "Italian gravy". Pork shoulder/butt in
long-cooked tomato sauce.

Honorable mention: pork spareribs, marinated overnight in standard
Chinese sauce--soy, rice wine, ginger, garlic, dried red chiles,
pre-cooked in oven at 225°F until near done, then finished on grill
with smoke, basted with soy sauce and melted butter.

Old 24-04-2006, 04:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 Apr 2006 21:44:12 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
wrote:

I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my FAVORITES.
And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you ask me again
a week from now, at least five of them will probably be different. So what
are YOUR top ten favorite meals?

Hmm. Favorites, as opposed to most frequent. Gotcha. These aren't in
any kind of order, just as they occurred to me.

1. Chicken and dumplings
2. Spaghetti with tomato sauce
3. Roasted root veggies
4. Tacos
5. Split pea soup
6. Falafel and baba ganouj
7. Quiche
8. Yakisoba
9. Slow-cooked pork
10. Roasted chicken

serene
Old 24-04-2006, 04:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancree wrote:

Interesting choices, Bob--they look delicious. I notice that 6 of the
10 are Asian dishes.

Huh? I only counted five, and they come from five different cuisines.

Beef Sukiyaki is Japanese
Singapore Chili Crab is Nonya (I suppose)
Pho is Vietnamese
Ma-La (Spicy & Numbing) Beef with Vegetables and Noodles is Szechuan
Vindaloo is Goan (Indian)

The remaining ones are

Roast Chicken
Barbecued Pork Ribs
Seared Scallops with Habañero-Mango Salsa
Pastitsio
Pork Braised in Milk

Which one of those did you think was Asian?

[As a side note, doesn't Asia -- including the Indian subcontinent --
account for at least sixty percent of the world's population?]

Bob

Old 24-04-2006, 04:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

7. Coq au vin, prepared as Julia taught.

10. Spaghetti with homemade "Italian gravy". Pork shoulder/butt in
long-cooked tomato sauce.

Funny you should mention those. Both of those were on my original list of
favorites, but got taken off when I pared the list down to ten entries. The
coq au vin was temporarily supplanted by liver with bacon, onions, stewed
figs, and a red-wine jus, but that eventually got taken off too.

Bob

Old 24-04-2006, 05:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Here's mine - right from scratch:

1. TV Dinner Surprise
2. Gormet Banquet Chicken
3. Michelani frozon meals (Mama's style)
4. Deep fried chicken (with just the right amount of shortening)
5. Baked Pork Chops (non-butterflied), seasoned with Kraft
House Italian Dressing and garlic salt
6. Beef Taco's (Elpaso Style)
7. Shrimp Scampi (now this one I actually do make from scratch -
well, haven't found a way to make the shrimp from scratch yet)
8. Chef salad with exquisite extras within and albacore tuna on the side
9. Mr. P's peperoni pizza

And lastly ..... get ready!

10. All American, specialty ordered Campbels Chicken Noodle Soup

Now, please! Hold your applause! If you're really nice, I'll post my
invaluable recipes to the above dishes at no charge.

Bill

Old 24-04-2006, 05:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 04:06:05 GMT, Bill-NWG wrote:

Now, please! Hold your applause! If you're really nice, I'll post my
invaluable recipes to the above dishes at no charge.

Bill

I like you... stick around rrfc, you're a real hoot.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Old 24-04-2006, 07:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my FAVORITES.
And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you ask me again
a week from now, at least five of them will probably be different. So what
are YOUR top ten favorite meals?

1. Roast Chicken (so versatile!)
2. Barbecued Pork Ribs with the typical barbecue fixin's
3. Seared Scallops with Habañero-Mango Salsa
4. Pastitsio[*]

have you ever posted your recipe for this? I would love to have it!

My top 10 entrees a

Chicken pot-roast (cooked under cover with carrots, onions and
potatoes)
Turkey Meatloaf
Turkey Burgers with fries
Roast whole turkey
baked fresh Ham
Chicken quesadillas or chicken burritos
Shrimp and pasta and veggies
Pasta with meat/veggie sauce
Chili with or without dogs and cheese
Pizza (the infamous "I made a pizza")
lasagne

Ok, that's 11.

-L.

Old 24-04-2006, 08:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in news:444c3b14$0
:

So what are YOUR top ten favorite meals?

#1 Cast Iron Pan Fried Chicken (Doesn't taste as good if not CI)
#2 Lasagna
#3 Hamburgers ala "What Einstien Told his Cook" (Thin layer of Kosher Salt
in a cast iron pan, no seasoning to the beef)
#4 Spaghetti & Meat Sauce
#5 Pizza
#6 Chili Cheese Noodles
#7 Herb Roasted Chicken
#8 Pot Roast
#9 Krystal's, White Castles or Denny's similar burger
#10 Sausage, Eggs & Cheese (Often in the form of a Fritata)
Old 24-04-2006, 09:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob's list has some overlap with mine. In no particular order:

Duck a l'Orange
Smoked ribs with homemade BBQ sauce
Just about any kind of fish with mango-habanero salso
Singapore Chili Crab
Cambodian sweet and sour catfish soup
Grilled NY strip steak (leftovers used for Thai beef salad)
Spaghetti Puttanesca
Paella (or its Cajun cousin, Jambalaya)
Cheese enchiladas (in New Mexico style red chile sauce)
Steamed shrimp (Chesapeake Bay style)

--
Julian Vrieslander
Old 24-04-2006, 10:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my
FAVORITES. And the list is only good for the way I feel right now.
If you ask me again a week from now, at least five of them will
probably be different. So what are YOUR top ten favorite meals?

1. Roast Chicken (so versatile!)
2. Barbecued Pork Ribs with the typical barbecue fixin's
3. Seared Scallops with Habañero-Mango Salsa
4. Pastitsio[*]
5. Beef Sukiyaki[*]
6. Singapore Chili Crab
7. Pho
8. Pork Braised in Milk[*]
9. Ma-La (Spicy & Numbing) Beef with Vegetables and Noodles
10. Vindaloo

Bob

Hmmmm. This is a tough choice. Most of these I don't cook frequently at
all, but I love them. In no particular order:

Veal piccata
Sauteed sea scallops
Braised lamb shanks
Grilled or broiled lamb loin chops
Roasted Cornish game hens
Beef stroganoff
Pork tenderloin
Grilled or broiled porterhouse steak (rare)
Grilled or broiled flank steak (rare)

Jill

Old 24-04-2006, 11:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
I note that these aren't the most FREQUENT things I cook, just my FAVORITES.
And the list is only good for the way I feel right now. If you ask me again
a week from now, at least five of them will probably be different. So what
are YOUR top ten favorite meals?

Let's see:

1. NY strip Pittsburgh style w/ spinach salad and a good cabernet
2. Hamburgers seasoned with Worcestershire sauce, mustard and salt
3. Pan fried pork tenderloin with stir fried spinach and garlic
4. Braised pork tenderloin with its vegetables
5. Allen Bros. baby backs
6. Wild salmon fillet en papillotte with green beans
7. Smoked salmon with eggs either scrambled or over easy
8. Oysters on the 1/2 shell (no accompaniments) followed by pan seared
foie gras - with whatever sauce the chef offers as I'm not making this
one myself
9. Gratin Dauphinois followed by a green salad, but, sigh, I'm not
really allowed this one.
10. Rack of lamb

Old 24-04-2006, 12:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
jay

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:12:37 -0700, aem wrote:

[...]

Great list! I love oxtails.. aka.. swinging tenderloin.

Old 24-04-2006, 12:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julian wrote:

Cambodian sweet and sour catfish soup
Paella (or its Cajun cousin, Jambalaya)
Cheese enchiladas (in New Mexico style red chile sauce)

This is funny! I keep seeing items that I whittled off my original list to
pare it down to ten items! (My catfish soup was Thai rather than Cambodian,
though, and then I changed it to a seafood stew instead.)

Bob

Best way to freeze meals? [email protected] General Cooking 41 01-04-2006 06:42 PM
Back home from vacation in Scotland/Ireland - oh, the food.... Bronwyn General Cooking 34 10-11-2005 08:16 AM
Recipe Trade Jess General Cooking 9 11-09-2005 07:58 PM
New "Home Made" retail outlet in California Leila General Cooking 21 31-08-2005 10:53 AM
Rec Food Cooking Old Folks Home jmcquown General Cooking 95 04-08-2005 07:50 PM