Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

Default Top 10 Home-Cooked Meals

I have been lookgin at this thread again and again, wondering what my top 10
is.

Then I realized I siply don't have a top 10. I have 2 types of food that I
cook on a regular basis: stews and thick sauces. They are regulars because I
like to freeze meals.

Stews are usuallty beef + onions + tomatoes. I usually serve them with
boiled, skin-on potatoes, sometimes with mash (which may include veg) or
spaetzle.

Other stews are Middle Eastern in style, using poultry or fish or chick
peas, (preserved) lemons, olives, pumpkins, sometimes tomatoes, green veg,
etc. Those are served with rice or quinoa.

Thicks sauces are variations on tomato sauce for pasta, and Asian curry-type
sauces for rice. The Asian sauces often include chicken breasts and
sometimes pork. I am still learning in that department. Want to get the hang
of more vegetarian, Indian curries.

A third regular is chili (also freezable).

I rarely cook by a recipe, so my list a kind of unspcific. I hardly ever try
to recreate a previous version of a stew/sauce/chili. (I do read recipes
almost daily. Excellent for inspiration and for relaxing before going to
sleep)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Julian Vrieslander > wrote:

> Bob's list has some overlap with mine. In no particular order:
>
> Duck a l'Orange
> Smoked ribs with homemade BBQ sauce
> Just about any kind of fish with mango-habanero salso
> Singapore Chili Crab
> Cambodian sweet and sour catfish soup
> Grilled NY strip steak (leftovers used for Thai beef salad)
> Spaghetti Puttanesca
> Paella (or its Cajun cousin, Jambalaya)
> Cheese enchiladas (in New Mexico style red chile sauce)
> Steamed shrimp (Chesapeake Bay style)

I'll second the chili crab, steamed shrimp, and catfish soup. But there
are other greatest hits in our repertoire that you forgot:

Cuban black beans
Thai red curry
Lemongrass chicken wings
Spiedies
Planked or grilled salmon
Jerk chicken
Mussels

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC Pork Loin Braised in Milk

Food Snob wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > Heather wrote:
> >
> > > I had pork braised in milk twice. Once it was absolutely sublime, the
> > > other time it was too salty, both times from the same place. what is your
> > > recipe? I won't have the opportunity to eat it often, but i want to make
> > > it.

> > Pork Loin Braised in Milk
> > from _The Classic Italian Cookbook_ by Marcella Hazan
> >
> > 2 tablespoons butter
> > 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
> > 2 pounds pork loin in one piece, with some fat on it, securely tied
> > 1 teaspoon salt
> > Freshly ground black pepper
> > 2 1/2 cups milk

> That always makes me think of:
>
> Exodus 23:19 The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring
> into the house of the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his
> mother's milk.
>
> Exodus 34:26 The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring
> unto the house of the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his
> mother's milk.
>
> Deuteronomy 14:21 Ye shall not eat of any thing that dieth of itself:
> thou shalt give it unto the stranger that is in thy gates, that he may
> eat it; or thou mayest sell it unto an alien: for thou art an holy
> people unto the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his
> mother's milk.
>
> I guess that wouldn't apply to pig cooked in cow's milk.
> >
> > Bob

> --Bryan

That's right. if it ain't kosher, you can be as weird as you like with
food.

maxine in ri