Best Beef cut for Burger

Old 22-04-2006, 03:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best Beef cut for Burger

What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
freshness and flavour etc.

Old 22-04-2006, 03:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
jay

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 07:05:33 -0700, Jimmy wrote:

What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
freshness and flavour etc.

I think chuck has great flavor and is priced nicely. Works great for
chili also. Definately grind your own.
Old 22-04-2006, 04:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jimmy" wrote in news:1145714733.934617.150630
@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
freshness and flavour etc.

Chuck, shoulder or front rib are good cuts to grind. Also if you have the
bucks, rib-eye makes a very tasty burger too!

Andy
Old 22-04-2006, 08:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

On 22 Apr 2006 07:05:33 -0700, Jimmy wrote:

What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
freshness and flavour etc.

Ribeye, of course.

-sw

Waste of ribeye...

If you have to grind ribeye to eat it, you need a new set of dentures. ;-)

Old 22-04-2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmiOmelet wrote:
Steve Wertz wrote:

On 22 Apr 2006 07:05:33 -0700, Jimmy wrote:

What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
freshness and flavour etc.

Ribeye, of course.

-sw

Waste of ribeye...

If you have to grind ribeye to eat it, you need a new set of dentures. ;-)

Besides being too tender (makes mushy burgers) ribeye is the most
mildly flavored beef cut... it's the choice of those who really don't
like the flavor of beef... the same folks who typically only eat the
breast portion of fowl.... the better portion for burgers is the meat
that's trimmed away to make the ribeye. But better is a mix of chuck
and top round... sirloin is good too.

Sheldon

Old 22-04-2006, 09:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

On 22 Apr 2006 07:05:33 -0700, Jimmy wrote:

What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
freshness and flavour etc.

Ribeye, of course.

Waste of ribeye...

Not at all.

If you have to grind ribeye to eat it, you need a new set of dentures. ;-)

The OP asked what cut made the best hamburger. Ribeye is the
most appropriate answer. It also makes the best chicken fried
steak.

-sw

Geez Steve!

That's like serving caviar with chicharones!

Chuck roast makes perfectly good and flavorful ground beef, AND CF steak.

Seriously, if you are going to grind your own, I dare you to try a
brisket sometime. It's fabulous that way.

Old 22-04-2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

OmManiPadmiOmelet wrote:

Steve Wertz wrote:

On 22 Apr 2006 07:05:33 -0700, Jimmy wrote:

What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
freshness and flavour etc.

Ribeye, of course.

-sw

Waste of ribeye...

If you have to grind ribeye to eat it, you need a new set of dentures. ;-)

Besides being too tender (makes mushy burgers) ribeye is the most
mildly flavored beef cut... it's the choice of those who really don't
like the flavor of beef... the same folks who typically only eat the
breast portion of fowl.... the better portion for burgers is the meat
that's trimmed away to make the ribeye. But better is a mix of chuck
and top round... sirloin is good too.

Sheldon

Sirloin or chuck would be my personal choice.

I prefer top round cubed and served raw. ;-d

And I'm not kidding......... I's great for the serum iron levels. G

Old 22-04-2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
jay

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 15:58:20 -0500, Steve Wertz wrote:

On 22 Apr 2006 13:42:07 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

OmManiPadmiOmelet wrote:
Steve Wertz wrote:

On 22 Apr 2006 07:05:33 -0700, Jimmy wrote:

What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
freshness and flavour etc.

Ribeye, of course.

-sw

Waste of ribeye...

If you have to grind ribeye to eat it, you need a new set of dentures. ;-)

Besides being too tender (makes mushy burgers) ribeye is the most
mildly flavored beef cut... it's the choice of those who really don't
like the flavor of beef...

We've heard your ribeye spiel before, and you're just as much
full of shit back then as you are now.

-sw

Ribeye is no doubt a very "soft to the bite" cut. That is why I always
order or buy NY Strip choice or prime. I don't like the "softness" of the
ribeye as well as the more "al dente" (for lack of a better discription)
NY strip.

To me the flavor of the ribeye is not a "hearty" as the NY Strip or chuck
for that matter. If you want to just be fashionable in an obscene sorta
way grind some tenderloin.

Old 22-04-2006, 10:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
OmManiPadmiOmelet wrote:
Steve Wertz wrote:

On 22 Apr 2006 07:05:33 -0700, Jimmy wrote:

What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
freshness and flavour etc.

Ribeye, of course.

-sw

Waste of ribeye...

If you have to grind ribeye to eat it, you need a new set of dentures. ;-)

Besides being too tender (makes mushy burgers) ribeye is the most
mildly flavored beef cut... it's the choice of those who really don't
like the flavor of beef... the same folks who typically only eat the
breast portion of fowl....

I'm not crazy about the flavor of ribeye either, nor any other cut from
the front of the cow.

the better portion for burgers is the meat
that's trimmed away to make the ribeye. But better is a mix of chuck
and top round... sirloin is good too.

Sheldon

--Bryan

Old 22-04-2006, 10:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
jay

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:01:10 +0000, Peter A wrote:

In article ,
It's a step on the way to the morons who
grind wagyu (aka Kobe) beef for burgers.

Wagyu has as many grindables as angus or most any cattle. In fact the
local wagyu guy packages and markets ground wagyu. However, he is not
grinding the rib eye and it is priced accordingly which does equals MORE
than chuck. I have eaten it and chuck is just as just as good.

recipes 2 Mike \Piedmont\ Barbecue 0 25-09-2005 07:43 AM
Rick Etter is right! That One Guy Vegan 81 21-12-2004 04:47 PM
Michigan Firm Recalls Ground Beef Products For Possible E. coli O157:H7 Duckie Recipes 0 25-06-2004 12:03 AM
Orange Beef ----------Nick Z Duckie Recipes 0 20-05-2004 10:23 PM