Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Scrambled eggs with mayo?

I was recently looking at posts in another group and came across a food
blog in which the writer described and photographed making the best
scrambled eggs ever - with mayo. I had never heard of such a thing, and
I been reading this group for over a year, and I`ve seen more then a
couple scrambled eggs threads and I can`t ever recall anyone ever
putting mayo in scrambled eggs! Does anyone here do this?

"Always do sober what you said you`d do drunk. That will teach you to
keep your mouth shut" - Ernest Hemingway

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Lovely EvilOne wrote:
> I was recently looking at posts in another group and came across a food
> blog in which the writer described and photographed making the best
> scrambled eggs ever - with mayo. [snip] Does anyone here do this?

Not me. Toast, mayo, lettuce, tomato and egg makes a good sandwich
occasionally. That's as close as mayo gets to scramled eggs here.
(Actually, I make this sandwich with a fried egg sometimes, too)
-aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lovely EvilOne wrote:

> I was recently looking at posts in another group and came across a food
> blog in which the writer described and photographed making the best
> scrambled eggs ever - with mayo. I had never heard of such a thing, and
> I been reading this group for over a year, and I`ve seen more then a
> couple scrambled eggs threads and I can`t ever recall anyone ever
> putting mayo in scrambled eggs! Does anyone here do this?

I can't say that it sounds disgusting. I just don't see the point in adding it
to the eggs. I can understand using some as a condiment if someone has
overcooked scrambled eggs. I like mine nice and wet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

> Lovely EvilOne wrote:
>
>> I was recently looking at posts in another group and came across a
>> food blog in which the writer described and photographed making the
>> best scrambled eggs ever - with mayo. I had never heard of such a
>> thing, and I been reading this group for over a year, and I`ve seen
>> more then a couple scrambled eggs threads and I can`t ever recall
>> anyone ever putting mayo in scrambled eggs! Does anyone here do this?

> I can't say that it sounds disgusting. I just don't see the point in
> adding it to the eggs. I can understand using some as a condiment if
> someone has overcooked scrambled eggs. I like mine nice and wet.

Sounds like a quickie hot deviled eggs scramble now that I think about it.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:

> >I was recently looking at posts in another group and came across a food
> >blog in which the writer described and photographed making the best
> >scrambled eggs ever - with mayo

> Mayo is JUST FAT. Most of us use butter...mayo adds a different
> flavor dimension.

Mayo is made with egg yolks and oil with an emulsifier and a bit of
seasoning. It is high in fat, but not just fat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:11:17 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Ward Abbott wrote:
>

>> >I was recently looking at posts in another group and came across a food
>> >blog in which the writer described and photographed making the best
>> >scrambled eggs ever - with mayo

>> Mayo is JUST FAT. Most of us use butter...mayo adds a different
>> flavor dimension.

>Mayo is made with egg yolks and oil with an emulsifier and a bit of
>seasoning. It is high in fat, but not just fat.

You must have a different "bottle" of Hellmann's Mayo.

MY Hellmann's (the ONLY brand of mayo I use, along with most of the
free world) list ingredients as: soybean OIL, water, whole eggs and
egg yolks, vinegar, salt, sugar, etc, etc.

I am positive YOU know that the FIRST ingredient in any packaged
product it the most prevalent...and reducing in quantity as listed.

I repeat....MAYO is JUST FAT.....my people call it soybean OIL.

Did you notice that WATER precedes whole eggs and egg yolks? Check
your facts first.

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 21:40:04 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:

>I have never added mayo to scrambled eggs but it sounds interesting...
>kinda'. I use mayo on egg sandwiches and I'll make an occasional egg and
>english muffin thing using mayo, lettuce, tomato (when in season) and
>bacon.

Have you ever coated your bacon slices in flour and then fried? Nice
touch

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:04:46 GMT, Ward Abbott >
wrote:

>Have you ever coated your bacon slices in flour and then fried? Nice
>touch

Oh, now that's just plain evil! We're having bacon cheeseburgers
later. Hmmmmmm

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:

> >> Mayo is JUST FAT. Most of us use butter...mayo adds a different
> >> flavor dimension.

> >Mayo is made with egg yolks and oil with an emulsifier and a bit of
> >seasoning. It is high in fat, but not just fat.

> You must have a different "bottle" of Hellmann's Mayo.
>
> MY Hellmann's (the ONLY brand of mayo I use, along with most of the
> free world) list ingredients as: soybean OIL, water, whole eggs and
> egg yolks, vinegar, salt, sugar, etc, etc.

Yes, my JAR of Hellmans indicated that the primary ingredient is OIL. It has
all those other high fat ingredients. is not JUST fat.

> I am positive YOU know that the FIRST ingredient in any packaged
> product it the most prevalent...and reducing in quantity as listed.

I KNOW that the FIRST ingredient is the MOST PREVALENT, I also KNOW that the
MOST PREVALENT ingredient is not THE ONLY ingredient.

> I repeat....MAYO is JUST FAT.....my people call it soybean OIL.

And looking at the ingredients that YOU posted I will thank you for proving my
point that it is not all fat.

> Did you notice that WATER precedes whole eggs and egg yolks? Check
> your facts first.

Yes, I saw that. The last time I checked WATER was not ALL FAT.
I can check that fact for you if you insist, but I am counting on you realizing
how stupid that sounds before I bother.

> The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
> Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
> may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

FWIW, I seldom use mayo. If I am counting on doing something with mayo, I make
it, and the recipe I use has egg yolks and olive oil with some bustard, salt
and pepper.

> As with any recipe, you may find your personal
> intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

LOL You talk about recipes and then cite the label on your mayo jar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:

> Have you ever coated your bacon slices in flour and then fried? Nice
> touch

Is that a rhetorical question, or should I say "no" ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-04-15, gary > wrote:

> spoonful of mayo in with the eggs as he was scrambling them. Makes them
> nice and creamy.

Assuming you've put oil in the skillet prior to adding eggs, adding
mayo is essentially adding uncooked oil and eggs to cooked oil and
eggs. It doesn't make them creamy, it makes them more oily.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

>On 2006-04-15, gary > wrote:

>> spoonful of mayo in with the eggs as he was scrambling them. Makes them
>> nice and creamy.

>Assuming you've put oil in the skillet prior to adding eggs, adding
>mayo is essentially adding uncooked oil and eggs to cooked oil and
>eggs. It doesn't make them creamy, it makes them more oily.

Mayo is an oil/water emulsion. Some say adding water to
eggs makes scrambled eggs fluffier. Perhaps mayo would
have a similar effect.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lovely EvilOne wrote:
> I was recently looking at posts in another group and came across a food
> blog in which the writer described and photographed making the best
> scrambled eggs ever - with mayo. I had never heard of such a thing, and
> I been reading this group for over a year, and I`ve seen more then a
> couple scrambled eggs threads and I can`t ever recall anyone ever
> putting mayo in scrambled eggs! Does anyone here do this?

I wouldn't do it, and if it was JARRED MAYO, I'd say that the poster
was a person of horrible taste. I'm not a big fan even of fresh mayo,
but the difference between freshly made mayo and the jarred crap is
huge.

I've had mayonnaise that was made with nothing but egg yolks, olive
oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice and salt that I can say that I
enjoyed. I'm living up to my moniker, no?

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, (Steve Pope) wrote:
>notbob > wrote:
>>On 2006-04-15, gary > wrote:

>>> spoonful of mayo in with the eggs as he was scrambling them. Makes them
>>> nice and creamy.

>>Assuming you've put oil in the skillet prior to adding eggs, adding
>>mayo is essentially adding uncooked oil and eggs to cooked oil and
>>eggs. It doesn't make them creamy, it makes them more oily.

>Mayo is an oil/water emulsion. Some say adding water to eggs makes
>scrambled eggs fluffier. Perhaps mayo would have a similar effect.

Do you add milk when making scrambled eggs? That would effectively
add fat for creaminess, water for fluffiness (and a bit of non-egg
protein for variety).

Anyway, here's one version of "creamy scrambled eggs":
<quoting http://southernfood.about.com/od/eggrecipes/r/bl30102z.htm>
Creamy Scrambled Eggs with Bacon
From Diana Rattray, Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 pound sliced bacon
2 tablespoons butter
8 eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
3/4 teaspoon salt

PREPARATION:
Cook bacon to desired doneness and transfer to paper towels to drain.
Keep warm. Pour off bacon grease and melt butter in the same skillet.
Beat eggs lightly and whisk in cream, salt, and pepper. Pour into hot
skillet and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened
but still moist, about 6 to 9 minutes. Transfer to hot platter and
garnish with bacon strips. Serves 4.
</quoting>

Why not use the bacon grease too?

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Phred) wrote in
:

> In article >,

> (Steve Pope) wrote:
>>notbob > wrote:

>>>Assuming you've put oil in the skillet prior to adding eggs, adding
>>>mayo is essentially adding uncooked oil and eggs to cooked oil and
>>>eggs. It doesn't make them creamy, it makes them more oily.

>>Mayo is an oil/water emulsion. Some say adding water to eggs makes
>>scrambled eggs fluffier. Perhaps mayo would have a similar effect.

> Do you add milk when making scrambled eggs? That would effectively
> add fat for creaminess, water for fluffiness (and a bit of non-egg
> protein for variety).
>
> Anyway, here's one version of "creamy scrambled eggs":
> <quoting http://southernfood.about.com/od/eggrecipes/r/bl30102z.htm>
> Creamy Scrambled Eggs with Bacon
> From Diana Rattray, Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.
>
> INGREDIENTS:
> 1/2 pound sliced bacon
> 2 tablespoons butter
> 8 eggs
> 1/3 cup heavy cream
> 3/4 teaspoon salt
>
> PREPARATION:
> Cook bacon to desired doneness and transfer to paper towels to drain.
> Keep warm. Pour off bacon grease and melt butter in the same skillet.
> Beat eggs lightly and whisk in cream, salt, and pepper. Pour into hot
> skillet and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened
> but still moist, about 6 to 9 minutes. Transfer to hot platter and
> garnish with bacon strips. Serves 4.
> </quoting>
>
> Why not use the bacon grease too?
>
> Cheers, Phred.

Phred,

But, but, but... no avocados???

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Avocados [Was: Scrambled eggs with mayo?]

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
(Phred) wrote in
:

[...]
>> Anyway, here's one version of "creamy scrambled eggs":
>> <quoting http://southernfood.about.com/od/eggrecipes/r/bl30102z.htm>
>> Creamy Scrambled Eggs with Bacon
>> From Diana Rattray, Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.
>>
>> INGREDIENTS:
>> 1/2 pound sliced bacon
>> 2 tablespoons butter
>> 8 eggs
>> 1/3 cup heavy cream
>> 3/4 teaspoon salt
>>
>> PREPARATION:
>> Cook bacon to desired doneness and transfer to paper towels to drain.
>> Keep warm. Pour off bacon grease and melt butter in the same skillet.
>> Beat eggs lightly and whisk in cream, salt, and pepper. Pour into hot
>> skillet and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened
>> but still moist, about 6 to 9 minutes. Transfer to hot platter and
>> garnish with bacon strips. Serves 4.
>> </quoting>
>>
>> Why not use the bacon grease too?

>Phred,
>But, but, but... no avocados???

Can't say I've tried avocado in scrambled eggs. (But isn't there some
sort of liqueur with a name rather like that? Might be a goer. :-)

Local avocados are going to be in rather short supply here in NQ,
courtesy of the recent passing of TC Larry across our main growing
areas. For a few weeks probably won't be too bad -- I'm told farmers
have been able to gather some of the wind fall in fair condition.
However, where the trees themselves have suffered badly, production is
likely to be well down for some time.

Ill winds and all that -- leaves more opportunity for growers
elsewhere. (Including those in bloody Kiwiland, Kathy. :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Member

Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida

I've heard of adding mayo before. I was out of milk this morning, so scrounged through the fridge for a substitute for my egg casserole. I used mayo.