Zatarain's Dirty Rice

Old 14-04-2006, 01:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Zatarain's Dirty Rice

Yes, tonight I'm preparing dinner from a boxed mix. Zatarain's Dirty Rice.
Not as a side, just for dinner.

Now, I normally would prepare this as a side using a recipe given to me by a
former co-worker, Mz. Cloutier from Houma, Louisana. But I suspect she just
adapted it from Paul Prudhomme's recipe, which I've prepared in the past
(excellent!). But that serves about 10 people. I'm one people

At any rate, I have no chicken gizzards or livers to grind up to add to this
so I'm just using ground beef. I'll tart up the mixture with chicken stock
rather than water; I'll add some diced green bell pepper, onion and garlic
and a squirt of fresh lemon juice. Alas, I have no celery. I'll taste it
and add some hot sauce and maybe even ground sassafrass leaves (file powder)
after the rice cooks. File is a thickener as well as a seasoning. This is
one quick cooking boxed meal which I adore. And as I said, I eat this as a
meal, over a period of a several days or I can freeze the leftovers. For
those of you who don't know, cooked rice freezes very well.

Jill

Old 14-04-2006, 01:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

When I was single I probably tried every box rice mix on the market at
one time or another. To me, they all taste way too salty. I have
recently been "cheating" by buying the RiceSelect Royal Blend rice
(produced by RiceTec in TX)
http://www.riceselect.com/rylblend.htm
and spicing it up (sauteed garlic, geen onions, carrots, spices). It's
pre-cooked a bit so doesn't take as long, and still has the whole-grain
benefits. They even have a red beans & rice mix, too. Another
thing I do is to cook and freeze my wild and whole-grain rices and then
add them (thawed) during the last few minutes of cooking time, to my
white rice pilafs - saves a lot of time.

-L.

Old 14-04-2006, 02:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I tried the Zatarain's Gumbo. It called for okra --no fresh okra around here
so I tried some canned okra. Turned out to be pretty gross --the canned okra
tasted unpleasant and ruined the rest. They're probably tasty with a little
fixin' up -- a little hog jowls and poke salad on the side :-)
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Old 14-04-2006, 02:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Update: ( Zatarain's Dirty Rice Mix)

jmcquown wrote:
Yes, tonight I'm preparing dinner from a boxed mix. Zatarain's Dirty
Rice. Not as a side, just for dinner.

At any rate, I have no chicken gizzards or livers to grind up to add
to this so I'm just using ground beef. I'll tart up the mixture with
chicken stock rather than water; I'll add some diced green bell
pepper, onion and garlic and a squirt of fresh lemon juice. Alas, I
have no celery. I'll taste it and add some hot sauce and maybe even
ground sassafrass leaves (file powder) after the rice cooks. File is
a thickener as well as a seasoning. This is one quick cooking boxed
meal which I adore. And as I said, I eat this as a meal, over a
period of a several days or I can freeze the leftovers. For those of
you who don't know, cooked rice freezes very well.

Jill

Needed more garlic. I have yet to add any of the file powder but I added
some more stock because some of the rice tender. I'll add the file when
it's done simmering another 10 minutes. All in all, not bad for a tricked
up boxed rice mix.

Jill

Old 14-04-2006, 02:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lefty wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Canned okra is nasty, slimy stuff. Frozen, not canned okra, if you must use
it and can't be bothered with fresh. The fresh pods aren't hard to slice
and dice but are sometimes hard to pick out as 'good'. Still, no okra
called for in this.

Jill

Old 14-04-2006, 02:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Estaban Vuertez wrote:
On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:24:48 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Let us know next time you lift the lid. And everytime after
that. I can't stand the suspense waiting to hear how this
finally turns out.

-sw

I only lifted the lid after 25 minutes of simmering, thank you very much. I
know how to cook rice (without a rice cooker). And I get tired, *really
tired* of killfiling you *sqwertz*, in all your various incarnations.
Haven't seen this one before, so there you go.

Jill

Old 14-04-2006, 04:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I really like the Zatarains products; they're pretty good for dinner
from a box. The yellow rice is very good, although I like to dice some
onion and pepper in it. The Red Beans and rice is good also, if you
doctor it up with some diced onion and pepper; I also like to use a
combination of smoked sausage and shrimp with it. My favorite product
of theirs is probably the Alfredo mix.

Old 14-04-2006, 04:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-04-14, jmcquown wrote:
Yes, tonight I'm preparing dinner from a boxed mix. Zatarain's Dirty Rice.
Not as a side, just for dinner.

Aren't Zatarain's rice dishes made with pre-cooked freeze dried rice,
like Uncle Ben's?

nb
Old 14-04-2006, 05:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-04-14, jmcquown wrote:
Yes, tonight I'm preparing dinner from a boxed mix. Zatarain's
Dirty Rice. Not as a side, just for dinner.

Aren't Zatarain's rice dishes made with pre-cooked freeze dried rice,
like Uncle Ben's?

nb

You still have to simmer it 25 minutes so I don't think they use par-boiled
rice.

Jill

Old 14-04-2006, 07:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael O'Connor wrote:
I really like the Zatarains products; they're pretty good for dinner
from a box. The yellow rice is very good, although I like to dice
some onion and pepper in it. The Red Beans and rice is good also, if
you doctor it up with some diced onion and pepper; I also like to use
a combination of smoked sausage and shrimp with it. My favorite
product of theirs is probably the Alfredo mix.

I've never tried their Alfredo mix. I was a bit disturbed when I looked for
the Red Beans & Rice mix to only find pasta mixes rather than rice mixes at
my local grocery store. I don't associate New Orleans/Cajun/Creole with
pasta. Couldn't find any rice and bean mixes at all.

I wound up adding 1 cup cooked seasoned pinto beans to this mixture when I
added the file powder. It was tasty

Jill

Old 14-04-2006, 12:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-04-14, jmcquown wrote:
Yes, tonight I'm preparing dinner from a boxed mix. Zatarain's
Dirty Rice. Not as a side, just for dinner.

Aren't Zatarain's rice dishes made with pre-cooked freeze dried rice,
like Uncle Ben's?

nb

Took 25+ minutes to cook so I don't think it's "converted" or parboiled
rice.

Jill

Old 14-04-2006, 12:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
Yes, tonight I'm preparing dinner from a boxed mix. Zatarain's Dirty Rice.
Not as a side, just for dinner.

.. . .
At any rate, I have no chicken gizzards or livers to grind up to add to this
so I'm just using ground beef. . . .
File is a thickener as well as a seasoning. . . .

Jill

No gizzards or livers, try breakfast sausage, browned and drained. Or
any sausage diced.
And let me know how the file faired in your leftovers. It supposed to
do bad things in reheatings.

Old 14-04-2006, 02:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

While I am a great fan of Zat..... products,
their "Dirty Rice" was most unimpressive.

As you'e said, you've got to add way to many enhancers
to make it a presentable dish.

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:31:09 -0500, "jmcquown" wrote:

Yes, tonight I'm preparing dinner from a boxed mix. Zatarain's Dirty Rice.
Not as a side, just for dinner.

Jill

rj
Old 14-04-2006, 04:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-04-14, jmcquown wrote:

You still have to simmer it 25 minutes so I don't think they use par-boiled
rice.

Hmmm... Maybe it was another brand.

nb

Fried Rice Dish w/Raw Rice? kalanamak General Cooking 11 10-12-2004 05:07 PM
Rice primer requested limey General Cooking 8 09-11-2004 02:44 PM
rice juice? Scott General Cooking 5 11-09-2004 09:29 PM
Quick Minute Rice Side Dishes (5) Collection ron g Recipes (moderated) 0 25-04-2004 10:36 PM
Black Sticky Rice Pudding International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 09-11-2003 07:54 PM