How to cook "Flanken" Cross-Cut Ribs

Old 13-04-2006, 08:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to cook "Flanken" Cross-Cut Ribs

I bought some 1/2" cross cut english-style ribs. Also known as
cross-cut flanken ribs or korean cut ribs. I wouldn't have
bought them except that they were cheap, and if I bought a pack
for $3.50, I got almost $9 worth of other stuff for free (HEB
Meal Deal).

I won't be able to use a grill or smoker tonight. How would you
cook these? I was figuring I'd just put them in the oven on a
rack and cover lightly with foil, and cook low for a couple hours
until they get pretty tender, then use them in some sort of
tacos. I'm open to other suggestions, though.

These are pre-seasoned (but not brined) with some sort of mildly
spicy rub.

-sw
Old 13-04-2006, 08:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

I bought some 1/2" cross cut english-style ribs. Also known as
cross-cut flanken ribs or korean cut ribs. I wouldn't have
bought them except that they were cheap, and if I bought a pack
for $3.50, I got almost $9 worth of other stuff for free (HEB
Meal Deal).

I won't be able to use a grill or smoker tonight. How would you
cook these? I was figuring I'd just put them in the oven on a
rack and cover lightly with foil, and cook low for a couple hours
until they get pretty tender, then use them in some sort of
tacos. I'm open to other suggestions, though.

These are pre-seasoned (but not brined) with some sort of mildly
spicy rub.

-sw

I wouldn't bake them. Brown and braise them, like a
lamb shanks.

Brown them in olive oil, remove from pot. Sweat some
mirapoix. Add back meat. Add red wine, stock and bouquet
garni. Simmer until tender.

--
Reg

Old 13-04-2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:27:30 -0500, Steve Wertz
wrote:

I bought some 1/2" cross cut english-style ribs. Also known as
cross-cut flanken ribs or korean cut ribs. I wouldn't have
bought them except that they were cheap, and if I bought a pack
for $3.50, I got almost $9 worth of other stuff for free (HEB
Meal Deal).

I won't be able to use a grill or smoker tonight. How would you
cook these?

Marinate in korean-barbecue marinade: equal parts water, sugar, and
soy sauce. I almost always cook these on the grill, but they work
under the broiler, too. We marinate them for two days, but shorter
works, too.

Yum!

serene
Old 13-04-2006, 10:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:
I bought some 1/2" cross cut english-style ribs. Also known as
cross-cut flanken ribs or korean cut ribs. I wouldn't have
bought them except that they were cheap, and if I bought a pack
for $3.50, I got almost $9 worth of other stuff for free (HEB
Meal Deal).

I won't be able to use a grill or smoker tonight. How would you
cook these? I was figuring I'd just put them in the oven on a
rack and cover lightly with foil, and cook low for a couple hours
until they get pretty tender, then use them in some sort of
tacos. I'm open to other suggestions, though.

These are pre-seasoned (but not brined) with some sort of mildly
spicy rub.

I'd wrap them completely in foil, leaving one end open. Into that opening
I'd add a bit of braising liquid, seal the thing up, and cook them very
slowly until they're tender. I'm not sure what seasonings are already on it,
but you can obviously come up with complementary flavors in the braising
liquid. Depending on what those seasonings are, you can come up with a
braising liquid that is teriyaki-flavored (soy, sesame, and mirin), Thai
(Thai red curry paste and coconut milk), barbecue FLAVORED (I'm not going to
elaborate on that), Tex-Mex (beer, chili powder, cumin), Chinese
"red-cooked" (red wine, five-spice powder, garlic, dark soy, and brown
sugar), and so forth.

Bob

Old 13-04-2006, 10:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
I bought some 1/2" cross cut english-style ribs. Also known as
cross-cut flanken ribs or korean cut ribs. I wouldn't have
bought them except that they were cheap, and if I bought a pack
for $3.50, I got almost $9 worth of other stuff for free (HEB
Meal Deal).

I won't be able to use a grill or smoker tonight. How would you
cook these? I was figuring I'd just put them in the oven on a
rack and cover lightly with foil, and cook low for a couple hours
until they get pretty tender, then use them in some sort of
tacos. I'm open to other suggestions, though.

These are pre-seasoned (but not brined) with some sort of mildly
spicy rub.

Pre seasoned... oy vey. That means they probably began to stink, and
also why they were so cheap.

http://www.jewish-food.org/recipes/barlsou9.htm

Sheldon

Old 13-04-2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I won't be able to use a grill or smoker tonight. How would you
cook these?

Ribs? Boil 'em, of course!

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Old 14-04-2006, 12:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I won't be able to use a grill or smoker tonight. How would you
cook these?

Ribs? Boil 'em, of course!

Carol

But I thought that was *before* you grill them?

Jill --ducking and running

Old 14-04-2006, 12:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I won't be able to use a grill or smoker tonight. How would you
cook these?

Ribs? Boil 'em, of course!

But I thought that was *before* you grill them?

Yeah, I forgot that part. Sorry, Steve!

Carol

Old 14-04-2006, 12:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Steve Wertz said:

snip

I won't be able to use a grill or smoker tonight. How would you
cook these? I was figuring I'd just put them in the oven on a
rack and cover lightly with foil, and cook low for a couple hours
until they get pretty tender, then use them in some sort of
tacos. I'm open to other suggestions, though.

These are pre-seasoned (but not brined) with some sort of mildly
spicy rub.

The only way I've had these is what Mom called "New England Boiled
Dinner" -- short ribs, carrots, cabbage and potatoes cooked in a
big pot of water. But I don't think that would work so well with
pre-seasoned ribs...

--
jj - rfc (Jani) in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Old 14-04-2006, 12:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

jj - rfc wrote:
One time on Usenet, Steve Wertz said:

snip

I won't be able to use a grill or smoker tonight. How would you
cook these? I was figuring I'd just put them in the oven on a
rack and cover lightly with foil, and cook low for a couple hours
until they get pretty tender, then use them in some sort of
tacos. I'm open to other suggestions, though.

These are pre-seasoned (but not brined) with some sort of mildly
spicy rub.

The only way I've had these is what Mom called "New England Boiled
Dinner" -- short ribs, carrots, cabbage and potatoes cooked in a
big pot of water. But I don't think that would work so well with
pre-seasoned ribs...

To me "New England Boiled Dinner" involves beef brisket, not short ribs, but
hey, to each their own. For these, since we don't know what the seasonings
are, I'd just bake them (covered) with a little liquid to keep them moist,
on low until tender. If they were plain flanken (short) ribs, I have an
Emeril (!) recipe for short-rib bourbon stew that might work, but not with
an unknown seasoning rub on them.

Jill

Old 14-04-2006, 12:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:13:19 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

To me "New England Boiled Dinner" involves beef brisket, not short ribs, but
hey, to each their own.

Minnesota Boiled Dinner involves ham, but that may have been just in
our house.

Carol

Old 14-04-2006, 12:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
Damsel wrote:
Steve Wertz wrote:

I won't be able to use a grill or smoker tonight. How would you
cook these?

Ribs? Boil 'em, of course!

But I thought that was *before* you grill them?

Actually these are the kind of ribs that are best boiled... no better
beef soup on the planet.

Sheldon

Old 14-04-2006, 08:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I bought some 1/2" cross cut english-style ribs. Also known as
cross-cut flanken ribs or korean cut ribs. I wouldn't have
bought them except that they were cheap, and if I bought a pack
for $3.50, I got almost $9 worth of other stuff for free (HEB
Meal Deal).

I won't be able to use a grill or smoker tonight. How would you
cook these?

Marinate in korean-barbecue marinade: equal parts water, sugar, and
soy sauce. I almost always cook these on the grill, but they work
under the broiler, too. We marinate them for two days, but shorter
works, too.

Yum!

serene

Yep, what Serene said.

kili

Old 14-04-2006, 02:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

To me "New England Boiled Dinner" involves beef brisket, not short
ribs, but hey, to each their own.

Minnesota Boiled Dinner involves ham, but that may have been just in
our house.

Carol

Again, to each their own! I never had ham except at Easter at my mom's
dinner table. And she only served real butter for rolls on Easter and at
Thanksgiving (and she always burned the rolls! I bought her a timer!). But
she did the margarine thing during the depression and WWII. And wore leg
makeup because they couldn't get stockings. Mom was a Floozie!

Jill

Placing brisket in a Brinkman smoker. ceed Barbecue 22 25-06-2005 11:43 PM
Pizza Sauce Recipe rmg General Cooking 4 26-01-2005 03:20 AM
Ribs Ribs & More Ribs Mario Taormina Barbecue 6 05-01-2004 12:36 AM
Pork Rib help Steve Calvin General Cooking 13 11-12-2003 09:57 PM