Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tomato technique

Not all that long ago, there was a small discussion about cutting up onions
lengthwise so that fewer cell walls would be ruptured. That technique was
attributed to Thomas Keller (though he might not have been the first to come
up with it). Apparently, there's a similarly fussy way to prepare tomatoes.

I'm currently reading _Tapas, a Taste of Spain in America_, by José Andrés.
In the book he mentioned removing "fillets" from tomatoes. As we all know, a
tomato is made up of chambers containing seeds and some jelly-like stuff
holding the seeds together. By judicious cutting and scooping, you can
remove each chamber's contents as one lump of seedy goo. That lump is what
is being called the "fillet."

Has anybody run across the term "tomato fillet" or that technique before? (I
suppose if we're talking about tomato fillets, we must be using BEEFSTEAK
tomatoes!)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Not all that long ago, there was a small discussion about cutting up onions
> lengthwise so that fewer cell walls would be ruptured. That technique was
> attributed to Thomas Keller (though he might not have been the first to come
> up with it). Apparently, there's a similarly fussy way to prepare tomatoes.
>
> I'm currently reading _Tapas, a Taste of Spain in America_, by José Andrés.
> In the book he mentioned removing "fillets" from tomatoes. As we all know, a
> tomato is made up of chambers containing seeds and some jelly-like stuff
> holding the seeds together. By judicious cutting and scooping, you can
> remove each chamber's contents as one lump of seedy goo. That lump is what
> is being called the "fillet."
>
> Has anybody run across the term "tomato fillet" or that technique before? (I
> suppose if we're talking about tomato fillets, we must be using BEEFSTEAK
> tomatoes!)
>
> Bob

I don't know why I have the impression that the reverse is the fillet
(the meat without the seed)????

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Apr 2006 01:16:09 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Has anybody run across the term "tomato fillet" or that technique before? (I
>suppose if we're talking about tomato fillets, we must be using BEEFSTEAK
>tomatoes!)
>
>Bob

Yes, I think it is also called tomato concasse. I could be wrong
though. But I have seen this many places.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee wrote:

>> I'm currently reading _Tapas, a Taste of Spain in America_, by José
>> Andrés. In the book he mentioned removing "fillets" from tomatoes. As we
>> all know, a tomato is made up of chambers containing seeds and some
>> jelly-like stuff holding the seeds together. By judicious cutting and
>> scooping, you can remove each chamber's contents as one lump of seedy
>> goo. That lump is what is being called the "fillet."
>>
>> Has anybody run across the term "tomato fillet" or that technique before?
>> (I suppose if we're talking about tomato fillets, we must be using
>> BEEFSTEAK tomatoes!)

> I don't know why I have the impression that the reverse is the fillet (the
> meat without the seed)????

The book clearly means the lump of seeds. It's got a picture of tomato
fillets draped over cubes of watermelon. I scanned the picture uploaded it
to tinypic so you can see for yourself: www.tinypic.com/v46j35.jpg

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

> Yes, I think it is also called tomato concasse. I could be wrong
> though. But I have seen this many places.

Tomato concasse is simply tomatoes coarsely chopped or ground. It may or
may not contain the seeds, but it DEFINITELY contains the tomato flesh.
These "fillets" don't contain the fleshy part of the tomato, it's just the
seeds and that jelly-like stuff.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Apr 2006 02:17:08 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Christine wrote:
>
>> Yes, I think it is also called tomato concasse. I could be wrong
>> though. But I have seen this many places.

>Tomato concasse is simply tomatoes coarsely chopped or ground. It may or
>may not contain the seeds, but it DEFINITELY contains the tomato flesh.
>These "fillets" don't contain the fleshy part of the tomato, it's just the
>seeds and that jelly-like stuff.

Weird.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Apr 2006 02:13:01 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>The book clearly means the lump of seeds. It's got a picture of tomato
>fillets draped over cubes of watermelon. I scanned the picture uploaded it
>to tinypic so you can see for yourself: www.tinypic.com/v46j35.jpg
>
>Bob

Hmm..this is the reverse of what I have known. I have always heard of
that as the tomato "jelly"...not the filet. I have always heard of
the filet being the flesh of the tomato.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Dee wrote:
>
> >> I'm currently reading _Tapas, a Taste of Spain in America_, by José
> >> Andrés. In the book he mentioned removing "fillets" from tomatoes. As we
> >> all know, a tomato is made up of chambers containing seeds and some
> >> jelly-like stuff holding the seeds together. By judicious cutting and
> >> scooping, you can remove each chamber's contents as one lump of seedy
> >> goo. That lump is what is being called the "fillet."
> >>
> >> Has anybody run across the term "tomato fillet" or that technique before?
> >> (I suppose if we're talking about tomato fillets, we must be using
> >> BEEFSTEAK tomatoes!)

> > I don't know why I have the impression that the reverse is the fillet (the
> > meat without the seed)????

> The book clearly means the lump of seeds. It's got a picture of tomato
> fillets draped over cubes of watermelon. I scanned the picture uploaded it
> to tinypic so you can see for yourself: www.tinypic.com/v46j35.jpg
>
> Bob

mmmm beautilicious!! Great for summer!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

>> The book clearly means the lump of seeds. It's got a picture of tomato
>> fillets draped over cubes of watermelon. I scanned the picture uploaded
>> it to tinypic so you can see for yourself: www.tinypic.com/v46j35.jpg

> Hmm..this is the reverse of what I have known. I have always heard of
> that as the tomato "jelly"...not the filet. I have always heard of
> the filet being the flesh of the tomato.

I've always heard of the flesh being the "meat" of the tomato. I'd never
heard the term "fillet" applied to a tomato before, and this book's use of
the seed/jelly part of the tomato is new to me; that's why I brought it up.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dee wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:

>>> I don't know why I have the impression that the reverse is the
>>> fillet (the meat without the seed)????

>> The book clearly means the lump of seeds. It's got a picture of
>> tomato fillets draped over cubes of watermelon. I scanned the
>> picture uploaded it to tinypic so you can see for yourself:
>> www.tinypic.com/v46j35.jpg
>>
>> Bob

> mmmm beautilicious!! Great for summer!

Looks disgusting to me. Tomato goo on watermelon? Ewwww!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 10 Apr 2006 03:42:51a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

> Looks disgusting to me. Tomato goo on watermelon? Ewwww!

Yep, disgusting!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> The book clearly means the lump of seeds. It's got a picture of tomato
> fillets draped over cubes of watermelon. I scanned the picture uploaded it
> to tinypic so you can see for yourself: www.tinypic.com/v46j35.jpg
>
> Bob

Skewered tomato glop with watermelon. Hmmm. As we say here, "That's
different." I'm trying to decide how you eat it. Or maybe its
skewered just for service from plate to plate. I'm thinking that if you
eat it like a popsicle, you'd have tomato snot running down the skewer
to your hand. It's an interesting combination to think about, though,
I guess.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-2-06, Church review #11

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>
>> The book clearly means the lump of seeds. It's got a picture of
>> tomato fillets draped over cubes of watermelon. I scanned the
>> picture uploaded it to tinypic so you can see for yourself:
>> www.tinypic.com/v46j35.jpg
>>
>> Bob

> Skewered tomato glop with watermelon. Hmmm. As we say here, "That's
> different." I'm trying to decide how you eat it. Or maybe its
> skewered just for service from plate to plate. I'm thinking that if
> you eat it like a popsicle, you'd have tomato snot running down the
> skewer
> to your hand. It's an interesting combination to think about,
> though,
> I guess.

Actually looks gross, if you ask me. Someone was complaining about salt on
melons. My dad used to put ketchup on watermelon. This seems to be a
'fancier' version of that. Doesn't make it right!

After the storms that ran through here over the weekend it's downright
chilly; in the 40's. I had a fire in the fireplace last night and watched a
couple of old movies. Today, I think I'll do some chicken stew with
dumplings. Hard to describe, other than to say it has boiled chicken and
from which stock is made; onions, carrots, potatoes, celery. Salt & pepper
of course, and herbs (parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme - singing!) and some
drop dumplings to thicken it all.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> dee wrote:
>> Bob Terwilliger wrote:

>>> The book clearly means the lump of seeds. It's got a picture of
>>> tomato fillets draped over cubes of watermelon. I scanned the
>>> picture uploaded it to tinypic so you can see for yourself:
>>> www.tinypic.com/v46j35.jpg
>>>
>>> Bob

>> mmmm beautilicious!! Great for summer!

> Looks disgusting to me. Tomato goo on watermelon? Ewwww!

I love both watermelon and tomato, but this picture made my stomach jump!
(not for joy)
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:

> The book clearly means the lump of seeds. It's got a picture of tomato
> fillets draped over cubes of watermelon. I scanned the picture uploaded it
> to tinypic so you can see for yourself: www.tinypic.com/v46j35.jpg
>
> Bob

That doesn't appeal to me. Funny - I'm happy to get rid of the glop when
I'm getting ready to chop tomatoes. Just me, I suppose.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"limey" > wrote in message

> "Bob Terwilliger" wrote:
>>
>> The book clearly means the lump of seeds. It's got a picture of tomato
>> fillets draped over cubes of watermelon. I scanned the picture uploaded
>> it to tinypic so you can see for yourself: www.tinypic.com/v46j35.jpg
>>
>> Bob

> That doesn't appeal to me. Funny - I'm happy to get rid of the glop when
> I'm getting ready to chop tomatoes. Just me, I suppose.
>
> Dora

I've tried pushing it thru a little strainer, but it doesn't add anything to
make it worth the trouble -- just my frugal nature and hoping that I'll get
a better flavor. I suppose if this were true, they would've written about
it.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" wrote in message >
> "limey" wrote in message
>> "Bob Terwilliger" wrote:
>>>
>>> The book clearly means the lump of seeds. It's got a picture of tomato
>>> fillets draped over cubes of watermelon. I scanned the picture uploaded
>>> it to tinypic so you can see for yourself: www.tinypic.com/v46j35.jpg
>>>
>>> Bob

>> That doesn't appeal to me. Funny - I'm happy to get rid of the glop when
>> I'm getting ready to chop tomatoes. Just me, I suppose.
>>
>> Dora

> I've tried pushing it thru a little strainer, but it doesn't add anything
> to make it worth the trouble -- just my frugal nature and hoping that I'll
> get a better flavor. I suppose if this were true, they would've written
> about it.
> Dee Dee

LOL - How true!

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 10 Apr 2006 03:42:51a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?
>
> > Looks disgusting to me. Tomato goo on watermelon? Ewwww!

> Yep, disgusting!

Yep, my thoughts 'zackly. Tomato and watermelon? For some reason that
just seems a no go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Not all that long ago, there was a small discussion about cutting up onions
> lengthwise so that fewer cell walls would be ruptured. That technique was
> attributed to Thomas Keller (though he might not have been the first to come
> up with it). Apparently, there's a similarly fussy way to prepare tomatoes.
>
> I'm currently reading _Tapas, a Taste of Spain in America_, by José Andrés.
> In the book he mentioned removing "fillets" from tomatoes. As we all know, a
> tomato is made up of chambers containing seeds and some jelly-like stuff
> holding the seeds together. By judicious cutting and scooping, you can
> remove each chamber's contents as one lump of seedy goo. That lump is what
> is being called the "fillet."
>
> Has anybody run across the term "tomato fillet" or that technique before? (I
> suppose if we're talking about tomato fillets, we must be using BEEFSTEAK
> tomatoes!)
>
> Bob

Interesting! After many years of canning, I can attest that other
varieties have just as much tomato fillet as the beefsteak. If you cut
the tomato just the right way, and again that is from many years of
canning and making salsa, the fillet will just pop out. I've used some
of these to provide seeds for the next growing year. The only other
source that I've seen use the seeds etc is Michael Smith. He did this
thing where the tomatoes were coursely chopped then put into a cheese
cloth bag then allowed to drip out the juices.

I kind of think the fillet with watermelon is rather interesting and
being adventurous would try it at least once. What the heck, I love
tomatoes and watermelon so what do I have to lose?

PS. A lot of tomato dishes are nicer is you remove the fillet or choose
a tomato variety that is meaty meaning smaller fillet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

> "limey" > wrote in message
>
>>"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:
>>
>>>The book clearly means the lump of seeds. It's got a picture of tomato
>>>fillets draped over cubes of watermelon. I scanned the picture uploaded
>>>it to tinypic so you can see for yourself: www.tinypic.com/v46j35.jpg
>>>
>>>Bob

>>That doesn't appeal to me. Funny - I'm happy to get rid of the glop when
>>I'm getting ready to chop tomatoes. Just me, I suppose.
>>
>>Dora

> I've tried pushing it thru a little strainer, but it doesn't add anything to
> make it worth the trouble -- just my frugal nature and hoping that I'll get
> a better flavor. I suppose if this were true, they would've written about
> it.
> Dee Dee

Try using a food mill. It will get rid of the skins and seeds leaving
everything else behind. I recommend it even though I don't like using
it. Mine anchors to the counter and I'm counter space challenged. It
takes time to set the thing up properly but once working it is fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger explained:

> The book clearly means the lump of seeds. It's got a picture of tomato
> fillets draped over cubes of watermelon. I scanned the picture uploaded it
> to tinypic so you can see for yourself: www.tinypic.com/v46j35.jpg
>
> Bob

Now this is truly disgusting. The "filet" is indeed, as Barb said so
descriptively, "tomato snot:" When I use tomatoes in salads, as opposed to
decorative wedges or slices, I remove the snot so it doesn't gunk up the
salad and then cut the tomato "shell" (?) into bite-size pieces.

Tomato snot. A memorable culinary term, Barb.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice Friese" > wrote in message
. ..

> Bob Terwilliger explained:
>
>> The book clearly means the lump of seeds. It's got a picture of tomato
>> fillets draped over cubes of watermelon. I scanned the picture uploaded
>> it to tinypic so you can see for yourself: www.tinypic.com/v46j35.jpg
>>
>> Bob

> Now this is truly disgusting. The "filet" is indeed, as Barb said so
> descriptively, "tomato snot:" When I use tomatoes in salads, as opposed
> to decorative wedges or slices, I remove the snot so it doesn't gunk up
> the salad and then cut the tomato "shell" (?) into bite-size pieces.
>
> Tomato snot. A memorable culinary term, Barb.
>
> Felice

Looking closer I can see the little seeds, or what look like seeds, hanging
onto the top of the watermelon with a toothpick. It amost looks like they
have been thickened with arrowroot. This looks like some of the disgusting
dishes that a chef named Andre some-thing-or-other from Spain was making on
a Bittman program.

What bothers me most in the videos on the foodgroups when the host visits
various upper-crust (pun!) kitchens, that the chefs all design the plates
with their little fingers. I know that they must all do it; they're not
going to be bothered or their creatiity hindered by gloves or tongs. And I
suppose the chef always coughs in his sleeve.
So sorry, folks, I got carried away on a tangent. I can't help myself.
I've said it all before too darned many times.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 07:19:40 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>
>> The book clearly means the lump of seeds. It's got a picture of tomato
>> fillets draped over cubes of watermelon. I scanned the picture uploaded it
>> to tinypic so you can see for yourself: www.tinypic.com/v46j35.jpg
>>
>> Bob

>Skewered tomato glop with watermelon. Hmmm. As we say here, "That's
>different." I'm trying to decide how you eat it. Or maybe its
>skewered just for service from plate to plate. I'm thinking that if you
>eat it like a popsicle, you'd have tomato snot running down the skewer
>to your hand. It's an interesting combination to think about, though,
>I guess.

Looks and sounds um, "different" to me, too. I'd try it if someone
went to the trouble of making them, but that someone would never be
me.

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> After the storms that ran through here over the weekend it's downright
> chilly; in the 40's.

Bummer. It's 70 degrees here. And sunny.

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-2-06, Church review #11

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
> > Not all that long ago, there was a small discussion about cutting up onions
> > lengthwise so that fewer cell walls would be ruptured. That technique was
> > attributed to Thomas Keller (though he might not have been the first to come
> > up with it). Apparently, there's a similarly fussy way to prepare tomatoes.
> >
> > I'm currently reading _Tapas, a Taste of Spain in America_, by José Andrés.
> > In the book he mentioned removing "fillets" from tomatoes. As we all know, a
> > tomato is made up of chambers containing seeds and some jelly-like stuff
> > holding the seeds together. By judicious cutting and scooping, you can
> > remove each chamber's contents as one lump of seedy goo. That lump is what
> > is being called the "fillet."
> >
> > Has anybody run across the term "tomato fillet" or that technique before? (I
> > suppose if we're talking about tomato fillets, we must be using BEEFSTEAK
> > tomatoes!)
> >
> > Bob
> >

> Interesting! After many years of canning, I can attest that other
> varieties have just as much tomato fillet as the beefsteak. If you cut
> the tomato just the right way, and again that is from many years of
> canning and making salsa, the fillet will just pop out. I've used some
> of these to provide seeds for the next growing year. The only other
> source that I've seen use the seeds etc is Michael Smith. He did this
> thing where the tomatoes were coursely chopped then put into a cheese
> cloth bag then allowed to drip out the juices.

I think I saw that episode. I think he said he was making tomato
water. But I don't remember what he used it for.....Sharon

> I kind of think the fillet with watermelon is rather interesting and
> being adventurous would try it at least once. What the heck, I love
> tomatoes and watermelon so what do I have to lose?
>
> PS. A lot of tomato dishes are nicer is you remove the fillet or choose
> a tomato variety that is meaty meaning smaller fillet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>
>>Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>

>>>Not all that long ago, there was a small discussion about cutting up onions
>>>lengthwise so that fewer cell walls would be ruptured. That technique was
>>>attributed to Thomas Keller (though he might not have been the first to come
>>>up with it). Apparently, there's a similarly fussy way to prepare tomatoes.
>>>
>>>I'm currently reading _Tapas, a Taste of Spain in America_, by José Andrés.
>>>In the book he mentioned removing "fillets" from tomatoes. As we all know, a
>>>tomato is made up of chambers containing seeds and some jelly-like stuff
>>>holding the seeds together. By judicious cutting and scooping, you can
>>>remove each chamber's contents as one lump of seedy goo. That lump is what
>>>is being called the "fillet."
>>>
>>>Has anybody run across the term "tomato fillet" or that technique before? (I
>>>suppose if we're talking about tomato fillets, we must be using BEEFSTEAK
>>>tomatoes!)
>>>
>>>Bob
>>>

>>Interesting! After many years of canning, I can attest that other
>>varieties have just as much tomato fillet as the beefsteak. If you cut
>>the tomato just the right way, and again that is from many years of
>>canning and making salsa, the fillet will just pop out. I've used some
>>of these to provide seeds for the next growing year. The only other
>>source that I've seen use the seeds etc is Michael Smith. He did this
>>thing where the tomatoes were coursely chopped then put into a cheese
>>cloth bag then allowed to drip out the juices.

> I think I saw that episode. I think he said he was making tomato
> water. But I don't remember what he used it for.....Sharon

Yep, something about the golden juice of tomatoes or something to that
effect. I know he hung the tomato mixture in the cheese cloth bag from
a kitchen cabinet handle overnight (?) or at least several hours. Then
he used that liquid in another dish. I'll have to do some digging to
find out what he was making. It escapes me right now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ lied:
> After many years of canning, I can attest that other
> varieties beefsteak.
> I've used some of these to provide seeds for the next growing year.

Sowing seeds from hybrids will result in throwbacks, awful mishapen,
disgusting tomatoes... you're an idiot and a liar.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> ~patches~ lied:
>> After many years of canning, I can attest that other
>> varieties beefsteak.
>> I've used some of these to provide seeds for the next growing year.

> Sowing seeds from hybrids will result in throwbacks, awful mishapen,
> disgusting tomatoes... you're an idiot and a liar.
>
> Sheldon

not always, i've done it with great success
got some lovely, small, intensely flavored romas out of the deal.
perhaps you tried with the wrong kind? Maybe you don't have enough experience
with it?

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee wrote:

> Looking closer I can see the little seeds, or what look like seeds,
> hanging onto the top of the watermelon with a toothpick. It amost looks
> like they have been thickened with arrowroot. This looks like some of the
> disgusting dishes that a chef named Andre some-thing-or-other from Spain
> was making on a Bittman program.

Probably Ferran Adrià; he's prominently named as a mentor of the author of
the cookbook where I ran across this tomato-dissection technique.

> What bothers me most in the videos on the foodgroups when the host visits
> various upper-crust (pun!) kitchens, that the chefs all design the plates
> with their little fingers. I know that they must all do it; they're not
> going to be bothered or their creatiity hindered by gloves or tongs. And I
> suppose the chef always coughs in his sleeve.

Great Julia Child quote: "It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you
know someone's fingers have been all over it."

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
>
>>~patches~ lied:
>>
>>>After many years of canning, I can attest that other
>>>varieties beefsteak.
>>>I've used some of these to provide seeds for the next growing year.

>>Sowing seeds from hybrids will result in throwbacks, awful mishapen,
>>disgusting tomatoes... you're an idiot and a liar.
>>
>>Sheldon
>>

> not always, i've done it with great success
> got some lovely, small, intensely flavored romas out of the deal.
> perhaps you tried with the wrong kind? Maybe you don't have enough experience
> with it?

Who said I was seeding hybrids? The branywines I grow are a heritage as
in not a hyprid stock as are my beefsteaks and romas. I'm not certain
about my sweeties but from what I can find on them they are not hybrids
either. I use the sfg method. I prefer heritage strains for most
vegetables for a variety of reasons including being able to keep the
seeds for the next season. None of my herbs are hybrids either. Shelly
is blowing it out his ass again with absolutely no knowledge as to what
is really happening here. My gardens speak for themselves and don't
need some monkey like Shelly trying to speak for them

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ms_peacock wrote:

> "itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>

>>Yep, my thoughts 'zackly. Tomato and watermelon? For some reason that
>>just seems a no go.
>>

> I had a tomato watermelon salsa at a hoity-toity place in Colorado Springs
> that was just yummy.

I find it an interesting combination. It's makes for a nice
summer salad. Don't leave out the rum.

Watermelon And Yellow Tomato Salad

Recipe By :Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Salads/Dressings

1 watermelon - (abt 4 lbs) -- preferably seedless
rind removed, cubed into 1" pieces
2 pounds yellow pear tomatoes -- halved
1 lime -- zested and juiced
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice -- from above
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons light rum -- or to taste

Into a bowl, put the cubed watermelon, pear tomatoes, lime zest,
1 tablespoon lime juice, cilantro and rum, and toss to combine.
Chill salad for 15 minutes and serve.

This recipe yields 4 servings.

Source:
"COOKING LIVE with Sara Moulton - (Show # CL-9717) - from the TV FOOD
NETWORK"

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Mon 10 Apr 2006 03:42:51a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?
>>
>> > Looks disgusting to me. Tomato goo on watermelon? Ewwww!

>> Yep, disgusting!
>>

> Yep, my thoughts 'zackly. Tomato and watermelon? For some reason that
> just seems a no go.

I had a tomato watermelon salsa at a hoity-toity place in Colorado Springs
that was just yummy.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Reg" > wrote in message
t...
> ms_peacock wrote:
>
>> I had a tomato watermelon salsa at a hoity-toity place in Colorado
>> Springs that was just yummy.

> I find it an interesting combination. It's makes for a nice
> summer salad. Don't leave out the rum.
>

> Watermelon And Yellow Tomato Salad
> Reg

Thanks!! This sounds fairly close to the salsa I had. I'll try it when we
get good watermelons and tomatoes.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:08:49 -0600, "ms_peacock"
> wrote:

>I had a tomato watermelon salsa at a hoity-toity place in Colorado Springs
>that was just yummy.

My friend Jessica makes a tomato-kiwi salsa that nearly brings me to
tears with joy.

serene (I've proposed to her several times over that salsa)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:08:49 -0600, "ms_peacock"
> > wrote:
>
>>I had a tomato watermelon salsa at a hoity-toity place in Colorado Springs
>>that was just yummy.

> My friend Jessica makes a tomato-kiwi salsa that nearly brings me to
> tears with joy.
>
> serene (I've proposed to her several times over that salsa)

Oooooooo, that sounds pretty good too. If she won't marry you maybe you can
get the recipe out of her???

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:32:26 -0600, "ms_peacock"
> wrote:

>"Serene" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:08:49 -0600, "ms_peacock"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I had a tomato watermelon salsa at a hoity-toity place in Colorado Springs
>>>that was just yummy.

>> My friend Jessica makes a tomato-kiwi salsa that nearly brings me to
>> tears with joy.
>>
>> serene (I've proposed to her several times over that salsa)

>Oooooooo, that sounds pretty good too. If she won't marry you maybe you can
>get the recipe out of her???

I used to have it, but I lost it. I've asked her to resupply it. Best
thing EVER.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:05:36 -0700, Serene >
wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:32:26 -0600, "ms_peacock"
> wrote:
>

>>"Serene" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> My friend Jessica makes a tomato-kiwi salsa that nearly brings me to
>>> tears with joy.
>>>
>>> serene (I've proposed to her several times over that salsa)

>>Oooooooo, that sounds pretty good too. If she won't marry you maybe you can
>>get the recipe out of her???

>I used to have it, but I lost it. I've asked her to resupply it. Best
>thing EVER.

Here it is. Notes are hers:

Tomato-kiwi Salsa

6 kiwi fruit
6 tomatoes (romas work well)
fresh cilantro bunch
half of a small red onion
juice of one fresh lime
salt

Chop up the kiwis, tomatoes and onion into small dice (be sure to peel
the kiwis first ;-P ) Stir together. Chop cilantro and add as much or
as little as you like (I usually add a lot, as in about half the
bunch). Half lime and squeeze juice into mixure and stir. taste--if it
is limey enough no need to add more--if you like more citrus add the
juice of the rest of the lime. Salt to taste.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

serene (Sandra Vannoy) wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:05:36 -0700, Serene >
> wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:32:26 -0600, "ms_peacock"
> wrote:

>>>Oooooooo, that sounds pretty good too. If she won't marry you maybe you can
>>>get the recipe out of her???

>>I used to have it, but I lost it. I've asked her to resupply it. Best
>>thing EVER.

> Here it is. Notes are hers:
>
> Tomato-kiwi Salsa
>
> 6 kiwi fruit
> 6 tomatoes (romas work well)
> fresh cilantro bunch
> half of a small red onion
> juice of one fresh lime
> salt
>
> Chop up the kiwis, tomatoes and onion into small dice (be sure to peel
> the kiwis first ;-P ) Stir together. Chop cilantro and add as much or
> as little as you like (I usually add a lot, as in about half the
> bunch). Half lime and squeeze juice into mixure and stir. taste--if it
> is limey enough no need to add more--if you like more citrus add the
> juice of the rest of the lime. Salt to taste.
>
> Serene

I am trying to mentally taste this and am having trouble imagining the
flavor. So I must try the recipe. Not a bad thing.

However, don't you think replacing the kiwis by watermelon woudl be
better?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 23:16:59 +0200, jake >
wrote:

[kiwi salsa]

>I am trying to mentally taste this and am having trouble imagining the
>flavor. So I must try the recipe. Not a bad thing.

Yep. Sounds weird. Tastes heavenly.

>However, don't you think replacing the kiwis by watermelon woudl be
>better?

Honestly, I think you'd need more lime juice or other acidic thing
then. Kiwis have a sourness to them.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"serene (Sandra Vannoy)" wrote:

> >However, don't you think replacing the kiwis by watermelon woudl be
> >better?

> Honestly, I think you'd need more lime juice or other acidic thing
> then. Kiwis have a sourness to them.

I always think of Kiwis as tasting somewhat like strawberries.