Putting frozen steaks on the grill?

Old 01-04-2006, 06:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Putting frozen steaks on the grill?

We bought 25 pounds of steaks this week. The guy said to just put the
frozen steaks on a hot grill, 3 minutes per side, and then cook them
to taste.

I'm a little skeptical of this...I've always thawed my meat before
grilling.

Any comments on this?
Old 01-04-2006, 07:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote in
:

I'm a little skeptical of this...I've always thawed my meat before
grilling.

Any comments on this?

Room temperature food cooks quicker, frozen food cooks slower. If it's a
thin cut, then from freezer to grill to plate in 3 mins per side, would be
possible, but anything thicker than maybe 1/4" I'd be skeptical.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

We bought 25 pounds of steaks this week. The guy said to just put the
frozen steaks on a hot grill, 3 minutes per side, and then cook them
to taste.

I'm a little skeptical of this...I've always thawed my meat before
grilling.

Lots of restaurants cook frozen steaks. It works fine if they are thin. I
wouldn't try it with a nice thick steak.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
" wrote:

We bought 25 pounds of steaks this week. The guy said to just put the
frozen steaks on a hot grill, 3 minutes per side, and then cook them
to taste.

I'm a little skeptical of this...I've always thawed my meat before
grilling.

Any comments on this?

I've done frozen steaks in the contact grill, but it's iffee IMHO.

I get better results when the steaks are thawed and at room temp.
--
Peace, Om.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 17:48:33 GMT,
" wrote:

We bought 25 pounds of steaks this week. The guy said to just put the
frozen steaks on a hot grill, 3 minutes per side, and then cook them
to taste.

I'm a little skeptical of this...I've always thawed my meat before
grilling.

Any comments on this?

I've grilled frozen steaks before and like doing it that way because I
like my steak charred on the outside and very rare on the inside.
However, I don't freeze them anymore. I just buy what I'm going to
eat in the next day or two.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

We bought 25 pounds of steaks this week. The guy said to just put the
frozen steaks on a hot grill, 3 minutes per side, and then cook them
to taste.

I'm a little skeptical of this...I've always thawed my meat before
grilling.

Any comments on this?

I've done this a time or two when there wasn't time to thaw, but it's tricky
if they are fairly thick. If you put thick ones on high heat (sear factor)
then you may overcook the outside, and still have cold or even frozen
insides. If you do on lower heat... well we know what that can do. So if
thin, no problem, if thick, thaw if possible.

Larry T

Old 01-04-2006, 09:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
"Mitch wrote:

We bought 25 pounds of steaks this week. The guy said to just put the
frozen steaks on a hot grill, 3 minutes per side, and then cook them
to taste.

I'm a little skeptical of this...I've always thawed my meat before
grilling.

Any comments on this?

I've grilled frozen steaks before and like doing it that way because I
like my steak charred on the outside and very rare on the inside.
However, I don't freeze them anymore. I just buy what I'm going to
eat in the next day or two.

Excellent, one should never freeze tender beef, steaks or roasts. I
won't freeze chuck steaks that I intend to grill either, not even
ground beef, especially not ground beef. The only beef that should be
frozen is that which is going to be stewed/braised.

Sheldon

Old 01-04-2006, 11:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 17:48:33 GMT,
" wrote:

We bought 25 pounds of steaks this week. The guy said to just put the
frozen steaks on a hot grill, 3 minutes per side, and then cook them
to taste.

I'm a little skeptical of this...I've always thawed my meat before
grilling.

Any comments on this?

While a senior in high school, I was a fry cook at the MSP airport
coffee shop. All of our steaks were grilled from frozen. Never had
any complaints.

Peace,
Carol
Old 01-04-2006, 11:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Apr 2006 12:28:43 -0800, Sheldon wrote:

sf wrote:
"Mitch wrote:

We bought 25 pounds of steaks this week. The guy said to just put the
frozen steaks on a hot grill, 3 minutes per side, and then cook them
to taste.

I'm a little skeptical of this...I've always thawed my meat before
grilling.

Any comments on this?

I've grilled frozen steaks before and like doing it that way because I
like my steak charred on the outside and very rare on the inside.
However, I don't freeze them anymore. I just buy what I'm going to
eat in the next day or two.

Excellent, one should never freeze tender beef, steaks or roasts. I
won't freeze chuck steaks that I intend to grill either, not even
ground beef, especially not ground beef. The only beef that should be
frozen is that which is going to be stewed/braised.

Hubby really notices the difference between a frozen, thawed steak and
one that hasn't been after they are cooked. My taste isn't that
refined. Serve it to me bloody rare and I'll wolf it down -
previously frozen or not.