Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default School Cafeteria Recipes - Comfort or Discomfort Food?

I found a website that has USDA school cafeteria recipes. Remember
school cafeteria carrot-raisin salad, cornbread, chili, pizza? In some
cases it was comfort food and in others it was discomfort food. Some of
the recipes look better than when I was in elementary school mumble
years ago. At least I don't see any recipes for gelatin with vegetables
or fruit embedded in it. The recipes are in PDF format and are for 50
and 100 servings. Do you need 100-servings of carrot-raisin salad? At
least Mastercook will scale them down.

Here is the URL to the recipe list. You will need to have Adope Acrobat
Reader installed in order to view the recipes. Right click on the
recipe title to save it to you hard disk.

http://www.nfsmi.org/Information/sch...dex_alpha.html

Here is a list of some of the recipes:

Apple Cobbler
Apple Crisp
Apple-Honey Crisp
Applesauce Cake
Arroz con Queso (Rice with Cheese)
Baked Beans (Using Canned Vegetarian Beans)
Baked Cajun Fish
Baked Fish Scandia

Baked French Toast Strips
Baked Sweet Potatoes and Apples
Baking Powder Biscuits
Banana Bread Squares
Barbecued Beef or Pork on Roll (Using Canned Meats)
Barbecued Chicken
Barbeque Sauce
Bean Burrito
Bean Soup
Bean Taco
Beef and Bean Tamale Pie
Beef or Pork Burrito
Beef or Pork Burrito (Using Canned Meats)
Beef or Pork Taco
Beef or Pork Taco (Using Canned Meats)
Beef Shepherds Pie
Beef Stew
Beef Stir-Fry
Beef Taco Pie
Beef Tamale Pie
Beef Vegetable Soup
Bottom Pastry Crust (Sheet Pans)
Bread Stuffing
Breakfast Burrito with Salsa
Broccoli Salad
Broccoli, Cheese, and Rice Casserole
Brown Bread
Brown Gravy
Brown Rice Pilaf
etc., etc., etc.

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Rusty" > wrote:
> years ago. At least I don't see any recipes for gelatin with vegetables
> or fruit embedded in it. The recipes are in PDF format and are for 50

> -Rusty

Hey, hey, hey!! Careful there!
http://www.nfsmi.org/Information/sch...cipes/C-11.pdf
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-30-2006 Enchiladas for Two

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Rusty" > wrote:
> > years ago. At least I don't see any recipes for gelatin with vegetables
> > or fruit embedded in it. The recipes are in PDF format and are for 50

> > -Rusty

> Hey, hey, hey!! Careful there!
> http://www.nfsmi.org/Information/sch...cipes/C-11.pdf
> --
> -Barb

Yuk! It's a recipe titled, "Orange-Pineapple Gelatin" with bits of
pineapple and chopped nuts.

I missed that. Now that's a clear case of child abuse.

;-)

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Rusty wrote:
> I found a website that has USDA school cafeteria recipes. Remember
> school cafeteria carrot-raisin salad, cornbread, chili, pizza? In some
> cases it was comfort food and in others it was discomfort food. Some of
> the recipes look better than when I was in elementary school mumble
> years ago. [snip]

When I was in high school I worked for two years in the kitchen that
served the elementary and high school cafeteria. The menus started out
standardized but changed as the school year passed because the
availability of ingredients never kept to the plan. This was a small
isolated town in Alaska with problematic freight deliveries in the
winter. So I learned (by observation) about improvising around set
menus. Looking back at it I remember three lessons learned: the cooks
tasted as they went along, even things they'd made many times before
according to the same recipe; the needs of producing in volume forces
compromises that you have to make the best of -- steam tables are not a
good thing; and practicing knife skills is fun. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rusty wrote:
> Here is a list of some of the recipes:
>
> Apple Cobbler
> Apple Crisp
> Apple-Honey Crisp
> Applesauce Cake
> Arroz con Queso (Rice with Cheese)
> Baked Beans (Using Canned Vegetarian Beans)
> Baked Cajun Fish
> Baked Fish Scandia
>
> Baked French Toast Strips
> Baked Sweet Potatoes and Apples
> Baking Powder Biscuits
> Banana Bread Squares
> Barbecued Beef or Pork on Roll (Using Canned Meats)
> Barbecued Chicken
> Barbeque Sauce
> Bean Burrito
> Bean Soup
> Bean Taco
> Beef and Bean Tamale Pie
> Beef or Pork Burrito
> Beef or Pork Burrito (Using Canned Meats)
> Beef or Pork Taco
> Beef or Pork Taco (Using Canned Meats)
> Beef Shepherds Pie
> Beef Stew
> Beef Stir-Fry
> Beef Taco Pie
> Beef Tamale Pie
> Beef Vegetable Soup
> Bottom Pastry Crust (Sheet Pans)
> Bread Stuffing
> Breakfast Burrito with Salsa
> Broccoli Salad
> Broccoli, Cheese, and Rice Casserole
> Brown Bread
> Brown Gravy
> Brown Rice Pilaf
> etc., etc., etc.
>
> -Rusty

Discomfort, definitely! Boy, I don't know what school(s) those came from,
but back in my day the cafeteria food consisted of some sort of mystery meat
in brown gravy; rice or mashed potatoes, some sort of vegetable (obviously
canned). They had (obviously from frozen) hamburgers and limp crinkle-cut
french fries. I think the "dessert" was Jell-O and/or pudding.

There were no soups or stews; there were no stir-fry type things and I don't
remember any bread other than the buns those frozen burgers came on. Oh,
maybe white bread if you wanted a pimiento-cheese sandwich.

Each day they did have some sort of "special", like tacos, which resembled
tacos made from an Old El Paso dinner kit - pre-made so you didn't get to
choose what toppings you might want (or not want) on them. Or (from frozen)
battered fish fillets accompanied by those limp crinkle-cut fries.

I never ate in the school cafeteria; I brown-bagged it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rusty" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I found a website that has USDA school cafeteria recipes. Remember
> school cafeteria carrot-raisin salad, cornbread, chili, pizza? In some
> cases it was comfort food and in others it was discomfort food. Some of
> the recipes look better than when I was in elementary school mumble
> years ago. At least I don't see any recipes for gelatin with vegetables
> or fruit embedded in it. The recipes are in PDF format and are for 50
> and 100 servings. Do you need 100-servings of carrot-raisin salad? At
> least Mastercook will scale them down.
>
> Here is the URL to the recipe list. You will need to have Adope Acrobat
> Reader installed in order to view the recipes. Right click on the
> recipe title to save it to you hard disk.
>
> http://www.nfsmi.org/Information/sch...dex_alpha.html
>
> Here is a list of some of the recipes:
>
> Apple Cobbler
> Apple Crisp
> Apple-Honey Crisp
> Applesauce Cake
> Arroz con Queso (Rice with Cheese)
> Baked Beans (Using Canned Vegetarian Beans)
> Baked Cajun Fish
> Baked Fish Scandia
>
> Baked French Toast Strips
> Baked Sweet Potatoes and Apples
> Baking Powder Biscuits
> Banana Bread Squares
> Barbecued Beef or Pork on Roll (Using Canned Meats)
> Barbecued Chicken
> Barbeque Sauce
> Bean Burrito
> Bean Soup
> Bean Taco
> Beef and Bean Tamale Pie
> Beef or Pork Burrito
> Beef or Pork Burrito (Using Canned Meats)
> Beef or Pork Taco
> Beef or Pork Taco (Using Canned Meats)
> Beef Shepherds Pie
> Beef Stew
> Beef Stir-Fry
> Beef Taco Pie
> Beef Tamale Pie
> Beef Vegetable Soup
> Bottom Pastry Crust (Sheet Pans)
> Bread Stuffing
> Breakfast Burrito with Salsa
> Broccoli Salad
> Broccoli, Cheese, and Rice Casserole
> Brown Bread
> Brown Gravy
> Brown Rice Pilaf
> etc., etc., etc.
>
> -Rusty

Judging from the list above, these weren't from my years in grade school.
We'd never heard of burritos or tacos or stir-fry or tamales. Or Cajun
anything.

What I remember were fish sticks with mac 'n cheese, meatloaf with mashed
potatoes, spaghetti that wasn't too bad, and ravioli from a can, which I
thought was terribly exotic. The only oriental fare was something they
called beef chop suey, which was beef stew meat and oriental veggies
(canned, I'm sure) with some soy sauce. It was heavy on the bean sprouts,
served with a scoop of white rice, and wasn't too bad, considering. Fridays
were always meatless, even though it was a public school.

The hamburgers were weird. Just an odd taste. Maybe it was terminal freezer
burn or something. Enough ketchup, and it improved, but they were definitely
odd.

Sometimes, on very rare occasions, we got pizza. Maybe once or twice a year.

Around Thanksgiving, we always got "turkey dinner." Why they called it
dinner, I don't know.

Spaghetti always came with a weird side dish. Something that didn't match.
Like mashed potatoes or something like that. I think it had something to do
with the formula they had to use when creating a meal.

Ah, memories....

(burp)

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rusty" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article . com>,
> > "Rusty" > wrote:
> > > years ago. At least I don't see any recipes for gelatin with

vegetables
> > > or fruit embedded in it. The recipes are in PDF format and are for 50

> > > -Rusty

> > Hey, hey, hey!! Careful there!
> > http://www.nfsmi.org/Information/sch...cipes/C-11.pdf
> > --
> > -Barb

> Yuk! It's a recipe titled, "Orange-Pineapple Gelatin" with bits of
> pineapple and chopped nuts.
>
> I missed that. Now that's a clear case of child abuse.
>
> ;-)
>
> -Rusty

In my area it was billed as Jell-O Supreme.
No matter the Jell-O flavor nor fruit, it was always topped with a
teaspoonful of mayonnaise and a half cherry.
It is a credit to those ladies who fed all the children on what the
government food commodities
program sent.
A gruff WW II Supply Sergeant would bow to their craft & creativeness.
If you want child abuse in that era, just smart off at one and see what
happened
when Momma found out.....DAMHIK....

Hubert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rusty" > wrote in news:1143912157.836149.140010
@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

> Yuk! It's a recipe titled, "Orange-Pineapple Gelatin" with bits of
> pineapple and chopped nuts.
>
> I missed that. Now that's a clear case of child abuse.

Sounds decent, tho I'm not fond of orange Jello
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rusty" > wrote in news:1143910470.525107.24820
@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

> I found a website that has USDA school cafeteria recipes.

Good link. I'm about to start Cullinary school in a few weeks, and
actually, unlike a lot of people who go that route probably, my goal is
to work in a school/daycare or retirement home setting. Seems like it'd
be more rewarding than say at a fancy resturant to me, even if hte pay
isn't as good. Some of those could also be useful if I can swing
things next summer to maybe take over the Wednesday night dinners @ my
church.

> Do you need 100-servings of carrot-raisin salad? At
> least Mastercook will scale them down.

But will it scale them properly? Just halfing or quartering the recipe
isn't always the way to do it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Rusty" > wrote:
(snip)
> > > years ago. At least I don't see any recipes for gelatin with vegetables
> > > or fruit embedded in it. The recipes are in PDF format and are for 50

> > > -Rusty

> > Hey, hey, hey!! Careful there!
> > http://www.nfsmi.org/Information/sch...cipes/C-11.pdf
> > --
> > -Barb

> Yuk! It's a recipe titled, "Orange-Pineapple Gelatin" with bits of
> pineapple and chopped nuts.

And your point is what?

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-30-2006 Enchiladas for Two

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I developed a deep-seated hatred of salmon after being served salmon
salad sandwiches on Fridays, alternating with tuna salad, peanut
butter, and grilled cheese sandwiches. Back in the old days, Roman
Catholics weren't allowed to eat meat on *any* Fridays.

I loved the hamburger gravy with mashed potatoes and corn. All
stirred together. Crash and I do this with meatloaf instead of
hamburger gravy. The effect is pretty much the same.

I remember huge sheets of cornbread, covered with a thick layer of
butter and spread with honey.

Also plain bread smeared with a couple tablespoons of butter per
slice. Made them stick to the ceiling better. I don't like unmelted
butter to this day.

Can't remember anything else right offhand.

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Rusty" > wrote:
> (snip)

> > > Hey, hey, hey!! Careful there!
> > > http://www.nfsmi.org/Information/sch...cipes/C-11.pdf
> > > --
> > > -Barb

> > Yuk! It's a recipe titled, "Orange-Pineapple Gelatin" with bits of
> > pineapple and chopped nuts.

> And your point is what?
>
> --
> -Barb

After being forced to eat green jello with shredded cabbage and carrots
floating in it or red jello with flavorless crunchy fruit cocktail
floating in it as a child, I don't find that recipe to be very
appealing.

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Rusty" > wrote:
> After being forced to eat green jello with shredded cabbage and carrots
> floating in it or red jello with flavorless crunchy fruit cocktail
> floating in it as a child, I don't find that recipe to be very
> appealing.
>
> -Rusty

You and countless others, Rusty. :-)
We had green jello with celery and shredded carrots -- I don't think Mom
used cabbage in it. Gotta have a dollop of mayo on top. I always found
it refreshing. Orange jello had carrots with the mayo on top, I
liked that, too. Haven't made it in years. Maybe for Easter.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-30-2006 Enchiladas for Two

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Rusty" > wrote:
>
>>After being forced to eat green jello with shredded cabbage and carrots
>>floating in it or red jello with flavorless crunchy fruit cocktail
>>floating in it as a child, I don't find that recipe to be very
>>appealing.
>>
>>-Rusty

> You and countless others, Rusty. :-)
> We had green jello with celery and shredded carrots -- I don't think Mom
> used cabbage in it. Gotta have a dollop of mayo on top. I always found
> it refreshing. Orange jello had carrots with the mayo on top, I
> liked that, too. Haven't made it in years. Maybe for Easter.

Lime jello with mandarin orange sections, crushed pineapple, and
chunks of grapefruit.
No topping needed.

'wyrm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-04-01, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>> Yuk! It's a recipe titled, "Orange-Pineapple Gelatin" with bits of
>> pineapple and chopped nuts.

> And your point is what?

Really! Sounds pretty tasty to me. Of course I'm a Jell-O nut.
Never did get tired of lime Jell-O w/ cottage cheese.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-04-02, Bookwyrm > wrote:

> Lime jello with mandarin orange sections, crushed pineapple, and
> chunks of grapefruit.

Yeah, but walnuts would be killer.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-04-01, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
> I developed a deep-seated hatred of salmon after being served salmon
> salad sandwiches on Fridays

I'm with you on that one, D. Not exactly hatred, but too many canned
salmon patties as a kid kept me far away for years. Wasn't till I was
about 30 that I actually tasted fresh grilled salmon, which changed my
life. But recently, as an experiment, I bought 2-3 cans of salmon and
using my killer tuna fish salad recipe, I made sandwiches. YUCKO!
Canned salmon just don't get it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 22:10:25 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>On 2006-04-01, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>> I developed a deep-seated hatred of salmon after being served salmon
>> salad sandwiches on Fridays

>I'm with you on that one, D. Not exactly hatred, but too many canned
>salmon patties as a kid kept me far away for years. Wasn't till I was
>about 30 that I actually tasted fresh grilled salmon, which changed my
>life. But recently, as an experiment, I bought 2-3 cans of salmon and
>using my killer tuna fish salad recipe, I made sandwiches. YUCKO!
>Canned salmon just don't get it.

The only way I can stomach salmon is if it's heat-smoked. Crash makes
some great smoked salmon!! I've given honest tries to cold-smoked and
grilled salmon. No go. Although in general, I don't like my fish to
have any flavor of its own. ;o)

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-04-02, Bookwyrm > wrote:
>

>>Lime jello with mandarin orange sections, crushed pineapple, and
>>chunks of grapefruit.

> Yeah, but walnuts would be killer.
>
> nb

No nuts.

'wyrm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> The only way I can stomach salmon is if it's heat-smoked. Crash makes
> some great smoked salmon!! I've given honest tries to cold-smoked and
> grilled salmon. No go. Although in general, I don't like my fish to
> have any flavor of its own. ;o)

Wow. You prefer hot smoked salmon over grilled. Usually it's
the other way around. That's interesting.

I enjoy feeding people smoked fish much more than grilled.
It's more fun to make and really good smoked fish is
harder to come by.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "Rusty" > wrote:
> (snip)

vegetables

50

> > > Hey, hey, hey!! Careful there!
> > > http://www.nfsmi.org/Information/sch...cipes/C-11.pdf
> > > --
> > > -Barb

> > Yuk! It's a recipe titled, "Orange-Pineapple Gelatin" with bits of
> > pineapple and chopped nuts.

> And your point is what?

Actually in the daze before air conditioning something like that was a treat
and a welcome respite from the heat...

It is better though adorned with a layer of cream cheeze or some Cool
Whip...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 05:12:04 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> The only way I can stomach salmon is if it's heat-smoked. Crash makes
>> some great smoked salmon!! I've given honest tries to cold-smoked and
>> grilled salmon. No go. Although in general, I don't like my fish to
>> have any flavor of its own. ;o)

>Wow. You prefer hot smoked salmon over grilled. Usually it's
>the other way around. That's interesting.

I'm a very complex woman. <G>

>I enjoy feeding people smoked fish much more than grilled.
>It's more fun to make and really good smoked fish is
>harder to come by.

And it's a joy to watch the stuff vanish right before your eyes. Means
you did something right.

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2006-04-01, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>> I developed a deep-seated hatred of salmon after being served salmon
>> salad sandwiches on Fridays

> I'm with you on that one, D. Not exactly hatred, but too many canned
> salmon patties as a kid kept me far away for years. Wasn't till I was
> about 30 that I actually tasted fresh grilled salmon, which changed my
> life. But recently, as an experiment, I bought 2-3 cans of salmon and
> using my killer tuna fish salad recipe, I made sandwiches. YUCKO!
> Canned salmon just don't get it.

My favourite way to cook salmon is to roast it plain in the oven and serve
it with steamed new potatos and steamed broccoli with butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote on 01 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> > I developed a deep-seated hatred of salmon after being served salmon
> > salad sandwiches on Fridays

> I'm with you on that one, D. Not exactly hatred, but too many canned
> salmon patties as a kid kept me far away for years. Wasn't till I was
> about 30 that I actually tasted fresh grilled salmon, which changed my
> life. But recently, as an experiment, I bought 2-3 cans of salmon and
> using my killer tuna fish salad recipe, I made sandwiches. YUCKO!
> Canned salmon just don't get it.
>
> nb

I don't go the Mayo or Miracle Whip route with canned salmon.

I just mash up the salmon with a tad of white vinegar...spread on 1 slice
of buttered bread cover with a lettuce leaf and add 1 more slice of
buttered bread.

I prefer canned salmon to canned tuna.

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Marcella Peek" > wrote in message

> School in Colorado had great cafeteria food. The favorite lunch was
> chili with a cinnamon roll and salad on the side. Then we moved to
> California where I have never had such horrible food. The kids raved
> over the pizza (the nasty pourable crust kind apparently with cooked
> hamburger and cheese on top) Horrible. Cured me of eating cafeteria
> food quickly!
>
> marcella

The high school I went to in Colorado served Krautburgers. Nearly every kid
ate the lunch on Krautburger day. I think the second most popular day was
chili and cinnamon roll day. We still have cinnamon rolls with chili.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . net>,
"Gregory Morrow"
<gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote:
(snippage)
> > > Yuk! It's a recipe titled, "Orange-Pineapple Gelatin" with bits of
> > > pineapple and chopped nuts.

> > And your point is what?

> Actually in the daze before air conditioning something like that was a treat
> and a welcome respite from the heat...
>
> It is better though adorned with a layer of cream cheeze or some Cool
> Whip...

See? I think Rusty may have thought I was being more serious with my
"and your point is what?" than I was.

Cream cheese on top would still, in my book, let it qualify as a sald,
but as soon as you put Cool Whip on top, you gotcherself a dessert. ;-)
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-30-2006 Enchiladas for Two

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I remember sloppy joes and tater tots fondly but hated chicken chow
mein and anything to do with orange or lime jello.

Interesting memories, thanks. Shana

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, notbob > said:
> On 2006-04-01, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> > I developed a deep-seated hatred of salmon after being served salmon
> > salad sandwiches on Fridays

> I'm with you on that one, D. Not exactly hatred, but too many canned
> salmon patties as a kid kept me far away for years. Wasn't till I was
> about 30 that I actually tasted fresh grilled salmon, which changed my
> life. But recently, as an experiment, I bought 2-3 cans of salmon and
> using my killer tuna fish salad recipe, I made sandwiches. YUCKO!
> Canned salmon just don't get it.

That's funny, because after years of being exposed to fresh salmon
(and tons of other seafood), about the only way I like it is canned
and made into patties...

--
jj - rfc (Jani) in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jj - rfc" > wrote in message
> One time on Usenet, notbob > said:
>> On 2006-04-01, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

>> > I developed a deep-seated hatred of salmon after being served salmon
>> > salad sandwiches on Fridays

>> I'm with you on that one, D. Not exactly hatred, but too many canned
>> salmon patties as a kid kept me far away for years. Wasn't till I was
>> about 30 that I actually tasted fresh grilled salmon, which changed my
>> life. But recently, as an experiment, I bought 2-3 cans of salmon and
>> using my killer tuna fish salad recipe, I made sandwiches. YUCKO!
>> Canned salmon just don't get it.

> That's funny, because after years of being exposed to fresh salmon
> (and tons of other seafood), about the only way I like it is canned
> and made into patties...

I never had salmon patties in school, but my mother made them sometimes. I
just made a batch recently, just to see if I still liked them. Odd thing is
that I recall eating them with ketchup. Maybe I'm hallucinating that part.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 02 Apr 2006 02:44:40p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it D.Currie?

> "jj - rfc" > wrote in message
>> One time on Usenet, notbob > said:

>>> I'm with you on that one, D. Not exactly hatred, but too many canned
>>> salmon patties as a kid kept me far away for years. Wasn't till I was
>>> about 30 that I actually tasted fresh grilled salmon, which changed my
>>> life. But recently, as an experiment, I bought 2-3 cans of salmon and
>>> using my killer tuna fish salad recipe, I made sandwiches. YUCKO!
>>> Canned salmon just don't get it.

>> That's funny, because after years of being exposed to fresh salmon
>> (and tons of other seafood), about the only way I like it is canned
>> and made into patties...
>>

> I never had salmon patties in school, but my mother made them sometimes.
> I just made a batch recently, just to see if I still liked them. Odd
> thing is that I recall eating them with ketchup. Maybe I'm hallucinating
> that part.

Ditto, the only salmon patties I had ever eaten were those my mother made
and they were excellent. She served them with a white sauce containing
chopped cucumber and fresh dill. I occasionally make them that way for
myself. I occasionally will order salmon croquettes in a local restaurant,
and they are served with a white sauce containing green peas. I don't like
any fish preprepared with or served with tomato products.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 15:44:40 -0600, D.Currie wrote:

> I never had salmon patties in school, but my mother made them sometimes. I
> just made a batch recently, just to see if I still liked them. Odd thing is
> that I recall eating them with ketchup. Maybe I'm hallucinating that part.

They were served with ketchup in my house as well.

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article . net>,
> "Gregory Morrow"
> <gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote:
> (snippage)
> > >
> > > And your point is what?

> > Actually in the daze before air conditioning something like that was a treat
> > and a welcome respite from the heat...
> >
> > It is better though adorned with a layer of cream cheeze or some Cool
> > Whip...

> See? I think Rusty may have thought I was being more serious with my
> "and your point is what?" than I was.
>
> Cream cheese on top would still, in my book, let it qualify as a sald,
> but as soon as you put Cool Whip on top, you gotcherself a dessert. ;-)
> --
> -Barb

Who? Me? ;-)

8*}

Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Yeff" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 15:44:40 -0600, D.Currie wrote:
>
>> I never had salmon patties in school, but my mother made them sometimes.
>> just made a batch recently, just to see if I still liked them. Odd thing
>> is
>> that I recall eating them with ketchup. Maybe I'm hallucinating that
>> part.

> They were served with ketchup in my house as well.
>
> --
>
> -Jeff B.
> zoomie at fastmail dot fm

I get a craving for salmon patties once in awhile and they're still served
with ketchup in my house. They're one of only 4 things I actually eat
ketchup on.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

ms_peacock wrote:

> I get a craving for salmon patties once in awhile and they're still served
> with ketchup in my house. They're one of only 4 things I actually eat
> ketchup on.

Try them with chili sauce and you can cut that number to 3.. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Rusty" > wrote:
> > After being forced to eat green jello with shredded cabbage and carrots
> > floating in it

> You and countless others, Rusty. :-)
> We had green jello with celery and shredded carrots -- I don't think Mom
> used cabbage in it.

We had orange jello with shredded cabbage and carrots, chopped celery,
and crushed pineapple. It sounds awful, but I loved it as a child, and
would make it again but the DH would probably rush me to the ER to have
my head examined (he's neither a fan of jello nor cabbage).

I also loved the molded jello salad with lime jello, cream cheese,
crushed pineapple, marachino cherries and walnuts. Hmmmmm.....maybe it
would be worth a quick trip to the ER....

Sandy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> ms_peacock wrote:
>>
>> I get a craving for salmon patties once in awhile and they're still
>> served
>> with ketchup in my house. They're one of only 4 things I actually eat
>> ketchup on.

> Try them with chili sauce and you can cut that number to 3.. -aem

LOL, ya know, that does sound even better. I'll put chili sauce on the
grocery list right next to canned salmon.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>I developed a deep-seated hatred of salmon after being served salmon
> salad sandwiches on Fridays, alternating with tuna salad, peanut
> butter, and grilled cheese sandwiches. Back in the old days, Roman
> Catholics weren't allowed to eat meat on *any* Fridays.
>
> I loved the hamburger gravy with mashed potatoes and corn. All
> stirred together. Crash and I do this with meatloaf instead of
> hamburger gravy. The effect is pretty much the same.
>
> I remember huge sheets of cornbread, covered with a thick layer of
> butter and spread with honey.
>
> Also plain bread smeared with a couple tablespoons of butter per
> slice. Made them stick to the ceiling better. I don't like unmelted
> butter to this day.
>
> Can't remember anything else right offhand.
>
> Peace,
> Carol

==========

COMFORT!! From grade school to high school - we always had GREAT food. The
rolls were legendary!! Chicken and dumplings were to die for... The canned
collard greens w/turnips were actually good and OH MY STARS - the Bread
Pudding!!!!!!!!!! It's amazing that I wasn't over 300 pounds... Even the
tater tots were good. Pizza was mediocre but who cares - the rest of the
stuff was so good. I will never forget this... grade school - they had this
salad dressing that was incredible. Celery Seed vinegrette. WOW!!

Yeah... good stuff!

--
Syssi