Different Brand Oatmeal Flakes

Old 31-03-2006, 08:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Different Brand Oatmeal Flakes

This is Old Wessex that I bought at Wegman's
http://tinypic.com/so0j0k.jpg
Irish on the left; Scottish on the right

Here is a picture of the two compared in jars
http://tinypic.com/so0ih3.jpg
Irish on the left; Scottish on the right

Here is a picture of the two compared outside of jars
You can't tell much difference on a piece of paper; but in the jar you can
see that there is a lot of the Irish oats broken up, whereas the Scottish
flakes are pretty well intact.
Irish on the left; Scottish on the right
http://tinypic.com/so0i8i.jpg

We had Irish yesterday and Scottish today.
As indicated by the pictures, the texture (with closely-copied cooking) of
the Irish was mushey, and the Scottish retained the flakes.

Was fun to do,
Dee Dee

Old 31-03-2006, 08:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

The Irish ones look a little more like flakes. I have noticed differences in
cooking times between different brands and batches of rolled oats.

I like mine chewy so I MW water to boiling then add oats for a 2 1/2 minute
MW cook (add chopped walnuts, sugar, milk to eat.) Sometimes it only takes a
little over 2 minutes for the same result with a restaurant-supply brand I
buy.
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Old 31-03-2006, 09:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lefty" wrote in message
[...]

Like mine chewy, too. Here's the way we do flakes.

Bring water to boil while adding dried blueberries, raspberries or
blueberries, seeds and/or nuts; when water boils add oat flakes (or
combination of barley, oats and rye) and turn off heat and let sit until
ready to eat.

Put in bowl yogurt or heated coconut milk, flax & wheat germ, ground
almonds, and the cookedcereal. I add honey to my bowl, DH doesn't.
That's breakfast! Easy and fast.

Same thing for steel cut, except we boil it for 10 minutes, after an
all-night soak.
Dee Dee

Old 31-03-2006, 09:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Same thing for steel cut, except we boil it for 10 minutes, after an
all-night soak.
Dee Dee

What I do is add one or two tablespoons of the steel cut (not soaked) to the
flakes and just cook with the flakes for a little chewiness. Occasionally
I'll add a T. or so of a 7 or 9 grain cereal to oats, but I like the oats
taste over-all.

I have tried other ways but if it turns out mushy at all or any malty kind
of flavor it goes into the trash. So I stick to my tried and true timing
with only a dash of extras added if at all.

I like chopped walnuts. I tried toasting them but, again, it makes the oats
taste toasted --not good IMO.

Old 31-03-2006, 10:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lefty" wrote in message

Same thing for steel cut, except we boil it for 10 minutes, after an
all-night soak.
Dee Dee

What I do is add one or two tablespoons of the steel cut (not soaked) to
the
flakes and just cook with the flakes for a little chewiness. Occasionally
I'll add a T. or so of a 7 or 9 grain cereal to oats, but I like the oats
taste over-all.

I have tried other ways but if it turns out mushy at all or any malty kind
of flavor it goes into the trash. So I stick to my tried and true timing
with only a dash of extras added if at all.

I like chopped walnuts. I tried toasting them but, again, it makes the
oats
taste toasted --not good IMO.

Country Choice oatmeal has "Toasted Flakes."
Me -- I prefer oats only; not barley or rye added, but DH likes this
combination. We have it occasionally, just for a change.
Dee Dee

Japanese pancakes with dancing fish flakes. jake General Cooking 10 13-02-2006 08:30 PM
Japanese Pancakes with flying fish flakes jake General Cooking 0 11-02-2006 11:23 PM
Fish 'n Flakes Duckie Recipes 0 16-10-2005 06:28 PM
substitution all bran / natural bran / bran flakes Q occupant General Cooking 10 18-08-2004 01:20 PM