Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Late Garlic Dinner Tonight

I managed to putter a bit in the garden today, nothing heavy or
demanding as I can't do that but I was surprised at how many little
things I got done including planting a few pots. The fresh air and sun
felt wonderful but now I'm tired. Dinner is late tonight so I'm making
- tossed salad, garlic jumbo shrimp and sauteed mushrooms topping
spaghettini in a garlic sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote on 3/27/2006:

<snip>

> Dinner is late tonight so I'm making
> - tossed salad, garlic jumbo shrimp and sauteed mushrooms topping
> spaghettini in a garlic sauce.

I see you occasionally say that dinner tonight is "late". About what
time do you mean by "late"?

For myself, I prefer dinner to start between 7:30 to 8:00 pm. A
partially grudging compromise would be 7:00 pm. I run across quite a
few people who tell me that they eat dinner at 6:00 pm or even 5:00 pm.
Without wanting to be overdramatic, dinner at 5:00 pm would be
depressing to me.

I guess we all have our little clocks in our heads.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KevinS" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> ~patches~ wrote on 3/27/2006:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Dinner is late tonight so I'm making
>> - tossed salad, garlic jumbo shrimp and sauteed mushrooms topping
>> spaghettini in a garlic sauce.

> I see you occasionally say that dinner tonight is "late". About what
> time do you mean by "late"?
>
> For myself, I prefer dinner to start between 7:30 to 8:00 pm. A
> partially grudging compromise would be 7:00 pm. I run across quite a
> few people who tell me that they eat dinner at 6:00 pm or even 5:00 pm.
> Without wanting to be overdramatic, dinner at 5:00 pm would be
> depressing to me.

So, what time do you eat supper then? ;>)
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote on 3/27/2006:

> So, what time do you eat supper then? ;>)
> Dee Dee

Do you mean "supper" as opposed to "dinner"? I think I've seen threads
about "supper" vs. "dinner". I don't use the word "supper". I think of
it as a mid-afternoon large meal that one eats (or used to eat) on a
Sunday or maybe something that farm people eat.

As I said, I've got a little clock in my head. Breakfast is usually
between 9:00 am and 10:00 am and consists one piece of fruit, a pear,
apple, orange or banana. Lunch is around 2:00 pm. Dinner is around 7:30
to 8:00 pm.

And you??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KevinS" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dee Randall wrote on 3/27/2006:
>

>> So, what time do you eat supper then? ;>)
>> Dee Dee

> Do you mean "supper" as opposed to "dinner"? I think I've seen threads
> about "supper" vs. "dinner". I don't use the word "supper". I think of
> it as a mid-afternoon large meal that one eats (or used to eat) on a
> Sunday or maybe something that farm people eat.
>
> As I said, I've got a little clock in my head. Breakfast is usually
> between 9:00 am and 10:00 am and consists one piece of fruit, a pear,
> apple, orange or banana. Lunch is around 2:00 pm. Dinner is around 7:30
> to 8:00 pm.
>
> And you??

I grew up with the words: breakfast, dinner and supper; so I was just
joshing you a little.

But for me and my meal times, there is only one clock in my head and it has
been there as long as I can remember. I'm damned hungry at 4pm in the
afternoon. It doesn't matter whether I have a snack and tea, or a full
meal and wine at that time; as long I get thru that 4pm set time. Then I can
eat later or not at all; snack later or not at all. But 4pm is my
bewitching hour.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"KevinS" > wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote on 3/27/2006:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Dinner is late tonight so I'm making
> > - tossed salad, garlic jumbo shrimp and sauteed mushrooms topping
> > spaghettini in a garlic sauce.

> I see you occasionally say that dinner tonight is "late". About what
> time do you mean by "late"?
>
> For myself, I prefer dinner to start between 7:30 to 8:00 pm. A
> partially grudging compromise would be 7:00 pm. I run across quite a
> few people who tell me that they eat dinner at 6:00 pm or even 5:00 pm.
> Without wanting to be overdramatic, dinner at 5:00 pm would be
> depressing to me.
>
> I guess we all have our little clocks in our heads.

Just to be way overdramatic, my wife gets *really* grumpy if dinner is
planned for later than 6PM. Sometimes it is later, but don't ever plan
it that way unless you are ready for the grumps.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KevinS wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote on 3/27/2006:
>
> <snip>
>
>>Dinner is late tonight so I'm making
>>- tossed salad, garlic jumbo shrimp and sauteed mushrooms topping
>>spaghettini in a garlic sauce.

> I see you occasionally say that dinner tonight is "late". About what
> time do you mean by "late"?

Between 8 and 9 pm. We normally aim for between 6:30 and 7:30 pm.

> For myself, I prefer dinner to start between 7:30 to 8:00 pm. A
> partially grudging compromise would be 7:00 pm. I run across quite a
> few people who tell me that they eat dinner at 6:00 pm or even 5:00 pm.
> Without wanting to be overdramatic, dinner at 5:00 pm would be
> depressing to me.

We ate around 6 pm when the kids were younger but as they got to be
teenagers it got pushed back later. I think a lot of people with young
kids tend to eat earlier to leave time for things like playtime, baths,
storyreading, and homework before the kid's bedtime. When ours were
young as in pre-teens bedtime was 8 pm. Early teens it became 9 pm and
by age 15 it was 11 pm so it's easy to see how you need an earlier
dinnertime with an earlier bedtime for the kids.

> I guess we all have our little clocks in our heads.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KevinS wrote:

> Dee Randall wrote on 3/27/2006:
>

>>So, what time do you eat supper then? ;>)
>>Dee Dee

> Do you mean "supper" as opposed to "dinner"? I think I've seen threads
> about "supper" vs. "dinner". I don't use the word "supper". I think of
> it as a mid-afternoon large meal that one eats (or used to eat) on a
> Sunday or maybe something that farm people eat.

I tend to use dinner for the last big meal of the day regardless of the
time but generally between 5 and 9 pm depending on the day.

> As I said, I've got a little clock in my head. Breakfast is usually
> between 9:00 am and 10:00 am and consists one piece of fruit, a pear,
> apple, orange or banana. Lunch is around 2:00 pm. Dinner is around 7:30
> to 8:00 pm.

Breakfast for me is around 6:30 am, between 11:30 and 1, dinner between
6:30 and 7:30. A late dinner is between 8 and 9 pm. I find meal times
vary with the seasons as well with summer being more flexible and winter
with earlier dinners.

> And you??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BabyJane Hudson wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:26:42 -0500, ~patches~
> > wrote:
>

>>I managed to putter a bit in the garden today, nothing heavy or
>>demanding as I can't do that but I was surprised at how many little
>>things I got done including planting a few pots. The fresh air and sun
>>felt wonderful but now I'm tired. Dinner is late tonight so I'm making
>>- tossed salad, garlic jumbo shrimp and sauteed mushrooms topping
>>spaghettini in a garlic sauce.

> Patches,
> Would you please tell us how to make garlic sauce for pasta?
>
> Thanks,
> Jane

Sure, instructions are enough for 2 people. Peel as many cloves of
garlic as you desire. Put the cloves through a garlic press. Melt
about 4 tbsp butter in fry pan. When the butter is melted, add the
garlic and warm. Do not let the garlic brown or it will be bitter.
Remove from heat and stir into pasta to coat. Sprinkle with a little
salt and parsley, preferably fresh. If you want you can use 1/2 butter
and 1/2 olive oil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BabyJane Hudson wrote:

>>Sure, instructions are enough for 2 people. Peel as many cloves of
>>garlic as you desire. Put the cloves through a garlic press. Melt
>>about 4 tbsp butter in fry pan. When the butter is melted, add the
>>garlic and warm. Do not let the garlic brown or it will be bitter.
>>Remove from heat and stir into pasta to coat. Sprinkle with a little
>>salt and parsley, preferably fresh. If you want you can use 1/2 butter
>>and 1/2 olive oil.

> Patches,
> I forgot to ask you this in the previous post: after using the
> garlic press to extract the essential oils, do you think it would be
> ok or no to take the leftovers you've just pressed and cut them up
> fine and add them also?

Umm, the garlic press doesn't extract the essential oils. It simply
presses the garlic cloves through saving you from having to cut them up.
It is a lot easier and quicker when you are doing a lot and you get
more flavour because of the increased surface area.

> You may also want to try and add, after you have plated the above, a
> few red pepper flakes. Very good and you control the intensity by the
> amount you add.
>
> Thanks,
>
> BabyJane Hudson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BabyJane Hudson wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:55:30 -0500, ~patches~
> > wrote:
>

>>BabyJane Hudson wrote:

>>>Patches,
>>> Would you please tell us how to make garlic sauce for pasta?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Jane

>>Sure, instructions are enough for 2 people. Peel as many cloves of
>>garlic as you desire. Put the cloves through a garlic press. Melt
>>about 4 tbsp butter in fry pan. When the butter is melted, add the
>>garlic and warm. Do not let the garlic brown or it will be bitter.
>>Remove from heat and stir into pasta to coat. Sprinkle with a little
>>salt and parsley, preferably fresh. If you want you can use 1/2 butter
>>and 1/2 olive oil.

> Thanks so much! I'm fat, so the instructions, above, will be for one
> person
>
> I may make that this evening. Again, thanks!
>
> Jane Hudson

For something a little richer use baked or roasted garlic to taste in a
simple white sauce.
---
JL