Bad waitress tricks

Old 17-03-2006, 05:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bad waitress tricks

We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay, I
needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back with a
five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five
bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a spectacular
waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this place often, and
we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent
and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb
to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of
me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.

Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more annoyed than
when a server has come back with just big bills. The smart ones will usually
break at least one of the bills down so you've got a ten, a five, and
singles instead of a twenty, but sometimes they just come back with the
change in whatever form is easiest. But I don't think I've ever asked
someone to make change and had them say there was none.

I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to leave a
tip.

In this case, DH went to the cash register and got change. Didn't seem to be
a shortage there. Next time we go there, I'll make sure I've got the right
change for tipping.

--
Donna

Old 17-03-2006, 06:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:
We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay, I
needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back with a
five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five
bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a spectacular
waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this place often, and
we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent
and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb
to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of
me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.

I would have left her the $5 and left. She asked for it.
-L.

Old 17-03-2006, 08:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Mar 2006 22:44:11 -0800, "-L." wrote:

D.Currie wrote:
We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay, I
needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back with a
five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five
bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a spectacular
waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this place often, and
we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent
and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb
to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of
me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.

I would have left her the $5 and left. She asked for it.
-L.

My sentiments too.

jim

Old 17-03-2006, 01:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" wrote in message
[...]

You are too kind. A tip is supposed to reflect the overall service. With the
waitress either ignoring your request or intentionally jerking you around in
hopes of a larger tip, you would have been 110% justified in leaving the
smallish tip. If behaving like she did does not have any consequences, why
will she ever stop?

--
Peter Aitken

Old 17-03-2006, 01:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" wrote in message
[...]

How old was the waitress? I find lately that when you're dealing with anyone
under maybe 35-ish, you have to spell everything out as if you were giving
arts & crafts instructions to kindergarten kids. Remember how politicians
ranted about problems with our education system throughout the 1990s? We're
living with the product of the failed system. A generation of idiots.

Old 17-03-2006, 01:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

"D.Currie" wrote in message
[...]

Donna,

In that instance after paying and getting back the change, I would have
handed her the $5 directly and say "Thank you but talk to the chef, the
food tasted metallic."

Psychologically let it be a matter she can wrongfully take out on the
chef after you leave. No hard feelings between you and the waitress.

Imho,

Andy

Old 17-03-2006, 01:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:
[...]

If I was told there was no change available, and then found out there
*was* change available, I wouldn't leave anything. Lying does not
constitute good service.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Old 17-03-2006, 02:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-17, sarah bennett wrote:

If I was told there was no change available, and then found out there
*was* change available, I wouldn't leave anything.

* * Ding! Ding! Ding! * *

We haaave a winner!

nb
Old 17-03-2006, 02:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sarah bennett wrote:
D.Currie wrote:
[...]

In this situation, I'd have given her the 5. Any good waiter/waitress
knows to have change on hand.
OTH, I waited on table for a short time many years ago, at a Marie
Callendars. Service was a big thing there and we were NOT ALLOWED to
bring back a 10 and 5 ones unless specifically asked. It was considered
trolling for a tip. Never understood the policy myself, but that was
how it was.

Old 17-03-2006, 02:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:
sarah bennett wrote:

D.Currie wrote:

snip

[...]

Yeah, but if a customer asks for change, lying to them about it not
being available won't get you a tip, either.

Old 17-03-2006, 03:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:
[...]

Bullshit. In no way whatsoever is it the responsibility of the
waitperson to make change (you think it's a friggin' bank), it's always
ultimately the patron's responsibility to have their own change when
they go out to eat. You got some effin nerve, you self-centered
hooray-for-me ****. You mean you didn't have a couple of singles to
add to that fin... you obnoxious piece of dirt. It's a restaurant, NOT
a bank, you imbecile.

Sheldon

Old 17-03-2006, 03:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" wrote:

We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay, I
needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back with a
five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five
bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a spectacular
waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this place often, and
we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent
and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb
to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of
me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.

Let me get this straight. You specifically asked her for change. A $5 would not
have been a full 15% but $10 would have been too much. You should have just
left the $5.

Old 17-03-2006, 03:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
sarah bennett wrote:

If I was told there was no change available, and then found out there
*was* change available, I wouldn't leave anything.

* * Ding! Ding! Ding! * *

We haaave a winner!

You're the winner, the LOW IQ of the WEEK!

It's a restaurant, not a bank... that's a waitperson, not a teller...
you uncouth *******.

It's not a restaurant's responsibility to give change in any specific
denomination.

Yoose all going out to eat, yoose all too stupid to have a few singles
in yer pocket... what morons. Imbeciles think the waitperson should
cut your food and spoon feed you too... MOMMA'S BOY! Notbob, shit...
what you are is NOT-A-MAN

Sheldon

Old 17-03-2006, 03:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

In that instance after paying and getting back the change, I would have
handed her the $5 directly and say "Thank you but talk to the chef, the
food tasted metallic."

Psychologically let it be a matter she can wrongfully take out on the
chef after you leave. No hard feelings between you and the waitress.

I don't get it. You want her to hand it directly to the waitress and then
deflect the blame for the low tip on the cook. If you are going to be direct
with the waitress, be direct..... "I would have left more but I asked you
to bring me change and you didn't. I am not getting sucked in to leaving a
larger tip because you didn't offer the service I had specifically
requested."

Old 17-03-2006, 03:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sarah bennett wrote:

If I was told there was no change available, and then found out there
*was* change available, I wouldn't leave anything. Lying does not
constitute good service.

If I was told there was no change I would have known that it was a lie. Wait staff
always have pockets full of change.

Waitress quote of the day modom General Cooking 10 07-02-2006 07:55 PM
Pumpkin Wine: Any tricks? Joel Sprague Winemaking 22 29-11-2005 03:38 PM
Dumb waitress ending Julia Altshuler General Cooking 4 24-06-2005 11:02 PM
Dumb waitress. Andy General Cooking 77 23-06-2005 01:06 AM
Sweet BAR TRICKS ... impress the ladies ;) StreetMagic.org Beer 1 27-02-2004 10:05 PM