Will a mango ripen once cut?

Old 16-03-2006, 08:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Will a mango ripen once cut?

I just cut up a mango that's about a day short of perfectly ripe. Do
you think it will continue to ripen once it's cut?

-Jen

Old 16-03-2006, 08:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
"Jennyanniedots" wrote:

I just cut up a mango that's about a day short of perfectly ripe. Do
you think it will continue to ripen once it's cut?

-Jen

Put it in a bag with some ripe bannanas......

Seriously.
--
Peace, Om.

Old 16-03-2006, 08:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Put it in a bag with some ripe bannanas......

I don't think I can at this point. It's cubed and peeled....but the
question is, can fruit continue to ripen after it's been cut?

-Jen

Old 16-03-2006, 09:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jennyanniedots wrote:

Put it in a bag with some ripe bannanas......

I don't think I can at this point. It's cubed and peeled....but the
question is, can fruit continue to ripen after it's been cut?

-Jen

I just read in a German ng that avocados so ripen after having been cut
open. But I'm told strawberries don't ripen at all after having been
picked. So I guess it really depends on the type of fruit.
Old 16-03-2006, 09:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
"Jennyanniedots" wrote:

Put it in a bag with some ripe bannanas......

I don't think I can at this point. It's cubed and peeled....but the
question is, can fruit continue to ripen after it's been cut?

-Jen

Maybe, maybe not.

Put it in a bowl. Put the bowl in a bag. Put a ripe bannana or two in
the bag.

If it does not have the proper environment, it'll rot before it ripens.
I've made that mistake with avocados, AND Mangos.

Bannanas are my "secret weapon" for errors in opening underipe fruits.

Do this in the 'frige.
--
Peace, Om.

Old 16-03-2006, 09:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jennyanniedots wrote:
I just cut up a mango that's about a day short of perfectly ripe. Do
you think it will continue to ripen once it's cut?

Once cut up the exposed surfaces will rot at a rate much accelerated
from that in which any portion can continue to ripen... this is true of
all fruit. I would suggest once cut you eat as rapidly as possible...
things will never be better than from that moment. Of course you can
choose to preserve but preservation merely slows decomposition.

Old 16-03-2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

Jennyanniedots wrote:

I just cut up a mango that's about a day short of perfectly ripe. Do
you think it will continue to ripen once it's cut?

Once cut up the exposed surfaces will rot at a rate much accelerated
from that in which any portion can continue to ripen... this is true of
all fruit. I would suggest once cut you eat as rapidly as possible...
things will never be better than from that moment. Of course you can
choose to preserve but preservation merely slows decomposition.

Do you think cooking the mango would make it sweeter? Then things like
chutneys would become an option.
Old 16-03-2006, 10:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Probably not, but if it is already cubed, why not make a tasty
salsa with it. DIce it a bit finer; add some f.chopped
red onion or scallions, mint, red chili, f. diced tomato. add a litte
dressing
of choice. Serve over fish or chicken.

Cheers
Bronwyn

Old 17-03-2006, 12:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote:

I just cut up a mango that's about a day short of perfectly ripe. Do
you think it will continue to ripen once it's cut?

No, but you can make a good sambal out of it. In fact, sambals are often
made from fruit which is slightly underripe. This recipe is from _Big
Flavors of the Hot Sun_, and is an excellent accompaniment to grilled fish,
poultry, or pork. It's also good anywhere you'd use salsa or chutney. Since
you only cut up one mango and this recipe calls for two, I guess you can cut
the recipe in half -- or just chop up another mango, because this stuff is
good!

Mango-Chile Sambal (adapted from _Big Flavors of the Hot Sun_)

2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 red onion, diced small
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 teaspoon lemongrass, tough upper leaves and outer stalk removed and
reserved for another purpose, inner portion of bulb (bottom 1/3 of
stalk) very finely minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh hot red or green chile of your choice
2 mostly-ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted, and diced small
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons fish sauce (optional, but I always use it)
pinch ground nutmeg
salt and black pepper to taste

1. In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat until hot but
not smoking. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is
more or less translucent, about 5 minutes.

2. Add the garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and chile and cook, stirring
occasionally, for one additional minute. Add the mangoes, vinegar,
molasses, and fish sauce and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add
the nutmeg, mix well, and season with salt and pepper.

Serve hot or cold. This sambal will keep, covered and refrigerated, for 5
to 7 days.

Notes:
The amount of time you will have to cook the sambal after adding the mangoes
will depend on how ripe they are. The time given is for mangoes which are
not quite as soft as they could get. If your mangoes are more underripe,
cook them a little longer. Super-soft mangoes will not work well in this
recipe.

Bob

Old 17-03-2006, 12:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

jake wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

Jennyanniedots wrote:

I just cut up a mango that's about a day short of perfectly ripe. Do
you think it will continue to ripen once it's cut?

Once cut up the exposed surfaces will rot at a rate much accelerated
from that in which any portion can continue to ripen... this is true of
all fruit. I would suggest once cut you eat as rapidly as possible...
things will never be better than from that moment. Of course you can
choose to preserve but preservation merely slows decomposition.

Do you think cooking the mango would make it sweeter?

No, not unless you add sweetener.