Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default cooking spagetti

What does it mean to cook spaghetti "el dente". Or what does the term "el
dente" mean?
Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim wrote:
> What does it mean to cook spaghetti "el dente". Or what does the term "el
> dente" mean?

It means, "to the tooth." Al Dente means not soggy and overcooked.
Tell you one thing about dried pasta. It can be really nice cooked in
stock, even a good brand of canned broth, such as Swanson or Butterball
(not Sweet Sue). If you do this often you can get the pasta to absorb
nearly all the stock right at the point that it's perfectly al dente.

> Jim

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim" > wrote in message
. com...
> What does it mean to cook spaghetti "el dente". Or what does the term "el
> dente" mean?
> Jim

Al dente.

Definition: Al dente refers to the desired texture of cooked pasta in
Italian cooking. It literally means "to the tooth". When the pasta is cooked
al dente, there should be a slight resistance in the center when the pasta
is chewed.

Pronunciation: all DAN tay . (adjective)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...

> "Jim" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> What does it mean to cook spaghetti "el dente". Or what does the term "el
>> dente" mean?
>> Jim

> Al dente.
>
> Definition: Al dente refers to the desired texture of cooked pasta in
> Italian cooking. It literally means "to the tooth". When the pasta is
> cooked
> al dente, there should be a slight resistance in the center when the pasta
> is chewed.
>
> Pronunciation: all DAN tay . (adjective)

I pronounce it Al (a man's name) den (like in "dental) tay (rhymes with
day).
LOL, This pronounciation 'thing' can become pretty silly to me - especially
when the people in the news nowadays pronounce "sex" "sax" (like a
saxaphone!). What region is this! I always get a big laugh over that
pronounciation.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Jim wrote:
> What does it mean to cook spaghetti "el dente". Or what does the term "el
> dente" mean?

Boil some sphaghetti. Suppose the package says "9 to 10 minutes." At
8:30 fish a strand out and bite into it. Keep doing this at intervals
of 15 seconds or so. What you're after is to feel with your teeth that
the strand is fully cooked, except that there's a tiny bit of
resistance left in the center. That's the "to the tooth" feel that "al
dente" means. If it's chewier/stiffer than that, it's not done yet.
If it's soft all the way through, it's overcooked. If it's really
overcooked it becomes mushy. How important this is to you may change
over time as you get more or less interested in good food. Most
Americans, and all but a few restaurants, routinely overcook pasta.
-aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

>> Pronunciation: all DAN tay . (adjective)
>>

> I pronounce it Al (a man's name) den (like in "dental) tay (rhymes with
> day).
> LOL, This pronounciation 'thing' can become pretty silly to me -

No, it's a softer "all" than your Al.
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>
>>> Pronunciation: all DAN tay . (adjective)
>>>

>> I pronounce it Al (a man's name) den (like in "dental) tay (rhymes with
>> day).
>> LOL, This pronounciation 'thing' can become pretty silly to me -

> No, it's a softer "all" than your Al.
> Goomba

Maybe for you, but not for me. :-))
Just what I was saying about DH and I differing, he says ahnt, and I say
ant. (for aunt)
He says pee-can, I say pee-cahn. (for pecan).
I was just saying how EYE pronounce it, not how it SHOULD be pronounced.
AISB, this pronounciation 'thing' can become pretty silly to me --
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-07, Jim > wrote:
> What does it mean to cook spaghetti "el dente". Or what does the term "el
> dente" mean?

It means if you put some in your underwear and throw them both against
the wall and they don't stick, your pasta is al dente and you didn't
get any... no wait..

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2006-03-07, Jim > wrote:
> > What does it mean to cook spaghetti "el dente". Or what does the term "el
> > dente" mean?

> It means if you put some in your underwear and throw them both against
> the wall and they don't stick, your pasta is al dente and you didn't
> get any... no wait..
>
> nb

That wasn't nice........ ;-)

Funny, but still a bit mean!
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim" > wrote in message
. com...
> What does it mean to cook spaghetti "el dente". Or what does the term "el
> dente" mean?
> Jim

Al dente, literally translated, means "to the tooth". It means the pasta is
not overcooked, and has some "bite" to it.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>It means "The teeth".

WRONG

>In some languages it means: "Google is Your Friend".

Yeah...give it a shot!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Jim wrote:
> > What does it mean to cook spaghetti "el dente". Or what does the term "el
> > dente" mean?

> Boil some sphaghetti. Suppose the package says "9 to 10 minutes." At
> 8:30 fish a strand out and bite into it. Keep doing this at intervals
> of 15 seconds or so.

I have found that I have to check every minute or so - any sooner
doesn't make a difference. Maybe it has to do with the pasta:water
ratio? I also start at 9 minutes in the above scenario...
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim" > ha scritto nel messaggio
. com...
> What does it mean to cook spaghetti "el dente". Or what does the term

"el
> dente" mean?
> Jim

To cook spaghetti or other pasta or food "*A*l dente" means you must not
overcook the food.
Cheers
Pandora

Attached Thumbnails
cooking spagetti-p.gif
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 18:42:11 GMT, "Jim" >
> wrote:
>
>>What does it mean to cook spaghetti "el dente". Or what does the term

"el
>>dente" mean?

> It means "The teeth".

To be precise, "At the teeth"...

Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> om...
>>
>> "Jim" > wrote in message
>> . com...
>>> What does it mean to cook spaghetti "el dente". Or what does the term

"el
>>> dente" mean?
>>> Jim

>> Al dente.
>>
>> Definition: Al dente refers to the desired texture of cooked pasta in
>> Italian cooking. It literally means "to the tooth". When the pasta is
>> cooked
>> al dente, there should be a slight resistance in the center when the

pasta
>> is chewed.
>>
>> Pronunciation: all DAN tay . (adjective)
>>

> I pronounce it Al (a man's name) den (like in "dental) tay (rhymes with
> day).
> LOL, This pronounciation 'thing' can become pretty silly to me -

especially
> when the people in the news nowadays pronounce "sex" "sax" (like a
> saxaphone!). What region is this! I always get a big laugh over that
> pronounciation.
> Dee Dee

Pronounciation of "Al dente" is "Al dente" .
Al (like a name) right
den (like dental) right
tay or tey (like day) is wrong. You must pronounce "te" like "terminal".
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On 2006-03-07, Jim > wrote:
>> What does it mean to cook spaghetti "el dente". Or what does the term

"el
>> dente" mean?

> It means if you put some in your underwear and throw them both against
> the wall and they don't stick, your pasta is al dente and you didn't
> get any... no wait..
>
> nb

ROTFLASTC
Pan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> Boil some sphaghetti. Suppose the package says "9 to 10 minutes." At
> 8:30 fish a strand out and bite into it. Keep doing this at intervals
> of 15 seconds or so. What you're after is to feel with your teeth that
> the strand is fully cooked, except that there's a tiny bit of
> resistance left in the center. That's the "to the tooth" feel that "al
> dente" means. If it's chewier/stiffer than that, it's not done yet.
> If it's soft all the way through, it's overcooked. If it's really
> overcooked it becomes mushy. How important this is to you may change
> over time as you get more or less interested in good food. Most
> Americans, and all but a few restaurants, routinely overcook pasta.
> -aem

I use your method... I hate overcooked pasta.
--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> >
> > "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >>
> >> "Jim" > wrote in message
> >> . com...

> "el
> >>
> >> Al dente.
> >>
> >> Definition: Al dente refers to the desired texture of cooked pasta in
> >> Italian cooking. It literally means "to the tooth". When the pasta is
> >> cooked
> >> al dente, there should be a slight resistance in the center when the

> pasta
> >> is chewed.
> >>
> >> Pronunciation: all DAN tay . (adjective)
> >>

> > I pronounce it Al (a man's name) den (like in "dental) tay (rhymes with
> > day).
> > LOL, This pronounciation 'thing' can become pretty silly to me -

> especially
> > when the people in the news nowadays pronounce "sex" "sax" (like a
> > saxaphone!). What region is this! I always get a big laugh over that
> > pronounciation.
> > Dee Dee

> Pronounciation of "Al dente" is "Al dente" .
> Al (like a name) right
> den (like dental) right
> tay or tey (like day) is wrong. You must pronounce "te" like "terminal".
> Cheers
> Pandora

Thanks, Pandora. I'll remember this around my Italian in-laws - they are
always talking about Italian food; where DH grew up there are many Italians
working in the restaurants. They pride themselves in pronouncing food in
the Italian accent and will stand at your table for an indefinite period of
time discussing pronounciations of the Italian food - in a wonderfully proud
friendly manner.

An example is pro-shoot -- (proscuitto) the "teh" at the ending is barely
audible the way they pronounce it.
Perhaps that is what you are saying, al-den-te (the "te" sound at the end
barely audible or less audible that the al den)???
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cathyxyz" > wrote

> aem wrote:

>> over time as you get more or less interested in good food. Most
>> Americans, and all but a few restaurants, routinely overcook pasta.

> I use your method... I hate overcooked pasta.

That was my major gripe about Olive Garden, complete *mush*.
I hate that.

Luckily we no longer have to worry about that, has anyone seen
the new pasta cooker on tv? A plastic tube, put the pasta in, add
boiling water ... voila! Perfectly done pasta. With the snap on
strainer, you're good to go.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "Jim" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> . com...
> > What does it mean to cook spaghetti "el dente". Or what does the term

> "el
> > dente" mean?
> > Jim
> >

> To cook spaghetti or other pasta or food "*A*l dente" means you must not
> overcook the food.
> Cheers
> Pandora

I've been trying to find out in another ng about the meaning in Indian
cooking of the phrase

"leaving one grain." and/or
"until rice is cooked or one grain is left."

I believe it is the same meaning as "al dente," but so far I have had no
confirmation. Maybe Ophelia might know?
OOOOOOhhhh-phelia?????
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:35:06 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"cathyxyz" > wrote
>
>> aem wrote:

>>> over time as you get more or less interested in good food. Most
>>> Americans, and all but a few restaurants, routinely overcook pasta.

>> I use your method... I hate overcooked pasta.

>That was my major gripe about Olive Garden, complete *mush*.
>I hate that.
>
>Luckily we no longer have to worry about that, has anyone seen
>the new pasta cooker on tv? A plastic tube, put the pasta in, add
>boiling water ... voila! Perfectly done pasta. With the snap on
>strainer, you're good to go.
>
>nancy

Tempting isn't it? Who wants to go first? It is also demonstrated
for cooking asparagus. With 3 50' rows of asparagus plants I could
use it.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default cooking spaghetti

Dee Randall wrote:

> "Pandora" > wrote

>> Pronounciation of "Al dente" is "Al dente" .
>> Al (like a name) right
>> den (like dental) right
>> tay or tey (like day) is wrong. You must pronounce "te" like "terminal".
>> Cheers
>> Pandora

> Thanks, Pandora. I'll remember this around my Italian in-laws - they are
> always talking about Italian food; where DH grew up there are many Italians
> working in the restaurants. They pride themselves in pronouncing food in
> the Italian accent and will stand at your table for an indefinite period of
> time discussing pronounciations of the Italian food - in a wonderfully proud
> friendly manner.
>
> An example is pro-shoot -- (proscuitto) the "teh" at the ending is barely
> audible the way they pronounce it.

That would be a dialect pronunciation. The various regions have their
own accents and vowel sounds. Some leave off syllables, others compress
them. Lots of variations.

> Perhaps that is what you are saying, al-den-te (the "te" sound at the end
> barely audible or less audible that the al den)???

Not really. In Pandora's example above - terminal - she's using a
familiar word for both her and us, but we pronounce it differently. And
the "r" is trilled. She's saying tehr-mee-nahl (equal emphasis), not
turr-min-null (weight on the first syllable).

The final syllable is pronounced in Italian comparable to the "te" in
English "ten" as delivered by most news anchors. (But not like my
Virginia neighbors who make it two syllables: teh-uhn or tee-uhn.)

Italian vowels are sounded differently than English - no surprise there.
Perhaps best written as a = ah, e = eh, i = ee, o = oh, u = oo, and
clipped. English vowels (except e) are actually more like diphthongs -
two or more letter sounds delivered as though one. So A in English is
actually eh-ee, held for two beats (I = ah-ee, O = oh-oo, U = ee-oo.
Italian vowels are single sounds, but only held for one beat.

So "al dente" would be "ahl den-teh" - all syllables given nearly
equal emphasis. The "den" gets a very tiny extra emphasis. Tiny.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob (this one) wrote:

> So "al dente" would be "ahl den-teh" - all syllables given
> nearly
> equal emphasis. The "den" gets a very tiny extra emphasis.
> Tiny.

Yeah!
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:27:30 +0100, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>
>> > It means "The teeth".

>> To be precise, "At the teeth"...

> "el dente" or "al dente"? I don't think 'el' is used in Italian,
> is it?
>
> -sw

In Italian is "Al dente".
OTO "el dente" , in spanish, means "the tooth"
cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> >
>> > "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>> > om...

term
>> "el

in

is

the
>> pasta

>> > I pronounce it Al (a man's name) den (like in "dental) tay (rhymes

with
>> > day).
>> > LOL, This pronounciation 'thing' can become pretty silly to me -

>> especially
>> > when the people in the news nowadays pronounce "sex" "sax" (like a
>> > saxaphone!). What region is this! I always get a big laugh over

that
>> > pronounciation.
>> > Dee Dee

>> Pronounciation of "Al dente" is "Al dente" .
>> Al (like a name) right
>> den (like dental) right
>> tay or tey (like day) is wrong. You must pronounce "te" like

"terminal".
>> Cheers
>> Pandora

> Thanks, Pandora. I'll remember this around my Italian in-laws - they

are
> always talking about Italian food; where DH grew up there are many

Italians
> working in the restaurants. They pride themselves in pronouncing food

in
> the Italian accent and will stand at your table for an indefinite period

of
> time discussing pronounciations of the Italian food - in a wonderfully

proud
> friendly manner.

Yes . It is true

> An example is pro-shoot -- (proscuitto) the "teh" at the ending is

barely
> audible the way they pronounce it.

It is not "Proscuitto" His name is "Prosciutto"

> Perhaps that is what you are saying, al-den-te (the "te" sound at the

end
> barely audible or less audible that the al den)???

Yes you can hear well the sound of "To" (of prosciut- TO) and "Te" (of Al
den-TE)
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Jim" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> . com...
>> > What does it mean to cook spaghetti "el dente". Or what does the

term
>> "el
>> > dente" mean?
>> > Jim
>> >

>> To cook spaghetti or other pasta or food "*A*l dente" means you must

not
>> overcook the food.
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>

> I've been trying to find out in another ng about the meaning in Indian
> cooking of the phrase
>
> "leaving one grain." and/or
> "until rice is cooked or one grain is left."
>
> I believe it is the same meaning as "al dente," but so far I have had no
> confirmation. Maybe Ophelia might know?
> OOOOOOhhhh-phelia?????
> Dee Dee

Perhaps, but I Am not sure!
Pandora

Attached Thumbnails
cooking spagetti-p.gif
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob!!! Thank you for this lesson. You have well interpretated what I would
say
Cheers
Pandora
"Bob (this one)" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Dee Randall wrote:
>
>> "Pandora" > wrote

>>> Pronounciation of "Al dente" is "Al dente" .
>>> Al (like a name) right
>>> den (like dental) right
>>> tay or tey (like day) is wrong. You must pronounce "te" like

"terminal".
>>> Cheers
>>> Pandora

>> Thanks, Pandora. I'll remember this around my Italian in-laws - they

are
>> always talking about Italian food; where DH grew up there are many

Italians
>> working in the restaurants. They pride themselves in pronouncing food

in
>> the Italian accent and will stand at your table for an indefinite

period of
>> time discussing pronounciations of the Italian food - in a wonderfully

proud
>> friendly manner.
>>
>> An example is pro-shoot -- (proscuitto) the "teh" at the ending is

barely
>> audible the way they pronounce it.

> That would be a dialect pronunciation. The various regions have their
> own accents and vowel sounds. Some leave off syllables, others compress
> them. Lots of variations.
>
>> Perhaps that is what you are saying, al-den-te (the "te" sound at the

end
>> barely audible or less audible that the al den)???

> Not really. In Pandora's example above - terminal - she's using a
> familiar word for both her and us, but we pronounce it differently. And
> the "r" is trilled. She's saying tehr-mee-nahl (equal emphasis), not
> turr-min-null (weight on the first syllable).
>
> The final syllable is pronounced in Italian comparable to the "te" in
> English "ten" as delivered by most news anchors. (But not like my
> Virginia neighbors who make it two syllables: teh-uhn or tee-uhn.)
>
> Italian vowels are sounded differently than English - no surprise there.
> Perhaps best written as a = ah, e = eh, i = ee, o = oh, u = oo, and
> clipped. English vowels (except e) are actually more like diphthongs -
> two or more letter sounds delivered as though one. So A in English is
> actually eh-ee, held for two beats (I = ah-ee, O = oh-oo, U = ee-oo.
> Italian vowels are single sounds, but only held for one beat.
>
> So "al dente" would be "ahl den-teh" - all syllables given nearly
> equal emphasis. The "den" gets a very tiny extra emphasis. Tiny.
>
> Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sorry for this attachment I hadn't put it
Pandora

"Pandora" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> >
> > "Pandora" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Jim" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> >> . com...

> term
> >> "el
> >> >

> >> To cook spaghetti or other pasta or food "*A*l dente" means you

must
> not
> >> overcook the food.
> >> Cheers
> >> Pandora
> >>

> > I've been trying to find out in another ng about the meaning in

Indian
> > cooking of the phrase
> >
> > "leaving one grain." and/or
> > "until rice is cooked or one grain is left."
> >
> > I believe it is the same meaning as "al dente," but so far I have had

no
> > confirmation. Maybe Ophelia might know?
> > OOOOOOhhhh-phelia?????
> > Dee Dee

> Perhaps, but I Am not sure!
> Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > Thanks, Pandora. I'll remember this around my Italian in-laws - they

> are
> > always talking about Italian food; where DH grew up there are many

> Italians
> > working in the restaurants. They pride themselves in pronouncing food

> in
> > the Italian accent and will stand at your table for an indefinite

> period of
> > time discussing pronounciations of the Italian food - in a wonderfully

> proud
> > friendly manner.

> Yes . It is true
> >
> > An example is pro-shoot -- (proscuitto) the "teh" at the ending is

> barely
> > audible the way they pronounce it.

> It is not "Proscuitto" His name is "Prosciutto"
>
> > Perhaps that is what you are saying, al-den-te (the "te" sound at the

> end
> > barely audible or less audible that the al den)???

> Yes you can hear well the sound of "To" (of prosciut- TO) and "Te" (of Al
> den-TE)
> Cheers
> Pandora

WELL! I'm going to have to tell those New England Italians a thing or two.
They say, pro-shoot; man-eh-cott (manicotti); ree-cott (ricotta) (all with a
extra little ttttt sound on the end.
They don't say the pro-shoot-To, man-eh-cott-To, or ree-cott-To.
Hmmm.
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

> An example is pro-shoot -- (proscuitto) the "teh" at the ending is barely
> audible the way they pronounce it.
> Perhaps that is what you are saying, al-den-te (the "te" sound at the end
> barely audible or less audible that the al den)???
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Oh, that's like how surprised I was to learn the correct pronunciation
of ricotta. ot "rih - cot - tah" like I'va always heard; more like "rih
- goat"

I've always said "al den-tay". I'll rty to soften the ast syllable now;
thanks Pan! So "al den - tuh" ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>> > Thanks, Pandora. I'll remember this around my Italian in-laws - they

>> are
>> > always talking about Italian food; where DH grew up there are many

>> Italians
>> > working in the restaurants. They pride themselves in pronouncing food

>> in
>> > the Italian accent and will stand at your table for an indefinite

>> period of
>> > time discussing pronounciations of the Italian food - in a wonderfully

>> proud
>> > friendly manner.

>> Yes . It is true
>> >
>> > An example is pro-shoot -- (proscuitto) the "teh" at the ending is

>> barely
>> > audible the way they pronounce it.

>> It is not "Proscuitto" His name is "Prosciutto"
>>
>> > Perhaps that is what you are saying, al-den-te (the "te" sound at the

>> end
>> > barely audible or less audible that the al den)???

>> Yes you can hear well the sound of "To" (of prosciut- TO) and "Te" (of
>> Al den-TE)
>> Cheers
>> Pandora

> WELL! I'm going to have to tell those New England Italians a thing or two.
> They say, pro-shoot; man-eh-cott (manicotti); ree-cott (ricotta) (all with
> a extra little ttttt sound on the end.

ROTFL!!!! You make me laugh a lot! perhaps these Italians of new England ,
have a southitalian accent

> They don't say the pro-shoot-To, man-eh-cott-To, or ree-cott-To.

You must say Ri cot - TA .

Cheers
Pandora

> Hmmm.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

You are welcome

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
> Dee Randall wrote:
>

>> An example is pro-shoot -- (proscuitto) the "teh" at the ending is barely
>> audible the way they pronounce it.
>> Perhaps that is what you are saying, al-den-te (the "te" sound at the end
>> barely audible or less audible that the al den)???
>> Thanks,
>> Dee Dee

> Oh, that's like how surprised I was to learn the correct pronunciation
> of ricotta. ot "rih - cot - tah" like I'va always heard; more like "rih
> - goat"
>
> I've always said "al den-tay". I'll rty to soften the ast syllable now;
> thanks Pan! So "al den - tuh" ?

Nooo! It is "Al den-TE" . TE like in *Te*ll
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote

> WELL! I'm going to have to tell those New England Italians a thing or two.
> They say, pro-shoot; man-eh-cott (manicotti); ree-cott (ricotta) (all with
> a extra little ttttt sound on the end.
> They don't say the pro-shoot-To, man-eh-cott-To, or ree-cott-To.

Too late to hear them as they have long gone to their reward, but
I knew a lot of Italians, Italian as in from Italy. Prozhoot, Manicott,
and Regort. Mootzadell.

I don't think they learned to pronounce it in the states.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pandora wrote:

> > Oh, that's like how surprised I was to learn the correct pronunciation
> > of ricotta. ot "rih - cot - tah" like I'va always heard; more like "rih
> > - goat"
> >
> > I've always said "al den-tay". I'll rty to soften the ast syllable now;
> > thanks Pan! So "al den - tuh" ?

> Nooo! It is "Al den-TE" . TE like in *Te*ll
> Cheers
> Pandora

OK. Al Den Teh. Tell makes more sense to me than terminal, the "r"
threw me off.

But am I right on rih-goat and man-i-goat, not ri-cot-tah and
man-i-cot-tee?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pandora" > wrote in message

>>> are
>>> Italians
>>> food in
>>> period of
>>> wonderfully proud
>>>
>>> Yes . It is true

>>> barely
>>>
>>> It is not "Proscuitto" His name is "Prosciutto"

>>> end
>>>
>>> Yes you can hear well the sound of "To" (of prosciut- TO) and "Te" (of
>>> Al den-TE)
>>> Cheers
>>> Pandora

>> WELL! I'm going to have to tell those New England Italians a thing or
>> two.
>> They say, pro-shoot; man-eh-cott (manicotti); ree-cott (ricotta) (all
>> with a extra little ttttt sound on the end.

> ROTFL!!!! You make me laugh a lot! perhaps these Italians of new England
> , have a southitalian accent
>
>> They don't say the pro-shoot-To, man-eh-cott-To, or ree-cott-To.

> You must say Ri cot - TA .
>
> Cheers
> Pandora

Yep, my mistake on the Ricotta -- tee hee -- I got 'carried away' again in
my enthusiasm -- tee hee -- ha ha!.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Dee Randall wrote:
>

>> An example is pro-shoot -- (proscuitto) the "teh" at the ending is barely
>> audible the way they pronounce it.
>> Perhaps that is what you are saying, al-den-te (the "te" sound at the end
>> barely audible or less audible that the al den)???
>> Thanks,
>> Dee Dee

> Oh, that's like how surprised I was to learn the correct pronunciation
> of ricotta. ot "rih - cot - tah" like I'va always heard; more like "rih
> - goat"

Yes, that's it!!! Ree-goat!!! soo funny! My imagination flies when they
say this! You know, goats in the Alps & making cheese!
Dee Dee
whose favorite child-hood book was Heidi and vowed she would grow up to be
just like her. Oh,my I loved that book.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "Jude" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> oups.com...
>> Dee Randall wrote:
>>

>>> An example is pro-shoot -- (proscuitto) the "teh" at the ending is
>>> barely
>>> audible the way they pronounce it.
>>> Perhaps that is what you are saying, al-den-te (the "te" sound at the
>>> end
>>> barely audible or less audible that the al den)???
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dee Dee

>> Oh, that's like how surprised I was to learn the correct pronunciation
>> of ricotta. ot "rih - cot - tah" like I'va always heard; more like "rih
>> - goat"
>>
>> I've always said "al den-tay". I'll rty to soften the ast syllable now;
>> thanks Pan! So "al den - tuh" ?

> Nooo! It is "Al den-TE" . TE like in *Te*ll
> Cheers
> Pandora

Same pronounciation for me.
tuh & "TE like in Tell." are the same.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
> Pandora wrote:
>
>> > Oh, that's like how surprised I was to learn the correct pronunciation
>> > of ricotta. ot "rih - cot - tah" like I'va always heard; more like "rih
>> > - goat"
>> >
>> > I've always said "al den-tay". I'll rty to soften the ast syllable now;
>> > thanks Pan! So "al den - tuh" ?

>> Nooo! It is "Al den-TE" . TE like in *Te*ll
>> Cheers
>> Pandora

> OK. Al Den Teh. Tell makes more sense to me than terminal, the "r"
> threw me off.
>
> But am I right on rih-goat and man-i-goat, not ri-cot-tah and
> man-i-cot-tee?

Nooo! It is :" Ricot-TA" (like in Ta-sk). Manicot -tee is right
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>>> WELL! I'm going to have to tell those New England Italians a thing or
>>> two.
>>> They say, pro-shoot; man-eh-cott (manicotti); ree-cott (ricotta) (all
>>> with a extra little ttttt sound on the end.

>> ROTFL!!!! You make me laugh a lot! perhaps these Italians of new England
>> , have a southitalian accent
>>
>>> They don't say the pro-shoot-To, man-eh-cott-To, or ree-cott-To.

>> You must say Ri cot - TA .
>>
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>

> Yep, my mistake on the Ricotta -- tee hee -- I got 'carried away' again in
> my enthusiasm -- tee hee -- ha ha!.
> Dee Dee

OK! You are clever! You can come in Italy now ...but you 'll have to eat
only Prosciutto and ricotta
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Jude" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> oups.com...

>>> Oh, that's like how surprised I was to learn the correct pronunciation
>>> of ricotta. ot "rih - cot - tah" like I'va always heard; more like "rih
>>> - goat"
>>>
>>> I've always said "al den-tay". I'll rty to soften the ast syllable now;
>>> thanks Pan! So "al den - tuh" ?

>> Nooo! It is "Al den-TE" . TE like in *Te*ll
>> Cheers
>> Pandora

Ohhhhh! I would never imagined "tuh" was pronounced "Te" : ))
cheers
Pandora