Portuguese Chicken Stew : Galinha Estufada

Old 02-03-2006, 08:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Portuguese Chicken Stew : Galinha Estufada

Portuguese Chicken Stew : Galinha Estufada

Serves 4 in 1 hour and 30 minutes

This is one of the many delicious recipes from Ana Patuleia Ortins,
famous chef and author of Portuguese Homestyle Cooking.
http://recipe.theskinnycook.com/stew...-estufada.html

INGREDIENTS
* 4 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
* 1 large very ripe tomato, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
* 1/2 tablespoon sweet paprika
* 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 bay leaf
* 1/2 cup (120ml) white wine (optional)
* one 2 1/2 to 3 pound (1,1 kg to 1,4kg) chicken, cut up, rinsed
* 3 1/2 cups (800 ml) water
* 1 1/2 cups (300gr) converted rice or other long-grain rice
* 2 teaspoons coarse salt or to taste
* 1/4 teaspoons black pepper to taste
* 1/2 cup (80gr) peas, frozen or fresh, shelled
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley

PREPARATION
1. Heat the oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add and
sauté the onions until a light
golden color, about 10 to 15 minutes.( In Portuguese : this is called
"refogado")
2. Put in the tomatoes, paprika, garlic and bay leaf. Reduce the heat,
cover, and simmer until the tomatoes
are soft and partially dissolved, about 15 minutes.
3. Pour in the wine, if using, and simmer for 2 more minutes. Add the
chicken and water, adding extra
water if needed to just cover the chicken. Recover the pot tightly and
bring to a boil over medium-high
heat. Reduce the heat and simmer the chicken for 15 minutes.
4. Toss in the rice, salt and pepper. Stir, recover, and continue to
simmer for another 20 minutes. Stir in
the peas and 1 tablespoon of the parsley. Simmer for 5 minutes more or
until the meatis nearly falling off
the bone. Remove the pan from the heat. Let the stew stand for 10
minutes before serving. Garnish with
additional parsley. The rice should be tender and the liquid should be
absorbed. See variation on page 87
of her book : Portuguese Homestyle Cooking

Happy Cooking!

Stef
http://www.theskinnycook.com

Old 02-03-2006, 03:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-02, wrote:

This is one of the many delicious recipes from Ana Patuleia Ortins,
famous chef...

Someone becomes a chef based on this rather pedestrian example of
chicken n' rice soup? I'm not impressed.

nb

Soul For The Chicken Soup Gregory Morrow General Cooking 1 22-02-2006 10:45 AM
poaching chicken biig General Cooking 15 21-01-2006 01:38 PM
Hungarian Paprika Chicken (8) Collection MoM Recipes (moderated) 0 15-12-2005 08:40 AM
Crockpot Chicken Stew Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-05-2005 02:55 PM
Chicken and Dumplings Bob General Cooking 7 24-12-2004 01:49 PM