Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default You might like this food blog

A Dutch student is visiting people from 80 different countries for meals
in their homes (In The Netherlands, as far as I can tell). Then she
reports on the meals and the evening spent together, including
interesting cross-cultural conversations.

After the 80 meals, she'll invite all those people to a party.

She writes in English.

http://www.80meals.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 20 Feb 2006 01:54:58p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?

> A Dutch student is visiting people from 80 different countries for meals
> in their homes (In The Netherlands, as far as I can tell). Then she
> reports on the meals and the evening spent together, including
> interesting cross-cultural conversations.
>
> After the 80 meals, she'll invite all those people to a party.
>
> She writes in English.
>
> http://www.80meals.blogspot.com/

I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs. IMHO,
nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that anywhere.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 20 Feb 2006 01:54:58p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?
>

>>A Dutch student is visiting people from 80 different countries for meals
>>in their homes (In The Netherlands, as far as I can tell). Then she
>>reports on the meals and the evening spent together, including
>>interesting cross-cultural conversations.
>>
>> After the 80 meals, she'll invite all those people to a party.
>>
>>She writes in English.
>>
>>http://www.80meals.blogspot.com/

> I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs. IMHO,
> nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that anywhere.

hey, mine isn't blather! that's probably why i don't get traffic

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Mon 20 Feb 2006 01:54:58p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?
>
>> A Dutch student is visiting people from 80 different countries for meals
>> in their homes (In The Netherlands, as far as I can tell). Then she
>> reports on the meals and the evening spent together, including
>> interesting cross-cultural conversations.
>>
>> After the 80 meals, she'll invite all those people to a party.
>>
>> She writes in English.
>>
>> http://www.80meals.blogspot.com/

> I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs. IMHO,
> nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that anywhere.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright o¿o

I believe this statement is relevant to blogging:

"... everyone is fond
of relating his ... strength, both of his body and his mind,
and ... men are on this account a nuisance
one to the other. - Spinoza

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 20 Feb 2006 05:59:27p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
bennett?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Mon 20 Feb 2006 01:54:58p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?
>>

>>>A Dutch student is visiting people from 80 different countries for
>>>meals in their homes (In The Netherlands, as far as I can tell). Then
>>>she reports on the meals and the evening spent together, including
>>>interesting cross-cultural conversations.
>>>
>>> After the 80 meals, she'll invite all those people to a party.
>>>
>>>She writes in English.
>>>
>>>http://www.80meals.blogspot.com/

>> I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs.
>> IMHO, nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that
>> anywhere.
>>

> hey, mine isn't blather! that's probably why i don't get traffic

LOL! Could be, Saerah. <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs. IMHO,
> nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that anywhere.

I won't shoot you I can understand your point of view. I rarely read
blogs for the same reaosn. I still like this one, though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

jake wrote:
> I won't shoot you I can understand your point of view. I rarely read
> blogs for the same reaosn. I still like this one, though.

I took a quick look at it. Seems well enough written, but it is
quickly apparent that the writer is not a cook. If I read more of it I
would not expect to find knowledgeable comments about the ingredients
or the cooking. I'd call it an "eating blog," maybe, not a "food
blog." -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jake wrote:

>> I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs.
>> IMHO, nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that
>> anywhere.
>>

> I won't shoot you I can understand your point of view. I rarely read
> blogs for the same reaosn. I still like this one, though.

I agree. I found it fascinating and will be checking for updates. Thanks
for sharing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 20 Feb 2006 01:54:58p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?
>
> > A Dutch student is visiting people from 80 different countries for meals
> > in their homes (In The Netherlands, as far as I can tell). Then she
> > reports on the meals and the evening spent together, including
> > interesting cross-cultural conversations.
> >
> > After the 80 meals, she'll invite all those people to a party.
> >
> > She writes in English.
> >
> > http://www.80meals.blogspot.com/

> I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs. IMHO,
> nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that anywhere.

You mean the newsgroup? :-p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> jake wrote:

I rarely read
>> blogs for the same reaosn. I still like this one, though.

> I agree. I found it fascinating and will be checking for updates. Thanks
> for sharing.

Thanks for your comments. As a result I read this blog, too.
I particularly was interested in the Nepalese dinner blogs and liked these
comments:

"According to Rima, it is pretty unique to see men at work in the
kitchen .in Nepal it is usually the women who do all the cooking. her
husband Saroj (at left) enjoys preparing dinner."

as I spent three weeks in the mid-80's in Nepal. In the restaurants, I
never saw a woman cooking. Once we spent 2 nights at a high mountain
'outpost?' and the men served a rice pudding, the likes of which I've never
reproduced, but the rest of the food was certainly forgettable there and
everywhere else in Nepal. But from what I recall, it was mainly 'Indian'
food, though I've not been in India -- DH has been and he thought so.
No, this is not my blog -- certainly not interesting, just my recalled
experience with Nepalese food
Otherwise, the most unforgettable trait of the Nepalese men -- they sing all
the time when they are standing around (hanging around [hanging]).
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 22 Feb 2006 02:38:01a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it dee?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Mon 20 Feb 2006 01:54:58p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?
>>
>> > A Dutch student is visiting people from 80 different countries for
>> > meals in their homes (In The Netherlands, as far as I can tell). Then
>> > she reports on the meals and the evening spent together, including
>> > interesting cross-cultural conversations.
>> >
>> > After the 80 meals, she'll invite all those people to a party.
>> >
>> > She writes in English.
>> >
>> > http://www.80meals.blogspot.com/

>> I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs.
>> IMHO, nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that
>> anywhere.
>>

> You mean the newsgroup? :-p

Well, I see my type, but yes, "here too". :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 22 Feb 2006 02:38:01a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it dee?
>

> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> On Mon 20 Feb 2006 01:54:58p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?

> >> I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs.
> >> IMHO, nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that
> >> anywhere.
> >>

> > You mean the newsgroup? :-p

> Well, I see my type, but yes, "here too". :-)
>

> --
> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬
>
> Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

damn, I'm unscrewed! heh...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 22 Feb 2006 01:15:07a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Goomba38?

> jake wrote:
>>

>>> I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs.
>>> IMHO, nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that
>>> anywhere.
>>>

>> I won't shoot you I can understand your point of view. I rarely read
>> blogs for the same reaosn. I still like this one, though.

> I agree. I found it fascinating and will be checking for updates. Thanks
> for sharing.

Okay, so I looked. :-) Yes, this is one site I would enjoy.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jake wrote:

> A Dutch student is visiting people from 80 different countries for meals
> in their homes (In The Netherlands, as far as I can tell). Then she
> reports on the meals and the evening spent together, including
> interesting cross-cultural conversations.
>
> After the 80 meals, she'll invite all those people to a party.

And hopefully the guests will bring foods representing their different
countries...Dutch grub SUX -- BIG time!

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 22 Feb 2006 09:48:01a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it dee?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > You mean the newsgroup? :-p

>> Well, I see my type, but yes, "here too". :-)
>>

>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬ ________________________________________
>>
>> Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

> damn, I'm unscrewed! heh...

That's not to say that you have a few screws loose. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs. IMHO,
> nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that anywhere.

Yup, blogs bore the uck - fay out of me, they are just another internet
fad that has outlived it's usefulness (unlike the short - lived "flash
mob" mania of a few years ago). Political blogs of *any* stripe are
the worst...sheer windbaggery at it's most melifluous.

I can get my fill of "blogging" at most any bar stool in town, I don't
need to see someone dignify their barroom conversations by posting them
online...

Even newspapers are into the blog thang...the _Chicago Tribune_ is
infested with the blogs they pay their staff to write. Most all of it
is at the _My Weekly Reader_ level, it's just another example of SHEER
journalistic laziness (and still another reason why I generally detest
the _Chi Trib_)...

Blogging reminds me of the "diary" craze that swept the nation back in
the early 80's...I mean unless you are really talented and have really
interesting things to say what's the point? Unless you are a celebrity
or VIP of some stripe no one 50 years from now is gonna care about the
fact about what you ate and what you watched and when you took a dump
on July 21st 2005...

Folx are always saying that chat rooms and blogs will take the place of
Usenet, I absolutely don't believe it...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> as I spent three weeks in the mid-80's in Nepal. In the restaurants, I
> never saw a woman cooking.

Perhaps that may be because it was work. Just like in the West,
cooking was largely a woman's domain, but chefs were mostly men.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> jake wrote:
>
>>I won't shoot you I can understand your point of view. I rarely read
>>blogs for the same reaosn. I still like this one, though.

> I took a quick look at it. Seems well enough written, but it is
> quickly apparent that the writer is not a cook. If I read more of it I
> would not expect to find knowledgeable comments about the ingredients
> or the cooking. I'd call it an "eating blog," maybe, not a "food
> blog." -aem

Fair enough! I don't think here are any recipes. But the writer is
young, she ahsn't had time to learn aas much about food as older people.
Considering her age, I think what she writes is pretty well-informed.
She knows more thatn I did in my early 20s, that's for sure.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs.
>>> IMHO, nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here
>>> that anywhere.
>>>

>> I won't shoot you I can understand your point of view. I rarely
>> read blogs for the same reaosn. I still like this one, though.

> I agree. I found it fascinating and will be checking for updates. Thanks
> for sharing.

I really like what she is doing, visiting all those people. It has such
potential for cross culttural understandingAND culinary joy. I am glad
she's sharing it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jake wrote:

> I really like what she is doing, visiting all those people. It has
> such potential for cross culttural understandingAND culinary joy. I
> am glad she's sharing it.

I find it fairly entertaining. Blogs are like most things, there's good
and bad. It's not a type of content, it's a delivery mechanism. I'd say
there's just as much or more stupid blather (percentagewise) on usenet,
but we all seem to use it just fine. With blogs, like newsgroups,
choosing the correct ones are vital.

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:54:58 +0100, jake >
wrote:

>http://www.80meals.blogspot.com/

So cool. Thanks!

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I am the blogger ;)

Hi guys-
I have a sitemeter and can see how people ended up on my site...so
that's how I found this discussion. It makes me happy that people all
over the world are reading it and find it "one of the good ones".
It's true; it's not really a "food blog", it's more a "multicultural"
blog, I guess. The meals are just an excuse to get invited to people's
homes and be able to chat with them. Although I must say, I do always
really look forward to the food! My hosts try hard to make a nice meal,
because they know I will be writing about it!
I had the idea of the 80 meals first, and later decided I would make it
into a blog. Just because it's so easy to do.
So..mmm...make my happy and tell your friends about it, spread the
word...
Too bad none of you seem to live in the Netherlands, else I could ask
if you had international friends willing to cook for me.
Preview: Tomorrow Moroccan food, this weekend Chilean food and next
week Spanish...
Jenny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hey Jake-
hmmm, I've already got a German friend lined up, and he's a great cook
as well!
But if you know someone from Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Slovakia,
Austria, Ireland, etc. etc. it would be great.
Jenny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> I've been shot down for saying this before, but I abhor all blogs.
>>> IMHO, nothing but personal blather, blather, blather. I can here that
>>> anywhere.

>>Okay, so I looked. :-) Yes, this is one site I would enjoy.

Wayne, I am surprised at you. There was a time when I felt likewise
because blogs were like Dear Diary ....I can't decide whether to buy
that pink purse or not...

Those days are long gone in the main, and some of the most talented and
even famous chefs and writers blog. Since I am a cook, most of my
visited blogs are about food and cooking, and among them there are real
stars. If you haven't heard of Chocolate&Zucchini, then you may not
know that on the strength of that blog a 26 year old Parisienne has
garnered a six figure book deal in NY. They don't throw those around
on personal blather.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 09 Mar 2006 07:47:44a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?

>>>Okay, so I looked. :-) Yes, this is one site I would enjoy.

> Wayne, I am surprised at you. There was a time when I felt likewise
> because blogs were like Dear Diary ....I can't decide whether to buy
> that pink purse or not...
>
> Those days are long gone in the main, and some of the most talented and
> even famous chefs and writers blog. Since I am a cook, most of my
> visited blogs are about food and cooking, and among them there are real
> stars. If you haven't heard of Chocolate&Zucchini, then you may not
> know that on the strength of that blog a 26 year old Parisienne has
> garnered a six figure book deal in NY. They don't throw those around
> on personal blather.

You may very well be right. I'm just not interested, nor have the
additional time.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o

BIOYA

NPR food blog Tara General Cooking 25 10-08-2013 03:52 PM
CNN has a new food blog. ImStillMags General Cooking 4 07-08-2010 04:29 AM
Food Blog starchild General Cooking 7 31-01-2007 06:40 PM
New food blog echuta66 General Cooking 0 12-06-2005 04:59 AM
New Food Blog echuta66 General Cooking 0 04-06-2005 07:08 AM