Where to buy MSG

Old 19-02-2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Where to buy MSG

I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it? I know
some people have reported harmful reactions to it, although I remember
my mother using it on occasion and we never had any trouble with it.
Is there an online source for it anywhere or has the FDA banned it
entirely?

Old 19-02-2006, 10:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"iarwain" wrote

I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it?

Well, I bought some from Penzey's online, so it is available.
However, and I will be immediately and severely reprimanded if
I am wrong, but I thought Accent was MSG?

nancy

Old 19-02-2006, 10:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 19 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

"iarwain" wrote

I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it?

Well, I bought some from Penzey's online, so it is available.
However, and I will be immediately and severely reprimanded if
I am wrong, but I thought Accent was MSG?

nancy

Close enough to make no nevermind.

--
-Alan
Old 19-02-2006, 10:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

iarwain wrote:

I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it? I know
some people have reported harmful reactions to it, although I remember
my mother using it on occasion and we never had any trouble with it.
Is there an online source for it anywhere or has the FDA banned it
entirely?

Sometimes you can find it as Ve Tsin and I believe there are other
names, too. MSG stands for monosodium glutamate. So maybe reading labels
will help. It is a white powder.

It is NOT unhealthy, glutamtes are natural. you can find them in stocks,
for instance. I believe that whole thing about Chinese restaurants and
feeling sick turned out to have been caused by something other than MSG.

Old 19-02-2006, 10:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
jay

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 13:45:27 -0800, iarwain wrote:

Is there an online source for it anywhere or has the FDA banned it
entirely?

Try google.. Monosodium Glutamate..I think it is similar.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...49617?v=glance

Old 19-02-2006, 10:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

iarwain wrote:

Have they stopped making it?

Ha! Not likely. Look for Accent brand.
It's widely available.

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/whatstuff/stuff/8130sci3.html
Old 19-02-2006, 11:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

iarwain wrote:
I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it? I know
some people have reported harmful reactions to it, although I remember
my mother using it on occasion and we never had any trouble with it.
Is there an online source for it anywhere or has the FDA banned it
entirely?

If you're feeling flush you can buy Accent. For a lot less cabbage you
can purchase MSG on line from various venders, including Penzeys. Or
check your neighborhood ethnic markets, they typically carry no-name
MSG in one or two pound bulk plastic containers for even less cash and
no shipping... look in the bulk spice section.

Sheldon

Old 19-02-2006, 11:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

iarwain wrote:
I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it?

Not to my knowledge. Last I heard they made more than 1 million tons
of it per year. Look for Ajinomoto or Accent in your grocery store.
It's usually shelved with or near the spices. Sometimes near the
baking supplies. Full name is monosodium glutamate.

I know
some people have reported harmful reactions to it, although I remember
my mother using it on occasion and we never had any trouble with it.
Is there an online source for it anywhere or has the FDA banned it
entirely?

It's not only not banned but there is no maximum daily intake set for
it by the FDA or the major international health organizations. A small
percentage of people have a sort of allergic reaction (not really an
allergy, I think, but it behaves like that) to it. If you and your
family don't, then don't worry about it. If you were allergic you'd
also have to keep track of a couple dozen very commonly used foods and
additives that contain it. -aem

Old 19-02-2006, 11:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Feb 2006 13:45:27 -0800, iarwain wrote:

I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it? I know
some people have reported harmful reactions to it, although I remember
my mother using it on occasion and we never had any trouble with it.
Is there an online source for it anywhere or has the FDA banned it
entirely?

Look for the product called "Accent". It's a round, red and white
cardboard type container.
http://www.bgfoods.com/accent/accent_products.asp

This is interesting...
http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm
http://www.moscowfood.coop/archive/msg.html

Old 19-02-2006, 11:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
alg

"iarwain" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it? I know
some people have reported harmful reactions to it, although I remember
my mother using it on occasion and we never had any trouble with it.
Is there an online source for it anywhere or has the FDA banned it
entirely?

I go to my local Asian food store and buy Ajinomoto MSG in a bag - far
cheaper than Accent. I keep a salt shaker filled with a ~70/30% mixture of
salt/MSG.

Info on Ajinomoto MSG
http://www.ajiusafood.com/_zCommon/FramePage.asp?P=MSG

Old 19-02-2006, 11:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jake" wrote in message
. nl...
iarwain wrote:

I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it? I know
some people have reported harmful reactions to it, although I remember
my mother using it on occasion and we never had any trouble with it.
Is there an online source for it anywhere or has the FDA banned it
entirely?

Sometimes you can find it as Ve Tsin and I believe there are other names,
too. MSG stands for monosodium glutamate. So maybe reading labels will
help. It is a white powder.

It is NOT unhealthy, glutamtes are natural. you can find them in stocks,
for instance. I believe that whole thing about Chinese restaurants and
feeling sick turned out to have been caused by something other than MSG.

yeah, look out for the "B" or "C" rating card in the window..

Harriet & critters

Old 20-02-2006, 12:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Harriet Neal wrote:

"jake" wrote in message
. nl...

iarwain wrote:

[...]

I am sorry, I don't know what that means?

Does it help to add that MSG has never had a bad name in The
Netherlands- it seems to be an Anglosaxon scare (to me0?
Old 20-02-2006, 12:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

And it's the sixth flavor:

http://www.glutamate.org/media/glutamate.htm

--Blair

Old 20-02-2006, 12:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
"iarwain" wrote:

I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
find it in any local grocery store.

Ac'cent is the brand name I'm familiar with. I haven't looked for it
recently though.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups
Old 20-02-2006, 01:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jake" wrote

Does it help to add that MSG has never had a bad name in The
Netherlands- it seems to be an Anglosaxon scare (to me0?

Angles and Saxons are both Germanic peoples as are the Nederlanders. The
reaction to MSG is an individual thing and not a cultural or racial thing.

Charlie