Freezing Kabocha Pumpkin/Squash

Old 10-02-2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Freezing Kabocha Pumpkin/Squash

Hi all,

I have a recipe that calls for about 1/2 a kabocha (Red curry, Thai),
and at this point in time, I'm assuming I can actually find one in the
wilds of semirural Minnesota in February. Let's say I find one, make
the recipe, and have tons leftover. If I freeze it (primary
ingredients: meat, coconut milk, kabocha chunks, bamboo shoots), what
will the texture be like when it's reheated? I'm also willing to make
half a recipe and just freeze uncooked kabocha, if that will make a
difference.

Pumpkin puree seems to be the recommended route for freezing, so I
suspect that freezing as chunks will destroy the texture. Anyone BTDT?

-j.