Any Good Smoked Fish Recipes?

Old 08-02-2006, 07:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Any Good Smoked Fish Recipes?

I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to smoke
some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking fish?

Thx,

- A -

Old 08-02-2006, 07:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan S" wrote in message
m...
I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to smoke
some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking fish?

I've had excellent luck smoking king mackerel fillets as follows. I used
hickory but to be honest I do not think the type of wood makes much
difference.

Skinned fillets up to 1 inch thick.

Brine: 1/2c Morton kosher salt + 1/4 c sugar per quart of water.

Brine fish for 90 minutes in the fridge, maybe up to 2 hours if you want a
more salty taste. Rinse and place on a rack on a cookie sheet. Refrigerate
uncovered until pellicle forms (surface will be shiny and dry but slightly
tacky). Smoke for 2-3 hours. Longer time gives drier fish but more smoke
taste. I use a Brinkman electric water smoker that holds at about 200
degrees.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 08-02-2006, 07:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
jay

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 19:07:33 +0000, Alan S wrote:

I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to smoke
some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking fish?

I use some sea salt and cracked black pepper and a real smoker with
alder if I have it, or oak, or hickory..most any hardwood will work.
Keeping it simple seems to produce the best product. Fish jerky is
good also.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 19:07:33 +0000, Alan S wrote:

I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to
smoke
some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking fish?

I use some sea salt and cracked black pepper and a real smoker with
alder if I have it, or oak, or hickory..most any hardwood will work.
Keeping it simple seems to produce the best product. Fish jerky is
good also.

----------------------------
I have a real smoker and I have Oak and Pecan at the moment but haven't been
able to get down to the other side of town lately to pick up any Hickory.
Does anyone know where I can pick up Alder, Cherry or Apple in Austin
(preferably north)?

Thx Again,

- A -

Old 08-02-2006, 08:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
jay

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 20:17:43 +0000, Alan S wrote:

I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to
smoke
some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking fish?

I have a real smoker and I have Oak and Pecan at the moment but haven't been
able to get down to the other side of town lately to pick up any Hickory.
Does anyone know where I can pick up Alder, Cherry or Apple in Austin
(preferably north)?

Thx Again,

- A -

Where did you fish? I have caught plenty Mackerel and Shark off Matagorda.
Someone gave me the alder. Use the pecan. Mackerel is strong enough that
most any smoke other than a 2x4's will work well. The fruit woods are
milder and well suited to a milder flavored fish but on the Mackerel
would be wasted..since they are realitively scarce in central Texas in any
quantity. Post back your results.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" wrote in message
news
[...]

We went down to Port Aransas on a deep sea fishing trip last weekend. Caught
277 pounds of fish between the four of us but that was largely do to my
brother landing a 130 pound Black Tip Shark. I have never eaten King
Mackerel. It seems that people either think that it's good or think that
it's not good. The recipes I have found all look good to me and some of them
describe King Mackerel as being very tasty, but from what I gather it's
something better prepared carefully as opposed to just being tossed on the
grill. I guess I will form an opinion of my own since I have a freezer full
of it. I was told smoked Mackerel is very good. Know of any amazing King
Mackerel recipes? What is a good brine to soak the Mackerel in before
smoking? I'll be sure to use the Pecan and not the landscape timbers for
this one.

- A -