Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Any Good Smoked Fish Recipes?

I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to smoke
some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking fish?

Thx,

- A -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan S" > wrote in message
m...
>I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to smoke
>some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking fish?

I've had excellent luck smoking king mackerel fillets as follows. I used
hickory but to be honest I do not think the type of wood makes much
difference.

Skinned fillets up to 1 inch thick.

Brine: 1/2c Morton kosher salt + 1/4 c sugar per quart of water.

Brine fish for 90 minutes in the fridge, maybe up to 2 hours if you want a
more salty taste. Rinse and place on a rack on a cookie sheet. Refrigerate
uncovered until pellicle forms (surface will be shiny and dry but slightly
tacky). Smoke for 2-3 hours. Longer time gives drier fish but more smoke
taste. I use a Brinkman electric water smoker that holds at about 200
degrees.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 19:07:33 +0000, Alan S wrote:

> I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to smoke
> some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking fish?

I use some sea salt and cracked black pepper and a real smoker with
alder if I have it, or oak, or hickory..most any hardwood will work.
Keeping it simple seems to produce the best product. Fish jerky is
good also.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 19:07:33 +0000, Alan S wrote:
>
>> I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to
>> smoke
>> some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking fish?

> I use some sea salt and cracked black pepper and a real smoker with
> alder if I have it, or oak, or hickory..most any hardwood will work.
> Keeping it simple seems to produce the best product. Fish jerky is
> good also.

----------------------------
I have a real smoker and I have Oak and Pecan at the moment but haven't been
able to get down to the other side of town lately to pick up any Hickory.
Does anyone know where I can pick up Alder, Cherry or Apple in Austin
(preferably north)?

Thx Again,

- A -

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 20:17:43 +0000, Alan S wrote:

>>> I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to
>>> smoke
>>> some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking fish?

> I have a real smoker and I have Oak and Pecan at the moment but haven't been
> able to get down to the other side of town lately to pick up any Hickory.
> Does anyone know where I can pick up Alder, Cherry or Apple in Austin
> (preferably north)?
>
> Thx Again,
>
> - A -

Where did you fish? I have caught plenty Mackerel and Shark off Matagorda.
Someone gave me the alder. Use the pecan. Mackerel is strong enough that
most any smoke other than a 2x4's will work well. The fruit woods are
milder and well suited to a milder flavored fish but on the Mackerel
would be wasted..since they are realitively scarce in central Texas in any
quantity. Post back your results.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news

>> I have a real smoker and I have Oak and Pecan at the moment but haven't
>> been
>> able to get down to the other side of town lately to pick up any Hickory.
>> Does anyone know where I can pick up Alder, Cherry or Apple in Austin
>> (preferably north)?
>>
>> Thx Again,
>>
>> - A -

> Where did you fish? I have caught plenty Mackerel and Shark off Matagorda.
> Someone gave me the alder. Use the pecan. Mackerel is strong enough that
> most any smoke other than a 2x4's will work well. The fruit woods are
> milder and well suited to a milder flavored fish but on the Mackerel
> would be wasted..since they are realitively scarce in central Texas in any
> quantity. Post back your results.

We went down to Port Aransas on a deep sea fishing trip last weekend. Caught
277 pounds of fish between the four of us but that was largely do to my
brother landing a 130 pound Black Tip Shark. I have never eaten King
Mackerel. It seems that people either think that it's good or think that
it's not good. The recipes I have found all look good to me and some of them
describe King Mackerel as being very tasty, but from what I gather it's
something better prepared carefully as opposed to just being tossed on the
grill. I guess I will form an opinion of my own since I have a freezer full
of it. I was told smoked Mackerel is very good. Know of any amazing King
Mackerel recipes? What is a good brine to soak the Mackerel in before
smoking? I'll be sure to use the Pecan and not the landscape timbers for
this one.

- A -