FoodBanter.com

-   -   Brand name vs generic (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/82298-brand-name-vs-generic.html)

Switch[_1_] 07-02-2006 03:08 AM

Brand name vs generic

Generic sux

sarah bennett 07-02-2006 03:15 AM

Brand name vs generic

Switch wrote:
> Generic sux

well, I think wasting money sucks, but maybe that's just me :)

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Wayne Boatwright[_1_] 07-02-2006 03:30 AM

Brand name vs generic

On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?

> Generic sux

Obviously, just your opinion!

I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand names.
Some are even better.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA

Switch[_1_] 07-02-2006 03:38 AM

Brand name vs generic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?
>
> > Generic sux

> Obviously, just your opinion!
>
> I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand names.
> Some are even better.

name one

please, name one

Melba's Jammin'[_1_] 07-02-2006 04:01 AM

Brand name vs generic

In article .com>,
"Switch" > wrote:

> Generic sux

I think it depends on the item. When you say "generic" are you talking
about store brands? I think some things are fine, some are lacking.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-4-2006, Masa

sarah bennett 07-02-2006 04:04 AM

Brand name vs generic

Switch wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>>On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?
>>

>>>Generic sux

>>Obviously, just your opinion!
>>
>>I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand names.
>>Some are even better.

> name one
>
> please, name one

the "sebree" iodized salt is just as granulated and salty as morton's.

itsjoannotjoann 07-02-2006 04:06 AM

Brand name vs generic

Switch wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?
> >
> > > Generic sux

> > Obviously, just your opinion!
> >
> > I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand names.
> > Some are even better.

> name one
>
> please, name one

Ok, here's just a few. Food related: My grocery store's housebrand of
geen beans, tomatoes, and tomato paste, and tomato sauce are
outstanding. So is their canned chicken stock, just to name a few.
I've barely scratched the surface. Pain killers: Housebrands of
Tylenol, Advil, Aleeve, aspirin, and Emetrol are great and can save you
many many bucks.

Bad experience with a generic? Were you scared by a generic when you
were a child?

Switch[_1_] 07-02-2006 04:13 AM

Brand name vs generic

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I think it depends on the item. When you say "generic" are you talking
> about store brands?

all of em

if you wanna stay on top you gotta produce the best

this is why i pay a tad more...I know they are striving tooth and nail
to bring me the best
damn some floor sweepings

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] 07-02-2006 04:16 AM

Brand name vs generic

In article .com>,
"Switch" > wrote:

> Generic sux

Not always......

and more importantly, it saves money.

You just have to learn to pick and choose. A LOT of generics
are canned by the same places as the name brands! It's all in the
labelling.

Same with turkeys. All those "name brand" turkeys come from the SAME
turkey farms and the SAME processing plants! They just get bagged with
different labels, or special injection treatments to order.
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] 07-02-2006 04:18 AM

Brand name vs generic

In article .com>,
"Switch" > wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?
> >
> > > Generic sux

> > Obviously, just your opinion!
> >
> > I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand names.
> > Some are even better.

> name one
>
> please, name one

HCF (local store brand generic) veggies, both canned and frozen.
Their canned soups are also better as most are lower in salt.

Their boxed mac and cheese is better than Kraft.

dry pasta is dry pasta, and dry rice and beans are dry rice and beans.

Their baked goods, (bread and corn or flour tortillas) are FAR better
than, say, Mission brand. Mission sux!

I could go on....... but I'm probably ****ing in the ocean since you
have already made up your mind. ;-)
--
Om.

Wayne Boatwright[_1_] 07-02-2006 04:26 AM

Brand name vs generic

On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:38:08p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?
>>
>> > Generic sux

>> Obviously, just your opinion!
>>
>> I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand
>> names. Some are even better.

> name one
>
> please, name one

House brands of kidney beans, tomato products, beef and chicken broth,
tomato soup, flour, sugar, butter, most other dairy products, frozen
vegetables, bread, and on and on.

Sounds like you simply have a preconceived notion.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA

sarah bennett 07-02-2006 04:27 AM

Brand name vs generic

Switch wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

>>I think it depends on the item. When you say "generic" are you talking
>>about store brands?

> all of em
>
> if you wanna stay on top you gotta produce the best
>
> this is why i pay a tad more...I know they are striving tooth and nail
> to bring me the best
> damn some floor sweepings

all you are paying more for is advertising.

Dave Smith[_1_] 07-02-2006 04:42 AM

Brand name vs generic

Switch wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?
> >
> > > Generic sux

> > Obviously, just your opinion!
> >
> > I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand names.
> > Some are even better.

President's Choice.
Some No Name stuff sucks. I have been on a Cream Cheese kick lately (on
crackers with some red pepper jelly on top). I bought some No Name cream cheese
a few weeks ago thinking that if it was as good as the Philadelphia Cream Cheese
I would be saving about 30% on it. I was not impressed. The next week I came
across a three pack of Philadelphia Cream cheese for $6 instead of the usually
$3.27 per pack. It turned out to taste exactly the same as the no name stuff.
Go figger.

wff_ng_7 07-02-2006 04:44 AM

Brand name vs generic

"Switch" > wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> I think it depends on the item. When you say "generic" are you talking
>> about store brands?

> all of em
>
> if you wanna stay on top you gotta produce the best
>
> this is why i pay a tad more...I know they are striving tooth and nail
> to bring me the best

I hope you know that a lot of "generic" products, as in store brands, are
produced by the very same companies as the store brands. One recent example
I came across was powdered laundry detergent. The boxes was identical (other
than the name), the scoops was identical, the contents were identical. One
box was a major name brand, the other the store brand.

Aside from laundry detergent, here are some of the many products where I've
found the store brand to be equivalent (or sometimes better) than the brand
name:

butter
Cheerios cereal
Rice Krispies cereal
Rice, Corn, Wheat Chex cereal
corn flakes
mustard
cookies
extra virgin olive oil
shortening
salt
sugar
flour
fruit juices
tissues
dishwashing liquid
dishwasher detergent

Sometimes things might be "different", but one is not necessarily "better"
than another. Even two brand names of the same product might be different,
such as Post Raisin Bran vs Kelloggs Raisin Bran. I remember a coworker
who's husband wouldn't eat more than the first spoonful of the store brand
of a common breakfast cereal she had bought. She ended up having to throw
out the rest of the bowl and the rest of the box because he didn't like it.
As I had eaten both and knew them to be virtual equals, I found it to be
very amusing. I'm certain her husband had been brainwashed by all the
marketing and didn't have an open mind judging the products.

If you want to waste your money and be under the spell of the major brands,
be my guest. I evaluate every product for myself.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

itsjoannotjoann 07-02-2006 04:45 AM

Brand name vs generic

sarah bennett wrote:
> > damn some floor sweepings
> >

> all you are paying more for is advertising
>
> saerah

Sarah hit the nail on the head. My local grocery store chain, Kroger,
has some fantastic frozen biscuits. Guess who makes them and packages
them with the Kroger brand? Pillsbury.

Why such a brand snob?

Dave Smith[_1_] 07-02-2006 04:46 AM

Brand name vs generic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand
> >> names. Some are even better.

> > name one
> >
> > please, name one
> >

> House brands of kidney beans, tomato products, beef and chicken broth,
> tomato soup, flour, sugar, butter, most other dairy products, frozen
> vegetables, bread, and on and on.
>
> Sounds like you simply have a preconceived notion.

There aren't as many canneries for fruit and vegetables as there used to be.
Every brand had their own canneries. Most of the operations have been
centralized to regional canneries. They are pumping out the same products and
slapping other people's labels on it.

The father of a friend of mine had a soft drink bottling plant. They had only
a small share of the local market, but they also bottled and distributed some
of the national brands in their little plant. So the people who did like
their product could grab a bottle of the national brand and pay a lot more for
it, and they were virtually indistinguishable.

Dave Smith[_1_] 07-02-2006 04:48 AM

Brand name vs generic

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> Sarah hit the nail on the head. My local grocery store chain, Kroger,
> has some fantastic frozen biscuits. Guess who makes them and packages
> them with the Kroger brand? Pillsbury.

The biggest local cannery in owned by Nabisco. I have never seen the
Nabisco brand on canned fruit or vegetables.

Sheldon 07-02-2006 04:49 AM

Brand name vs generic

sarah bennett wrote:
> Switch wrote:
> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> >>On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?

> >>Obviously, just your opinion!
> >>
> >>I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand names.
> >>Some are even better.

> > name one
> >
> > please, name one
> >

> the "sebree" iodized salt is just as granulated and salty as morton's.

Salt is not a food, salt is necessary to life like air and water, but
they're are not foods. Camparing generic salt to the big name brands
is like comparing generic drug store items to the big name brands...
you gonna tell me that Rite Aid rubbing alcohol is different from
Johnson & Johnson's... there's no difference in these types of products
but they are not foods.

But with foods the name brands are superior, not necessarilly
nutritionally but in all other respects, such as taste, texture,
appearance... even the packaging is better, better packaging means
easier opening and better resealability, means less spoilage. There is
no way some $1.99/lb "Deli" cold cuts are better than say Boar's Head.,
not unless you have TIAD.

Sheldon

Dave Smith[_1_] 07-02-2006 04:53 AM

Brand name vs generic

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> You just have to learn to pick and choose. A LOT of generics
> are canned by the same places as the name brands! It's all in the
> labelling.
>
> Same with turkeys. All those "name brand" turkeys come from the SAME
> turkey farms and the SAME processing plants! They just get bagged with
> different labels, or special injection treatments to order.

It's not like the big companies have their own poultry farms. There are plants
around with processing facilities and there are poultry farms. The eggs go to
hatcheries. A farmer goes in and orders a bunch of hatchlings and sticks them in a
big bran to eat and grow for 6-8 weeks. Then it gets to the point where they are
not growing enough to get a return on the money it costs to feed them, so off they
go to the processing plant. If someone else in the area has a barn full of birds
ready to go at the same time, they don't get as much for the birds. If no one else
has birds ready to go they get a better price. The consumer has no idea what farm
their birds are coming from, and sometimes not even what country they are coming
from.

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] 07-02-2006 04:55 AM

Brand name vs generic

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> sarah bennett wrote:
> > Switch wrote:

> > > name one
> > >
> > > please, name one
> > >

> > the "sebree" iodized salt is just as granulated and salty as morton's.

> Salt is not a food, salt is necessary to life like air and water, but
> they're are not foods. Camparing generic salt to the big name brands
> is like comparing generic drug store items to the big name brands...
> you gonna tell me that Rite Aid rubbing alcohol is different from
> Johnson & Johnson's... there's no difference in these types of products
> but they are not foods.
>
> But with foods the name brands are superior, not necessarilly
> nutritionally but in all other respects, such as taste, texture,
> appearance... even the packaging is better, better packaging means
> easier opening and better resealability, means less spoilage. There is
> no way some $1.99/lb "Deli" cold cuts are better than say Boar's Head.,
> not unless you have TIAD.
>
> Sheldon

Maybe not Boars head, but generic lunch meat is every bit as good as,
say, Oscar Meyer. ;-)

Cheers!

Om -> Who does not buy luncheon meat of ANY brand anymore due to the
rediculous sodium levels, and nitrites......
--
Om.

Nancy Young[_1_] 07-02-2006 04:56 AM

Brand name vs generic

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

> Sounds like you simply have a preconceived notion.

Since I never see original posts by this barry person because I have
it killfiled, I think it has just been funnin youns.

nancy

Edwin Pawlowski 07-02-2006 05:02 AM

Brand name vs generic

"Switch" > wrote in message

> all of em
>
> if you wanna stay on top you gotta produce the best
>
> this is why i pay a tad more...I know they are striving tooth and nail
> to bring me the best
> damn some floor sweepings

I know people that work or worked in some of the major plants processing the
brand name foods you buy. They would stop the line, change packaging, they
restart with the same items under a different name for whatever store brand
was being made that day. Frozen dinners, dog food, breads, etc.

There are some with different specifications, but most are exactly the same,
just no big advertising budgets. I hope you keep paying for the high profit
brands so the companies can stay in business and make the generics for the
rest of us.

pablo 07-02-2006 05:22 AM

Brand name vs generic

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> "Switch" > wrote:
>
>> Generic sux

> I think it depends on the item. When you say "generic" are you talking
> about store brands? I think some things are fine, some are lacking.

*
So true. Spartan brand "chunk cheeses" (half pound packages) taste EXACTLY
like their Kraft counterparts right next to them --so much so that I bet
they're made in the same plant with the same recipe. Packaged differently
and sold under the Spartan brand. They're often on sale 3 for $5, though,
which is what I like most about them.

I also buy Spartan toasted oats (like Cheerios) and raisin bran. I think
the bacon is lacking, though, but not much worse than OM. Spartan ketchup
doesn't hold a candle to Heinz -- but then, what does?

Pablo

zxcvbob 07-02-2006 05:27 AM

Brand name vs generic

Switch wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>>On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?
>>

>>>Generic sux

>>Obviously, just your opinion!
>>
>>I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand names.
>>Some are even better.

> name one
>
> please, name one

Kroger brand corn chips are just as good as Fritos; maybe slightly better.

Bob

Jessica V. 07-02-2006 05:47 AM

Brand name vs generic

zxcvbob wrote:
> Switch wrote:
> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> >>On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?

> >>Obviously, just your opinion!
> >>
> >>I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand names.
> >>Some are even better.

> > name one
> >
> > please, name one
> >

> Kroger brand corn chips are just as good as Fritos; maybe slightly better.
>
> Bob

Hannaford brand woven wheat crackers trump Triscuits. They are crisp
without being as hard. Generic brands now aren't the black and white
boxed generics of my youth. Take canned tomatoes for instance, the
house brand has less sodium than the national brands....I like having
control of the saltiness of what I eat. House brand butter i buy for
most things, I do like Cabot better when I'm doing drawn butter for
dipping seafood in, but for most things house brand is just fine and
dandy. Saltines...house brand or Premium no difference IMO. Gulden's
mustard tastes the same as the house spicey golden mustard. I'll
take unbranded poultry any day over Perdue or Butterball....house
brands aren't injected with up tp 10% _____ solution.

Jessica

zxcvbob 07-02-2006 05:51 AM

Brand name vs generic

Jessica V. wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>>Switch wrote:

>>>name one
>>>
>>>please, name one
>>>

>>Kroger brand corn chips are just as good as Fritos; maybe slightly better.
>>
>>Bob

> Hannaford brand woven wheat crackers trump Triscuits. They are crisp
> without being as hard. Generic brands now aren't the black and white
> boxed generics of my youth. Take canned tomatoes for instance, the
> house brand has less sodium than the national brands....I like having
> control of the saltiness of what I eat. House brand butter i buy for
> most things, I do like Cabot better when I'm doing drawn butter for
> dipping seafood in, but for most things house brand is just fine and
> dandy. Saltines...house brand or Premium no difference IMO. Gulden's
> mustard tastes the same as the house spicey golden mustard. I'll
> take unbranded poultry any day over Perdue or Butterball....house
> brands aren't injected with up tp 10% _____ solution.
>
> Jessica

Some of the generic/store brands of canned ravioli really suck -- way
too sweet. Other brands are OK. The pasta itself is the same, it's the
sauce that's different.

Bob

sarah bennett 07-02-2006 06:10 AM

Brand name vs generic

zxcvbob wrote:

> Some of the generic/store brands of canned ravioli really suck -- way
> too sweet. Other brands are OK. The pasta itself is the same, it's the
> sauce that's different.
>
> Bob

yabbut, canned ravioli sucks in general, so its not a fair comparison :)

CookieChick[_1_] 07-02-2006 06:29 AM

Brand name vs generic

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Switch wrote:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> > On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?

>> > Obviously, just your opinion!
>> >
>> > I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand
>> > names.
>> > Some are even better.

> President's Choice.
> Some No Name stuff sucks. I have been on a Cream Cheese kick lately (on
> crackers with some red pepper jelly on top). I bought some No Name cream
> cheese
> a few weeks ago thinking that if it was as good as the Philadelphia Cream
> Cheese
> I would be saving about 30% on it. I was not impressed. The next week I
> came
> across a three pack of Philadelphia Cream cheese for $6 instead of the
> usually
> $3.27 per pack. It turned out to taste exactly the same as the no name
> stuff.
> Go figger.

I totally agree with President's Choice. Most of their products (that I
have tried) are better than brand name. Even a lot of the No Name is pretty
good.

Cookie

djs0302 07-02-2006 06:47 AM

Brand name vs generic

Sheldon wrote:

> But with foods the name brands are superior, not necessarilly
> nutritionally but in all other respects, such as taste, texture,
> appearance... even the packaging is better, better packaging means
> easier opening and better resealability, means less spoilage. There is
> no way some $1.99/lb "Deli" cold cuts are better than say Boar's Head.,
> not unless you have TIAD.
>
> Sheldon

There's no way I'm going to pay a minimum of $8.99 a pound for Bone
Head brand deli meat. I'd rather buy something cheap and have it turn
out to be better than expected than to buy something that costs much
more and be disappointed. For example, I bought a box of Kroger's
Private Selection brand (their premium brand) of gourmet peanut butter
cookies for about $3.00 for a box of about 15 cookies. They were good
but they certainly weren't worth the price I paid for them. I haven't
bought any since. On the otherhand, I bought a package of their FMV
brand (their cheapo brand) sandwich cookies for only 99 cents for a
package that contained at least 60 cookies. The Private Selection
cookies were the better quality cookie but they weren't so much better
that they were worth the extra cost. I have gone back and bought more
of the FMV brand cookies.

cathyxyz 07-02-2006 07:29 AM

Brand name vs generic

sarah bennett wrote:
> Switch wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>

>>> I think it depends on the item. When you say "generic" are you talking
>>> about store brands?

>> all of em
>>
>> if you wanna stay on top you gotta produce the best
>>
>> this is why i pay a tad more...I know they are striving tooth and nail
>> to bring me the best
>> damn some floor sweepings
>>

> all you are paying more for is advertising.

Don't know if I agree about the advertising... our chain stores here
spend a lot of money on advertising their no-name brand foodstuffs and
household products... As for the quality of no-name stuff, it depends on
the product and the store-brand. Some are good, some are bad. I buy the
stuff we prefer, whether it is a brand name or not. Saw some store brand
toilet paper the other day that was more expensive than a very well
known brand - so its not always cheaper, either.

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

cathyxyz 07-02-2006 07:54 AM

Brand name vs generic

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 6 Feb 2006 18:38:08 -0800, "Switch" >
> wrote:
>
> >name one
> >
> >please, name one

> I don't know why people even bother responding to you and your
> little game(s).

Because we can? I thought it was an interesting topic. I can't speak
for anyone else around here, but I resent that remark.
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

ms. tonya 07-02-2006 08:00 AM

Brand name vs generic

(Switch)WROTE:
Generic sux--------------------------------------------------
Response: Food wise it depends on store, Spartan name is not as good as
brand but have found other store names just as good as leading name.

Med.'s is different story, known way too many people including myself
that most generic's do not work and have ended up sick till drs have
gone through the long process & convinced our HMO"S for brand name not
generic. Thyroid pills are just one example where generic ends in trash
plus feeling miserable till health provider gives the ok for the more
expensive sythroid.

-L.[_2_] 07-02-2006 08:04 AM

Brand name vs generic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?
>
> > Generic sux

> Obviously, just your opinion!
>
> I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand names.
> Some are even better.

Most store brands are made by big-name manufacturers and relabeled.
There are a few things I insist on buying brand-name, but honestly, I
can't even think of them right now. Canned tomatoes come to mind,
simply because many store-brand tomatoes tend to run on the acidic end,
and some have too much salt.

Bottom line is, why waste money if you don't have to? Same goes for
tennis shoes - they are all made in China from the same materials by
the same people, so usually you are paying for the cut and the name
brand. There are plenty of tennies out there that are just as
"high-quality" as the big-name Nike, Adidas, Reebok - you simpy have to
look at how they are made and find a cut that fits your foot. Everlast
is a brand that comes to mind - originally made for boxing, they now
make an entire line of cross-trainers. Their men's shoes are as well
made as the name-brand shoes.

It's like people who insist they *must * have a Lexus. It's a Toyota,
Honey, with a hiked-up sticker.

-L.

sarah bennett 07-02-2006 08:40 AM

Brand name vs generic

ms. tonya wrote:
> (Switch)WROTE:
> Generic sux--------------------------------------------------
> Response: Food wise it depends on store, Spartan name is not as good as
> brand but have found other store names just as good as leading name.
>
> Med.'s is different story, known way too many people including myself
> that most generic's do not work and have ended up sick till drs have
> gone through the long process & convinced our HMO"S for brand name not
> generic. Thyroid pills are just one example where generic ends in trash
> plus feeling miserable till health provider gives the ok for the more
> expensive sythroid.

arent generic medications required to have the same active ingredients?

Denise~*[_1_] 07-02-2006 08:47 AM

Brand name vs generic

> Sarah hit the nail on the head. My local grocery store chain, Kroger,
> has some fantastic frozen biscuits. Guess who makes them and packages
> them with the Kroger brand? Pillsbury.
>
> Why such a brand snob?

A long time ago I was talking with a supermarket manager who said he
visited a frozen foods chicken plant & they packaged up the same chicken
for 'Banquet' & also their own 'store brand'. The store brand was about
half as much as Banquet.

-L.[_2_] 07-02-2006 08:52 AM

Brand name vs generic

cathyxyz wrote:
> Don't know if I agree about the advertising... our chain stores here
> spend a lot of money on advertising their no-name brand foodstuffs and
> household products... As for the quality of no-name stuff, it depends on
> the product and the store-brand. Some are good, some are bad. I buy the
> stuff we prefer, whether it is a brand name or not. Saw some store brand
> toilet paper the other day that was more expensive than a very well
> known brand - so its not always cheaper, either.

That's actually a very good point! Often I can buy brand-name on sale
for the same or less than the store-brand. And often that is what
seals my decision!

-L.
(proud to be frugal)

Lisa Ann[_1_] 07-02-2006 11:20 AM

Brand name vs generic

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:38:08p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?
>

> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?

> >> Obviously, just your opinion!
> >>
> >> I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand
> >> names. Some are even better.

> > name one
> >
> > please, name one
> >

> House brands of kidney beans, tomato products, beef and chicken broth,
> tomato soup, flour, sugar, butter, most other dairy products, frozen
> vegetables, bread, and on and on.
>
> Sounds like you simply have a preconceived notion.

Piggy backing on Wayne here...

There are very few things I buy name-brand over generic...such as:

I prefer Perdue Whole Chickens over any other (they're not injected.)

I prefer Johnsonville Italian Sausage (sweet) over any other.

I prefer eggs gathered at my sister-in-law-to-be's place other than
store-bought eggs...oh wait, that's not a name brand, is it?

I'm sure I've got a few other preferences...but for the most part...store
brands.

Lisa Ann

Lisa Ann[_1_] 07-02-2006 11:26 AM

Brand name vs generic

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> sarah bennett wrote:
> > > damn some floor sweepings
> > >

> > all you are paying more for is advertising
> >
> > saerah
> >

> Sarah hit the nail on the head. My local grocery store chain, Kroger,
> has some fantastic frozen biscuits. Guess who makes them and packages
> them with the Kroger brand? Pillsbury.
>

> Why such a brand snob?

Perhaps for the same reason that people go out and buy clothes with other
people's names emblazoned on them? Perhaps the OP is afraid that friends
will come over and inspect the cabinets?

Until a few weeks ago, I worked at a plant that made baby wipes. All of
them. Know what changed when we went from one brand to another? The
labels. The towel didn't change and the liquid didn't change. Just the
labels.

Oh, I take that back...when we went from scented to unscented (or
vice-versa), the liquid changed. And the cleaning process took 12 hours.
Other than that though...

Lisa Ann

[email protected] 07-02-2006 12:08 PM

Brand name vs generic

Switch wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > I think it depends on the item. When you say "generic" are you talking
> > about store brands?

> all of em
>
> if you wanna stay on top you gotta produce the best
>
> this is why i pay a tad more...I know they are striving tooth and nail
> to bring me the best
> damn some floor sweepings

You are a marketer's dream come true :)
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Switch[_1_] 07-02-2006 12:32 PM

Brand name vs generic

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Switch" > wrote:
>
> > Generic sux

> Not always......

ah! I do buy housebrand, colombian coffee when Im too poor to buy the
beans I like.

> and more importantly, it saves money.

yes it did

> You just have to learn to pick and choose. A LOT of generics
> are canned by the same places as the name brands! It's all in the
> labelling.

now this Im not sure....you know, you ever gotten a string in the grean
beans?
an end piece with the stem still on it

> Same with turkeys. All those "name brand" turkeys come from the SAME
> turkey farms and the SAME processing plants! They just get bagged with
> different labels, or special injection treatments to order.

elaine fixed a KILLER turkey potpie the other night, im good for a
while in this category.

--

Oh sure, I've bought most things generic before; chicken can be the
worst as far as taste and appearance; I think cheap chickens are

but I do appreciate the quality I can trust by paying just a tad more.

Far as the foods coming off the same assembly line, I don't know about
this.
Everyone seems to be using words like, virtually and probably the
same...
--

so far every can good I've ever saved 10 cent on is not worth the
reduction in quality.

Toothpaste is definetely not the same
Medicine is not the same - excluding prescription alternatives, i don't
have any.

I buy ibuprofens, I can't stand the generic ver of ibuprofren...it just
does not work on me like
Advil brand does. The pills are even harder to swallow.
--

I think most of us could do a blind comparison and pick out the shitty
generic versions.