FoodBanter.com

-   -   Brand name vs generic (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/82298-brand-name-vs-generic.html)

-L.[_2_] 07-02-2006 06:01 PM

Brand name vs generic

Nancy Young wrote:

> I remember those aisles of white cans with black lettering from I would
> say the mid 70s? Kinda before my food purchasing days. Designed to
> make you feel the whole No Frills thing, but it sure gave me the feeling of
> lower quality, true or not.
>
> nancy

Sure was easier to find what you wanted, though. No denying 3-inch
letters spelling out PINTO BEANS.

-L.

Sheldon 07-02-2006 06:05 PM

Brand name vs generic

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> "Switch" > wrote:
>
> > Generic sux

> It depends on the item! Some generic items can be pretty good. For
> example, the store brand canned peas at the ShopRite where I shop are
> every bit as good as the DelMonte brand, but about thirty cents cheaper.

Store brands are NOT generic... it's the store BRAND! What's the
matter with you.

There have always been store brands, just that they were smaller
packers than the big national brands. The smaller packers would give
exclusivity to certain stupidmarket chains, like White Rose, S & W,
etal. Often those brands are superior to the big national brands...
it's really a case of some national brands being more national than
others. It's only in the past few years that large chains began
putting their own label on products... who knew stupidmarkets were here
to stay, let alone grow so huge. And many local brands are far, far
better than any of the big national brands, especially dairy
products.

But again, store brands are NOT generic... generic is when you buy
powdered milk in that plain white box, has no brand whatsoever...
happens to be just as good as Carnation (cost only a few pennies less
too), but very few generic food products are as good as branded
products. I buy the generic powdered milk, it's the only generic food
I buy... I'm sure it's Carnation, even the packaging is exactly
identical. But I do buy many store brand foods and find them equal if
not better than the big national brands. Any of the generic canned
goods I've tried are awful.

Sheldon

Nancy Young[_1_] 07-02-2006 06:32 PM

Brand name vs generic

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> I remember those aisles of white cans with black lettering from I would
>> say the mid 70s? Kinda before my food purchasing days. Designed to
>> make you feel the whole No Frills thing, but it sure gave me the feeling
>> of
>> lower quality, true or not.

> Sure was easier to find what you wanted, though. No denying 3-inch
> letters spelling out PINTO BEANS.

(laugh!) Good one.

nancy

Boron Elgar[_1_] 07-02-2006 06:33 PM

Brand name vs generic

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 17:59:32 GMT, Ken Knecht >
wrote:

>"Switch" > wrote in
roups.com:

>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>>> Switch?

>>> Obviously, just your opinion!
>>>
>>> I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand
>>> names. Some are even better.

>> name one
>>
>> please, name one
>>

>For one, I think the Wal-Mart brand (Great Value?) of bean/bacon soup is
>better than the Campbells. And much cheaper. However, I think the Kraft
>mac & cheese is better than the generic.

Del Monte makes some of the Wal-Mart soups. They also make a lot of
other store brand soups.

Boron

L'Espérance 07-02-2006 06:54 PM

Brand name vs generic

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
<snip & tacking onto>

> Okay, that is a couple of areas where I have to agree with Sheldon.
> I'd not be caught dead with generic TP! It's Cottonelle or Scott.

The store brand TP is just fine but if Cottonelle is on sale we stock
up. We basically shop the sales for these types of items anyway so only
use store brand if we are waiting for a sale.

> For ziplock freezer and sandwich bags, I have found the store brand
> (generic) to be just fine tho'.

Absolutely, no way would I *ever* use generic zip freezer bags. I did
that one year for a large batch of stewed tomatoes. The bags burst and
not only did we waste the food, we had to clean the freezer. Never
again! I use *only* ziploc freezer bags. Generic sandwich bags are
fine as is generic cling wrap, wax paper, and parchment paper.

> Paper towels. Generic is crap.
> I use "Brawny" and get them in the 12 pack. A roll of those lasts 3
> times as long as the generic (and yes I bought some to compare once!) so
> if it's half the price, it's not worth it!

We use generic for a couple of reasons. In most cases they are cheaper
and we don't use a lot anyway.

> I shop around. If a name brand really out-performs a generic, I stick
> with the name brand.

I tend to be a brand name snob as one poster put it *but* it is because
of the way I shop to begin with. I don't buy things like canned soups,
packaged mixes, canned fruits or vegetables, packaged deli meats, etc.
The majority of our grocery money is spent in the produce section
followed by the dairy section. The next sizable amount is spent in the
frozen food section for some types of seafood and occasionally a package
of frozen vegetables if I didn't put up enough. Right now I'm playing
with hot sauces and mustards, so those are brand names as are the other
types of sauces for Asian cooking. I'm really picky about my oils and
while I've found a couple of adequate generic oils, I only by brand name
olive oils.

> I also use generic trash bags.

I re-use grocery bags generously donated from others for garbage. I'm
not about to buy bags to toss stuff out!

George[_1_] 07-02-2006 06:57 PM

Brand name vs generic

Sheldon wrote:

> But again, store brands are NOT generic... generic is when you buy
> powdered milk in that plain white box, has no brand whatsoever...
> happens to be just as good as Carnation (cost only a few pennies less
> too), but very few generic food products are as good as branded
> products. I buy the generic powdered milk, it's the only generic food
> I buy... I'm sure it's Carnation, even the packaging is exactly
> identical. But I do buy many store brand foods and find them equal if
> not better than the big national brands. Any of the generic canned
> goods I've tried are awful.
>
> Sheldon

You do realize that those minimilist black & white printed generic
products haven't been offered since sometime in the 80s?

Sheldon 07-02-2006 07:07 PM

Brand name vs generic

George wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>

> > But again, store brands are NOT generic... generic is when you buy
> > powdered milk in that plain white box, has no brand whatsoever...
> > happens to be just as good as Carnation (cost only a few pennies less
> > too), but very few generic food products are as good as branded
> > products. I buy the generic powdered milk, it's the only generic food
> > I buy... I'm sure it's Carnation, even the packaging is exactly
> > identical. But I do buy many store brand foods and find them equal if
> > not better than the big national brands. Any of the generic canned
> > goods I've tried are awful.
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> You do realize that those minimilist black & white printed generic
> products haven't been offered since sometime in the 80s?

Maybe not where you live. I see generic in some NY stupidmarkets all
the time, depends on the socio-econonic climate of the neighborhood.
And regardless, store brands are NOT generic... a store brand IS a
brand. Often store brands are superiour. Tiffany & Co. is a store
brand.

Switch[_1_] 07-02-2006 07:15 PM

Brand name vs generic

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> I prefer frozen veggies anyway and don't
> buy too many canned/tinned veggies. One exception is tomatoes and I have to
> have Contadina. However, I am real picky about tinned tuna and clams.

for real!

as if there is ANY nutrition in a can of green beans.

they enzymes have long since been dead

there is no comparison between fresh/frozen or fresh and canned / as
far as nutrition.

Eggggsellent pointe'

CookieChick[_1_] 07-02-2006 07:28 PM

Brand name vs generic

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> CookieChick wrote:

>> > President's Choice.
>> > Some No Name stuff sucks. I have been on a Cream Cheese kick lately
>> > (on
>> > crackers with some red pepper jelly on top). I bought some No Name
>> > cream
>> > cheese
>> > a few weeks ago thinking that if it was as good as the Philadelphia
>> > Cream
>> > Cheese
>> > I would be saving about 30% on it. I was not impressed. The next week I
>> > came
>> > across a three pack of Philadelphia Cream cheese for $6 instead of the
>> > usually
>> > $3.27 per pack. It turned out to taste exactly the same as the no name
>> > stuff.
>> > Go figger.
>> >

>> I totally agree with President's Choice. Most of their products (that I
>> have tried) are better than brand name.

> President's Choice IS a brand name... the brand is "President's
> Choice". duh

No. It is generic. It Loblaw's store brand. Duh, lol.

Cookie

Switch[_1_] 07-02-2006 07:32 PM

Brand name vs generic

Dave Smith wrote:

> I recently had to replace my ground ginger. I finally used it up after many
> years and it had probably long ago lost most of its flavour. I had a choice
> of the $3.99 bottle or the bulk food store. I went to the bulk food store and
> filled a little plastic bag with what looked to be about enough to refill the
> bottle. It was 15 cents.

see on the premise of being something I only buy every 4 years
i feel that a dollar a year is reasonable

Sheldon 07-02-2006 08:13 PM

Brand name vs generic

Sqwertz wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
> >Sqwertz wrote:

> >> I don't know why people even bother responding to you and your
> >> little game(s).

> >You just did. But then again you're not people.

> AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!
>
> That was funny. Keep 'em coming, Jew boy.

I got yer jew juice, right up yer shit chute! <G>

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

sarah bennett 07-02-2006 08:17 PM

Brand name vs generic

Switch wrote:
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>

>>Do some serious label reading.
>>You will find a lot of the same "plant" codes for canning location
>>between brands vs. generic.
>>
>>Seriously.
>>
>>Some generic pet foods are made by Purina.

> I don't doubt that
>
> I think you buy less food when you get the best quality
> and of course it takes less of a -better quality, to meet the same
> nutritional needs.
>
> excluding any subsequental vet visits from health problems, lol
> (which may have been prevented with a higher quality food)

But expensive does not mean better quality. Better quality means better
quality.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

sarah bennett 07-02-2006 08:21 PM

Brand name vs generic

Sheldon wrote:
> Kswck wrote:
>
>>There is some differences in 'store brands' and named brands.
>>A few years ago, Pathmark had their idea of 'generic' foods-mostly canned
>>stuff. It was marketed in plain white labels. The quality was inferior to
>>named brands and many store brands. But the idea was a cheap alternative for
>>those who couldn't afford better. The idea died and the line was
>>discontinued.
>>For the most part, store brands of canned goods are about the same, with
>>only some differences. Dry goods, (napkins, etc) are the same.

> You use generic TP... you're full of shit!

I use the cheapest TP. why pay more for something that I wipe up shit
with, seriously?

> No way are paper products equal... neither are plastic wraps/bags, and
> like that... and don't even think about buying any other waxed paper
> than Cut-Rite.

I use the Meijer brand and have never had any problems.

sarah bennett 07-02-2006 08:24 PM

Brand name vs generic

-L. wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>>I remember those aisles of white cans with black lettering from I would
>>say the mid 70s? Kinda before my food purchasing days. Designed to
>>make you feel the whole No Frills thing, but it sure gave me the feeling of
>>lower quality, true or not.
>>
>>nancy

> Sure was easier to find what you wanted, though. No denying 3-inch
> letters spelling out PINTO BEANS.
>
> -L.

I remember the aisle of no-brand stuff from when I was a kid. My mom
swears that for a while the no-brand beer was actually labatt or molson
or something and that it was decent. We never had much of that stuff,
though, because the no-brand stuff tended to not have kosher certification.

sarah bennett 07-02-2006 08:25 PM

Brand name vs generic

Switch wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>

>>I recently had to replace my ground ginger. I finally used it up after many
>>years and it had probably long ago lost most of its flavour. I had a choice
>>of the $3.99 bottle or the bulk food store. I went to the bulk food store and
>>filled a little plastic bag with what looked to be about enough to refill the
>>bottle. It was 15 cents.

> see on the premise of being something I only buy every 4 years
> i feel that a dollar a year is reasonable

but why pay a dollar a year when you can pay 3.75 cents a year?

Dave Smith[_1_] 07-02-2006 08:48 PM

Brand name vs generic

sarah bennett wrote:

> > You use generic TP... you're full of shit!
> >

> I use the cheapest TP. why pay more for something that I wipe up shit
> with, seriously?

Cuz I hate when my finger goes through.

What is the cheapest? I find the lowest price TP is a bad deal. They are small
rolls on big tubes. There is not much on them. I go for the big rolls on small
tubes and get twice as much.

Stan Horwitz 07-02-2006 09:31 PM

Brand name vs generic

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> George wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:
> >

> > > But again, store brands are NOT generic... generic is when you buy
> > > powdered milk in that plain white box, has no brand whatsoever...
> > > happens to be just as good as Carnation (cost only a few pennies less
> > > too), but very few generic food products are as good as branded
> > > products. I buy the generic powdered milk, it's the only generic food
> > > I buy... I'm sure it's Carnation, even the packaging is exactly
> > > identical. But I do buy many store brand foods and find them equal if
> > > not better than the big national brands. Any of the generic canned
> > > goods I've tried are awful.
> > >
> > > Sheldon
> > >

> > You do realize that those minimilist black & white printed generic
> > products haven't been offered since sometime in the 80s?

> Maybe not where you live. I see generic in some NY stupidmarkets all
> the time, depends on the socio-econonic climate of the neighborhood.
> And regardless, store brands are NOT generic... a store brand IS a
> brand. Often store brands are superiour. Tiffany & Co. is a store
> brand.

Store brands are generic for some items, not for others. It depends on
the store and the type of item. That jar of pasta sauce with the white
label may have been produced at the same factory as the store branded
jar. As far as I know, there's no obvious way for the typical consumer
to see who actually made the items they buy in the grocery store unless
it is clearly branded.

Stan Horwitz 07-02-2006 09:36 PM

Brand name vs generic

In article > ,
sarah bennett > wrote:

> ms. tonya wrote:
> > (Switch)WROTE:
> > Generic sux--------------------------------------------------
> > Response: Food wise it depends on store, Spartan name is not as good as
> > brand but have found other store names just as good as leading name.
> >
> > Med.'s is different story, known way too many people including myself
> > that most generic's do not work and have ended up sick till drs have
> > gone through the long process & convinced our HMO"S for brand name not
> > generic. Thyroid pills are just one example where generic ends in trash
> > plus feeling miserable till health provider gives the ok for the more
> > expensive sythroid.
> >

> arent generic medications required to have the same active ingredients?

Yes, but the manufacturing procedure may sometimes differ.

This reminds me, I could have swore that Zocor's patent expired this
month. I even made a point of asking my doctor for a generic
subscription of Zocor last week when I went for a checkup. Although I
don't have to get any refills for another week or two, I was at
Wal-Greens yesterday so I asked the pharmacist to make sure that the
next time my Zocor is due for auto-renewal, that they substitute the new
generic brand instead.

The pharmacist insisted that Zocor did not go off patent, but my doctor
said he knew it was going off patent. Does anyone know what is happening
with Zocor?

Arthur Shapiro 07-02-2006 09:48 PM

Brand name vs generic

In article >, Stan Horwitz > wrote:

>Store brands are generic for some items, not for others. It depends on
>the store and the type of item

I was once on a camping trip where some house brand canned baked beans were
purchased. After they were dumped into the kettle to be heated, one person
took his Swiss Army knife and carefully sliced the label. He pulled it back
and there was an S&W label underneath! I was rather astounded, but he
asserted that this happens all the time - "they" just take existing brand name
cans and cover them with the generic-name-of-the-day label.

Joseph Littleshoes[_1_] 07-02-2006 10:07 PM

Brand name vs generic

Lisa Ann wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...

>>>name one
>>>
>>>please, name one
>>>

>>House brands of kidney beans, tomato products,

Tomato sauce for pasta i would have to agree with, while i buy few
commercial food products, i keep a local brand of tomato sauce around
for time when i need to fix a quick meal.

I was so unhappy with the 'name brand' versions, to me they were very
bland, that i decided not to pay the 3 - 5 dollar price for it and
instead bought a locally produced generic version which was very good
and only 1 dollar for the same amount.

I have been told that often times generics are for a local market and
the producers of them don't feel the need to make them as bland as many
nationally marketed 'brand names'.
---
JL

beef and chicken broth,

Switch[_1_] 07-02-2006 10:15 PM

Brand name vs generic

sarah bennett wrote:

> but why pay a dollar a year when you can pay 3.75 cents a year?

:

Usually you get what you pay for.

sarah bennett 07-02-2006 10:29 PM

Brand name vs generic

Dave Smith wrote:
> sarah bennett wrote:
>

>>>You use generic TP... you're full of shit!
>>>

>>I use the cheapest TP. why pay more for something that I wipe up shit
>>with, seriously?

> Cuz I hate when my finger goes through.
>
> What is the cheapest? I find the lowest price TP is a bad deal. They are small
> rolls on big tubes. There is not much on them. I go for the big rolls on small
> tubes and get twice as much.

yeah, the cheapest-cheapest is like that. I look for the best price per
sheet. I don't give a shit if it's quilted :)

sarah bennett 07-02-2006 10:31 PM

Brand name vs generic

Switch wrote:
> sarah bennett wrote:
>

>>but why pay a dollar a year when you can pay 3.75 cents a year?

> :
>
> Usually you get what you pay for.

sesame seeds are sesame seeds, unless they have started to go rancid. I
have found that packaged spices and seasonings are much more likely to
be stale/rancid than the bulk stuff.

Gregory Morrow[_1_] 07-02-2006 11:41 PM

Brand name vs generic

CookieChick wrote:

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > CookieChick wrote:

brand

the

name

> >> I totally agree with President's Choice. Most of their products (that

> >> have tried) are better than brand name.

> > President's Choice IS a brand name... the brand is "President's
> > Choice". duh
> >

> No. It is generic. It Loblaw's store brand. Duh, lol.

You are wrong. Generics are not "branded" in any way, the packaging looks
like WWII surplus, all yellow and black and olive drab...check out an old
bomb shelter some time, you'll see perfect examples of generic packaging ;-)

Government surplus foodstuffs distributed via food programs (school lunch,
WIC, etc.) are a perfect example of this. Most are simply labelled with the
contents, e.g. "Cheese Food Product" or "Powdered Milk" or whatever...

President's Choice IS a brand and that brand is advertised AS such, just
like Green Giant or Progresso or Smucker's or Tim Horton's or whatever.
Generics are not branded at all except with the name of the contents and the
description of said contents as required by law (nutrition labelling, etc.).

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow[_1_] 07-02-2006 11:44 PM

Brand name vs generic

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On 7 Feb 2006 08:40:06 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> >Sqwertz wrote:

> >> I don't know why people even bother responding to you and your
> >> little game(s).

> >You just did. But then again you're not people.

> AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!
>
> That was funny. Keep 'em coming, Jew boy.

How many brain cells did you slaughter to come up with that brilliant
riposte Sqwertz...

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow[_1_] 07-02-2006 11:53 PM

Brand name vs generic

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
> > sarah bennett > wrote in news:8pTFf.30556
> > :

> > > well, I think wasting money sucks, but maybe that's just me :)
> > >

> > I remember I needed sesame seedss so I went to the supermarket spice

rack
> > and got a McCormick small plastic jar for about $5. Then in the foreign
> > cuisine aisle I found a jar three times as large at 1/2 the price.
> >
> > Andy

> I bought 5 lbs. at the oriental market for $7.00. ;-)
>
> Were cheaper at one point but they went up.
>
> I saved the shaker jar I'd bought and froze the big bag. I fill the jar
> as needed....

Yep, that's what I do...plus which I buy my sesame seeds at a local health
food store, good quality and cheap (about three bux per pound and that's
either for white or black...).

I can't remember the last time I bought spices at a soopermart, I always buy
at ethnic or health food places or The Spice House [ www.thespicehouse.com ]
here in Chicawgo...cheaper by a factor of at least two or three, in some
cases cheaper by a factor of tens.

Folx here think that sesame seeds are some kind of treat or luxury, in fact
they are a staple in many "poor" ethnic cuisines, etc., e.g. Asian, Indian,
Middle Eastern. In those places sesame is abundant and cheap and used by
even the poorest folk...

--
Best
Greg

Tara 08-02-2006 12:24 AM

Brand name vs generic

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 13:33:45 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>Del Monte makes some of the Wal-Mart soups. They also make a lot of
>other store brand soups.

How do you find out the manufacturer of various store brands? I buy
many store brands and I'd be interested to learn where they are made.

Tara

Wayne Boatwright[_1_] 08-02-2006 12:26 AM

Brand name vs generic

On Tue 07 Feb 2006 04:41:53p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Gregory
Morrow?

> CookieChick wrote:
>
>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> > President's Choice IS a brand name... the brand is "President's
>> > Choice". duh
>> >

>> No. It is generic. It Loblaw's store brand. Duh, lol.

> You are wrong. Generics are not "branded" in any way, the packaging
> looks like WWII surplus, all yellow and black and olive drab...check out
> an old bomb shelter some time, you'll see perfect examples of generic
> packaging ;-)
>
> Government surplus foodstuffs distributed via food programs (school
> lunch, WIC, etc.) are a perfect example of this. Most are simply
> labelled with the contents, e.g. "Cheese Food Product" or "Powdered
> Milk" or whatever...
>
> President's Choice IS a brand and that brand is advertised AS such, just
> like Green Giant or Progresso or Smucker's or Tim Horton's or whatever.
> Generics are not branded at all except with the name of the contents and
> the description of said contents as required by law (nutrition
> labelling, etc.).

I think you're pushing the point, Greg. I also think most people consideer
store brands as "generic".

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

Tara 08-02-2006 12:27 AM

Brand name vs generic

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 12:02:26 -0500, George >
wrote:

>Maybe you haven't been out for a while but those black and white
>labelled "generic" products went away a long time ago (maybe 15~20
>years) and were replaced with "store brand" goods.

Many years ago, my uncle made generic Easter eggs -- just hard boiled
white eggs with the word "egg" printed in black marker. Cracked us
all up (ha! pun!).

Tara

Curly Sue 08-02-2006 12:36 AM

Brand name vs generic

On 6 Feb 2006 18:08:10 -0800, "Switch" >
wrote:

>Generic sux

For many things, yes. I can't compromise on frozen vegetables. I've
tried store brand and it's always sent me back to Green Giant. Corn
is about the only frozen vegetable that I've found is ok no-name.
Store brand peanut butter can be pretty good.

Sue(tm)

wff_ng_7 08-02-2006 12:38 AM

Brand name vs generic

"Gregory Morrow"
<gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote:
> You are wrong. Generics are not "branded" in any way, the packaging looks
> like WWII surplus, all yellow and black and olive drab...check out an old
> bomb shelter some time, you'll see perfect examples of generic packaging
> ;-)
>
> Government surplus foodstuffs distributed via food programs (school lunch,
> WIC, etc.) are a perfect example of this. Most are simply labelled with
> the
> contents, e.g. "Cheese Food Product" or "Powdered Milk" or whatever...
>
> President's Choice IS a brand and that brand is advertised AS such, just
> like Green Giant or Progresso or Smucker's or Tim Horton's or whatever.
> Generics are not branded at all except with the name of the contents and
> the
> description of said contents as required by law (nutrition labelling,
> etc.).

I think the original poster was talking about store brands and such rather
than true generics. When is the last time you saw generics in a supermarket?
The 1970s was the last time I remember. And does the government distribute
surplus food anymore (other than school lunch or other institutional
settings)? The last time I remember seeing that was in the 1960s, when my
retired grandfather used to get it. I thought distribution of government
surplus was replaced by food stamps decades ago. Even the food stamps are
gone now around here... the poor use government issued debit cards to buy
food. I see that frequently at my neighborhood supermarket, as there are
several public housing complexes in the immediate area.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Curly Sue 08-02-2006 12:45 AM

Brand name vs generic

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:48:30 GMT, (Arthur
Shapiro) wrote:

>In article >, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
>
>>Store brands are generic for some items, not for others. It depends on
>>the store and the type of item

>I was once on a camping trip where some house brand canned baked beans were
>purchased. After they were dumped into the kettle to be heated, one person
>took his Swiss Army knife and carefully sliced the label. He pulled it back
>and there was an S&W label underneath! I was rather astounded, but he
>asserted that this happens all the time - "they" just take existing brand name
>cans and cover them with the generic-name-of-the-day label.

There are companies which provide the products for various store
brands. Eg. Red Wing makes the peanut butter for numerous "store
brands."

Sue(tm)

Tara 08-02-2006 12:49 AM

Brand name vs generic

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 00:38:29 GMT, "wff_ng_7" >
wrote:

> And does the government distribute
>surplus food anymore (other than school lunch or other institutional
>settings)?

My aunt and uncle's home and community was destroyed in a flood in the
early eighties. I remember them receiving some surplus food at this
time. Honey and peanut butter stick in my mind.

Tara

Glitter Ninja 08-02-2006 12:55 AM

Brand name vs generic

"itsjoannotjoann" > writes:

>Sarah hit the nail on the head. My local grocery store chain, Kroger,
>has some fantastic frozen biscuits. Guess who makes them and packages
>them with the Kroger brand? Pillsbury.

Kroger does have very good store brand foods. I also like Best Choice
brand for most canned and frozen veggies and packaged cereals. It may
only be available in my area though and not nationwide.

Stacia

Glitter Ninja 08-02-2006 01:00 AM

Brand name vs generic

sarah bennett > writes:

>yeah, the cheapest-cheapest is like that. I look for the best price per
>sheet. I don't give a shit if it's quilted :)

I actually prefer the store brand because it seems to be slightly less
scented with all sorts of nasty perfumes. One day when I couldn't get
the store brand I bought Angel Soft and it was EXACLY the same as the
store brand (Kroger), but twice the price.

Stacia

Switch[_1_] 08-02-2006 01:38 AM

Brand name vs generic

sarah bennett wrote:

> But expensive does not mean better quality. Better quality means better
> quality.

well, I knew you was dying to say that...you've been beating around the
bush long enough

modom[_1_] 08-02-2006 02:44 AM

Brand name vs generic

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 11:50:08 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>Me too on canned meats.
>Tuna has to be "chicken of the sea".
>
>That is one item that is vastly superior in flavor to the store brand!

If you have access to Sprouts http://www.sprouts.com/ try their store
brand tuna. I love it.

modom

CookieChick[_1_] 08-02-2006 03:03 AM

Brand name vs generic

"Gregory Morrow"
<gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote in
message ink.net...

> CookieChick wrote:
>
>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

> brand

> the

> name

>> > President's Choice IS a brand name... the brand is "President's
>> > Choice". duh
>> >

>> No. It is generic. It Loblaw's store brand. Duh, lol.

> You are wrong. Generics are not "branded" in any way, the packaging looks
> like WWII surplus, all yellow and black and olive drab...check out an old
> bomb shelter some time, you'll see perfect examples of generic packaging
> ;-)
>
> Government surplus foodstuffs distributed via food programs (school lunch,
> WIC, etc.) are a perfect example of this. Most are simply labelled with
> the
> contents, e.g. "Cheese Food Product" or "Powdered Milk" or whatever...
>
> President's Choice IS a brand and that brand is advertised AS such, just
> like Green Giant or Progresso or Smucker's or Tim Horton's or whatever.
> Generics are not branded at all except with the name of the contents and
> the
> description of said contents as required by law (nutrition labelling,
> etc.).
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

Well then, I have never in my 35 years seen a generic product. Ever. We
have always been told generic is store brand. I will ask the manager of
Loblaws next time I am there if he considers the store brand "generic". I
am very curious. Maybe he is an idiot too.

So what you are saying, is even when the pharmacist says the generic drug is
cheaper, he means the "other" brand, as all drugs are named as well. KWIM?
According to you, he's wrong, I will tell him that next time. :)

Never seen a bomb shelter either. Don't know of anyone in Canada who has
one.

Never been in the Army so I don't know what government surplus looks like
either.

What a sheltered life I live, lol. Its all that shopping in high end
grocery stores that I do, lol.

Cookie

Sheldon 08-02-2006 03:09 AM

Brand name vs generic

CookieChick wrote:
> "Gregory Morrow"
> <gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote in
> message ink.net...
> >
> > CookieChick wrote:
> >
> >> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...

> > brand

> > the

> > name

> >> No. It is generic. It Loblaw's store brand. Duh, lol.

> > You are wrong. Generics are not "branded" in any way, the packaging looks
> > like WWII surplus, all yellow and black and olive drab...check out an old
> > bomb shelter some time, you'll see perfect examples of generic packaging
> > ;-)
> >
> > Government surplus foodstuffs distributed via food programs (school lunch,
> > WIC, etc.) are a perfect example of this. Most are simply labelled with
> > the
> > contents, e.g. "Cheese Food Product" or "Powdered Milk" or whatever...
> >
> > President's Choice IS a brand and that brand is advertised AS such, just
> > like Green Giant or Progresso or Smucker's or Tim Horton's or whatever.
> > Generics are not branded at all except with the name of the contents and
> > the
> > description of said contents as required by law (nutrition labelling,
> > etc.).
> >
> > --
> > Best
> > Greg
> >

> Well then, I have never in my 35 years seen a generic product.

Hmm, 35 is a baby. I have shoes much older than you.

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] 08-02-2006 03:10 AM

Bulk Sesame seeds (was Brand name vs generic)

In article .net>,
"Gregory Morrow"
<gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
> >
> > > sarah bennett > wrote in news:8pTFf.30556
> > > :

> > > I remember I needed sesame seedss so I went to the supermarket spice

> rack
> > > and got a McCormick small plastic jar for about $5. Then in the foreign
> > > cuisine aisle I found a jar three times as large at 1/2 the price.
> > >
> > > Andy

> > I bought 5 lbs. at the oriental market for $7.00. ;-)
> >
> > Were cheaper at one point but they went up.
> >
> > I saved the shaker jar I'd bought and froze the big bag. I fill the jar
> > as needed....

> Yep, that's what I do...plus which I buy my sesame seeds at a local health
> food store, good quality and cheap (about three bux per pound and that's
> either for white or black...).
>
> I can't remember the last time I bought spices at a soopermart, I always buy
> at ethnic or health food places or The Spice House [ www.thespicehouse.com ]
> here in Chicawgo...cheaper by a factor of at least two or three, in some
> cases cheaper by a factor of tens.
>
> Folx here think that sesame seeds are some kind of treat or luxury, in fact
> they are a staple in many "poor" ethnic cuisines, etc., e.g. Asian, Indian,
> Middle Eastern. In those places sesame is abundant and cheap and used by
> even the poorest folk...

I've developed a serious liking for sesame seeds!
I'll sprinkle them over the top of grilled fish or chicken, into stir
fry's and over steamed veggies.

They add a nice texture and flavor. ;-d
--
Peace, Om.