FoodBanter.com

FoodBanter.com (http://www.foodbanter.com/)
-   General Cooking (http://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/)
-   -   Brand name vs generic (http://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/82298-brand-name-vs-generic.html)

Dave Smith[_1_] 07-02-2006 03:46 AM

Brand name vs generic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand
names. Some are even better.

name one

please, name one

House brands of kidney beans, tomato products, beef and chicken broth,
tomato soup, flour, sugar, butter, most other dairy products, frozen
vegetables, bread, and on and on.

Sounds like you simply have a preconceived notion.

There aren't as many canneries for fruit and vegetables as there used to be.
Every brand had their own canneries. Most of the operations have been
centralized to regional canneries. They are pumping out the same products and
slapping other people's labels on it.

The father of a friend of mine had a soft drink bottling plant. They had only
a small share of the local market, but they also bottled and distributed some
of the national brands in their little plant. So the people who did like
their product could grab a bottle of the national brand and pay a lot more for
it, and they were virtually indistinguishable.

Dave Smith[_1_] 07-02-2006 03:48 AM

Brand name vs generic

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

Sarah hit the nail on the head. My local grocery store chain, Kroger,
has some fantastic frozen biscuits. Guess who makes them and packages
them with the Kroger brand? Pillsbury.

The biggest local cannery in owned by Nabisco. I have never seen the
Nabisco brand on canned fruit or vegetables.

Sheldon 07-02-2006 03:49 AM

Brand name vs generic

sarah bennett wrote:
Switch wrote:
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?

Generic sux

Obviously, just your opinion!

I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand names.
Some are even better.

name one

please, name one

the "sebree" iodized salt is just as granulated and salty as morton's.

Salt is not a food, salt is necessary to life like air and water, but
they're are not foods. Camparing generic salt to the big name brands
is like comparing generic drug store items to the big name brands...
you gonna tell me that Rite Aid rubbing alcohol is different from
Johnson & Johnson's... there's no difference in these types of products
but they are not foods.

But with foods the name brands are superior, not necessarilly
nutritionally but in all other respects, such as taste, texture,
appearance... even the packaging is better, better packaging means
easier opening and better resealability, means less spoilage. There is
no way some $1.99/lb "Deli" cold cuts are better than say Boar's Head.,
not unless you have TIAD.

Sheldon

Dave Smith[_1_] 07-02-2006 03:53 AM

Brand name vs generic

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

You just have to learn to pick and choose. A LOT of generics
are canned by the same places as the name brands! It's all in the
labelling.

Same with turkeys. All those "name brand" turkeys come from the SAME
turkey farms and the SAME processing plants! They just get bagged with
different labels, or special injection treatments to order.

It's not like the big companies have their own poultry farms. There are plants
around with processing facilities and there are poultry farms. The eggs go to
hatcheries. A farmer goes in and orders a bunch of hatchlings and sticks them in a
big bran to eat and grow for 6-8 weeks. Then it gets to the point where they are
not growing enough to get a return on the money it costs to feed them, so off they
go to the processing plant. If someone else in the area has a barn full of birds
ready to go at the same time, they don't get as much for the birds. If no one else
has birds ready to go they get a better price. The consumer has no idea what farm
their birds are coming from, and sometimes not even what country they are coming
from.

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] 07-02-2006 03:55 AM

Brand name vs generic

In article .com,
"Sheldon" wrote:

sarah bennett wrote:
Switch wrote:
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Maybe not Boars head, but generic lunch meat is every bit as good as,
say, Oscar Meyer. ;-)

Cheers!

Om - Who does not buy luncheon meat of ANY brand anymore due to the
rediculous sodium levels, and nitrites......
--
Om.

Nancy Young[_1_] 07-02-2006 03:56 AM

Brand name vs generic

"Wayne Boatwright" wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote

Sounds like you simply have a preconceived notion.

Since I never see original posts by this barry person because I have
it killfiled, I think it has just been funnin youns.

nancy

Edwin Pawlowski 07-02-2006 04:02 AM

Brand name vs generic

"Switch" wrote in message

all of em

if you wanna stay on top you gotta produce the best

this is why i pay a tad more...I know they are striving tooth and nail
to bring me the best
damn some floor sweepings

I know people that work or worked in some of the major plants processing the
brand name foods you buy. They would stop the line, change packaging, they
restart with the same items under a different name for whatever store brand
was being made that day. Frozen dinners, dog food, breads, etc.

There are some with different specifications, but most are exactly the same,
just no big advertising budgets. I hope you keep paying for the high profit
brands so the companies can stay in business and make the generics for the
rest of us.

pablo 07-02-2006 04:22 AM

Brand name vs generic

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
In article .com,
"Switch" wrote:

Generic sux

I think it depends on the item. When you say "generic" are you talking
about store brands? I think some things are fine, some are lacking.

*
So true. Spartan brand "chunk cheeses" (half pound packages) taste EXACTLY
like their Kraft counterparts right next to them --so much so that I bet
they're made in the same plant with the same recipe. Packaged differently
and sold under the Spartan brand. They're often on sale 3 for $5, though,
which is what I like most about them.

I also buy Spartan toasted oats (like Cheerios) and raisin bran. I think
the bacon is lacking, though, but not much worse than OM. Spartan ketchup
doesn't hold a candle to Heinz -- but then, what does?

Pablo

zxcvbob 07-02-2006 04:27 AM

Brand name vs generic

Switch wrote:
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?

Generic sux

Obviously, just your opinion!

I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand names.
Some are even better.

name one

please, name one

Kroger brand corn chips are just as good as Fritos; maybe slightly better.

Bob

Jessica V. 07-02-2006 04:47 AM

Brand name vs generic

zxcvbob wrote:
Switch wrote:
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?

Generic sux

Obviously, just your opinion!

I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand names.
Some are even better.

name one

please, name one

Kroger brand corn chips are just as good as Fritos; maybe slightly better.

Bob

Hannaford brand woven wheat crackers trump Triscuits. They are crisp
without being as hard. Generic brands now aren't the black and white
boxed generics of my youth. Take canned tomatoes for instance, the
house brand has less sodium than the national brands....I like having
control of the saltiness of what I eat. House brand butter i buy for
most things, I do like Cabot better when I'm doing drawn butter for
dipping seafood in, but for most things house brand is just fine and
dandy. Saltines...house brand or Premium no difference IMO. Gulden's
mustard tastes the same as the house spicey golden mustard. I'll
take unbranded poultry any day over Perdue or Butterball....house
brands aren't injected with up tp 10% _____ solution.

Jessica

zxcvbob 07-02-2006 04:51 AM

Brand name vs generic

Jessica V. wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:

Switch wrote:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Some of the generic/store brands of canned ravioli really suck -- way
too sweet. Other brands are OK. The pasta itself is the same, it's the
sauce that's different.

Bob

sarah bennett 07-02-2006 05:10 AM

Brand name vs generic

zxcvbob wrote:

Some of the generic/store brands of canned ravioli really suck -- way
too sweet. Other brands are OK. The pasta itself is the same, it's the
sauce that's different.

Bob

yabbut, canned ravioli sucks in general, so its not a fair comparison :)

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

CookieChick[_1_] 07-02-2006 05:29 AM

Brand name vs generic

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Switch wrote:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Mon 06 Feb 2006 07:08:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Switch?

Generic sux

Obviously, just your opinion!

I've found that most generic products are at least as good as brand
names.
Some are even better.

President's Choice.
Some No Name stuff sucks. I have been on a Cream Cheese kick lately (on
crackers with some red pepper jelly on top). I bought some No Name cream
cheese
a few weeks ago thinking that if it was as good as the Philadelphia Cream
Cheese
I would be saving about 30% on it. I was not impressed. The next week I
came
across a three pack of Philadelphia Cream cheese for $6 instead of the
usually
$3.27 per pack. It turned out to taste exactly the same as the no name
stuff.
Go figger.

I totally agree with President's Choice. Most of their products (that I
have tried) are better than brand name. Even a lot of the No Name is pretty
good.

Cookie

djs0302 07-02-2006 05:47 AM

Brand name vs generic

Sheldon wrote:

But with foods the name brands are superior, not necessarilly
nutritionally but in all other respects, such as taste, texture,
appearance... even the packaging is better, better packaging means
easier opening and better resealability, means less spoilage. There is
no way some $1.99/lb "Deli" cold cuts are better than say Boar's Head.,
not unless you have TIAD.

Sheldon

There's no way I'm going to pay a minimum of $8.99 a pound for Bone
Head brand deli meat. I'd rather buy something cheap and have it turn
out to be better than expected than to buy something that costs much
more and be disappointed. For example, I bought a box of Kroger's
Private Selection brand (their premium brand) of gourmet peanut butter
cookies for about $3.00 for a box of about 15 cookies. They were good
but they certainly weren't worth the price I paid for them. I haven't
bought any since. On the otherhand, I bought a package of their FMV
brand (their cheapo brand) sandwich cookies for only 99 cents for a
package that contained at least 60 cookies. The Private Selection
cookies were the better quality cookie but they weren't so much better
that they were worth the extra cost. I have gone back and bought more
of the FMV brand cookies.

cathyxyz 07-02-2006 06:29 AM

Brand name vs generic

sarah bennett wrote:
Switch wrote:
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

I think it depends on the item. When you say "generic" are you talking
about store brands?

all of em

if you wanna stay on top you gotta produce the best

this is why i pay a tad more...I know they are striving tooth and nail
to bring me the best
damn some floor sweepings

all you are paying more for is advertising.

Don't know if I agree about the advertising... our chain stores here
spend a lot of money on advertising their no-name brand foodstuffs and
household products... As for the quality of no-name stuff, it depends on
the product and the store-brand. Some are good, some are bad. I buy the
stuff we prefer, whether it is a brand name or not. Saw some store brand
toilet paper the other day that was more expensive than a very well
known brand - so its not always cheaper, either.

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)