Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I need help with a GOOD Texas style barbeque sauce!

I've been looking and trying and have come close but still not there. I
don't want sweet, or vinegar, or hickory.

Thanks for the help.

Marc

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marc wrote:
> I've been looking and trying and have come close but still not there. I
> don't want sweet, or vinegar, or hickory.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Marc

Texas barbecue sauce /is/ sweet (and hot and tomatoey, and balanced with
a little vinegar.) Perhaps you're having trouble because it's actually
a different style that your want? Maybe a mustard based sauce?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marc wrote:

> I've been looking and trying and have come close but still not there.
> I don't want sweet, or vinegar, or hickory.

There are a number of sauce recipes in the BBQ FAQ:

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/9-3.html#9.4

Look them over, see if anything appeals to you.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . net>,
"Marc" > wrote:

> I've been looking and trying and have come close but still not there. I
> don't want sweet, or vinegar, or hickory.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Marc

I know this sounds wimpy, but I really like Kraft original BBQ sauce....

It's great in the nuker on chicken!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Marc" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I've been looking and trying and have come close but still not there. I
> don't want sweet, or vinegar, or hickory.
>
> Thanks for the help.

Look for Stubb's BBQ sauce. It's the best store-bought stuff I've found.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 15:31:07 +0000, Marc wrote:

> I've been looking and trying and have come close but still not there. I
> don't want sweet, or vinegar, or hickory.

Why don't you post your recipe that you have come close with and maybe
someone here can help tweak in the direction you want to go? What are
you cooking? Different styles can work better depending on what you
intend to use it on. I would never use bottled smoke in a BBQ
sauce..should get plenty of real smoke on the pit. Are you using this
as a finishing sauce or are you slathering the BBQ as it cooks?
I like BBQ beef that needs no sauce.. usually a good sign of " BBQ
done right" on the pit. I am sure you will get plenty of opinions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marc (N_O-S_P_A_M) wrote:
> I've been looking and trying and have come close but still not there. I
> don't want sweet, or vinegar, or hickory.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Marc

I'm from central Georgia/Alabama and our bbq sauce is mustard based.
I don't live in the area any more, so I improvise with what I call:

"1/3-1/3-1/3"

1/3 ketchup
1/3 yellow mustard
1/3 vinegar ( I mix it up often using various vinegars)
Lastly, I usually add some heat in the form of an habanero sauce

Try it on slow roasted spareribs... though very simple in form, the
flavor is actually quite complex. kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 15:31:07 GMT, "Marc"
> wrote:

>I've been looking and trying and have come close but still not there. I
>don't want sweet, or vinegar, or hickory.

Get a smoker pit. It ain't the sauce, my man. It ain't the sauce.

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I need help with a GOOD Texas style barbeque sauce! (0/1)

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 15:31:07 GMT, "Marc"
> rummaged among random neurons and
opined:

>I've been looking and trying and have come close but still not there. I
>don't want sweet, or vinegar, or hickory.

I've used the following for years. It's very tangy:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Barbecue Sauce

barbecue

3/4 cup chili sauce
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup onion; grated
2 tablespoons dry mustard
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika

Combine all ingredients. Store refrigerated.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>I know this sounds wimpy, but I really like Kraft original BBQ sauce....
>It's great in the nuker on chicken!

If that's what works for you, you're as right as anybody. You're lucky
your sauce is popular. There was a whole set of Jack Daniels BBQ sauces
available a couple years ago. Now there are only two or three. One of
the ones they dropped was called 'Spicy Western Chargrill.' It was as
good as any BBQ sauce I've ever had from a bottle. It kicked ass on
barbecued ribs. I miss it every day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Christopher Helms" > wrote:

> >I know this sounds wimpy, but I really like Kraft original BBQ sauce....
> >It's great in the nuker on chicken!

> If that's what works for you, you're as right as anybody. You're lucky
> your sauce is popular. There was a whole set of Jack Daniels BBQ sauces
> available a couple years ago. Now there are only two or three. One of
> the ones they dropped was called 'Spicy Western Chargrill.' It was as
> good as any BBQ sauce I've ever had from a bottle. It kicked ass on
> barbecued ribs. I miss it every day.

Hmmm... Central Market carries a lot of the Jack Daniels products,
indcluding the mustard. I've never tried it tho'. :-)

Kraft BBQ sauces are fairly mild and just seem to have "that" flavor for
me. I can put chicken in the microwave, douse it well and cover it, nuke
until done.

Chicken is the only meat I will nuke...
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "Christopher Helms" > wrote:
>

>>>I know this sounds wimpy, but I really like Kraft original BBQ sauce....
>>>It's great in the nuker on chicken!

>>If that's what works for you, you're as right as anybody. You're lucky
>>your sauce is popular. There was a whole set of Jack Daniels BBQ sauces
>>available a couple years ago. Now there are only two or three. One of
>>the ones they dropped was called 'Spicy Western Chargrill.' It was as
>>good as any BBQ sauce I've ever had from a bottle. It kicked ass on
>>barbecued ribs. I miss it every day.
>>

> Hmmm... Central Market carries a lot of the Jack Daniels products,
> indcluding the mustard. I've never tried it tho'. :-)

I have the Jack Daniels Stone Ground Dijon mustard. While it has the
Jack Daniels label on it making one think there is whiskey as an
ingredient, there is no whiskey in it. Ingredients: water, mustard
seed, distilled vinegar, salt, white wine, citric acid, tartaric acid,
spices, natural flavor.

> Kraft BBQ sauces are fairly mild and just seem to have "that" flavor for
> me. I can put chicken in the microwave, douse it well and cover it, nuke
> until done.
>
> Chicken is the only meat I will nuke...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tomatoey yes but not sweet.