Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default restaurant serve frozen swanson dinners?

anyone ever seen this on the food channel?

My folks told me about it (they watched it on a food channel) but some
people say it's just an urban legend.

They had cameras in the restaurant, it is no hoax.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Tibbs > wrote:

>anyone ever seen this on the food channel?
>
>My folks told me about it (they watched it on a food channel) but some
>people say it's just an urban legend.
>
>They had cameras in the restaurant, it is no hoax.

I never watch food channel so dunno.

But many restaurants buy the commercials equivalents of
frozen dinners and serve them up. If your lasagna or
coq au vin is a little too generic looking, that might
be what you're facing.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
them up. If your lasagna or
> coq au vin is a little too generic looking, that might
> be what you're facing.
>
> Steve

yeah cisco vends alot of frozen entrees, I think alot of italian places
use frozen raviolis and the like.

the show they told me about, the frozen dinners were excusively
swanson, it was in the mid west where they was doing this, the place
stayed packed, and people loved it, their comments were...like, "we
love it!"...

I could see me ordering one up...

they showed in the kitchen, a walk in full of swanson, they showed them
popping them into the oven, cooking for a very full house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 19:34:14 -0800, Switch wrote:

> Steve Pope wrote:
> them up. If your lasagna or
>> coq au vin is a little too generic looking, that might
>> be what you're facing.
>>
>> Steve

> yeah cisco vends alot of frozen entrees, I think alot of italian places
> use frozen raviolis and the like.

Cisco does IT ..Sysco distributes food products..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

T wrote:
> You forgot that the networking Cisco is in talks to buy TiVo.
>
> If you have a home or wireless network chances are you've got Cisco gear
> in your house. Cisco owns both Netgear and Linksys.

No it doesn't.

Netgear was owned by Bay Networks. Then Bay was bought by Nortel, and
just before Nortel could kiss bankruptcy, Netgear's managers bought
their division out. It's since gone public. It's in talks to partner
with Skype, which will tend to **** Cisco. Cisco does own Linksys.

Netgear makes good networking equipment.

Sysco makes crappy food, shelf-stabilizes it (via chemistry or cold),
and trucks it into most low-margin, low-price food sources in most
North American cities. If you can tell the coffee from the cup, it's
probably not a Sysco product. And those neutron-green pickles will be
setting off Pretzeldent Bush's new "WMD detectors" from now until the
election...

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lots of places use pre prepared food Dennys food came back frozen
inside once, they apologized and said we will nuke it some more.

local giant eagle, big grocery chain use stauffers frozen foods in
their hot food dept.

they mark up the food like a 1000%

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Mr Tibbs > wrote:
>
> >anyone ever seen this on the food channel?
> >
> >My folks told me about it (they watched it on a food channel) but some
> >people say it's just an urban legend.
> >
> >They had cameras in the restaurant, it is no hoax.

> I never watch food channel so dunno.
>
> But many restaurants buy the commercials equivalents of
> frozen dinners and serve them up. If your lasagna or
> coq au vin is a little too generic looking, that might
> be what you're facing.

The average American is apparently OK with such. Places like
Applebee's are not going out of business. Ask one of those places if
you can see their kitchen sometime. You know, the place where they
reheat the frozen entrees. Americans get what they merit.

> Steve

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BoboBonobo" > wrote in news:1139243157.568171.187800
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Ask one of those places if
> you can see their kitchen sometime.

You know thats a law here in the U.S. I believe. If they won't allow you in
the kitchen they can be fined and naturally the health department will also
visit.

I believe this to be true, I could be wrong. I forget who told me this.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Isn't that what being a restaurant is all about? Giving people what
they want? Which in our case (the U.S) is most often not having to cook
it ourselves. Yes, we have some amazing restaurants that are all about
their food quality, prep, taste and appearance but since the majority
of our restaurants are restaurants of convienance, it's makes perfectly
good sense that chains and franchises do whatever they can to meet that
demand.
Most Americans want their food fast, edible and cheap... most don't
care about the "dining experience" or "quality of ingredients"- if they
did, half of them wouldn't eat their breakfast in the car on the way to
work or feed their children "Happy Meals" consisting of fat, calories
and of no nutritional value.

"What's fer dinner? Hell woman! The bowling alley has the biggest
burgers in town!! Whatchoo' think's fer dinner!?!" kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BoboBonobo wrote:

> The average American is apparently OK with such. Places like
> Applebee's are not going out of business. Ask one of those places if
> you can see their kitchen sometime. You know, the place where they
> reheat the frozen entrees. Americans get what they merit.
>
> --Bryan

I don't know about your Applebee's franchise, but our local one is
absolutely fantastic. My only complaint is that the portions are way
too large.

In any event, I wish I had their source for the lemon grilled salmon;
for the orange chicken & rice bowl, and a few other items. They are
perfectly prepared, no matter how they do it, and they have a terrific
wait staff.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy1 wrote:
> BoboBonobo wrote:
>
> > The average American is apparently OK with such. Places like
> > Applebee's are not going out of business. Ask one of those places if
> > you can see their kitchen sometime. You know, the place where they
> > reheat the frozen entrees. Americans get what they merit.
> >
> > --Bryan

> I don't know about your Applebee's franchise, but our local one is
> absolutely fantastic. My only complaint is that the portions are way
> too large.
>
> In any event, I wish I had their source for the lemon grilled salmon;
> for the orange chicken & rice bowl, and a few other items. They are
> perfectly prepared, no matter how they do it, and they have a terrific
> wait staff.

I remember reading this science fiction book called "The Space
Merchants," where their meat was manufactured by a process that
involved causing chicken cells to divide, controlled only by the amount
of nutrients pumped into the giant mass of meat referred to as "Chicken
Little" That was the only "meat" the masses ever had access to, and
because advertising ruled people's minds, they had few complaints.

The trend toward pre-prepared food that is shipped frozen to these
"restaurants" is a step in that direction. No wonder why so many
people think most Americans are pigs.

That was a Hell of a good book. It was written way back in 1952, but
is still way relevant. One of the few works of fiction I heartily
recommend.

> N.

--Bryan

How many restaurants serve frozen food? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 139 06-01-2014 05:49 AM
Swanson's Stock notbob General Cooking 2 31-10-2009 02:54 PM
Slightly OT, restaurant vs. frozen food Dick R. Wine 1 21-04-2006 10:53 PM
Analysis of Swanson(tm) Brand Frozen Dinners [email protected] General Cooking 24 06-02-2006 05:25 PM