Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Seasonings for roasted potatoes?

I made some very delicious roasted Yukon golds last week, seasoned with
rosemary, kosher salt, and a good deal of pepper (both black and white).
They were so good, I plan to make more, and soon...but I was wondering what
other seasoning combinations people use? I thought of using dill and lemon
pepper to go with fish...but would the dill burn? I've never used it on
anything roasted at a high temp.

Thanks!

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:
> I made some very delicious roasted Yukon golds last week, seasoned with
> rosemary, kosher salt, and a good deal of pepper (both black and white).
> They were so good, I plan to make more, and soon...but I was wondering what
> other seasoning combinations people use? I thought of using dill and lemon
> pepper to go with fish...but would the dill burn? I've never used it on
> anything roasted at a high temp.
>
> Thanks!
>
> kimberly

I roasted some new potatoes last night- tossed par-boiled (6 minutes)
whole one's into a garlic and parsley infused olive oil then coated
them in, "Tulocay's Napa Valley "Mediterranean Medley" Herb Rub and
Marinade" which has dried- rosemary, garlic, onion, thyme, oregano,
crushed red pepper, black pepper, sea salt and dried tomato (among
other things)... roasted them in an oiled baking dish at 425° until
they turned golden.

they were dang-diddly good! Kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:
> I made some very delicious roasted Yukon golds last week, seasoned with
> rosemary, kosher salt, and a good deal of pepper (both black and white).
> They were so good, I plan to make more, and soon...but I was wondering what
> other seasoning combinations people use? I thought of using dill and lemon
> pepper to go with fish...but would the dill burn? I've never used it on
> anything roasted at a high temp.

Mix dill with melted butter and brush that on. I don't think I'd use
dill with lemon pepper, use plain black pepper... and some salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Nexis wrote:
> I made some very delicious roasted Yukon golds last week, seasoned with
> rosemary, kosher salt, and a good deal of pepper (both black and white).
> They were so good, I plan to make more, and soon...but I was wondering what
> other seasoning combinations people use? I thought of using dill and lemon
> pepper to go with fish...but would the dill burn? I've never used it on
> anything roasted at a high temp.

My favorite: parboil till not quite done, or zapped likewise, then cut
into wedges, toss in olive oil with rosemary and thyme, put in hot
oven. Salt and pepper immediately after removing from oven. My
second favorite: as above, but omit the rosemary. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
AC AC is offline

Nexis wrote:

> I made some very delicious roasted Yukon golds last week, seasoned with
> rosemary, kosher salt, and a good deal of pepper (both black and white).
> They were so good, I plan to make more, and soon...but I was wondering

what
> other seasoning combinations people use? I thought of using dill and lemon
> pepper to go with fish...but would the dill burn? I've never used it on
> anything roasted at a high temp.

the only thing i do differently is coat the potatoes in olive oil then
season liberally with salt, pepper and chopped fresh rosemary. that's
perfect to me!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:53:03 -0800, "Nexis" > wrote:

>I made some very delicious roasted Yukon golds last week, seasoned with
>rosemary, kosher salt, and a good deal of pepper (both black and white).
>They were so good, I plan to make more, and soon...but I was wondering what
>other seasoning combinations people use? I thought of using dill and lemon
>pepper to go with fish...but would the dill burn? I've never used it on
>anything roasted at a high temp.
>
>Thanks!
>
>kimberly

Garlic and paprika.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis > wrote:

> I made some very delicious roasted Yukon golds last week, seasoned with
> rosemary, kosher salt, and a good deal of pepper (both black and white).
> They were so good, I plan to make more, and soon...but I was wondering what
> other seasoning combinations people use?

Goose (or, failing that, duck) fat and garlic, i.e. the basic pommes
sarladaises. Slice some potatoes, salt and pepper, and sauté them in
goose fat with lots of garlic. You can also add some parsley and/or
some freshly sautéed ceps/porcini a few minutes before the end of the
cooking. Nothing's better.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message
>I made some very delicious roasted Yukon golds last week, seasoned with
>rosemary, kosher salt, and a good deal of pepper (both black and white).
>They were so good, I plan to make more, and soon...but I was wondering what
>other seasoning combinations people use? I thought of using dill and lemon
>pepper to go with fish...but would the dill burn? I've never used it on
>anything roasted at a high temp.
>
> Thanks!
>
> kimberly

I have some ideas on my recipe page, see URL below. BTW your rosemary idea
sounds great, I will have to try it.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message
>I made some very delicious roasted Yukon golds last week, seasoned with
>rosemary, kosher salt, and a good deal of pepper (both black and white).
>They were so good, I plan to make more, and soon...but I was wondering what
>other seasoning combinations people use? I thought of using dill and lemon
>pepper to go with fish...but would the dill burn? I've never used it on
>anything roasted at a high temp.

I use rosemary, s/p, olive oil, and a healthy splash (or three) of balsamic
vinegar. I also toss in a bunch of peeled garlic cloves and a cut-up onion.

I also like Penzeys Northwoods seasoning for roasted potatoes. Lemon pepper
is nice, too. Also, I sometimes mix potatoes with olive oil, lemon juice,
garlic, s/p, and oregano.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:
> I made some very delicious roasted Yukon golds last week, seasoned with
> rosemary, kosher salt, and a good deal of pepper (both black and white).
> They were so good, I plan to make more, and soon...but I was wondering what
> other seasoning combinations people use? I thought of using dill and lemon
> pepper to go with fish...but would the dill burn? I've never used it on
> anything roasted at a high temp.
>
> Thanks!
>
> kimberly

IMHO roasted veggies already have a lot of flavor so I wouldn't do any
more than what you did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> I made some very delicious roasted Yukon golds last week, seasoned with
> rosemary, kosher salt, and a good deal of pepper (both black and white).
> They were so good, I plan to make more, and soon...but I was wondering what
> other seasoning combinations people use? I thought of using dill and lemon
> pepper to go with fish...but would the dill burn? I've never used it on
> anything roasted at a high temp.
>
> Thanks!
>
> kimberly

Garlic, black pepper and chiles
Curry seasonings
Fresh minced mint added the last few minutes of cooking
Basil and dried tomatoes ditto
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:53:03 -0800, "Nexis" > wrote:

>I made some very delicious roasted Yukon golds last week, seasoned with
>rosemary, kosher salt, and a good deal of pepper (both black and white).
>They were so good, I plan to make more, and soon...but I was wondering what
>other seasoning combinations people use? I thought of using dill and lemon
>pepper to go with fish...but would the dill burn? I've never used it on
>anything roasted at a high temp.

Potatoes seasoned with Old Bay go wonderfully with fish.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote on 30 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:53:03 -0800, "Nexis" > wrote:
>
> >I made some very delicious roasted Yukon golds last week, seasoned
> >with rosemary, kosher salt, and a good deal of pepper (both black and
> >white). They were so good, I plan to make more, and soon...but I was
> >wondering what other seasoning combinations people use? I thought of
> >using dill and lemon pepper to go with fish...but would the dill
> >burn? I've never used it on anything roasted at a high temp.
> >

> Potatoes seasoned with Old Bay go wonderfully with fish.
>
> Tara

lemon and garlic spice combo?

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:
> I made some very delicious roasted Yukon golds last week, seasoned with
> rosemary, kosher salt, and a good deal of pepper (both black and white).
> They were so good, I plan to make more, and soon...but I was wondering what
> other seasoning combinations people use? I thought of using dill and lemon
> pepper to go with fish...but would the dill burn? I've never used it on
> anything roasted at a high temp.

I can't think of any Penzey's spice mix that WOULDN'T go on roasted
Yukon golds. I think of Italian herbs first and use that all the time
but would try all the others too.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <FUvDf.2124$MJ.367@fed1read07>, "Nexis" >
wrote:

> I made some very delicious roasted Yukon golds last week, seasoned with
> rosemary, kosher salt, and a good deal of pepper (both black and white).
> They were so good, I plan to make more, and soon...but I was wondering what
> other seasoning combinations people use? I thought of using dill and lemon
> pepper to go with fish...but would the dill burn? I've never used it on
> anything roasted at a high temp.

Dill might work, but I prefer garlic, fresh crushed, but garlic powder
works well on potatoes too. So does paprika.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message
>I made some very delicious roasted Yukon golds last week, seasoned with
>rosemary, kosher salt, and a good deal of pepper (both black and white).
>They were so good, I plan to make more, and soon...but I was wondering what
>other seasoning combinations people use? I thought of using dill and lemon
>pepper to go with fish...but would the dill burn? I've never used it on
>anything roasted at a high temp.
>
> Thanks!
>
> kimberly

'Curry' spices are delcious with them! I just either mix some fresh ground
curry spices (you can pre-tast them a little but not too much - cumin, black
pepper, fenugreek, mustard seed, corriander seed cardamom, clove, cinnamon,
chile etc.) together with salt, to my own tastes, or at a push, use salt and
a ready blended mix - the tandoori mixes work well.

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kevnbro" wrote
I roasted some new potatoes last night- tossed par-boiled (6 minutes)
whole one's into a garlic and parsley infused olive oil then coated
them in, "Tulocay's Napa Valley "Mediterranean Medley" Herb Rub and
Marinade" which has dried- rosemary, garlic, onion, thyme, oregano,
crushed red pepper, black pepper, sea salt and dried tomato (among
other things)... roasted them in an oiled baking dish at 425° until
they turned golden.

they were dang-diddly good! Kev

I just looked at their site, Kev. Their products and recipes look very
good. Have you bought much from these people - any recommendations?

Dora