Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chuck

Default Garlic in a jar.. Shelf life?

I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge.. it has water instead of
oil in it..
How do you tell if it's time to toss it?..
At one time,, I was using so much of it.. I bought a really big jar..
Now I don't use it quite as much.
Chuck (in SC)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Chuck wrote:
> I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge.. it has water instead of
> oil in it..
> How do you tell if it's time to toss it?..
> At one time,, I was using so much of it.. I bought a really big jar..
> Now I don't use it quite as much.
> Chuck (in SC)

It went bad before you opened it. awful, awful stuff. You're better off
using garlic powder.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article > ,
sarah bennett > wrote:

> Chuck wrote:
> > I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge.. it has water instead of
> > oil in it..
> > How do you tell if it's time to toss it?..
> > At one time,, I was using so much of it.. I bought a really big jar..
> > Now I don't use it quite as much.
> > Chuck (in SC)

> It went bad before you opened it. awful, awful stuff. You're better off
> using garlic powder.
>
> --
>
> saerah

I agree..... ;-)

While I do use fresh garlic for some stuff, garlic powder is great for
seasoning meat during frying or grilling.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> While I do use fresh garlic for some stuff, garlic powder is great for
> seasoning meat during frying or grilling.

Depends which meat. I like dehy garlic on chicken and pork, not on
beef... actually I don't like any kind of garlic on beef... I like
onions on a beef roast, steak or burger but no garlic. And I much
prefer granulated to powdered, easier to sprinkle more evenly... I like
to use granulated garlic on grilled veggies... great on thick slabs of
grilled green tomatoes For dinner tonight I made braised pork chops
(6) in tomato sauce, used an entire head of fresh garlic... with a big
pot of rice (2 cups - big for me) with saffron... was lazy so added
granulated garlic, a bay leaf, a big pinch of dehy minced onion, white
pepper, Tbs butter, bit of salt, and some frozen parsley from my crop.
The rice was an afterthought just before the pork chops were done... by
then was too lazy to deal with fresh garlic and onion. Was delicious,
and have plenty left overs. My little devils aren't crazy about braised
meat... I promised them grilled next time.

Btw, this was all inspired because I did a large calzone take-out two
days ago... came with a big plastic tub of their tomato sauce... didn't
use it but didn't want to toss it either, so used it to make the pork
chops, with a large can crushed tomatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > While I do use fresh garlic for some stuff, garlic powder is great for
> > seasoning meat during frying or grilling.

> Depends which meat. I like dehy garlic on chicken and pork, not on
> beef... actually I don't like any kind of garlic on beef... I like
> onions on a beef roast, steak or burger but no garlic. And I much
> prefer granulated to powdered, easier to sprinkle more evenly... I like
> to use granulated garlic on grilled veggies... great on thick slabs of
> grilled green tomatoes For dinner tonight I made braised pork chops
> (6) in tomato sauce, used an entire head of fresh garlic... with a big
> pot of rice (2 cups - big for me) with saffron... was lazy so added
> granulated garlic, a bay leaf, a big pinch of dehy minced onion, white
> pepper, Tbs butter, bit of salt, and some frozen parsley from my crop.
> The rice was an afterthought just before the pork chops were done... by
> then was too lazy to deal with fresh garlic and onion. Was delicious,
> and have plenty left overs. My little devils aren't crazy about braised
> meat... I promised them grilled next time.

You spoil your little devils. ;-)
Mine are ok with braised, fried, grilled, or raw seems to be best.

Sounds delish'.
I don't use a LOT of garlic on beef, but will use just a smidgin of
garlic powder on a steak prior to cooking if I'm frying it.

Sauteed' onions and mushrooms in EVOO are best to top a steak IMHO.

> Btw, this was all inspired because I did a large calzone take-out two
> days ago... came with a big plastic tub of their tomato sauce... didn't
> use it but didn't want to toss it either, so used it to make the pork
> chops, with a large can crushed tomatoes.

That sounds good!
Italian pork chops....... ;-d

--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:25:03 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >In article > ,
> > sarah bennett > wrote:

> >> It went bad before you opened it. awful, awful stuff. You're better off
> >> using garlic powder.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> saerah

> >I agree..... ;-)

> Me Too.
>
> Last time I suggested not using pre-processed garlic everybody
> here jumped all over me.
>
> I still stand this opinion whole-heartedly.
>
> -sw (taking it one clove at a time)

I really don't trust the jarred stuff.
My housemate used to buy it, until I started doing most of the cooking.

A decent garlic press is a godsend!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Chuck wrote:
> I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge.. it has water instead of
> oil in it..
> How do you tell if it's time to toss it?..
> At one time,, I was using so much of it.. I bought a really big jar..
> Now I don't use it quite as much.
> Chuck (in SC)

If it's refrigerated it should keep for a very long time. If it goes "off"
you'll smell the difference.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathyxyz

jmcquown wrote:
> Chuck wrote:
> > I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge.. it has water instead of
> > oil in it..
> > How do you tell if it's time to toss it?..
> > At one time,, I was using so much of it.. I bought a really big jar..
> > Now I don't use it quite as much.
> > Chuck (in SC)

> If it's refrigerated it should keep for a very long time. If it goes "off"
> you'll smell the difference.
>
> Jill

This is true. I have kept it for over a month. I still use both - but
as many rfc-ers pointed out - fresh is much, much better. We have a
rather ancient garlic press, but it works or just smashing it with
a heavy knife does the trick too.

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 01:00:14 GMT, Chuck wrote:

> I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge.. it has water instead of
> oil in it..
> How do you tell if it's time to toss it?..
> At one time,, I was using so much of it.. I bought a really big jar..
> Now I don't use it quite as much.
> Chuck (in SC)

Have you ever tried prepeeled garlic? It's fresh and sold in little
plastic bags, keeps in the refrigerator.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 22:42:37 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> A decent garlic press is a godsend!

I have a couple of decent garlic presses, but still prefer my knife.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:13:00 -0800, sf >
wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 01:00:14 GMT, Chuck wrote:
>
>> I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge.. it has water instead of
>> oil in it..
>> How do you tell if it's time to toss it?..
>> At one time,, I was using so much of it.. I bought a really big jar..
>> Now I don't use it quite as much.
>> Chuck (in SC)

>Have you ever tried prepeeled garlic? It's fresh and sold in little
>plastic bags, keeps in the refrigerator.

It takes literally seconds to peel a clove of garlic. I don't
understand buying it pre-peeled.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:25:37 -0800, serene wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:13:00 -0800, sf >
> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 01:00:14 GMT, Chuck wrote:
> >
> >> I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge.. it has water instead of
> >> oil in it..
> >> How do you tell if it's time to toss it?..
> >> At one time,, I was using so much of it.. I bought a really big jar..
> >> Now I don't use it quite as much.
> >> Chuck (in SC)

> >Have you ever tried prepeeled garlic? It's fresh and sold in little
> >plastic bags, keeps in the refrigerator.

> It takes literally seconds to peel a clove of garlic. I don't
> understand buying it pre-peeled.

I know, I know... but at least it's closer to the real thing than that
jarred stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:

> > Have you ever tried prepeeled garlic? It's fresh and sold in little
> > plastic bags, keeps in the refrigerator.

> I have followed this thread a bit. I detest the jarred garlic. To me it
> emits a very sweet flavor which I don't much care for. Fresh garlic is so
> easy to peel and dice, mince, chop if you need it, I just don't see the
> need for the garlic which is jarred. I'll use garlic salt or garlic powder
> if I'm out of garlic, which is seldom.

I tried garlic in a jar. I didn't like it. There are a few things that I use
garlic powder for. I saw pre peeled garlic for the first time just the other
day. I didn't see much point in getting it. It's easy enough to peel garlic.
Just break off a clove, lay a wide knife across it and press down a bit. A
section of peel comes off an d you just pull the rest off. I usually get a new
supply of garlic when I am down to 2 buds.

I have been going through a lot of garlic lately. I have been mincing it and
frying it in butter with some dried chili flakes, grated ginger and various
additives for a sauce with angel hair pasta. I use 2-3 good size cloves for two
servings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:

> I don't either. I also don't understand the pre-sliced, diced onions in
> the produce section. Seriously, they are outrageously priced and it takes
> no time to dice up a whole onion.

There seems to be a growing trend toward pre cut and washed vegetables. Some
of the local grocery stores are carrying more and more packages of lettuce,
assorted lettuce and mesclum. There seems to be more and more baby carrots
and now they have trimmed green beans. There is a hefty mark-up on that stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:34:56 -0800, sf >
wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:25:37 -0800, serene wrote:
>
>> It takes literally seconds to peel a clove of garlic. I don't
>> understand buying it pre-peeled.
>>

>I know, I know... but at least it's closer to the real thing than that
>jarred stuff.

Yeah, but it must be dried out from sitting around peeled, isn't it?

serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:59:40 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:
>

>> I don't either. I also don't understand the pre-sliced, diced onions in
>> the produce section. Seriously, they are outrageously priced and it takes
>> no time to dice up a whole onion.

>There seems to be a growing trend toward pre cut and washed vegetables. Some
>of the local grocery stores are carrying more and more packages of lettuce,
>assorted lettuce and mesclum. There seems to be more and more baby carrots
>and now they have trimmed green beans. There is a hefty mark-up on that stuff.

I can only justify buying pre-cut produce if I'm going to be going
from the store to someplace where I won't have cutting-and-prepping
space.

Or if I'm feeling really lazy.

serene, who does buy broccoli crowns beause she never uses the stems
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg

serene wrote:

> I can only justify buying pre-cut produce if I'm going to be going
> from the store to someplace where I won't have cutting-and-prepping
> space.
>
> Or if I'm feeling really lazy.
>
> serene, who does buy broccoli crowns beause she never uses the stems

Have you tried the stems before? Peel them well, and slice fairly
thinly. They're even more tender and sweet than the crowns,
with a slightly less herbaceous flavor.

If you have tried them, please ignore the above

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:54:25 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>serene wrote:
>
>> I can only justify buying pre-cut produce if I'm going to be going
>> from the store to someplace where I won't have cutting-and-prepping
>> space.
>>
>> Or if I'm feeling really lazy.
>>
>> serene, who does buy broccoli crowns beause she never uses the stems

>Have you tried the stems before? Peel them well, and slice fairly
>thinly. They're even more tender and sweet than the crowns,
>with a slightly less herbaceous flavor.

Yeah, I like them fine, but I never seem to bother, so it seemed
wasteful to keep buying them.

>If you have tried them, please ignore the above

Oops, too late.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:05:55 -0800, serene wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:34:56 -0800, sf >
> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:25:37 -0800, serene wrote:
> >
> >> It takes literally seconds to peel a clove of garlic. I don't
> >> understand buying it pre-peeled.
> >>

> >I know, I know... but at least it's closer to the real thing than that
> >jarred stuff.

> Yeah, but it must be dried out from sitting around peeled, isn't it?

When someone buys the peeled suff for my house, it means a lot of
garlic is going to be used fast.... so nothing dries out. It's the
real thing, no preservatives - I'd be more worried about rotting than
drying out anyway. As far as I'm concerned, I'll spend the extra
minute it takes to separate the clove from its husk. Others in my
house have different ideas about garlic, so when they cook - I don't
micromanage and fully appreciate the fact that I'm *not* cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:57:48 -0800, serene wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:54:25 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>
> >serene wrote:
> >
> >> I can only justify buying pre-cut produce if I'm going to be going
> >> from the store to someplace where I won't have cutting-and-prepping
> >> space.
> >>
> >> Or if I'm feeling really lazy.
> >>
> >> serene, who does buy broccoli crowns beause she never uses the stems

> >Have you tried the stems before? Peel them well, and slice fairly
> >thinly. They're even more tender and sweet than the crowns,
> >with a slightly less herbaceous flavor.

> Yeah, I like them fine, but I never seem to bother, so it seemed
> wasteful to keep buying them.

I actually do peel the stems and cook them with the crowns if I buy a
whole head, but I prefer the crowns so that's what I buy and I don't
mind paying a little more to have exactly what I like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:15:06 -0800, sf >
wrote:

[pre-peeled garlic]

>When someone buys the peeled suff for my house, it means a lot of
>garlic is going to be used fast.... so nothing dries out. It's the
>real thing, no preservatives - I'd be more worried about rotting than
>drying out anyway. As far as I'm concerned, I'll spend the extra
>minute it takes to separate the clove from its husk. Others in my
>house have different ideas about garlic, so when they cook - I don't
>micromanage and fully appreciate the fact that I'm *not* cooking.

Oh, absolutely. I never tell other people how to prepare the food
they're cooking for me. Food other people cooked is one of the most
delicious dishes in the world. :-)

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

serene wrote:

> I can only justify buying pre-cut produce if I'm going to be going
> from the store to someplace where I won't have cutting-and-prepping
> space.
>
> Or if I'm feeling really lazy.
>
> serene, who does buy broccoli crowns beause she never uses the stems

I usually find it much cheaper to buy a bunch of broccoli than to buy just the
heads.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gregory Morrow

serene wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:54:25 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>
> >serene wrote:
> >
> >> I can only justify buying pre-cut produce if I'm going to be going
> >> from the store to someplace where I won't have cutting-and-prepping
> >> space.
> >>
> >> Or if I'm feeling really lazy.
> >>
> >> serene, who does buy broccoli crowns beause she never uses the stems

> >Have you tried the stems before? Peel them well, and slice fairly
> >thinly. They're even more tender and sweet than the crowns,
> >with a slightly less herbaceous flavor.

> Yeah, I like them fine, but I never seem to bother, so it seemed
> wasteful to keep buying them.

I always saved the stems but they would invariably just sit in the fridge
and molder...now I usually just buy the crowns.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:39:37 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>serene wrote:
>
>> I can only justify buying pre-cut produce if I'm going to be going
>> from the store to someplace where I won't have cutting-and-prepping
>> space.
>>
>> Or if I'm feeling really lazy.
>>
>> serene, who does buy broccoli crowns beause she never uses the stems

>I usually find it much cheaper to buy a bunch of broccoli than to buy just the
>heads.

Here it's about ten cents per pound different. Worth it to me, but
it's one of those things that I wouldn't do if it were gonna cost me
more than ten cents.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> serene > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>

>>On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:59:40 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>>There seems to be a growing trend toward pre cut and washed
>>>vegetables. Some of the local grocery stores are carrying more and
>>>more packages of lettuce, assorted lettuce and mesclum. There seems
>>>to be more and more baby carrots and now they have trimmed green
>>>beans. There is a hefty mark-up on that stuff.

>>I can only justify buying pre-cut produce if I'm going to be going
>>from the store to someplace where I won't have cutting-and-prepping
>>space.
>>
>>Or if I'm feeling really lazy.
>>
>>serene, who does buy broccoli crowns beause she never uses the stems
>>

> The stems are wonderful for soup. Peel off the hard layer and dice them up
> for cream of broccoli soup.
>
> Michael

I use them in stir-fries and in frittatas.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"sarah bennett" > wrote

>> The stems are wonderful for soup. Peel off the hard layer and dice them
>> up for cream of broccoli soup.

> I use them in stir-fries and in frittatas.

Okay, I confess! I just peel em and eat em!

When you can find them with the stems on, that is.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> > serene, who does buy broccoli crowns beause she never uses the stems

> I usually find it much cheaper to buy a bunch of broccoli than to buy just the
> heads.

I've seen crowns as cheap or cheaper than whole bunches, although not
often. However, I like the stems, sometimes better than the crowns.

I was cutting broccoli for a fund raiser once, to dip (with other
veggies). I was told to discard the very long stems. I took a bite and
decided that the stems were the best part. They didn't need peeling,
were delicious and tender. I cut them into circles for the veggie
plate. Not many got eaten, unfortunately.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

> I was cutting broccoli for a fund raiser once, to dip (with other
> veggies). I was told to discard the very long stems. I took a bite and
> decided that the stems were the best part. They didn't need peeling,
> were delicious and tender. I cut them into circles for the veggie
> plate. Not many got eaten, unfortunately.
>
> --
> Dan Abel

Give it another try. You gotta fool those buggers. Cut them in a shape they
won't recognize. However some people like nothing green - dark green for
them is even worse.
Had some beet greens tonight -- absolutely nothing on them, not even salt --
OMG they were so dee-licious.
You do good things, Dan.
Good health to you,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> > I was cutting broccoli for a fund raiser once, to dip (with other
> > veggies). I was told to discard the very long stems. I took a bite and
> > decided that the stems were the best part. They didn't need peeling,
> > were delicious and tender. I cut them into circles for the veggie
> > plate. Not many got eaten, unfortunately.
> >
> > --
> > Dan Abel

> Give it another try. You gotta fool those buggers. Cut them in a shape they
> won't recognize. However some people like nothing green - dark green for
> them is even worse.
> Had some beet greens tonight -- absolutely nothing on them, not even salt --
> OMG they were so dee-licious.
> You do good things, Dan.
> Good health to you,
> Dee Dee

<lol> Sometimes veggies need no help...... ;-)

I often do something "fancy" with carrot chunks for my housemate. He's
been on a carrot kick lately. Things like melting butter over them and
adding fine grated fresh ginger and a dash of garlic, etc.

The other day, I just steamed them. Plain. NOTHING added.

He complimented me on how good they were. <G>
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> "sarah bennett" > wrote
>
>>> The stems are wonderful for soup. Peel off the hard layer and dice
>>> them up for cream of broccoli soup.

>> I use them in stir-fries and in frittatas.

> Okay, I confess! I just peel em and eat em!
>
> When you can find them with the stems on, that is.
>
> nancy

Drives me *nuts* when I can't find anything but broccoli crowns these days.
Sure, the florets are great for steaming but as Michael pointed out, the
stems do have a use. I use them all the time in cream of boccoli soup.
Granted, I don't just eat them but I understand some folks do

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dee Randall" > wrote:
>
>> > I was cutting broccoli for a fund raiser once, to dip (with other
>> > veggies). I was told to discard the very long stems. I took a bite
>> > and
>> > decided that the stems were the best part. They didn't need peeling,
>> > were delicious and tender. I cut them into circles for the veggie
>> > plate. Not many got eaten, unfortunately.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Dan Abel

>> Give it another try. You gotta fool those buggers. Cut them in a shape
>> they
>> won't recognize. However some people like nothing green - dark green for
>> them is even worse.
>> Had some beet greens tonight -- absolutely nothing on them, not even
>> salt --
>> OMG they were so dee-licious.
>> You do good things, Dan.
>> Good health to you,
>> Dee Dee

> <lol> Sometimes veggies need no help...... ;-)
>
> I often do something "fancy" with carrot chunks for my housemate. He's
> been on a carrot kick lately. Things like melting butter over them and
> adding fine grated fresh ginger and a dash of garlic, etc.
>
> The other day, I just steamed them. Plain. NOTHING added.
>
> He complimented me on how good they were. <G>
> --
> Om.

Some experts say that carrots that stay out of the ground for a longer
period of time before cooking are tastier. I don't know the answer to that
as I've eaten some pretty old carrots; but the best of all are home-grown
garden-to-table. How sweet it is!
I can eat most veggies with absolutely nothing on them, just admiring the
taste of the vegetable. This is not to say I don't like them loaded with
Indian spices.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > "sarah bennett" > wrote

> >> I use them in stir-fries and in frittatas.

> > Okay, I confess! I just peel em and eat em!
> >
> > When you can find them with the stems on, that is.
> >
> > nancy

> Drives me *nuts* when I can't find anything but broccoli crowns these days.
> Sure, the florets are great for steaming but as Michael pointed out, the
> stems do have a use. I use them all the time in cream of boccoli soup.
> Granted, I don't just eat them but I understand some folks do
>
> Jill

While I normally buy just the crowns, the whole ones are cheaper and
that is what dad usually gets when he shops for veggies. When that
happens, I just peel them and slice them in half, and add them back to
the florets.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> > <lol> Sometimes veggies need no help...... ;-)
> >
> > I often do something "fancy" with carrot chunks for my housemate. He's
> > been on a carrot kick lately. Things like melting butter over them and
> > adding fine grated fresh ginger and a dash of garlic, etc.
> >
> > The other day, I just steamed them. Plain. NOTHING added.
> >
> > He complimented me on how good they were. <G>
> > --
> > Om.
> >

> Some experts say that carrots that stay out of the ground for a longer
> period of time before cooking are tastier. I don't know the answer to that
> as I've eaten some pretty old carrots; but the best of all are home-grown
> garden-to-table. How sweet it is!
> I can eat most veggies with absolutely nothing on them, just admiring the
> taste of the vegetable. This is not to say I don't like them loaded with
> Indian spices.
> Dee Dee

I know what you mean. :-)

I vary veggie flavorings depending on my mood and the veggies.
Sometimes I just leave them alone and may or may not add a bit of salt
and/or pepper when they are done, sometimes it's ginger/garlic,
sometimes it's lemon butter, and once in awhile, cheese sauce.

Most veggies are flavorful enough, they are great alone or just barely
enhanced. A sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds is probably the most
frequent thing, or poppy seeds.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg

serene wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:54:25 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>
>>Have you tried the stems before? Peel them well, and slice fairly
>>thinly. They're even more tender and sweet than the crowns,
>>with a slightly less herbaceous flavor.

> Yeah, I like them fine, but I never seem to bother, so it seemed
> wasteful to keep buying them.

That part I don't get. It takes a few seconds to trim them.

The stems are also an important part of broccoli soups,
I wouldn't make it without them. The stems balance out
the herbaceous quality of the crowns with a bit of extra
sweetness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:37:10 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>serene wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:54:25 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>>
>>>Have you tried the stems before? Peel them well, and slice fairly
>>>thinly. They're even more tender and sweet than the crowns,
>>>with a slightly less herbaceous flavor.

>> Yeah, I like them fine, but I never seem to bother, so it seemed
>> wasteful to keep buying them.
>>

>That part I don't get. It takes a few seconds to trim them.

Whether or not I should, I don't, so it seems not worth it to buy them
and throw them away. It's a "know thyself" sort of situation. I also
save bread to make bread crumbs/croutons and never get around to
making them, so I've stopped saving stale bread.

>The stems are also an important part of broccoli soups,
>I wouldn't make it without them. The stems balance out
>the herbaceous quality of the crowns with a bit of extra
>sweetness.

I don't make broccoli soup. :-)

serene

Shelf life? [email protected] Wine 8 12-11-2014 12:31 AM
How do you tell the shelf life of a kit? arrassa Winemaking 2 19-03-2007 07:32 AM
Shelf life Zinc Potterman Preserving 7 20-07-2006 09:57 PM
shelf life k-dawg Winemaking 2 01-02-2006 06:12 PM
Shelf Life for Smoked/Roasted Garlic [email protected] Barbecue 6 31-07-2004 10:20 PM