Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

Default Another lazy day

My date cancelled, so I have the whole day to futz around the house,
work on my novel, and cook if I feel like it. I shall make some toffee
(massive quantities) to give to my co-workers -- I was gonna do it at
the holidays, but they got more hectic than planned.

And then I think I want to make hummus, and maybe some kind of
casserole. It's been cold here lately.

Whatcha makin'?

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

serene wrote:
> My date cancelled, so I have the whole day to futz around the house,
> work on my novel, and cook if I feel like it. I shall make some toffee
> (massive quantities) to give to my co-workers -- I was gonna do it at
> the holidays, but they got more hectic than planned.
>
> And then I think I want to make hummus, and maybe some kind of
> casserole. It's been cold here lately.
>
> Whatcha makin'?
>
> serene

I'm chillin with the boy and getting ready to clean the house. I was supposed
to make molasses oat bread last night but got caught up in a pattern and
forgot. I'll make it today and if things go well I'll be making fake meat molé
with spiced black beans and rice with veggies.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Spitzmaus

The Bubbo sez:

> I'm chillin with the boy and getting ready to clean the house. I was

supposed
> to make molasses oat bread last night but got caught up in a pattern and
> forgot. I'll make it today and if things go well I'll be making fake meat

molé
> with spiced black beans and rice with veggies.
>
> --
> .:Heather:.
> www.velvet-c.com
> Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

Ya gotta recipe for that bread? Sounds like the perfect accompaniment to a
hearty stew or soup.

I don't have a bread machine, but I can extrapolate from a bread machine
recipe . . .

Spitz
--
"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:16:50 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote:

>serene wrote:
>> My date cancelled, so I have the whole day to futz around the house,
>> work on my novel, and cook if I feel like it. I shall make some toffee
>> (massive quantities) to give to my co-workers -- I was gonna do it at
>> the holidays, but they got more hectic than planned.
>>
>> And then I think I want to make hummus, and maybe some kind of
>> casserole. It's been cold here lately.
>>
>> Whatcha makin'?
>>
>> serene

>I'm chillin with the boy and getting ready to clean the house.

Me too also.

>I was supposed
>to make molasses oat bread last night

Ooh. Recipe?

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:25:12 -0800, serene >
wrote:

>My date cancelled, so I have the whole day to futz around the house,
>work on my novel, and cook if I feel like it. I shall make some toffee
>(massive quantities) to give to my co-workers -- I was gonna do it at
>the holidays, but they got more hectic than planned.
>
>And then I think I want to make hummus, and maybe some kind of
>casserole. It's been cold here lately.
>
>Whatcha makin'?
>
>serene

Ribs. They're in the smoker pit right now.

Boy was that pit a pit when I started out this afternoon. We've only
had a fraction of an inch of rain in weeks, but most of it settled in
the bottom of the cooking chamber. I had to poke through the fetid
sludge in there with a steel skewer to open the drain hole, all the
while shooing the new puppy away from what he thought would be a tasty
sludge snack. After some revolting scraping and sludge-slinging, I
hosed off the area and then built a fire from damp, but still
combustible, pecan twigs and the want ads from this morning's paper.
I'd used an old hoe blade for the scraping, so I tossed it into the
fire pit, too. Insta clean! I ran the pit very hot for half an hour
or so to incinerate any sludge-dwelling nasties that I'd not scooped
out and bagged for tomorrow's trash pickup. I even set a propane
torch (non food-grade, I'm afraid) under the cooking chamber to super
heat the bottom of the pit for a while.

While the microbe massacre was winding down, I rubbed the ribs with
Mexene chili powder and some ground chipotle. They've been smoking
about 250F now for about 2 hours. I figure they'll be done around 7
this evening.

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

"serene" > wrote in message
> My date cancelled, so I have the whole day to futz around the house,
> work on my novel, and cook if I feel like it. I shall make some toffee
> (massive quantities) to give to my co-workers -- I was gonna do it at
> the holidays, but they got more hectic than planned.

Probably more fun to make it on a day like today. And more fun for the
co-workers to receive it when they're not drowning in holiday sweets.

> Whatcha makin'?

Carmelized onions in the crockpot and a roast beef in the oven. We'll have
beef on weck sandwiches tonight for dinner (with onions for anyone who wants
them). Hopefully there'll be enough onions for a small pot of French onion
soup and one night's dinner worth of Marcella Hazan's spaghetti with
smothered onions (mmmmm!).

House smells pretty good right now.

> serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:43:37 GMT, "Chris" >
wrote:

>Carmelized onions in the crockpot and a roast beef in the oven. We'll have
>beef on weck sandwiches tonight for dinner (with onions for anyone who wants
>them). Hopefully there'll be enough onions for a small pot of French onion
>soup and one night's dinner worth of Marcella Hazan's spaghetti with
>smothered onions (mmmmm!).

Mmmmmm, onionnnnnnnns!

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Spitzmaus wrote:
> The Bubbo sez:
>
>> I'm chillin with the boy and getting ready to clean the house. I was

> supposed
>> to make molasses oat bread last night but got caught up in a pattern and
>> forgot. I'll make it today and if things go well I'll be making fake meat

> molé
>> with spiced black beans and rice with veggies.
>>
>> --
>> .:Heather:.
>> www.velvet-c.com
>> Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

> Ya gotta recipe for that bread? Sounds like the perfect accompaniment to a
> hearty stew or soup.
>
> I don't have a bread machine, but I can extrapolate from a bread machine
> recipe . . .
>
> Spitz

as you wish. I just posted the bread machine recipe, I don't really bake so I
don't really know how to convert it.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

wrote:

>My date cancelled, so I have the whole day to futz around the house,
>work on my novel, and cook if I feel like it. I shall make some toffee
>(massive quantities) to give to my co-workers -- I was gonna do it at
>the holidays, but they got more hectic than planned.
>
>And then I think I want to make hummus, and maybe some kind of
>casserole. It's been cold here lately.
>
>Whatcha makin'?
>
>serene

Just leftovers. I've been very industrious. I used the whole long
weekend to do "winter cleaning," and I haven't even started taking
down Christmas decorations.

Well, I am making a batch of yogurt.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

serene wrote:
> My date cancelled, so I have the whole day to futz around the house,
> work on my novel, and cook if I feel like it. I shall make some toffee
> (massive quantities) to give to my co-workers -- I was gonna do it at
> the holidays, but they got more hectic than planned.
>
> And then I think I want to make hummus, and maybe some kind of
> casserole. It's been cold here lately.
>
> Whatcha makin'?

Too many chores today, having wasted the weekend on watching football.
We have some beef bratwursts I can put on the grill. I like to do them
slowly, low heat, let them take their time. Then I guess roasted
garlic mashed potatoes. I dug a few carrots today, medium size, they
look really good. Can't decide whether to cook them or just slice them
super thin to mix with sliced red onion in a mild vinaigrette....
-aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
pablo

"Chris" > wrote in message
(snipped)>
> Carmelized onions in the crockpot and a roast beef in the oven. We'll
> have beef on weck sandwiches tonight for dinner (with onions for anyone
> who wants them). Hopefully there'll be enough onions for a small pot of
> French onion soup and one night's dinner worth of Marcella Hazan's
> spaghetti with smothered onions (mmmmm!).

You in Buffalo, Chris? Care to share your version of beef on weck with us?
I'm in Michigan and I've never even seen kimmelwecks here. I'd like to give
it a try, though, with a kaiser roll.

Pablo

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Glitter Ninja

serene > writes:

>And then I think I want to make hummus, and maybe some kind of
>casserole. It's been cold here lately.

>Whatcha makin'?

Lunch was celery and some leftover faux crab (as my husband calls it,
"Krab with a 'k' for legal reasons") dip. But I plan on fixing the
leftover beef tonight, probably oven barbecued, which I've never done
before. We've got backup food if I futz it up. Also some garlic mashed
potatoes and corn on the side.
I should be packing for our move but I can't get the energy up. When
it's cold all I want to do is drink hot tea under an afghan and watch
TCM.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

serene wrote:

(snippage)
> And then I think I want to make hummus, and maybe some kind of
> casserole. It's been cold here lately.
>
> Whatcha makin'?
>
> serene

Nuthin' I've been sitting in a classroom all day. At the lunch break I
did something I very rarely do - ate at Burger King. It was just across the
street and to be fair (LOL) to BK, I ordered the grilled chicken sandwich
(with fries) and it's pretty darned good. It almost tastes like if you
marinate a boneless breast half in a seasoned Italian (oil & vinegar) base,
then grill or broil it at home.

Class continues through Thursday, so tomorrow for lunch, no idea. It's
either go to a full service restaurant and maybe not get back in the
allotted hour, or stick with fast food for the next three days. (sigh) Oh
well, I only eat fast food a couple of times a year so it probably won't
kill me Still, I don't feel like I can really eat tonight after what I
ingested at lunch.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

"pablo" > wrote in message

> "Chris" > wrote in message
> (snipped)>
>> Carmelized onions in the crockpot and a roast beef in the oven. We'll
>> have beef on weck sandwiches tonight for dinner (with onions for anyone
>> who wants them). Hopefully there'll be enough onions for a small pot of
>> French onion soup and one night's dinner worth of Marcella Hazan's
>> spaghetti with smothered onions (mmmmm!).
>>

> You in Buffalo, Chris? Care to share your version of beef on weck with
> us? I'm in Michigan and I've never even seen kimmelwecks here. I'd like
> to give it a try, though, with a kaiser roll.

Hey, Pablo. I'm in Virginia, but I grew up in the Buffalo suburbs and visit
a few times a year. I haven't seen kimmelwecks around here, either, but
kaiser rolls work pretty well. I brush them with beaten egg white, sprinkle
with kosher salt and caraway seed, and bake for about 5 minutes (350 is
fine, but if the oven happens to be hotter, that's ok too, just take 'em out
a minute or two sooner). I've used bakery kaisers and packaged kaisers from
the supermarket, and actually prefer the packaged ones for this purpose.

I thought the roast was going to be waaaay overcooked because I lost track
of time at a neighbor's house at the time I was supposed to take it out, but
it was actually a little too rare for my tastes (my husband loved it
though). I warmed my beef up in the jus to cook it a tad longer. I cheated
for the jus.....deglazed the pan w/ hot water, and then added some broth
made from Minor's beef base. Otherwise, I don't know how to get enough jus
out of such a little pile of drippings.

We had dinner guests who said they weren't very hungry, having just come
from a funeral with a lot of good food. They each polished off a huge
sandwich and some salad, so I guess they liked their first beef on weck.

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tara

Dinner tonight was lazy and good: I took some leftover chili out of
the freezer, spread it on tortillas, sprinkled each with shredded
cheese, rolled them up, and placed them in a casserole dish. I baked
it all in a 350 degree oven until it was heated through, then I topped
it with some more cheese and baked it until the cheese melted.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

jmcquown wrote on 16 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Nuthin' I've been sitting in a classroom all day. At the lunch
> break I did something I very rarely do - ate at Burger King

I kinda had a burger too...Well a fried hamburger pattie, fried fresh
mushrooms mixed with onion and nuked brocolli for din-din...took all of
maybe 15 minutes to prep and cook. Longer if you take into account
defrosting the burger over night in the fridge....I think 15 minutes to
prep and cook a 4 item meal is a lazy day meal. Unless you nuke some of
Nancy's tortillia soup like I had for lunch...that took 2:30 minutes to
nuke a bowlfull...Except the 3 gallons I made and froze took about 2:30
hours to make on last saturday. Frozen homemade soup tastes best and is
fairly lazy to make...take container from freezer...nuke...then eat so
fairly lazy.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 03:33:39 GMT, Tara > wrote:

>Dinner tonight was lazy and good:

Not as lazy as ours...

>I took some leftover chili out of
>the freezer, spread it on tortillas, sprinkled each with shredded
>cheese, rolled them up, and placed them in a casserole dish. I baked
>it all in a 350 degree oven until it was heated through, then I topped
>it with some more cheese and baked it until the cheese melted.

....but sounds yummy.

serene (we had KFC -- I had a difficult day with some serious family
problems, and I wanted food I didn't have to cook or clean up after)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen MacInerney

Curly Sue wrote:
> Just leftovers. I've been very industrious. I used the whole long
> weekend to do "winter cleaning," and I haven't even started taking
> down Christmas decorations.

So glad I'm not the only one, Sue! Tonight was shake n bake chicken, a
salad, corn on the cob and wagon wheel noodles (for the kids). Not
particularly adventurous. BUT... our Xmas decorations are down, our
house has been somewhat decluttered, and I planted a garden.

> Well, I am making a batch of yogurt.

Gosh. Homemade yogurt? Maybe I *am* the only lazy one. Reading this
thread makes me want to go to other people's houses for dinner.
Although hubby did turn out a fine roast chicken yesterday...

Karen MacInerney
Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
www.karenmacinerney.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On 16 Jan 2006 21:58:16 -0800, "Karen MacInerney"
> wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:

>> Well, I am making a batch of yogurt.

>Gosh. Homemade yogurt? Maybe I *am* the only lazy one. Reading this
>thread makes me want to go to other people's houses for dinner.
>Although hubby did turn out a fine roast chicken yesterday...

There's not much work involved in making yogurt- just waiting. Of
course it helps to have a yogurt incubator (esp. in this weather) and
a good culture.

It came out delicious, BTW. 2% milk seems to be the key.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen MacInerney

Curly Sue wrote:

> There's not much work involved in making yogurt- just waiting. Of
> course it helps to have a yogurt incubator (esp. in this weather) and
> a good culture.
>
> It came out delicious, BTW. 2% milk seems to be the key.

Sue,

I had a yogurt incubator I bought at a thrift store for a dollar --
made it once, but it tasted terrible, so I tossed the maker and turned
the cute little white glass yogurt cups into juice glasses. Maybe I
used the wrong culture... or the wrong kind of milk...

I'm still impressed.

Karen MacInerney
Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
www.karenmacinerney.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tara

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:32:56 -0800, serene >
wrote:

>serene (we had KFC -- I had a difficult day with some serious family
>problems, and I wanted food I didn't have to cook or clean up after)

I hope the family issues work themselves out. KFC is good stuff --
I like to eat a thigh, cole slaw, and biscuits dipped in gravy.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:59:30 GMT, Tara > wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:32:56 -0800, serene >
>wrote:
>
>>serene (we had KFC -- I had a difficult day with some serious family
>>problems, and I wanted food I didn't have to cook or clean up after)

>I hope the family issues work themselves out. KFC is good stuff --
>I like to eat a thigh, cole slaw, and biscuits dipped in gravy.

The family stuff gets worse and worse, but all I can do is be there
for my family and hope they work stuff out (this is family-of-origin
stuff, not the folks I live with), thank you for your kind thoughts.

The only things I like at KFC are the cole slaw and the honey-barbecue
wings. I intensely dislike their biscuits, potatoes, gravy, etc. Oh,
and I don't mind the corn on the cob, but that's hard to mess up.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

serene wrote:
> The only things I like at KFC are the cole slaw and the honey-barbecue
> wings. I intensely dislike their biscuits, potatoes, gravy, etc. Oh,
> and I don't mind the corn on the cob, but that's hard to mess up.

The one in my town certainly messes it up. I don't know when they cook
it but it must be hours before I get there. And I don't know how they
store and heat it, but the final result is the chewiest, driest little
stub of a corn cob you've ever tried. I get chicken only at KFC.
Their slaw is edible, unlike their fake potatoes and fake gravy, but I
can make my own in no time. In fact I did just that a couple of months
ago -- made just enough slaw for two servings, seasoned and mixed it
up, popped in the fridge and then went to KFC. By the time I got home
the slaw was almost right -- better too fresh than too stale, anyway.
-aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On 18 Jan 2006 19:05:46 -0800, "aem" > wrote:

>serene wrote:
>> The only things I like at KFC are the cole slaw and the honey-barbecue
>> wings. I intensely dislike their biscuits, potatoes, gravy, etc. Oh,
>> and I don't mind the corn on the cob, but that's hard to mess up.
>>

>The one in my town certainly messes it up. I don't know when they cook
>it but it must be hours before I get there. And I don't know how they
>store and heat it, but the final result is the chewiest, driest little
>stub of a corn cob you've ever tried.

Ick. What a drag.

> I get chicken only at KFC.

I dislike chicken, except for the skin, and even I'm not wasteful
enough to buy chicken just to eat the skin. :-)

>Their slaw is edible, unlike their fake potatoes and fake gravy, but I
>can make my own in no time.

Recipe, please?

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

serene wrote:
>>Their slaw is edible, unlike their fake potatoes and fake gravy, but I
> >can make my own in no time.

> Recipe, please?

Don't think I have one. I always start with regular green cabbage,
sliced very thin. Sometimes I will add one or more of: red onion,
grated carrot, red cabbage, very thinly sliced apple. The dressing is
what makes slaw, and mine nearly always has ground coriander seeds and
ground cumin seeds in addition to lime or lemon juice and mayo. It is
also one of the few things I unabashedly add a discernible amount of
sugar to. No salt. It should sit in the fridge for a couple of hours
for the flavors to develop and merge, but often it doesn't get that
much time. -aem