Pans for Boston Brown Bread

Old 09-01-2006, 11:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Default Pans for Boston Brown Bread

I recently asked for a recipe for Baked Beans and got some good ones as
well as a recipe for Boston Brown Bread that I can't wait to try.
(Thanks, KIB).

Traditional recipes call for it to be cooked in leftover vegetable or
coffee cans but since it would take me a while to empty the large cans
required for a batch, I wonder if anyone knows of a source for reusable
pans for this purpose? Thanks again.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

You could open and empty a coffee can, put the coffee in a plastic
container with lid. Then wash the can, etc.etc. Better than going out
and buying something new?

Just an idea. Cheers.
Nancree

Old 10-01-2006, 02:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

I thought of that, but I'd probably make the recipe twice a month, and
I don't want a lot of coffee sitting in plastic bags getting stale.
(Four cans of coffee will probably last the better part of a year for
me) .
Thanks anyway

Old 10-01-2006, 02:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

PickyJaz wrote:
Nancree's suggestion is spot on, and I've made these breads many times.
I'm a containers hoarder for the giving foods to others rather than
expecting them to remember to whom a (hopefully) empty dish could
belong and have to return it. The used to be called "one pound coffee
cans" are perfect for the baking of such breads, but just about any can
size works quite well. A few years back my daughter asked for
mini-loaf pans for Christmas, so I made various non-yeast breads in
soup cans for her as well. I then wrapped each loaf in clear wrap to
place the loaves into the mini-pan sections to cello-wrap all real
pretty as a bigger gift. Works for me!

Picky

------
What a clever idea, Picky. I'm going to save a few soup cans, now.
Nancree

Old 10-01-2006, 05:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

wrote in message
oups.com...
I thought of that, but I'd probably make the recipe twice a month, and
I don't want a lot of coffee sitting in plastic bags getting stale.
(Four cans of coffee will probably last the better part of a year for
me) .
Thanks anyway

Put the coffee in ziplock bags and freeze it. I do this all the time with
whole beans.

harriet & critters

Old 19-01-2006, 03:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

In article .com,
" wrote:

I thought of that, but I'd probably make the recipe twice a month, and
I don't want a lot of coffee sitting in plastic bags getting stale.
(Four cans of coffee will probably last the better part of a year for
me) .
Thanks anyway

Canned, ground coffee is stale already, so there won't be much of a
difference.