FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pans for Boston Brown Bread (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/78672-pans-boston-brown-bread.html)

[email protected] 10-01-2006 12:46 AM

Pans for Boston Brown Bread

I recently asked for a recipe for Baked Beans and got some good ones as
well as a recipe for Boston Brown Bread that I can't wait to try.
(Thanks, KIB).

Traditional recipes call for it to be cooked in leftover vegetable or
coffee cans but since it would take me a while to empty the large cans
required for a batch, I wonder if anyone knows of a source for reusable
pans for this purpose? Thanks again.

nancree 10-01-2006 03:00 AM

Pans for Boston Brown Bread

You could open and empty a coffee can, put the coffee in a plastic
container with lid. Then wash the can, etc.etc. Better than going out
and buying something new?

Just an idea. Cheers.
Nancree

PickyJaz 10-01-2006 03:14 AM

Pans for Boston Brown Bread

wrote:
> I recently asked for a recipe for Baked Beans and got some good ones as
> well as a recipe for Boston Brown Bread that I can't wait to try.
> (Thanks, KIB).
>
> Traditional recipes call for it to be cooked in leftover vegetable or
> coffee cans but since it would take me a while to empty the large cans
> required for a batch, I wonder if anyone knows of a source for reusable
> pans for this purpose? Thanks again.

Nancree's suggestion is spot on, and I've made these breads many times.
I'm a containers hoarder for the giving foods to others rather than
expecting them to remember to whom a (hopefully) empty dish could
belong and have to return it. The used to be called "one pound coffee
cans" are perfect for the baking of such breads, but just about any can
size works quite well. A few years back my daughter asked for
mini-loaf pans for Christmas, so I made various non-yeast breads in
soup cans for her as well. I then wrapped each loaf in clear wrap to
place the loaves into the mini-pan sections to cello-wrap all real
pretty as a bigger gift. Works for me!

Picky

[email protected] 10-01-2006 03:22 AM

Pans for Boston Brown Bread

I thought of that, but I'd probably make the recipe twice a month, and
I don't want a lot of coffee sitting in plastic bags getting stale.
(Four cans of coffee will probably last the better part of a year for
me) .
Thanks anyway

nancree 10-01-2006 03:26 AM

Pans for Boston Brown Bread

PickyJaz wrote:
> Nancree's suggestion is spot on, and I've made these breads many times.
> I'm a containers hoarder for the giving foods to others rather than
> expecting them to remember to whom a (hopefully) empty dish could
> belong and have to return it. The used to be called "one pound coffee
> cans" are perfect for the baking of such breads, but just about any can
> size works quite well. A few years back my daughter asked for
> mini-loaf pans for Christmas, so I made various non-yeast breads in
> soup cans for her as well. I then wrapped each loaf in clear wrap to
> place the loaves into the mini-pan sections to cello-wrap all real
> pretty as a bigger gift. Works for me!
>
> Picky

------
What a clever idea, Picky. I'm going to save a few soup cans, now.
Nancree

[email protected] 10-01-2006 04:53 AM

Pans for Boston Brown Bread

It sounds like I can use foil bread pans.

Yes?

PickyJaz 10-01-2006 06:24 PM

Pans for Boston Brown Bread

wrote:
> It sounds like I can use foil bread pans. Yes?

Yes, you can really use most any sort of baking pan. The foil bread
ones will definitely work, but do remember that you will have more
surface area, so watch for the top of loaves drying out as they bake.
The original and very simple intention for baking in the cans is so
that the baked goods slice round and present well. I use my cans for
making little cakes, too. As long as the cake recipe is a rather
final-moist one, that is. On real lazy and otherwise boring days I
like to make lots of canned cake to freeze for later gifts, and there's
all sorts of wacky or pretty ways the little cake rolls can be
cut-altered and decorated (or not) as gifts, especially to folks living
alone so there's less chance for waste (or waist!).

Bake away, you'll do just fine with bread pans.

Picky

hw 10-01-2006 06:39 PM

Pans for Boston Brown Bread

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I thought of that, but I'd probably make the recipe twice a month, and
> I don't want a lot of coffee sitting in plastic bags getting stale.
> (Four cans of coffee will probably last the better part of a year for
> me) .
> Thanks anyway

Put the coffee in ziplock bags and freeze it. I do this all the time with
whole beans.

harriet & critters

Scott 19-01-2006 04:26 AM

Pans for Boston Brown Bread

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> I thought of that, but I'd probably make the recipe twice a month, and
> I don't want a lot of coffee sitting in plastic bags getting stale.
> (Four cans of coffee will probably last the better part of a year for
> me) .
> Thanks anyway

Canned, ground coffee is stale already, so there won't be much of a
difference.