Posted to rec.food.cooking
biig

Default Ping:Barb

Since you're the canning guru, I'll ask you. I'm going to make a
cucumber jelly (savoury) to go with a pork roast. My future DIL gave me
all the ingredients, but instead of powdered gelatin, she gave me a
package of liquid pectin. Does this work? How does it measure in
comparison to a pkg of gelatin? Thanks....I've never done this
before...
.....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

biig wrote:

> Since you're the canning guru, I'll ask you. I'm going to make a
> cucumber jelly (savoury) to go with a pork roast. My future DIL gave me
> all the ingredients, but instead of powdered gelatin, she gave me a
> package of liquid pectin. Does this work? How does it measure in
> comparison to a pkg of gelatin? Thanks....I've never done this
> before...
> .....Sharon

Sharon, I do a lot of canning. If you post your recipe, I could likely
help you. Gelatin doesn't equal pectin though
Posted to rec.food.cooking
biig

~patches~ wrote:

> biig wrote:
>
> > Since you're the canning guru, I'll ask you. I'm going to make a
> > cucumber jelly (savoury) to go with a pork roast. My future DIL gave me
> > all the ingredients, but instead of powdered gelatin, she gave me a
> > package of liquid pectin. Does this work? How does it measure in
> > comparison to a pkg of gelatin? Thanks....I've never done this
> > before...
> > .....Sharon

> Sharon, I do a lot of canning. If you post your recipe, I could likely
> help you. Gelatin doesn't equal pectin though

Thanks Patches:

Georgia Cucumber Jelly

6 med cucumbers\
3 pkg unflavoured gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups boiling water
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1 tsp grated onion
1/4 tsp salt
2 drops green food colouring
1/4 cup chopped pimentos

Peel cucumbers, seed and grate. Wrap in clean kitchen towel to
absorb all moisture for 15 min. Sprinkle gelatin over cold water, add
boiling water, and stir until dissolved. Add vinegar, onion, salt, and
food colouring. Refridgerate until slight thickened. Stir in grated
cucumber and pimentos. Pour into 8 1/2 cup individual molds or 1 14 cup
ring mold. Chill 4 hours or until very firm. Serve jelly as an
accompaniment to cold meat or fish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, biig > wrote:

> Georgia Cucumber Jelly
>
> 6 med cucumbers\
> 3 pkg unflavoured gelatin
> 1/2 cup cold water
> 2 cups boiling water
> 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
> 1 tsp grated onion
> 1/4 tsp salt
> 2 drops green food colouring
> 1/4 cup chopped pimentos
>
> Peel cucumbers, seed and grate. Wrap in clean kitchen towel to
> absorb all moisture for 15 min. Sprinkle gelatin over cold water, add
> boiling water, and stir until dissolved. Add vinegar, onion, salt, and
> food colouring. Refridgerate until slight thickened. Stir in grated
> cucumber and pimentos. Pour into 8 1/2 cup individual molds or 1 14 cup
> ring mold. Chill 4 hours or until very firm. Serve jelly as an
> accompaniment to cold meat or fish.

Buy a box of Knox Unflavored Gelatin and use three packets from it.
You're making a salad for immediate consumption, not long term storage.
Did you ask her WHY she gave you liquid pectin instead of unflavored
gelatin? They're not the same thing, though both serve to thicken and
add body to liquids.

I wanna know why she gave you pectin. Couldn't find unflavored gelatin?
I don't know if there's more than one brand; a reasonably-sized
supermarket should have the Knox or similar. I wouldn't try to preserve
it because you'd have to cook it and pimentos might lose some of their
color and I'm not into cooking grated cucumber, either. JMO.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/knox/knox_history.html

http://www.kraftfoodservice.com/serv...=ProductCatalo
g&action=Display&itemId=1443

http://www.dvrbs.com/CamdenNJ-KnoxGelatin.htm
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

Default Ping:Barb - + four recipes

In article >, biig > wrote:
> Georgia Cucumber Jelly
>
> 6 med cucumbers\
> 3 pkg unflavoured gelatin
> 1/2 cup cold water
> 2 cups boiling water
> 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
> 1 tsp grated onion
> 1/4 tsp salt
> 2 drops green food colouring
> 1/4 cup chopped pimentos
>
> Peel cucumbers, seed and grate. Wrap in clean kitchen towel to
> absorb all moisture for 15 min. Sprinkle gelatin over cold water, add
> boiling water, and stir until dissolved. Add vinegar, onion, salt, and
> food colouring. Refridgerate until slight thickened. Stir in grated
> cucumber and pimentos. Pour into 8 1/2 cup individual molds or 1 14 cup
> ring mold. Chill 4 hours or until very firm. Serve jelly as an
> accompaniment to cold meat or fish.

biig, it's not clear to me if you're wanting to preserve this or just
want to know if you can sub the pectin for the unflavored gelatin. If
the former, here are a couple recipes for savoury jellies that could
well be used as condiments -- the first two were originally posted here
by Nancy Dooley:

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Garlic Jelly

Recipe By : re-posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller, 1-7-2006
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Jelly

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 head garlic -- cloves separated
and peeled and minced
3 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
6 ounces liquid pectin

In a large saucepan, combine butter and garlic over medium heat. Cook,
stirring constantly, until garlic is light golden brown (3 to 4
minutes). Add sugar and vinegar. Cook, stirring constantly, until
sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil. Stir in pectin. Boil 1
minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam from top of
jelly. Pour into sterilized jars and seal. Yield: about 3 C. jelly.

NOTES : Nancy Dooley post to rec.food.cooking, 8/11/95

_____
* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Horseradish Jelly

Recipe By : re-posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller 1-7-2006
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Jelly

3 C. granulated sugar
1/2 C. prepared horseradish
1/2 C. apple cider vinegar
6 oz. liquid pectin

In a large saucepan, combine sugar, horseradish and vinegar over medium
heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture
comes to a boil. Stir in pectin. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat. Skim foam from top of jelly. Pour into sterilized
jars and seal. Yield: about 3 C. jelly. Delicious with meat or cream
cheese/crackers.

NOTES : Nancy Dooley to rec.food.cooking, 8/11/95

_____
* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Horseradish Jelly/2

Recipe By : posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller 1-7-2006
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Jelly

1 cup grated fresh horseradish
1 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon minced fresh sage
3 1/4 cups sugar
1 pouch Certo liquid pectin (3 oz)

Place horseradish, vinegar, sage, and sugar in heavy saucepan. Cook
over high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a hard boil.
Add fruit pectin and bring to a full boil, stirring constantly. Boil
for 1 minute. Remove from heat and skim off foam with metal spoon.
Immediately pour into prepared 1/2-pint jars (4), seal and process in
boiling water bath 5 minutes.

Source: Old General Foods booklet, "Gourmet Preserves"
_____

Then there's this, not a congealed salad but mighty fine with pork:

Cherry Chipotle Relish

Recipe by Barb Schaller, 2004 Minnesota State Fair Prestigious Processor
of the Pantry and Gedney State Fair Jam Lady
Barb Schaller 2005

1 or 2 chipotle peppers canned in adobo sauce (there are several in a
6-ounce can)
1/4 cup chopped onion (not too finely cut, but not chunks, either)
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 cup Gedney State Fair Cherry Preserves (Barb Schaller's recipe)
(Available online through mybrandsinc.com)

In food processor workbowl, chop the chipotle pepper, the onion, and the
garlic. Maybe 5-10 pulses.

In a small sauce pan, combine the onions and garlic with the cider
vinegar, bring to boil then stir in the State Fair Cherry Preserves.
Let cool before serving with your favorite grilled meat or cheese. If
it's too spicy for your taste, add more Cherry Preserves and vinegar
until of desired taste and consistency.

Note: This can be rather spicy -- one of those things that's spicy but
you can't stop eating it! You can adjust the heat with more preserves.

I hope you love it as much as we do.

Barb Schaller, 17 September 2005 www.jamlady.eboard.com

Please let me know why you got pectin instead of gelatin. Good luck.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, biig > wrote:

> Since you're the canning guru, I'll ask you. I'm going to make a
> cucumber jelly (savoury) to go with a pork roast. My future DIL gave me
> all the ingredients, but instead of powdered gelatin, she gave me a
> package of liquid pectin. Does this work? How does it measure in
> comparison to a pkg of gelatin? Thanks....I've never done this
> before...
> .....Sharon

One doesn't equal the other, Sharon. :-(
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
biig

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, biig > wrote:
>
> Buy a box of Knox Unflavored Gelatin and use three packets from it.
> You're making a salad for immediate consumption, not long term storage.
> Did you ask her WHY she gave you liquid pectin instead of unflavored
> gelatin? They're not the same thing, though both serve to thicken and
> add body to liquids.
>
> I wanna know why she gave you pectin. Couldn't find unflavored gelatin?
> I don't know if there's more than one brand; a reasonably-sized
> supermarket should have the Knox or similar. I wouldn't try to preserve
> it because you'd have to cook it and pimentos might lose some of their
> color and I'm not into cooking grated cucumber, either. JMO.

She said she couldn't find the gelatin and thought the pectin might
be the same thing. The whole kit (along with a nice dispenser bottle
for the apple cider vinegar, and a chef's apron and the recipe) was a
gift since she had heard me say I've been looking for cucumber jelly
(the sweet version. although I hadn't specified). She is an excellent
cook but hasn't any experience in preserving etc. I'll get the packets
of gelatin and use those....thanks....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking
biig

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, biig > wrote:
> > Georgia Cucumber Jelly
> >
> > 6 med cucumbers\
> > 3 pkg unflavoured gelatin
> > 1/2 cup cold water
> > 2 cups boiling water
> > 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
> > 1 tsp grated onion
> > 1/4 tsp salt
> > 2 drops green food colouring
> > 1/4 cup chopped pimentos
> >
> > Peel cucumbers, seed and grate. Wrap in clean kitchen towel to
> > absorb all moisture for 15 min. Sprinkle gelatin over cold water, add
> > boiling water, and stir until dissolved. Add vinegar, onion, salt, and
> > food colouring. Refridgerate until slight thickened. Stir in grated
> > cucumber and pimentos. Pour into 8 1/2 cup individual molds or 1 14 cup
> > ring mold. Chill 4 hours or until very firm. Serve jelly as an
> > accompaniment to cold meat or fish.

> biig, it's not clear to me if you're wanting to preserve this or just
> want to know if you can sub the pectin for the unflavored gelatin. If
> the former, here are a couple recipes for savoury jellies that could
> well be used as condiments -- the first two were originally posted here
> by Nancy Dooley:
>
> * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
>
> Snipped good recipes

I hadn't planned on preserving it....not my thing....just going to
cut the recipe to 1/3 and take it to the dinner she is having for my
son's birthday. Years ago I went to a church fair and bought a couple
of jars of sweet cucumber jelly. I had mentioned to her that I hadn't
seen any since. She misunderstood and came up with this....bless her
heart.... So I just want to show my appreciation and doing a small batch
for the dinner.....Thanks.....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Sharon wrote:

>>> Georgia Cucumber Jelly
>>>
>>> 6 med cucumbers\
>>> 3 pkg unflavoured gelatin
>>> 1/2 cup cold water
>>> 2 cups boiling water
>>> 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
>>> 1 tsp grated onion
>>> 1/4 tsp salt
>>> 2 drops green food colouring
>>> 1/4 cup chopped pimentos
>>>
>>> Peel cucumbers, seed and grate. Wrap in clean kitchen towel to
>>> absorb all moisture for 15 min. Sprinkle gelatin over cold water, add
>>> boiling water, and stir until dissolved. Add vinegar, onion, salt, and
>>> food colouring. Refridgerate until slight thickened. Stir in grated
>>> cucumber and pimentos. Pour into 8 1/2 cup individual molds or 1 14 cup
>>> ring mold. Chill 4 hours or until very firm. Serve jelly as an
>>> accompaniment to cold meat or fish.

> I hadn't planned on preserving it....not my thing....just going to
> cut the recipe to 1/3 and take it to the dinner she is having for my
> son's birthday. Years ago I went to a church fair and bought a couple
> of jars of sweet cucumber jelly. I had mentioned to her that I hadn't
> seen any since. She misunderstood and came up with this....bless her
> heart.... So I just want to show my appreciation and doing a small batch
> for the dinner.....Thanks.....Sharon

Is the recipe above supposed to be sweet, or was that just a comment on the
jelly you bought years ago?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
biig

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> > I hadn't planned on preserving it....not my thing....just going to
> > cut the recipe to 1/3 and take it to the dinner she is having for my
> > son's birthday. Years ago I went to a church fair and bought a couple
> > of jars of sweet cucumber jelly. I had mentioned to her that I hadn't
> > seen any since. She misunderstood and came up with this....bless her
> > heart.... So I just want to show my appreciation and doing a small batch
> > for the dinner.....Thanks.....Sharon

> Is the recipe above supposed to be sweet, or was that just a comment on the
> jelly you bought years ago?
>
> Bob

Just a comment on the sweet jelly I bought at the church fair. The
one above is a savoury.....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, biig > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > In article >, biig > wrote:
> >
> > Buy a box of Knox Unflavored Gelatin and use three packets from it.
> > You're making a salad for immediate consumption, not long term storage.
> > Did you ask her WHY she gave you liquid pectin instead of unflavored
> > gelatin? They're not the same thing, though both serve to thicken and
> > add body to liquids.
> >
> > I wanna know why she gave you pectin. Couldn't find unflavored gelatin?
> > I don't know if there's more than one brand; a reasonably-sized
> > supermarket should have the Knox or similar. I wouldn't try to preserve
> > it because you'd have to cook it and pimentos might lose some of their
> > color and I'm not into cooking grated cucumber, either. JMO.

> She said she couldn't find the gelatin and thought the pectin might
> be the same thing. The whole kit (along with a nice dispenser bottle
> for the apple cider vinegar, and a chef's apron and the recipe) was a
> gift since she had heard me say I've been looking for cucumber jelly
> (the sweet version. although I hadn't specified). She is an excellent
> cook but hasn't any experience in preserving etc. I'll get the packets
> of gelatin and use those....thanks....Sharon

That's the ticket! Good luck with it. Nice thought she had.
-Barb
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
biig

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, biig > wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > >
> > > In article >, biig > wrote:
> > >
> > > Buy a box of Knox Unflavored Gelatin and use three packets from it.
> > > You're making a salad for immediate consumption, not long term storage.
> > > Did you ask her WHY she gave you liquid pectin instead of unflavored
> > > gelatin? They're not the same thing, though both serve to thicken and
> > > add body to liquids.
> > >
> > > I wanna know why she gave you pectin. Couldn't find unflavored gelatin?
> > > I don't know if there's more than one brand; a reasonably-sized
> > > supermarket should have the Knox or similar. I wouldn't try to preserve
> > > it because you'd have to cook it and pimentos might lose some of their
> > > color and I'm not into cooking grated cucumber, either. JMO.

> > She said she couldn't find the gelatin and thought the pectin might
> > be the same thing. The whole kit (along with a nice dispenser bottle
> > for the apple cider vinegar, and a chef's apron and the recipe) was a
> > gift since she had heard me say I've been looking for cucumber jelly
> > (the sweet version. although I hadn't specified). She is an excellent
> > cook but hasn't any experience in preserving etc. I'll get the packets
> > of gelatin and use those....thanks....Sharon

> That's the ticket! Good luck with it. Nice thought she had.
> -Barb

Yes, she's a sweetie. A good cook, very organized, imaginative and
generous... My son is a lucky man....Sharon

ping:Barb biig General Cooking 7 03-07-2008 01:54 PM
Ping: Barb, are you out there? Virginia Tadrzynski Preserving 0 28-11-2006 05:13 AM
Ping: Barb limey General Cooking 2 22-09-2004 06:32 PM
Ping Barb Grismalkin General Cooking 3 23-08-2004 03:12 AM
Ping: Barb! Kate Connally General Cooking 2 30-07-2004 06:39 PM