Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spicy question

I have a recipe that calls for "fenugreek".

I have in my cupboard "fennel seeds".

Questions:

1) Are fenugreek and fennel seeds the same thing?

2) If no, are they interchangable in recipes? Or are they SO different
that they can't be...

I have absolutely no idea what each is, so I will appreciate your
answers!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dancing Queen

fenugreek is good if you are trying to increase breastmilk supply!

chris

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a recipe that calls for "fenugreek".
>
> I have in my cupboard "fennel seeds".
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Are fenugreek and fennel seeds the same thing?
>
> 2) If no, are they interchangable in recipes? Or are they SO different
> that they can't be...
>
> I have absolutely no idea what each is, so I will appreciate your
> answers!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a recipe that calls for "fenugreek".
>
> I have in my cupboard "fennel seeds".
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Are fenugreek and fennel seeds the same thing?
>
> 2) If no, are they interchangable in recipes? Or are they SO different
> that they can't be...
>
> I have absolutely no idea what each is, so I will appreciate your
> answers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenugreek

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a recipe that calls for "fenugreek".
>
> I have in my cupboard "fennel seeds".
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Are fenugreek and fennel seeds the same thing?
>
> 2) If no, are they interchangable in recipes? Or are they SO different
> that they can't be...
>
> I have absolutely no idea what each is, so I will appreciate your
> answers!

They are very much not the same thing. To find out about fenugreek seeds,
Google is your friend. Also try using the word 'methi' (note that both
leaves and seed are used in cooking, but used differently).

Shaun aRe