How long does pizza dough keep in a fridge?

Old 28-12-2005, 09:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Default How long does pizza dough keep in a fridge?

Hi again,

I was wondering how long pizza dough keeps in the fridge. I thought it
might be good to simply keep decent quantities in the fridge and pull
it out when im hungry and roll me a pizza base without all the mess of
flour, sticky fingers etc everytime.

Also, how about pizza sauce? Does that keep long before it starts going
off taste?

Cheers

Burnsy

Old 29-12-2005, 12:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi again,

I was wondering how long pizza dough keeps in the fridge. I thought it
might be good to simply keep decent quantities in the fridge and pull
it out when im hungry and roll me a pizza base without all the mess of
flour, sticky fingers etc everytime.

It will last about 5 days in the fridge. After that the yeast start to die
and the dough turns a grayish color. It can still be cooked and eaten but
it will have a sourdough flavor and it will not rise very much. Perfectly
edible just the same. You can also freeze dough. I keep a few 1 pound
balls of dough in the freezer. Double wrap them and they'll keep 6 months.

Also, how about pizza sauce? Does that keep long before it starts going
off taste?

Sauce is good for about a week or two. You can also freeze the sauce.
Being acidic it keeps longer but it will grow mold after a couple weeks.

Paul

Old 29-12-2005, 01:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

I usually freeze the dough. Fifty percent of the time I remember it,
and just do a quick 'auto-defrost' thing in the microwave. The other
fifty percent of the time, it hardens into a freezer-burned rock and
gets thrown out three (conservative estimate) years later. I freeze
sauce that way too -- only I'd say 70 percent of it never makes it to
the microwave.

These days, I like to make pizza dough in a bread machine -- easy, and
takes 45 minutes total.

Karen MacInerney
Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
www.karenmacinerney.com

Old 29-12-2005, 01:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On 28 Dec 2005 17:29:28 -0800, "Karen MacInerney"
wrote:

These days, I like to make pizza dough in a bread machine -- easy, and
takes 45 minutes total.

These days, I make pizza dough in the food processor, per instructions
in Peter Reinhardts's American Pie. Pretty fast, outside of the
resting period to let the gluten relax. And it is marvelous tasting,
especially after the longer fermentation period.

Christine
Old 31-12-2005, 04:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:35:46 -0800, Christine Dabney
wrote:

These days, I make pizza dough in the food processor, per instructions
in Peter Reinhardts's American Pie. Pretty fast, outside of the
resting period to let the gluten relax. And it is marvelous tasting,
especially after the longer fermentation period.

Christine

could you share Peter's recipe for the pizza dough Christine?

Bill

Old 31-12-2005, 07:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

wrote:

These days, I make pizza dough in the food processor, per instructions
in Peter Reinhardts's American Pie. Pretty fast, outside of the
resting period to let the gluten relax. And it is marvelous tasting,
especially after the longer fermentation period.

Christine

could you share Peter's recipe for the pizza dough Christine?

Bill

Bill, do you have a library? This book has many different pizza dough
recipes in it, it is full of them. You might choose any one of them to your
liking. Almost every library and bookstore has his books.
Dee Dee

Old 01-01-2006, 03:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:34:25 -0500, "Dee Randall"
wrote:

Christine

could you share Peter's recipe for the pizza dough Christine?

Bill

Bill, do you have a library? This book has many different pizza dough
recipes in it, it is full of them. You might choose any one of them to your
liking. Almost every library and bookstore has his books.
Dee Dee

well, I suppose I could go to the library? I really want to try the
recipe on page 114 of Peter's book. Has anyone in this group tried
this recipe?

Bill

Old 01-01-2006, 04:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

wrote:

Christine

could you share Peter's recipe for the pizza dough Christine?

Bill

Bill, do you have a library? This book has many different pizza dough
recipes in it, it is full of them. You might choose any one of them to
your
liking. Almost every library and bookstore has his books.
Dee Dee

well, I suppose I could go to the library? I really want to try the
recipe on page 114 of Peter's book. Has anyone in this group tried
this recipe?

Bill

Yes, I have tried the recipe on p. 114 (NY style), but I prefer the one on
page 11 (New Haven style).
I don't copy recipes from books to ngs or on the internet because I feel
there is a copyright problem. That might not be true, but it is my opinion
and others on this ng have disagreed, and you may get the recipe from
someone who disagrees with me. I respect authors' rights to their work
product, even though these books are at the library and one can copy all
these wish from them for their personal use, but not for thousands on the
internet.
But sometimes you may locate a recipe that someone has done this by googling
for it.
Dee Dee